Game 13 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 13 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:44 am

Pens lose 5-1

- Its tough, you can't just point at one or two guys, many guys including the stars are not playing well, or with enough effort
- Finally saw a flicker of emotion from the Pens last night. Win or lose, play like you want to win each and every battle. Sad to see so many empty seats so early
- I expect to see some call ups, something significant needs to take place without blowing this team up. Could they sit Phil :shock: :lol: if he's battling a nagging injury?
- Boyle HT, like a script from the hockey gods... Boyle, a cancer survivor, scores a Natural Hatty tonight, with 2 being touched by the HG's own hands.... crazy mojo/juju right there.
- Murray's not to blame, and I'm not sure how he's going to steal one when the other team gets 3 unstoppable goals... Sure, he could of stopped a couple more, but 3 was enough
- I've seen bad losses after lopsided wins, but maybe after a great streak (like the great canadian road trip) has brought about this drought/curse/pall? Time to break through lads
- LGP loves to have a couple players to dump on, but how can you not dump on them all after these last few efforts?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 13 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 am

You know one of the many cliches of the goalie position, it is not how many saves, sometimes it is when you make the save. After the pens tied it at 1-1; another goal for the devils shortly after.
The players have to be able to count on Murray to make saves.
Last night was a game where a fully functioning Brassard was needed.
If he was could play well in his penguin spot- Matt Cullen would not have to be playing every game.
When Phil is on a line with Sid- it's not a good night. Try Jake with Evgeni... that was worked in the past.

The goals piled on and they just fell apart- it happens. It's that next game where a response is needed.
All is not lost. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:41 am

Team really needs a wake-up call and a couple of call ups and demotions is about the only answer feasible right now. Murray needs to go on a short leash also. Despite how lackluster the team is playing in front of him, he does need to be better, not necessarily stealing a victory even, but giving the team a chance to stay in a game long enough to maybe get their act together. While the Pens have been atrocious in anything resembling team D, Murray simply has to play better.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 am

- Another game in which the team looked like they were sleeping off hangovers.
- Phil, we pay you to shoot the puck. Please do it!
- Errey called the team "fragile" last night. He talked about the presence of some passengers. There shouldn't be a crisis of confidence - this team has the ability to beat anyone (if they show up).
- Sprong couldn't hit the side of a barn with his shot last night.
- The Swedish Meatball Line (Hornqvist, Malkin, Hagelin) had a lot of hop, but nothing to show for it.

Very frustrating to watch.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 am

The depth that we were supposed to have on offense has not shown itself yet. I'm starting to think that it never will. Way too many passengers out there. Hockey is a team game and we are falling apart in this aspect. Defensive zone coverage is all about positioning and effort. We aren't in position and aren't giving the effort. Because of these breakdowns, Murray is facing way too many high quality scoring chances. He has lost confidence. Maatta and Oleksiak were a train wreck yesterday. How do you give up so many breakaways??????? It is all about reading the play and not letting the player get behind you. Time for a roster shake up.......may a coaching change. I don't know but the team has gotten stale.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:04 am

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:The depth that we were supposed to have on offense has not shown itself yet. I'm starting to think that it never will. Way too many passengers out there. Hockey is a team game and we are falling apart in this aspect. Defensive zone coverage is all about positioning and effort. We aren't in position and aren't giving the effort. Because of these breakdowns, Murray is facing way too many high quality scoring chances. He has lost confidence. Maatta and Oleksiak were a train wreck yesterday. How do you give up so many breakaways??????? It is all about reading the play and not letting the player get behind you. Time for a roster shake up.......may a coaching change. I don't know but the team has gotten stale.

Quenneville is available :idea: lol
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 am

Thank goodness for Metro parity.

Good day for bridge jumping.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 am

One observation from last night:

The Devils seemed to get shots on net when they were available. The Pens, on the other hand, left shot opportunities on the table looking for something else/better.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 pm

relantel wrote:One observation from last night:

The Devils seemed to get shots on net when they were available. The Pens, on the other hand, left shot opportunities on the table looking for something else/better.

There is a reason why the Pens #1 PP unit is 1 for their last 19. They want to "wow" you when they score. Isn't enough to just put something in, they want the highlight reel garbage.

Please put Riikola back in. Choose any of these clowns to remove. How could it get worse? And bring ZAR back up while you're at it.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Didn't see the game, I listened to some of it though.

Pens are in a little slump, won't be the last time this season. It is concerning though, the performances at home.

Maybe a road game against a rival is just what they need right now.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Even if Blueger & Aston-Reese are called up, who from the current lineup do any of you think is going to sit?

Cullen? You're out of your mind. Rust? Not a chance. Kessel? Haha, no.

It'll be Sprong & Grant who sit, and it'll change nothing.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:Even if Blueger & Aston-Reese are called up, who from the current lineup do any of you think is going to sit?

Cullen? You're out of your mind. Rust? Not a chance. Kessel? Haha, no.

It'll be Sprong & Grant who sit, and it'll change nothing.

idk. As someone already said, we slump. We will slump again. It happens. My problem in this is that every game Cullen gets he is robbing some younger player from developing in the NHL.

Hate to say it but the lack of injuries (because we are playing like complete wusses) is ultimately the issue here. Normally a couple guys would have gone down by now but all we lost was Schultz and they won't play Riikola because the ghost of Byslma is walking the hallways.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 pm

ZAR and Garret Wilson called up. Grant sent down.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm

No Teddy for Cullen, sad.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:ZAR and Garret Wilson called up. Grant sent down.

Makes sense, as they are the top 2 scorers in WBS, although, this means they still dont see Cullen as a problem......which......is a problem.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Sprong will sit.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:15 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Makes sense, as they are the top 2 scorers in WBS, although, this means they still dont see Cullen as a problem......which......is a problem.

For sure. Craig Adams 2.0
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcmforless on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Sure picked the wrong time to come to town to enjoy some Pens games. Those two games are the worse two home games I've seen them play in many years and to play them back to back is BRUTAL! One more game left before I return west, sure hope they can pull out one win :(
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 am

Penspal wrote:Sad to see so many empty seats so early

Is this a criticism of the fans, or just a comment on the sad quality of play that has been giving at the PPGPA this season? Because while I will criticize people coming late or leaving early in close games, leaving a 5-1 or 5-0 blowout isn’t on my list of fan complaints. I think I have been entertained during exactly three home games this season, Capitals (although Geno gave up a point), Vegas, and the Islanders game. The rest the Pens have sleptwalk through.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:04 am

There no words to accurately describe that fiasco.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am

How to describe the Penguins situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQawHJ38Sc
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am

Mark Madden has the idea that the now mature penguin team should trap. Yeah I said it. :D
https://triblive.com/sports/columnists/ ... d-a-plan-b
Sullivan needs a Plan B.
But what is it?
Mario Lemieux and the ‘92 Stanley Cup champions embraced trapping and counter-attacking when they trailed the Washington Capitals three games to one in the first round of the playoffs.
That would work with the current group. It would take pressure off the defensive corps, which has been a minefield outside of Kris Letang and Brian Dumoulin. Trapping doesn’t have to be a conservative endeavor. Just quickly send four skaters the other way once the puck turns over.

The trap... or for these pens shoot the puck when on the power play. Through all of these suggestions, the teams needs a consistent goalie.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 am

FLPensFan wrote:

You mean because they called up 2 wings instead of Blueger? Could that simply mean the Brassard is coming back? He was day-to-day on Monday, IIRC. I didn't keep up, did he not practice yesterday?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penguins Knight on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:37 pm

The Penguins are on a 0-3-1 winless streak. That is unacceptable.

If you do not score goals, you do not play. I hate all this finesse passing, floating and coasting, play the defense zone, and killing opponents' penalties.

Sullivan needs to coach and discipline the team, or he needs to be coached on how to coach effectively.
Penguins Knight

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins