Game 15 vs Yotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 15 vs Yotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:11 am

Pens win 4-0

- Crosby & DeSmith were on their games and that was enough to polish off the Coyotes. Dominant performances by both were the difference makers in this game
- HCMS had just about every line combo you could dream up, EXCEPT for the two headed monster. Saw Kessel with Sid a few times in the o-zone.... #blendercoaching
- Oleksiak did not deserver to sit today, most LGP'ers would agree, perhaps it was a "maintenance sit" as we are carrying 7 NHL ready dmen?
- Simon has some detractors, and I get it, but he seems to be fitting in more each game. Dom is also under strict HCMS scrutiny, yet managing to get ice time. Sid's is supporting Dom, who's supporting Sprong?
- Pens PPlay was a hot mess, but I do like the idea of change, see what happens. Breaking up the group that set the club record last year.... ballsy, but you gotta try things out... chemistry requires experimentation
- Quite a few Pens had what I would call a quiet game, but sometimes you just need to play your position and play mistake free, and those quiet minutes are the building blocks to victory
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 15 vs Yotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Realist on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:26 am

Mmmmm. AZ stinks. I still see wayyyyy too much sloppiness. They get a win like this over Caps, Bolts, etc with less defensive breakdowns I'll be impressed.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:15 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-0

- Crosby & DeSmith were on their games and that was enough to polish off the Coyotes. Dominant performances by both were the difference makers in this game
- HCMS had just about every line combo you could dream up, EXCEPT for the two headed monster. Saw Kessel with Sid a few times in the o-zone.... #blendercoaching
- Oleksiak did not deserver to sit today, most LGP'ers would agree, perhaps it was a "maintenance sit" as we are carrying 7 NHL ready dmen?
- Simon has some detractors, and I get it, but he seems to be fitting in more each game. Dom is also under strict HCMS scrutiny, yet managing to get ice time. Sid's is supporting Dom, who's supporting Sprong?
- Pens PPlay was a hot mess, but I do like the idea of change, see what happens. Breaking up the group that set the club record last year.... ballsy, but you gotta try things out... chemistry requires experimentation
- Quite a few Pens had what I would call a quiet game, but sometimes you just need to play your position and play mistake free, and those quiet minutes are the building blocks to victory

- 4 Pens ahead of the puck seems to be the standard operating procedure these days. Won't win a lot of hockey with that, Sully keeps telling us that each game. Yet every game, that's what happens?
- Simon has earned some detractors, but he's an improvement over Sheary. I like him playing 1LW as he's one of the few players that can play LW to some effect. That said, he is Sheary 2.0 and will now get dressed until the sun goes out.
- Oleksiak sat, maybe didn't deserve it. But are we so much worse for playing Ruhwedel and Riikola? I think you can easily play your #7 and #8D against Arizona, if that's what they are.

Sprong? I'm not going to say he did much of anything of any note on the fourth line. Put ZAR in his spot on the fourth line and the fourth line is improved. Yep. Can't use a knife and expect it to be an effective spoon. Sounds GMJR wanted HCMS to play the guy, so that's what he did, in theory anyway. In case of (more) injuries, we'll find Sprong still scratched. No point playing him if he's going to get 5-7 minutes of whatever incarnation of Plotnikov-Cullen we're rolling, better to scratch. Sullivan doesn't trust him to do anything and is better off eating nachos. I've made my peace with that, so should all fans, he's the next Pouliot
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:35 am

A much needed win against a cream puff opponent, but it's 2 points. Use the momentum and start winning games against tougher opponents. DeSmith really did look good, really not sure what to think about the current goalie situation.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:29 pm

If they had lost at home to AZ, then Rutherford should have fired Sullivan and hired Quenneville.

But that didn't happen.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Arizona beat the caps 4-1, so there’s that.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:53 am

Southern Fan wrote:Arizona beat the caps 4-1, so there’s that.

Yotes are not that bad, and the Pens put doubt in the Caps heads, that's what can happen when you win and know you didn't deserve it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Penspal wrote:

Yotes are not that bad, and the Pens put doubt in the Caps heads, that's what can happen when you win and know you didn't deserve it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caps have finally discovered that the regular season is for chumps.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Great58 wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Perhaps some on this board will join them in that discovery. :lol: (not directed at you)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Steve wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Perhaps some on this board will join them in that discovery. :lol: (not directed at you)

I, for one, am planning to decrease my STH status to half next year. Too many slow starts to warrant my shelling out the $ anymore. I go to 30+ regular season games each year, I think I will be happier dropping that to 20, without the hassle of having to work at selling games. Losing uninspired hockey games hurts less when your not invested $165 plus travel time, parking, and food. Any additional game that I'd want to go to, including first two rounds of the playoffs, can be had with minimal additional cost.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:52 pm

When this team keeps it simple, they win.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 pm

I don’t know how anyone can say that Simon is an improvement over Sherry. And I like Simon a lot.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Great58 wrote:
Steve wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Penspal wrote:

I, for one, am planning to decrease my STH status to half next year. Too many slow starts to warrant my shelling out the $ anymore. I go to 30+ regular season games each year, I think I will be happier dropping that to 20, without the hassle of having to work at selling games. Losing uninspired hockey games hurts less when your not invested $165 plus travel time, parking, and food. Any additional game that I'd want to go to, including first two rounds of the playoffs, can be had with minimal additional cost.

With professional sports I have begun a new strategy. I show up down near the stadium before game time. And I head to a bar and get a drink and something to eat and nope up stubhub app. As game time gets closer ticket prices drop. Then I grab a ticket and head to the game. You would not believe how much the cost drops. Next time you are at a game sitting in your seat and the game has not started open up the stubhub app and check it out. You might start doing it too. One time it didn’t work and I just stayed at the bar.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins