Official GDT: Pens @ Caps 11/7/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Caps 11/7/18

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:Everything I see on the internet is calling it a "dangerous hit from Malkin." I don't get it. He is gliding straight, he absolutely leans into Oshie. But Oshie instigates nearly all the contact.

Sounds like something a Caps fan would say about a Wilson hit. We can't pretend to have the high road on that stuff, then turn around and complain about this. Malkin had a Malkin night, and you could see that something like this was coming from him. Looks to me like this team slide is really getting to him.

I just really dont think I'm being a homer here. Watched it a 100 times. Malkins shoulder definitely comes up, but Wilson is leaning forward and plants his face right into Malkins Shoulder.

You are. Head contact is head contact.

Other than skating faster, what could Malkin have done differently? Oshie came after him and kept going until his face made contact. If Malkin's shoulder doesn't come up, and it only comes up slightly, Oshie still hits his head against him since he was leaned forward and moving towards Malkin.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Daniel wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:Everything I see on the internet is calling it a "dangerous hit from Malkin." I don't get it. He is gliding straight, he absolutely leans into Oshie. But Oshie instigates nearly all the contact.

Sounds like something a Caps fan would say about a Wilson hit. We can't pretend to have the high road on that stuff, then turn around and complain about this. Malkin had a Malkin night, and you could see that something like this was coming from him. Looks to me like this team slide is really getting to him.

I just really dont think I'm being a homer here. Watched it a 100 times. Malkins shoulder definitely comes up, but Wilson is leaning forward and plants his face right into Malkins Shoulder.

You are. Head contact is head contact.

Other than skating faster, what could Malkin have done differently? Oshie came after him and kept going until his face made contact. If Malkin's shoulder doesn't come up, and it only comes up slightly, Oshie still hits his head against him since he was leaned forward and moving towards Malkin.

Probably nothing, but that's not the point because I don't work for DoPS. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:03 pm

So, I too, really didn't see the hit as big as some think, but, I do see that a lot of Pittsburgh media and national hockey media think it was intentional, so, I won't argue the point. Here's what Oshie had to say, per Isabelle Khurshudyan...

Oshie on Malkin hit: "He maybe thought I was coming to hit him and so he threw the reverse shoulder out there, which I try to do that all the time. I did it at least once tonight. I just wasn't expecting it being on the PK. You don't typically go for hits."

Here is what Isabelle (Caps reporter for Washington Post) tweeted about it: NHL Player Safety looks at every hit every night, so of course they're going to take a longggggg look at Malkin's on Oshie. I think there'll be some internal debate on if Malkin was just bracing for impact.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penguins Knight on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Bad news: The Penguins lost again.

Good news: What Oshie does to others he receives in return. His shenanigans caught up with him.
Penguins Knight

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Daniel wrote:Other than skating faster, what could Malkin have done differently? Oshie came after him and kept going until his face made contact. If Malkin's shoulder doesn't come up, and it only comes up slightly, Oshie still hits his head against him since he was leaned forward and moving towards Malkin.

Probably nothing, but that's not the point. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

In order for it to be a hit to the head, Malkin needs to be the one doing the hitting, not bracing for a hit. If the NHL wants to take it to this point, any player can just skate head first into a taller player and give his team a 5 minute PP.

Obviously Oshie didn't have a concussion or he wouldn't have come back. While skating away from Oshie, Malkin hit him so hard Oshie left his skates?

If Malkin did something wrong, I'd have no problem with his punishment. I think something was going to happen because he was testy, but to punish him because someone skated into his shoulder then flew in the air and almost helicopter to the ground, that just isn't right.

if they suspend him, how will the analysis go? "While skating into the offensive zone with the puck, Malkin was a few feet ahead of Oshie. Oshie skated towards Malkin with an intent to do a body check. Malkin proceeds to move his shoulder about 1/2 an inch up and back, which causes the forward moving and head ducked down Oshie to slam into the shoulder. Even though Malkin was ahead of Oshie and even though Oshie was skating towards him in an aggressive manor, Malkin should have violated the very laws of physics to avoid this hit."
Last edited by Daniel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 pm

FLPensFan wrote:So, I too, really didn't see the hit as big as some think, but, I do see that a lot of Pittsburgh media and national hockey media think it was intentional, so, I won't argue the point. Here's what Oshie had to say, per Isabelle Khurshudyan...

Oshie on Malkin hit: "He maybe thought I was coming to hit him and so he threw the reverse shoulder out there, which I try to do that all the time. I did it at least once tonight. I just wasn't expecting it being on the PK. You don't typically go for hits."

Here is what Isabelle (Caps reporter for Washington Post) tweeted about it: NHL Player Safety looks at every hit every night, so of course they're going to take a longggggg look at Malkin's on Oshie. I think there'll be some internal debate on if Malkin was just bracing for impact.

I'm sure him moving his shoulder slightly was intentional, especially since all he did was move his elbow closer to himself then back to about it's original position. However, there is no way he is going to avoid the hit and no way Oshie's head avoids Malkins shoulder.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 pm

Daniel wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Daniel wrote:Other than skating faster, what could Malkin have done differently? Oshie came after him and kept going until his face made contact. If Malkin's shoulder doesn't come up, and it only comes up slightly, Oshie still hits his head against him since he was leaned forward and moving towards Malkin.

In order for it to be a hit to the head, Malkin needs to be the one doing the hitting, not bracing for a hit. If the NHL wants to take it to this point, any player can just skate head first into a taller player and give his team a 5 minute PP.

Obviously Oshie didn't have a concussion or he wouldn't have come back. While skating away from Oshie, Malkin hit him so hard Oshie left his skates?

If Malkin did something wrong, I'd have no problem with his punishment. I think something was going to happen because he was testy, but to punish him because someone skated into his shoulder then flew in the air and almost helicopter to the ground, that just isn't right.

if they suspend him, how will the analysis go? "While skating into the offensive zone with the puck, Malkin was a few feet ahead of Oshie. Oshie skated towards Malkin with an intent to do a body check. Malkin proceeds to move his shoulder about 1/2 an inch up and back, which causes the forward moving and head ducked down Oshie to slam into the shoulder. Even though Malkin was ahead of Oshie and even though Oshie was skating towards him in an aggressive manor, Malkin should have violated the very laws of physics to avoid this hit."

He's not gonna be suspended.

Probably. Maybe.

Shoot, I don't know. The NHL seems to always be striving for new lows, so..........you know.........
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

What's that now, 2 goals in 3 games? Solid.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

He's not gonna be suspended.

Probably. Maybe.

Shoot, I don't know. The NHL seems to always be striving for new lows, so..........you know.........

Who knows, this league gets harder and harder to watch every year.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 pm

I doubt Malkin will be suspended. Every team has preexisting knowledge how dirty a player Oshie and Tom Wilson are. I rather defend myself rather than entangle myself in a goon's shenanigans.
Penguins Knight

Postby Malkintent on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Probably nothing, but that's not the point because I don't work for DoPS. I'm just calling a spade a spade.[/quote]
So you admit there's nothing Malkin could have done to avoid contact but still think the call was justified?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:38 pm

Malkintent wrote:Probably nothing, but that's not the point because I don't work for DoPS. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
So you admit there's nothing Malkin could have done to avoid contact but still think the call was justified?

Yes. Head contact is head contact. Gotta get it out of the game, right?
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 pm

With the 1-0 lead the Pens managed to miss like 5 slam dunk goals.....

and then left Ovechkin all alone.....nothing dangerous happening, just keep Ovie covered, but I guess thats too hard to remember :face:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Malkintent wrote:Probably nothing, but that's not the point because I don't work for DoPS. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

It's impossible to get it out of the game, or players would be fined for pucks bouncing off the goalies mask. Malkin didn't intent to hit Oshie at all, let alone in the head. He reacted to Oshie skating into him. Even if Malkin lifts his shoulder, the only way there is contact is if Oshie causes it.

If you're being sarcastic, then nevermind. :fist:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 am

Whilst i fully advocate eliminating headshots from the game this was the wrong call. There were two obvious embellishment calls that weren't made v the Caps and the fact it was Holtby who followed his dive with some great saves and Oshie who scored the winning goal after essentially driving his head into Malkin leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:24 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

Only way to do that completely is to mandate all hockey players must be exactly 6' tall.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:05 pm

C'mon, now. If the two players were reversed, this place would be whipped into a froth right now calling for a 10-game suspension for Oshie & you damn well know it.

Why all the unfiltered hypocrisy?
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:C'mon, now. If the two players were reversed, this place would be whipped into a froth right now calling for a 10-game suspension for Oshie & you damn well know it.

I understand you're trying to play the good guy or whatever, but I just disagree.

NHL not investigating the hit.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:56 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:C'mon, now. If the two players were reversed, this place would be whipped into a froth right now calling for a 10-game suspension for Oshie & you damn well know it.

I understand you're trying to play the good guy or whatever, but I just disagree.

NHL not investigating the hit.

You can disagree all you'd like, but it doesn't make either of us right or wrong. I'm just being honest & realistic.

I figured it wouldn't be looked at.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I would actually most likely be calling Malkin a moron for skating into Oshie like that. The lumbering oaf doing lumbering oaf things.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Anyone see what was written on TIOPS regarding the trade speculation referenced by Rutherford? It mentions that Rust and Maatta have been dangled in talks and I'd like to know more.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins