Game 11 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 11 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:09 am

Pens lose 3-2 in Shoot Out

- Greiss was the difference, he made some big stops, one more than Murray. That poke check was MAF like, hot goalie stole this game
- Isles are tied with the Pens, so while none of us like only taking 1 of a possible 4 vs Isles on b2b, they are a decent club
- Isles benefited from the old school reff'ing that took place, right down to the even up calls. Isles are still carrying some thugs, so ref style suited them
- Pens special teams were big factors last night. Pens powerplay went 2/4, but in such a close game, they needed one more.
- PK (Letang) looked bad on that shorty, not sure if he thought he had more support, but it was too easy for the Isles to get that breakaway
- Phil on the breakaway.... He's been so money... Looks to me like Greiss has seen the highlights, loved the big glove twirl after save (ala Patrick Roy/MAF)
- No question that HCMS is very hard on Sprong & Simon. It works for some people, not for others.... let's hope these guys come around to it.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 11 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 am

- On a personal level...I watched the game on Center Ice and there was only the Isles telecast to watch. Now I know that the home team announcers (and telecast) is gonna be..."homerish", the Isles telecast was the best/worst example of this. The Isles goals were shown in replay as many as 6 times for one goal, and I don't remember any more than twice for any Pens goal. I know there were lots of games last night which limis the number of both home and away telecasts, but I absolutely hope I don't have to watch any more games telecast by the Isles network.
- I don't like to trash unis, but the Isles uniforms are simply...butt ugly.
- Funny that on a day when Murray plays an excellent game in goal, the Pens can't seem to score enough to get him a win.
- While the Pens don't have any of their "superstars" out of commission currently, the guys who are out right now really seem to be missed.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:25 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:- On a personal level...I watched the game on Center Ice and there was only the Isles telecast to watch. Now I know that the home team announcers (and telecast) is gonna be..."homerish", the Isles telecast was the best/worst example of this. The Isles goals were shown in replay as many as 6 times for one goal, and I don't remember any more than twice for any Pens goal. I know there were lots of games last night which limis the number of both home and away telecasts, but I absolutely hope I don't have to watch any more games telecast by the Isles network.
- I don't like to trash unis, but the Isles uniforms are simply...butt ugly.
- Funny that on a day when Murray plays an excellent game in goal, the Pens can't seem to score enough to get him a win.
- While the Pens don't have any of their "superstars" out of commission currently, the guys who are out right now really seem to be missed.

BEPF

The Islanders' feed was atrocious. Bad camera work (or bad cameras, I couldn't tell, all I know was half of the game was blurry). Poor sound quality - you could barely hear the announcers over the crowd noise. Really whiny homer announcers.
Last edited by LimerickPensFan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 am

The short-handed goal really got me mad. Both Letang and Malkin stood there and watched Bailey skate down the ice behind them. Neither one thought that they might want to actually try to cover him.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:56 am

- It was an entertaining game, but one the Pens should have won. :(
- Letang's lack of coverage on the breakaway was horrible. Why would you pinch with a guy already behind you? :evil:
- His shoot-out shot selection also sucked. I would have rather seen Phil out there for that.
- I agree. Islanders' 3rd uniform is horrible. They're better off going back to the Gorton Fisherman, or even Mrs. Paul's! :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Weegie on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:00 am

Why is it that no matter how good the Pens are, no matter how much they can wallop other teams, when they play the Islanders they always struggle, ALWAYS??? The Pens could be in first or second place and the Isles near last yet they are always a troublesome team for Pittsburgh, do they match up that well with them or what? And this has been many years like this....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 am

Anyone have thoughts on the 3rd line. Matter of fact the bottom 6 haven't been the greatest. Hopefully Brassard plays 3rd line, Cullen & Sheahan move down to the 4th. Last night they seemed always to be playing defense. I know its early but they have been offensively challenged.
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:39 am

Trotz was a good selection for the Isles. His kind of team. No superstars(not putting their second year guy in there yet), bunch of second liners, heavy fourth line. Probably good enough to squeak into the playoffs, ala old Nashville teams.

The best game Greiss will play this year.

Not sure why Sully burned a timeout to put the first unit on that power play. Could have brought them out fresh near the 5 on 3. Backfired.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:58 pm

NJ Penguins Fan wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the 3rd line. Matter of fact the bottom 6 haven't been the greatest. Hopefully Brassard plays 3rd line, Cullen & Sheahan move down to the 4th. Last night they seemed always to be playing defense. I know its early but they have been offensively challenged.

I'm going to have something on this later today on my blog. In short, the Penguins bottom 6 centers currently are......not good at all.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:24 pm

- forgot to mention the big hit by Cullen.... accidental, but he was ready and floored the Islander... I think it was Subway Sandwich of the Game! Happy Bday Dad!
- Isles (& other teams) are still going high on Murray. If it was all directed at the glove, s'okay. MM gets run & takes a lot of shots off mask - makes me nervous
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Penspal wrote:- forgot to mention the big hit by Cullen.... accidental, but he was ready and floored the Islander... I think it was Subway Sandwich of the Game! Happy Bday Dad!
- Isles (& other teams) are still going high on Murray. If it was all directed at the glove, s'okay. MM gets run & takes a lot of shots off mask - makes me nervous

I was ready for Murray to go all Barrasso/Hextall/Billy Smith on the next Islander that came anywhere near his crease.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:07 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Penspal wrote:- forgot to mention the big hit by Cullen.... accidental, but he was ready and floored the Islander... I think it was Subway Sandwich of the Game! Happy Bday Dad!

I was ready for Murray to go all Barrasso/Hextall/Billy Smith on the next Islander that came anywhere near his crease.

I wish he would, Lord knows the Penguins have never once stood up for their goaltenders.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 pm

BurghThing wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I wish he would, Lord knows the Penguins have never once stood up for their goaltenders.

Big Rig, you reading this? Tune up the next goon who runs Murray.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Penspal wrote:
BurghThing wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Big Rig, you reading this? Tune up the next goon who runs Murray.

I guess he doesn't read the board, or they just don't care.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins