Official GDT: Pens vs Devils 11/5/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Devils 11/5/18

Postby BurghThing on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:24 pm

DelPen wrote:To not play Sprong with Sid or Geno at this point is stupid.

Not but he'll trot out Rust with the top line :roll:
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby danish_penguin on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Turnovers are killing us.
danish_penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 pm

ZAR 9 points in 11 games.

Just sayin.

But no, keep trotting out Rust and Grant and Sheahan and Cullen and Hagelin and Sprong and
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:30 pm

BurghThing wrote:ZAR 9 points in 11 games.

Just sayin.

But no, keep trotting out Rust and Grant and Sheahan and Cullen and Hagelin and Sprong and

He should be up tomorrow or Wednesday if grant needs to clear waivers first.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenGator88 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:30 pm

If the problem is with HCMS becoming stale and/or getting tuned out by the team, who should Rutherford pick to replace him?
PenGator88
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Team might need a shot in the arm.

Time to make a hockey trade JR. You’ve been resting on your laurels for the last 2 seasons.
Time to make it happen.

Speed, depth, scoring, attack. Those are your Pittsburgh Penguins.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 pm

KG wrote:Team might need a shot in the arm.

Time to make a hockey trade JR. You’ve been resting on your laurels for the last 2 seasons.
Time to make it happen.

Speed, depth, scoring, attack. Those are your Pittsburgh Penguins.

More like, slow, shallow, weak, ineffective. These are your Pittsburgh Penguins.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghThing on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:37 pm

4 on 2, don't even take a shot. These are your Pittsburgh Penguins.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm

PenGator88 wrote:If the problem is with HCMS becoming stale and/or getting tuned out by the team, who should Rutherford pick to replace him?

That’s the problem. I don’t think there’s anyone good floating around.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 pm

There’s going to be a shorty to make it 6-1
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crashguy66 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Stevens got fired by Kings. ;)
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm

No way Sully gets fired. Nor should he. Team need s to get back to their indefinite. Speed and depth. Get some kids up and let them play.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Time to start trimming the dead weight.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:57 pm

When all of your superstar players play this poorly/lazily, it doesn't matter how hard the Hörnqvists, Oleksiaks, and Johnsons of the world are trying or how much they care about what they're doing.

Also, we've seen that Sullivan is not a great coach when it comes to adjustments. This system is exactly the same as it was in Sullivan's 1st season behind the bench but the team is somewhat older/slower. What we're seeing now is every team playing the Penguins the exact same way, every loss looks like a carbon copy of the previous loss, and we're again seeing zero adjustments in the way the Pens are playing. We're seeing the same shoddy line combinations, the same poor player usage, and the same mistakes being made over & over. A coach who could/would adjust his team's style of play would've certainly, at the very least, done something (anything) to stem the tide of breakaways & odd-man rushes that this team just hemorrhages constantly.

Tell me that there's absolutely nothing that can be done to fix the consistently miserable line changes? Is it possible that the line combos change so often that maybe sometimes the players aren't really sure who's actually supposed to be jumping over the boards?

The book is out on how to beat the Penguins, and the Penguins look like a team who can't/won't alter the text.
Last edited by Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:01 pm

The Pens defense corps and goaltending is both one of the worst in the league. There is no chance in hell this team can win a cup, let alone win multiple playoff series.

Well done GMJR for bringing in 42 year old Cullen and signing #73 for 5 LONG years. Its only going to be downhill from here.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Lesky wrote:Well done GMJR for bringing in 42 year old Cullen and signing #73 for 5 LONG years. Its only going to be downhill from here.

I saw it written somewhere recently that Matt Cullen is Rutherford's Rob Scuderi. Pretty accurate, that.

But, the manner in which he's been used to this point this season is almost criminally negligent coaching.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Lesky wrote:Well done GMJR for bringing in 42 year old Cullen and signing #73 for 5 LONG years. Its only going to be downhill from here.

I saw it written somewhere recently that Matt Cullen is Rutherford's Rob Scuderi. Pretty accurate, that.

That was me. Both Shero and Rutherford went after past Cup players Scuderi and Cullen, respectively, and both were brought back past their usefulness.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

The Caps outskated the Pens pretty badly last playoffs, and GMJR has only made things worse since then. I also think the Pens need to invest in a veteran goaltender if they are to have a sniff in the playoffs before Sid and Geno are out of their primes. I feel every year leaning on Murray will be bound to fail - and I predict the Pens brass will realize it when Sid and Geno are too old.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

That was me. Both Shero and Rutherford went after past Cup players Scuderi and Cullen, respectively, and both were brought back past their usefulness.

It was you. Thanks.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Lesky wrote:The Pens defense corps and goaltending is both one of the worst in the league. There is no chance in hell this team can win a cup, let alone win multiple playoff series.

Well done GMJR for bringing in 42 year old Cullen and signing #73 for 5 LONG years. Its only going to be downhill from here.

I tried telling people that Cullen had lost it last year. I watched him live and on tv and he wasn’t the same.
But nope, some people wouldn’t hear it. We were bringing back Dad, he couldn’t be bad. You put on a Pens jersey and all your troubles disappear, you become great. Well not Cullen, he’s 42. Terrible signing.

Same goes for Johnson. The numbers show he’s an anchor, just like he’s been his whole career! But nope, people said we had Gonchar to magically fix him. A new system, better team, better coach and on and on. Again a terrible signing.

Our D in general is overpaid and underperforming. Add in Murray stinking and our bottom 6 being a train wreck and here we have it.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:When all of your superstar players play this poorly/lazily, it doesn't matter how hard the Hörnqvists, Oleksiaks, and Johnsons of the world are trying or how much they care about what they're doing.

Also, we've seen that Sullivan is not a great coach when it comes to adjustments. This system is exactly the same as it was in Sullivan's 1st season behind the bench but the team is somewhat older/slower. What we're seeing now is every team playing the Penguins the exact same way, every loss looks like a carbon copy of the previous loss, and we're again seeing zero adjustments in the way the Pens are playing. We're seeing the same shoddy line combinations, the same poor player usage, and the same mistakes being made over & over. A coach who could/would adjust his team's style of play would've certainly, at the very least, done something (anything) to stem the tide of breakaways & odd-man rushes that this team just hemorrhages constantly.

Tell me that there's absolutely nothing that can be done to fix the consistently miserable line changes? Is it possible that the line combos change so often that maybe sometimes the players aren't really sure who's actually supposed to be jumping over the boards?

The book is out on how to beat the Penguins, and the Penguins look like a team who can't/won't alter the text.

I won’t believe it until the players are caught in an Uber talking about it.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Traveling for work tomorrow, so, here are a few

- Matt Cullen was 1 for 4 on faceoffs tonight. He cleanly lost a faceoff on New Jersey's 1st and 3rd goal. Faceoffs is supposed to be a strength of his.
- The Maatta-Oleksiak pairing struggled mightily, and, it looked to be mainly Maatta as the culprit. Oleksiak got multiple shifts away from Maatta, mostly with Dumoulin, and his numbers were solid then. Maatta is struggling badly. The Maatta-Oleksiak pairing was on for 3 goals against tonight, and looked bad on the goals.
- Jack Johnson with Letang is an interesting pairing. There is no sheltering Johnson's minutes when paired with Letang. While he wasn't with him the whole game, Johnson actually looked better paired with Letang. I also think that Letang and Dumo are the clear cut best defenders on this team, and it is time to split them up to try and even out the defense.
- With Oleksiak's goal, the defense is now tied with the 3rd and 4th lines in terms of secondary scoring. Defense has 9 goals, and bottom 6 players (Cullen, Sheahan, Brassard, Rust, Sprong, Grant, Hornqvist) also have 9 goals. Hornqvist has 4 of those, and some of those likely came with Sid (1 was a PP goal).
- The statement "Yeah he's not producing, but he is doing a lot of other things well" currently applies to too many players on this team. Hagelin, Cullen, Sheahan, Grant, Rust, Sprong, Brassard....pretty much the entire bottom 6. You can get away with 1, maybe 2 "passengers." Not half your forward group.
- Matt Murray continues to struggle. Casey DeSmith plays in front of the same defense, and has better numbers. Time to start giving DeSmith some more starts.

I see no reason why Zach Aston-Reese and/or Teddy Blueger shouldn't be playing in Wednesday's game. We have the cap space and the roster spots if needed. This team is a hot mess.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Look....we all thought that this team, on paper, was going to be a lot better & deeper this season than what we're seeing. The product on the ice is far less than the sum of it's parts. To me, that's a coaching issue.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 am

FLPensFan wrote:Traveling for work tomorrow, so, here are a few

- Matt Cullen was 1 for 4 on faceoffs tonight. He cleanly lost a faceoff on New Jersey's 1st and 3rd goal. Faceoffs is supposed to be a strength of his.
- The Maatta-Oleksiak pairing struggled mightily, and, it looked to be mainly Maatta as the culprit. Oleksiak got multiple shifts away from Maatta, mostly with Dumoulin, and his numbers were solid then. Maatta is struggling badly. The Maatta-Oleksiak pairing was on for 3 goals against tonight, and looked bad on the goals.
- Jack Johnson with Letang is an interesting pairing. There is no sheltering Johnson's minutes when paired with Letang. While he wasn't with him the whole game, Johnson actually looked better paired with Letang. I also think that Letang and Dumo are the clear cut best defenders on this team, and it is time to split them up to try and even out the defense.
- With Oleksiak's goal, the defense is now tied with the 3rd and 4th lines in terms of secondary scoring. Defense has 9 goals, and bottom 6 players (Cullen, Sheahan, Brassard, Rust, Sprong, Grant, Hornqvist) also have 9 goals. Hornqvist has 4 of those, and some of those likely came with Sid (1 was a PP goal).
- The statement "Yeah he's not producing, but he is doing a lot of other things well" currently applies to too many players on this team. Hagelin, Cullen, Sheahan, Grant, Rust, Sprong, Brassard....pretty much the entire bottom 6. You can get away with 1, maybe 2 "passengers." Not half your forward group.
- Matt Murray continues to struggle. Casey DeSmith plays in front of the same defense, and has better numbers. Time to start giving DeSmith some more starts.

I see no reason why Zach Aston-Reese and/or Teddy Blueger shouldn't be playing in Wednesday's game. We have the cap space and the roster spots if needed. This team is a hot mess.

I saw ZAR and Blueger play against Hershey a couple of Saturdays ago and they looked good. In fact both scored. I agree also that they should be playing Wednesday. Let me ask this question, while I know this will never happen, why don’t they send JJ to WBS? If so, do they lose him to waivers (may be a good thing)? Also does his NHL contract still count against the cap if he’s in the minors? Ethan Prow and Zach Trotman looked good in that game also. Currently Prow has nine points and is +11. Just random thoughts at 6am.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Traveling for work tomorrow, so, here are a few

I saw ZAR and Blueger play against Hershey a couple of Saturdays ago and they looked good. In fact both scored. I agree also that they should be playing Wednesday. Let me ask this question, while I know this will never happen, why don’t they send JJ to WBS? If so, do they lose him to waivers (may be a good thing)? Also does his NHL contract still count against the cap if he’s in the minors? Ethan Prow and Zach Trotman looked good in that game also. Currently Prow has nine points and is +11. Just random thoughts at 6am.

Johnson would have to clear waivers to go to the minors. I don't think he is so bad that nobody would claim him, but, on the flip side, teams may be hesitant simply because he has a lot of term on his contract. Teams making claims are usually making them on younger players, or players with only 1-2 years term.

His cap hit would not count against the Penguins, but the team would still have to pay Johnson his full NHL salary while in WBS. As you say, I don't see this happening, and I don't think Johnson has been so horrible that we are at that point. Matter of fact, I think he actually played quite well last night with Kris Letang.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins