Game 14 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 14 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 am

Pens lose 2-1

- Pens were the better team last night, but sometimes, the hockey gods decide your not going to win. Case in point - Oshie's goal after getting knocked out twice (everyone I watched with KNEW he would score)
- On the topic of Oshie, how does he lead a check with his head? Malkin's hit would not even have been a penalty if Oshie comes at him normal, not like some possessed mindless automaton
- Refs call on Sid, the "hook" on Backstrom.... Garbage call. And it lead to Ovie's PPlay goal. Pens had many other chances, but it boiled down to the two penalties.
- Speaking of PK, has there ever been a stronger PK kill than that Malkin kill? Wow, the Pens had better chances shorthanded than the Caps did on that Pplay.
- A couple of time Ruhwedel had loads of time to crank up a shot. I found myself wishing it was Riikola with his boomer, however, Ruhwedel was the right call for this game.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 14 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Humperdink on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 am

Headline in DC: "After ocular surgery and receiving the anti-concussion drug Oshie-Be-Gone, heroic TJ returns to score the game winner".
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Weegie on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:36 am

Pens showed a lot more jump and at times it looked almost like it was a playoff game, they clearly were the better of the two teams but in the end the score is what counts, very hard to watch them carry it that long only to let at least 1 point slip away with 1:14 left, but they certainly looked "interested" last night, let's hope that carries over for awhile!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 am

Humperdink wrote:Headline in DC: "After ocular surgery and receiving the anti-concussion drug Oshie-Be-Gone, heroic TJ returns to score the game winner".

Oshie goes down quicker than the Sedin twins, and that says a lot, so it's hard for me to feel the least bit sorry for him. It's also not out of his norm to level someone like he was last night. Again I feel no sorrow when he's on the receiving end for a change. That's on me I guess.

The first one with the stick under the visor looked like it was painful but he did return.

Geno didn't target anything. It looked more like he was bracing for the hit as Oshie skated towards him. It also looked more like a shoulder to the chest hit than anything. Geno is taller than Oshie so it's fair, IMHO anyhow, to say Oshie's head is on a line with Geno's upper arm shoulder area.

A bit rough ? Yeah it was.

Did Geno try to avoid Oshie ? No and Oshie returned yet again. I won't say he was diving but he certainly did make it look worse than it was.

Wilson got 3 games for a worse hit on ZAR which Trotz said was a clean shoulder to chest hit. Oshie came back from Geno's hit. ZAR didn't have that option. Give Geno a couple just because and let it go.

LOL " the anti-concussion drug Oshie-Be-Gone" . A true miracle drug if ever there was one.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 am

Everyone saw the same game it seems. Pens were by far the better team and should've won by 3.

Only other comment. ZAR and Wilson and both > Sprong. You would have to be a Sprong family member to see otherwise. Those 2 look like NHL'ers. ZAR should've always remained here. We need him.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am

JR hit the nail on the head- This team can't win right now when their big 4 doesn't score, because no one else is producing goals. To have 5 combined goals from Brassard, Rust, Hagelin, Sheahan and Sprong this deep into the season is shocking. Even the newly wealthy Horqvist has been absent from the score sheet on all but a few nights. Simon has truly been the Pens' most effective forward outside of Malkin/Crosby/Kessel, and that's a scary thought.

JR did not call out Murray by name, but he should have. This goaltending rotation should be no less than an even timeshare right now until Murray shows that he's gotten his game together. His save percentage is 43 points below DeSmith and near the bottom of the league rankings. That number is too big to be a statistical anomaly. And he was not particularly good last year either, outside of a single hot streak in January/February. The assumption of Murray being "the guy" here should be over until he shows something. You can't live off of reputation in this league.

Joel Quenville, who won 3 Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, just got canned the other day, so Sullivan should not be feeling to comfortable at this point. It's fair to wonder if he has reached his expiration date with this team. His bungling of the Sprong situation - miscasting him as a 4th line grinder - smacks of Bylsma-level stubbornness. The Pens right now are not exactly loaded with high scoring wingers that you couldn't bump someone to give Sprong an extended audition on a top line. I mean, how many top 6 minutes has Rust gotten with his 1 goal and minus 4? Sullivan seems to have no answers other than incessant line juggling and barking out the same tired cliches after every lackluster performance- again reminiscent of the twilight of the Bylsma regime.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am

To add on to what Risto said it unfortunately looks like the current make up of this team is not working. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens traded Brassard once back from his injury for a younger more pep in his step center. I also think Sprong is getting shipped out and a D upgrade. Not sure if you trade with one team or make two separate deals.

I would say you could trade Jarry but the way Murray has been that may be a bad idea.

I would expect at least one trade between now and the Yotes game on Saturday.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am

Don't know what Oshie was doing on the Malkin hit, it looks like he was skating in for a kiss. It wasn't to hit Malkin and he sure embellished the contact afterwards. While that halted a Pens' PP and lead to shorthanded for an extended time, it seemed to wake the team up and Pens played noticeably better right after and up until Oshie's winner.

Refs and goalposts weren't exactly the Pens' friends last night, but they did carry the play mostly and were technically sound in their own end and the neutral zone. That's a change. While the game was a better effort, it helped that the Caps looked slow and disinterested for most of the game and were playing like they didn't care.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penguins Knight on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:39 am

The Penguins prolong their winless streak to 0-4-1. Really?

T. J. Oshie is in the same bandwagon as Tom Wilson, Brooks Orpik, and Matt Niskanen as goons. He likes to play dirty and deploy shenanigans. Players have learned to defend themselves against Oshie. Oshie's dirty game caught up with him.

If the Penguins are serious about winning games, they should start today. Everyone available to practice need a lengthy rigorous practice.
Penguins Knight

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:17 am

Penguins Knight wrote:The Penguins prolong their winless streak to 0-4-1. Really?

T. J. Oshie is in the same bandwagon as Tom Wilson, Brooks Orpik, and Matt Niskanen as goons. He likes to play dirty and deploy shenanigans. Players have learned to defend themselves against Oshie. Oshie's dirty game caught up with him.

If the Penguins are serious about winning games, they should start today. Everyone available to practice need a lengthy rigorous practice.

Oshie's dirty game caught up to him? What, with getting the second best player from the other team bounced and then getting the gwg?

Unfortunately, Sullivan cancelled today's practice, so your hope of a lengthy rigorous practice will have to wait until tomorrow.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Risto on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 am

On a positive note, last night's game was certainly the best effort during the losing streak by far and a game you'd expect to win 9 times out of 10 given the lopsided statistical advantage the Pens had. But as nice as it is to say you dominated shot attempts and puck possession, putting the puck in the back of the net still matters and guys on this team aren't doing it.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

GMJR mentioned changes will be made if things don't improve. Last night was a vast improvement, but it is what it is, sometimes your just going to lose a game. Still very early, no need to :scared: :? :scared:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote: Only other comment. ZAR and Wilson and both > Sprong. You would have to be a Sprong family member to see otherwise. Those 2 look like NHL'ers. ZAR should've always remained here. We need him.

Yeah, both of those guys were more noticeable in good ways than Sprong is on a normal night. ZAR got 8:27 in ice time, and Wilson got 6:20, so it's not like they got a ton more minutes than Sprong was getting.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Risto wrote:Joel Quenville, who won 3 Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, just got canned the other day, so Sullivan should not be feeling to comfortable at this point. It's fair to wonder if he has reached his expiration date with this team. His bungling of the Sprong situation - miscasting him as a 4th line grinder - smacks of Bylsma-level stubbornness. The Pens right now are not exactly loaded with high scoring wingers that you couldn't bump someone to give Sprong an extended audition on a top line. I mean, how many top 6 minutes has Rust gotten with his 1 goal and minus 4? Sullivan seems to have no answers other than incessant line juggling and barking out the same tired cliches after every lackluster performance- again reminiscent of the twilight of the Bylsma regime.

I’m not happy with the current state of affairs either but it is too soon to pull the plug on HCMS. He is one season removed from back to back Stanley Cups - something no one else has done in the salary cap era.

Quenville on the other hand completely missed the playoffs last year and was bounced in the first round the two years prior to that including the sweep to the Preds after winning their division.

I do not think we should give any coach the kind of leash Bylsma got but you also can’t go around changing coaches every time you run into trouble. The Pens have had some nasty Fall issues the past few years and have found a way to work things out by the time it all mattered.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:00 pm

largegarlic wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote: Only other comment. ZAR and Wilson and both > Sprong. You would have to be a Sprong family member to see otherwise. Those 2 look like NHL'ers. ZAR should've always remained here. We need him.

Yeah, both of those guys were more noticeable in good ways than Sprong is on a normal night. ZAR got 8:27 in ice time, and Wilson got 6:20, so it's not like they got a ton more minutes than Sprong was getting.

That makes sense because both ZAR & Wilson are more suited for 3rd/4th line deployment than Sprong.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Penguins Knight wrote:

It didn't catch to him enough, in my opinion. I wish Malkin had decapitated him. :twisted: Oshie is a punk, just under the level of a Brad Marchand. :evil:

On the subject of HCMS, before the game started I was concerned they had tuned him out. That wasn't the case - the Pens played a good game but just didn't get the breaks. There were plenty of open nets that they missed. I'll bet they miss having Tocchet as an assistant coach.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

That makes sense because both ZAR & Wilson are more suited for 3rd/4th line deployment than Sprong.

Or that's how Sullivan has deployed 11F and 12F no matter who they are since he became coach.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Penspal wrote:GMJR mentioned changes will be made if things don't improve. Last night was a vast improvement, but it is what it is, sometimes your just going to lose a game. Still very early, no need to :scared: :? :scared:

Just found this on the Trib. Coming away from last night's game more frustrated, as a player or as a fan, you gotta rethink things. The Pens just pwned the SC champs.

From the article below.

"Statistically speaking, Wednesday night’s game was the Penguins’ best performance in a loss in Mike Sullivan’s tenure as head coach."

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins/14266366-85/penguins-have-nothing-to-show-for-massive-statistical-advantage-in-washington

I tip my hat to the Caps (and to the Hockey Gods), they pulled this one out of their keister.

Shake your head, but realize, this is one of the reasons you love hockey, you just never know.

Oh, and put this game in your advanced stats pipe and smoke it. :pop:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Risto on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Stillerz Bar wrote:I do not think we should give any coach the kind of leash Bylsma got but you also can’t go around changing coaches every time you run into trouble. The Pens have had some nasty Fall issues the past few years and have found a way to work things out by the time it all mattered.

In a sense, I agree with you. Generally, I like Sullivan. But I think you also have to start looking at this through a different lense. What is left of the window for this lineup to compete for championships? 2 years? 3? Malkin is 32. Sid 31. Kessel 31. Letang turns 32 in a few months.

Did it feel like this team was close to being able to compete for a Cup last year? This year? Ummmm...

The timeframes are all compressed now. That's why you may have to be a little quicker on the trigger than you would normally like to be.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Risto wrote:
Stillerz Bar wrote:I do not think we should give any coach the kind of leash Bylsma got but you also can’t go around changing coaches every time you run into trouble. The Pens have had some nasty Fall issues the past few years and have found a way to work things out by the time it all mattered.

In a sense, I agree with you. Generally, I like Sullivan. But I think you also have to start looking at this through a different lense. What is left of the window for this lineup to compete for championships? 2 years? 3? Malkin is 32. Sid 31. Kessel 31. Letang turns 32 in a few months.

Did it feel like this team was close to being able to compete for a Cup last year? This year? Ummmm...

The timeframes are all compressed now. That's why you may have to be a little quicker on the trigger than you would normally like to be.

Last year, yes. They were very close to being able to compete for the cup. This year - talk to me when the games are more important - say March or so. The Pens historically have had slow starts.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 pm

No hearing for Geno, as if.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm

A thought about the Caps.

They played like a team with a Stanley Cup hangover, but with enough talent to pull out a win. Pretty much like the 2016-2017 Pens.

They had 6 power plays, including a 4 minute major to play with and they were outshot big time. At one point, they were behind in face off wins, hits, shots, scoring chances, giveaways and takeaways.

Holtby was fighting the puck most of the night. He was lucky enough to be playing a team of non-finishers.

Their all-world sniper hit the back of the net, and the one-eyed concussed winger scored. That was all they needed.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Risto on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:26 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:Last year, yes. They were very close to being able to compete for the cup. This year - talk to me when the games are more important - say March or so. The Pens historically have had slow starts.

I beg to differ. That was a .500 team last year outside of a hot streak after Christmas.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Risto wrote:On a positive note, last night's game was certainly the best effort during the losing streak by far and a game you'd expect to win 9 times out of 10 given the lopsided statistical advantage the Pens had. But as nice as it is to say you dominated shot attempts and puck possession, putting the puck in the back of the net still matters and guys on this team aren't doing it.

Best effort, yes. But still the same dumb mistakes. Seconds before Ovechkin's goal Letang has an easy opportunity to clear the zone but instead makes the lazy play and just wraps it around the boards.

The effort was better but until the Pens play smarter effort alone isn't going to do it.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins