Official GDT: Pens @ Caps 11/7/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Caps 11/7/18

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm

Did anyone have any doubt has this was going to end
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanSince1970 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Who didn't see that coming
PensFanSince1970
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 pm

First game of the year the refs cost us points. This has been brutal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 pm

murphydump55 wrote: My god, every respectable writer on Twitter is also saying Malkin is at fault.

Every single one of them.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Letang wasting time getting that puck up ice
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 pm

And Wes McCauley wins another hockey game.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 pm

I can live with that loss. Good effort, overall.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Pens probably earned a better fate than a loss tonight, but it happens.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Great58 wrote:I can live with that loss. Good effort, overall.

Yeah, it's really frustrating because of the bad puck luck and shoddy reffing, but that's still the best the Pens have looked since returning from Canada.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Are we the only fan base that knows Oshie does this every game. Obviously the officials don't know it.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 pm

brwi wrote:Pens probably earned a better fate than a loss tonight, but it happens.

Not when you can't score a breakaway goal on a goalie with an .888 sv% coming in.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 pm

The Penguins haven't gotten a goal from their bottom 6 (Sheahan, Cullen, Brassard, Rust, Grant, Sprong...now add ZAR and Wilson) in 6 games. The last one came in their 9-1 win over Calgary. That won't work. You won't win many games that way.

The defense played strong tonight. Another solid game for Jack Johnson when paired with Kris Letang. Need to see that continue for a few more games, but looking promising right now. One of the big overall wins for the defense tonight was limiting shots. Caps barely passed 20 total shots. Penguins need to keep the shots against lower a lot more often.

DeSmith had a pretty solid game. Wasn't really challenged much. Really bad coverage by Riley Sheahan on the game winning goal. He had pressure on Kuznetsov and Carlson along the board, and then just spun away and left them unpressured. Caps took advantage of that and put it in the net.

Really solid game overall, with some really questionable officiating for, against, and missed for both teams.

Penguins need to get some goals from players other than Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kessel, Guentzel, and the defense. Another few games with no secondary scoring, and Rutherford could bust out the putter and make a trip to PF Changs.

How many grade A chances did Hagelin have tonight? He needs to stop getting a pass for "doing a bunch of other stuff supposedly really well."
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The Penguins haven't gotten a goal from their bottom 6 (Sheahan, Cullen, Brassard, Rust, Grant, Sprong...now add ZAR and Wilson) in 6 games. The last one came in their 9-1 win over Calgary. That won't work. You won't win many games that way.

The defense played strong tonight. Another solid game for Jack Johnson when paired with Kris Letang. Need to see that continue for a few more games, but looking promising right now. One of the big overall wins for the defense tonight was limiting shots. Caps barely passed 20 total shots. Penguins need to keep the shots against lower a lot more often.

DeSmith had a pretty solid game. Wasn't really challenged much. Really bad coverage by Riley Sheahan on the game winning goal. He had pressure on Kuznetsov and Carlson along the board, and then just spun away and left them unpressured. Caps took advantage of that and put it in the net.

Really solid game overall, with some really questionable officiating for, against, and missed for both teams.

Penguins need to get some goals from players other than Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kessel, Guentzel, and the defense. Another few games with no secondary scoring, and Rutherford could bust out the putter and make a trip to PF Changs.

How many grade A chances did Hagelin have tonight? He needs to stop getting a pass for "doing a bunch of other stuff supposedly really well."

And the sad part is Stone-Hands Hagelin is playing for a new contract
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Everything I see on the internet is calling it a "dangerous hit from Malkin." I don't get it. He is gliding straight, he absolutely leans into Oshie. But Oshie instigates nearly all the contact.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanSince1970 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:38 pm

I am just glad the Pens weren't intimidated going into a building with all 1 of those Stanley Cup Champions banners hanging from the rafters
PensFanSince1970
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Everything I see on the internet is calling it a "dangerous hit from Malkin." I don't get it. He is gliding straight, he absolutely leans into Oshie. But Oshie instigates nearly all the contact.

Sounds like something a Caps fan would say about a Wilson hit. We can't pretend to have the high road on that stuff, then turn around and complain about this. Malkin had a Malkin night, and you could see that something like this was coming from him. Looks to me like this team slide is really getting to him.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:Everything I see on the internet is calling it a "dangerous hit from Malkin." I don't get it. He is gliding straight, he absolutely leans into Oshie. But Oshie instigates nearly all the contact.

Sounds like something a Caps fan would say about a Wilson hit. We can't pretend to have the high road on that stuff, then turn around and complain about this. Malkin had a Malkin night, and you could see that something like this was coming from him. Looks to me like this team slide is really getting to him.

I just really dont think I'm being a homer here. Watched it a 100 times. Malkins shoulder definitely comes up, but Wilson is leaning forward and plants his face right into Malkins Shoulder.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

I just really dont think I'm being a homer here. Watched it a 100 times. Malkins shoulder definitely comes up, but Wilson is leaning forward and plants his face right into Malkins Shoulder.

Oshie.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out how much of it is lack of effort/slumping from the players, and how much of it getting older/other teams getting faster/other teams able to counter Sullivan's system with more ease and consistency.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:45 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

You are. Head contact is head contact.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Replace Rust with Sprong and when Brass gets back dump Cullen and you have the makings of a real NHL team
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

1) Malkin didn’t line up this hit.
2) Oshie wasn’t blindsided
3) Malkin got a major and a game misconduct. He did not come back to trip a Washington defender to set up a GWG. Oshie returned to the game.

Time served, move on. The Capital’s response would have been “that’s what happens when a big man hits a smaller man”. Really, the two hits and the two players are incomparable.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out how much of it is lack of effort/slumping from the players, and how much of it getting older/other teams getting faster/other teams able to counter Sullivan's system with more ease and consistency.

I firmly believe that it's lack of changes in the coach's system to compensate for all that other stuff. His player usage alone over the past seasons shows that he's not the bench genius that his success here would indicate. In fact, it's entirely likely that he really is who we thought he is from his time at the helm in Boston, and he walked into a very advantageous situation with the big club, while also having plenty of knowledge of who/what he had to draw from at WBS. Once "HIS" WBS players dried up, well..........
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Great58 wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

1) Malkin didn’t line up this hit.
2) Oshie wasn’t blindsided
3) Malkin got a major and a game misconduct. He did not come back to trip a Washington defender to set up a GWG. Oshie returned to the game.

Time served, move on. The Capital’s response would have been “that’s what happens when a big man hits a smaller man”. Really, the two hits and the two players are incomparable.

Granted, I don't believe he'll be suspended. Let's don't pretend that it was nothing is all I'm saying. Malkin was a frustrated player who had an opportunity for a pound of flesh and he took it. End of story.
Last edited by Hot Dog Vendor on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Really good game, skating with purpose, determination and a lot of extra effort. We deserved the win in the end but well a few posts times Holtby standing on his head multiplied by strange refereeing equals loss. Don't see how last year you can break someones jaw and don't even get a penalty and now you skate in a straight line, get up without malicious intent, someone skates into you and it is a major and game misconduct!? Completely baffled especially when Oshie then comes back and scores the winner. But well the refs had a lot of iffy calls on us so at least they were consistent. In general thus far we have a season with deep lows and surprisingly convincing highs, feels with the right mindset we will be very hard to beat. The Caps lucked out tonight and they knew it.
sirik71

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins