Official GDT: Pens vs Isles 10/30/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Isles 10/30/18

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Don’t see the Islanders playing defense in the third. There’s another 4-6 goals left to be scored in this game.

They are up by 3... they'll just shut down the neutral zone.

Islanders trying to clog the neutral zone, but not doing a real good job
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 pm

You would think we would get a call or two with what the score is.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm

What an unlucky dumb game.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

That's game. Mooseknuckle no less. :face:
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

And they call a bull **** ticky tack hold on us.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Wyopen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:Tired legs. Can't be too upset after the great road trip.

Why is there always an excuse for this team’s failures? The Islanders played 3 games in 4 nights, shouldn’t they have the tired legs?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Sid wanted to win for the city.
Get well quickly K Letang
No idea of why Greiss was put in...an injury
I was happy to stand and clap for the police brought out to drop the puck! Well done pens.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:49 pm

penny lane wrote:Sid wanted to win for the city.
Get well quickly K Letang
No idea of why Greiss was put in...an injury
I was happy to stand and clap for the police brought out to drop the puck! Well done pens.

Ok K Letang. Thanks for clarifying.
Who is Greiss? Where’s his first initial? I’m lost.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:21 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I’m lost.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Wyopen wrote:
Crashguy66 wrote:Tired legs. Can't be too upset after the great road trip.

Why is there always an excuse for this team’s failures? The Islanders played 3 games in 4 nights, shouldn’t they have the tired legs?

Why is there always a need to complain about how bad a division-leading team is?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 pm

Aside from a few breakdowns, I actually liked the Pens game and pace tonight. Their offense is starting to become dangerous, a far cry from what they looked like for the first few games of the season. A couple early posts and bad bounces could have changed this game. I don't blame Murray for tonight, at least 3 goals were cross ice one timers.

Pens had a 64 CF% and a 29-14 edge in scoring chances, including a 15-4 advantage in high danger attempts. I'd take those numbers any night, because 9 times out of 10 you'd win. Unfortunately luck and bounces play a huge part in this sport.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:46 am

Owchar76 wrote:Aside from a few breakdowns, I actually liked the Pens game and pace tonight. Their offense is starting to become dangerous, a far cry from what they looked like for the first few games of the season. A couple early posts and bad bounces could have changed this game. I don't blame Murray for tonight, at least 3 goals were cross ice one timers.

Pens had a 64 CF% and a 29-14 edge in scoring chances, including a 15-4 advantage in high danger attempts. I'd take those numbers any night, because 9 times out of 10 you'd win. Unfortunately luck and bounces play a huge part in this sport.

I could do without leaving people wide open in the slot for a feed from behind the net. The 3 on 1s weren't real keen, either. While they may have had the good advanced stats, this is one game that shows them as useless because the defense left their goalie out to dry too many times.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:54 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:Aside from a few breakdowns, I actually liked the Pens game and pace tonight. Their offense is starting to become dangerous, a far cry from what they looked like for the first few games of the season. A couple early posts and bad bounces could have changed this game. I don't blame Murray for tonight, at least 3 goals were cross ice one timers.

I could do without leaving people wide open in the slot for a feed from behind the net. The 3 on 1s weren't real keen, either. While they may have had the good advanced stats, this is one game that shows them as useless because the defense left their goalie out to dry too many times.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of leaving guys wide open all night long. But unlike the Montreal game at home (which I left early because they played so poorly), they showed plenty of spark in between of their letdowns to at least make it watchable.
First home game after a long road trip is frequently a stinker, hope the Leafs game works out much better. I hate to be surrounded by rowdy, drunk and obnoxious TML fans when the Leafs are winning.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:51 am

ejd43 wrote:Anyone know where I can find that pregame video tribute? My old man missed it and wants to see it.

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1057407283322331138
Admin
Site Admin

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

I think Owchar alluded to those wide open chances when he/she talked about the breakdowns. The advanced stats aren't useless, and history has proven their worth. Controlling play with numbers like this should only yield good results but as was said, sometimes luck and bounces can overpower the advanced stats.....however I don't think it can consistently do it, or else it wouldn't be luck.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:53 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

I think Owchar alluded to those wide open chances when he/she talked about the breakdowns. The advanced stats aren't useless, and history has proven their worth. Controlling play with numbers like this should only yield good results but as was said, sometimes luck and bounces can overpower the advanced stats.....however I don't think it can consistently do it, or else it wouldn't be luck.

Controlling play only works to win games when you don't give up a lot of grade-A chances. Last night was a perfect example. When you control the puck, but repeatedly leave people wide open for slam dunk goals, it doesn't matter how much you controlled the puck, you're going to lose. Last night, the Pens had outrageous CF percentages, and the were lucky they didn't lose by more than they did.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:57 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Controlling play only works to win games when you don't give up a lot of grade-A chances. Last night was a perfect example. When you control the puck, but repeatedly leave people wide open for slam dunk goals, it doesn't matter how much you controlled the puck, you're going to lose. Last night, the Pens had outrageous CF percentages, and the were lucky they didn't lose by more than they did.

But with that controlled play came a lot of good scoring chances that they actually got unlucky on. Pucks sitting in the crease, 2 posts, a couple bad bounces. The Pens actually could have had 5-6 goals, so even giving up grade A chances, they had a chance to win because they controlled play and came up short on some good opportunities.

That being said, giving up Grade A chances like that won't do them any favours going forward.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins