Game 10 vs Islanders - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 10 vs Islanders - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am

Pens lose 6-3

- Bob Errey said it best, the first 30 minutes of this game might have been the Pens best start, but they were down 3-2 :shock:
- First game back after long road trip effect, coming off big wins effect, all negated by the energy of the building and the desire to win.... but puck luck >> all
- If I had to isolate one guy who had a tough night, it would be Chad Ruhwedel. He looked more like the guy who rode the pines the first 7 games of the year
- Tavares who? Barzal looks so good out there, Seriously, this kid is money and will put up buckloads of points for the Isles for a long time
- Has Sprong even gotten one of his killer wristers on net yet this year? I've seen that shot, and its killer, but where is it? Limited mins I know, but still, can we see one?
- Simon looked good playing with Sid, but I'm starting to get more concerned about Guentzel, is he getting the chances he was, or is he deferring to Sid too much?
- Tommy 2Ks got a fluky goal, but its a fitting one. Glad to see the Pens faithful give him some loving during the video tribute
- DeSmith looks like he belongs in the NHL. Confidence does that to a player and he was full of it last night
- Pens missed Letang last night, plain and simple
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 10 vs Islanders - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby largegarlic on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 am

That's the sort of game that if both teams played the exact same way, the Pens win the game 9 times out of 10. I guess they used up a lot of their luck in the last two games.

That said, what was the deal with all of the guys left wide open at the back door? I was at the game, so we didn't always get the best replays. I think Ruhwedel and Johnson were on the ice for the first two goals, but I can't say for sure it that was their fault.

Watching Maatta and Johnson carry the puck up ice for the 2nd PP was just painful. I liked Sprong playing on the point for the 2nd unit in the preseason. At least he can skate faster than 5 mph.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 am

- pretty crazy that Riikola replaces Letang on the 1st pairing D and on the PP1. I kept hoping he'd crank up that big windup...
- Bottom 2 lines didn't have the jump that you'd want to see, plus the Isles 4th line... well, their the best in the league, don't ya know
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Skatingpen on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 am

Very concerned about Murray
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am

Skatingpen wrote:Very concerned about Murray

It had nothing to do with Murray. There has never been a goalie that would have stopped any of those.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Very concerned about Murray

It had nothing to do with Murray. There has never been a goalie that would have stopped any of those.

Yeah, the only one I could maybe fault Murray on a little bit was the 4th one where Eberle walked out from the side of the net. I thought Murray could have been more active in challenging him...but then he would have risked Eberle going shortside, so...

Other than that, the goals were slam dunks from right on the doorstep.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby danish_penguin on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 am

3rd and 4th lines were awful.
danish_penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:24 am

Game turned on bounces (off the ref leading to the 4th goal, not to mention Kuhnhackl's) and a questionable goal (that looked to be offside even if the review had the goal stand). The other three goals... breakdowns in coverage. In the end, the Pens scored enough to offset the mistakes but not the bounces. PP looked like a hot mess - score on the 1st PP chance and maybe it plays differently. But I suspect not.

If you would have told me going in they had the western Canada road trip plus the first game back and were 4-1 in that stretch I'd have taken it. But it sure doesn't feel as good when they went 4-0 then lose that one at home.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:45 am

Seems to me, that Murray depends mostly on positioning and he is solid when the defense keeps the other team honest. But, when the guys in front of him leave back doors WIDE open, he is not your guy. Can't do what Fleury did and DeSmith made a nice save on a back door play that was almost like the second goal.

Do refs use grainy Ipads on video reviews? Plus, Eberle seemed to have done on Hagelin what was a penalty earlier in the game.

Pens looked they were playing the Islanders AHL affiliate in the first 30 minutes. Just crazy to have been down 3-2 at that point.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm

If you watch every replay of the Isles 6 goals, I think you could come away with the D being responsible for maybe 2 of them. The forwards were not coming back and that has been a problem in all of our losses. Geno's line was terrible again getting back and the one goal, Phil's effort is so bad my son and I actually LOL'd.

JJ is not an NHL d-man but we know that already. Outside of the one pinch, Riikola looked like our best D on the ice. Elite skating and puck-handling has been evident and he should continue to develop. Thought he did great on the PP but we just couldn't bury those cross ice feeds.

No comment on the goalies, mites could've scored on Price with the D coverage we were giving.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Tommy Kuhnhackl gets the video tribute, a goal against his former team......and then sent to the minors the following day. :face:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Kevin Gorman Retweeted
Josh Rowntree
‏ @JRown32
18h18 hours ago

Nice words from NYI Coach Barry Trotz on Pittsburgh: "This city is a special city... This city is strong. It's a gorgeous city. The people are great and I know the healing process here will start. And they'll rally around their sports team and community." @937theFan
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:34 pm

penny lane wrote:
Kevin Gorman Retweeted
Josh Rowntree
‏ @JRown32
18h18 hours ago

Nice words from NYI Coach Barry Trotz on Pittsburgh: "This city is a special city... This city is strong. It's a gorgeous city. The people are great and I know the healing process here will start. And they'll rally around their sports team and community." @937theFan

Hate the man as a coach. From what I've seen of him away from the rink, though, he seems like a really good guy.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:31 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:If you watch every replay of the Isles 6 goals, I think you could come away with the D being responsible for maybe 2 of them. The forwards were not coming back and that has been a problem in all of our losses. Geno's line was terrible again getting back and the one goal, Phil's effort is so bad my son and I actually LOL'd.

JJ is not an NHL d-man but we know that already. Outside of the one pinch, Riikola looked like our best D on the ice. Elite skating and puck-handling has been evident and he should continue to develop. Thought he did great on the PP but we just couldn't bury those cross ice feeds.

No comment on the goalies, mites could've scored on Price with the D coverage we were giving.

When you're giving up one timers across the slot and from behind the net, it's hard to fault the goaltending.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins