Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:01 am

Pens lose 4-2

- A crappy start, a couple of mistakes, bad penalty, and lose. Stick it in a blender.... and repeat. Page 4 from the "How to beat the Pens" manual
- Geno defended Kessel in the postgame, perhaps cause he knows that Phil's part of the issue AND might be the guy GMJR trades away :pop:
- Sure, Phil was fired up, but he left his brain in the penalty box on NJ's 3rd goal, the gwg. IMHO, Dumo got exposed because Kessel didn't have his guy
- I don't get the JJ love. JJ seems slower than Maatta, & misread the Letang end boards reverse for NJ goal. He had 3-4 slapshots blocked (BUT, I'll not judge till 20 gms)
- DeSmith played well enough. I'm starting to notice he's not great at covering the puck with trapper, a few goals now have been because he's not quite covered it
- Jake's goal will hopefully get him going, he's pretty much become a zip down the wing w/puck, stop quick and pass kind of guy. C'mon Jake, recover some playoff mojo
- Been cheering hard for Wilson to get his point, would love to see it. Like his grit, etc, but I have to admit, Sprong, even the slumping Sprong, was more dangerous
- I think Trader Jim will be making calls today, he's worked out a deal or two in principle over the weekend, I suspect we'll see it soon.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby largegarlic on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 am

On the plus side, it was better than the last game against the Devils. And I thought Crosby looked good, and Malkin worked hard. Everyone else...blah at best.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby BurghThing on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 am

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-2

- A crappy start, a couple of mistakes, bad penalty, and lose. Stick it in a blender.... and repeat. Page 4 from the "How to beat the Pens" manual
- Geno defended Kessel in the postgame, perhaps cause he knows that Phil's part of the issue AND might be the guy GMJR trades away :pop:
- Sure, Phil was fired up, but he left his brain in the penalty box on NJ's 3rd goal, the gwg. IMHO, Dumo got exposed because Kessel didn't have his guy
- I don't get the JJ love. JJ seems slower than Maatta, & misread the Letang end boards reverse for NJ goal. He had 3-4 slapshots blocked (BUT, I'll not judge till 20 gms)
- DeSmith played well enough. I'm starting to notice he's not great at covering the puck with trapper, a few goals now have been because he's not quite covered it
- Jake's goal will hopefully get him going, he's pretty much become a zip down the wing w/puck, stop quick and pass kind of guy. C'mon Jake, recover some playoff mojo
- Been cheering hard for Wilson to get his point, would love to see it. Like his grit, etc, but I have to admit, Sprong, even the slumping Sprong, was more dangerous
- I think Trader Jim will be making calls today, he's worked out a deal or two in principle over the weekend, I suspect we'll see it soon.


Isn't that what all of our forwards do?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,803
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 am

Hagelin, Rust, Hornqvist, Jake, and Phil- not the offensive production expected. It's not all goaltending and defense.
I guess Murray will be in the net on Thursday.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,173
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: With Sid and Evgeni there is always hope!

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby relantel on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:37 am

Wrong side of the ledger, but way different than the TOR & NJ losses last week.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,818
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 am

BurghThing wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-2

- A crappy start, a couple of mistakes, bad penalty, and lose. Stick it in a blender.... and repeat. Page 4 from the "How to beat the Pens" manual
- Geno defended Kessel in the postgame, perhaps cause he knows that Phil's part of the issue AND might be the guy GMJR trades away :pop:
- Sure, Phil was fired up, but he left his brain in the penalty box on NJ's 3rd goal, the gwg. IMHO, Dumo got exposed because Kessel didn't have his guy
- I don't get the JJ love. JJ seems slower than Maatta, & misread the Letang end boards reverse for NJ goal. He had 3-4 slapshots blocked (BUT, I'll not judge till 20 gms)
- DeSmith played well enough. I'm starting to notice he's not great at covering the puck with trapper, a few goals now have been because he's not quite covered it
- Jake's goal will hopefully get him going, he's pretty much become a zip down the wing w/puck, stop quick and pass kind of guy. C'mon Jake, recover some playoff mojo
- Been cheering hard for Wilson to get his point, would love to see it. Like his grit, etc, but I have to admit, Sprong, even the slumping Sprong, was more dangerous
- I think Trader Jim will be making calls today, he's worked out a deal or two in principle over the weekend, I suspect we'll see it soon.


Isn't that what all of our forwards do?


There more more guys doing this than not, your right. A few carried/pushed it deeper behind the net... but its come down to being very .... "pedestrian".
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 am

relantel wrote:Wrong side of the ledger, but way different than the TOR & NJ losses last week.


Agreed, the previous 2 games were strong, this one had shades of other losses, but definitely not the Tor or NJ losses.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 am

largegarlic wrote:On the plus side, it was better than the last game against the Devils. And I thought Crosby looked good, and Malkin worked hard. Everyone else...blah at best.

Crosby looked good? How? His line got chewed up and spit out by Zajac and Hall. I haven't seen official numbers, but it looked like they had a significant possession advantage. Crosby almost never wins key faceoffs. He lost two out of three when it really counted at the end.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am

Well GMJR may feel the need to flex muscles- just signed for the 2021 and 2022 season. :D 8-) :o
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,173
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: With Sid and Evgeni there is always hope!

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
largegarlic wrote:On the plus side, it was better than the last game against the Devils. And I thought Crosby looked good, and Malkin worked hard. Everyone else...blah at best.

Crosby looked good? How? His line got chewed up and spit out by Zajac and Hall. I haven't seen official numbers, but it looked like they had a significant possession advantage. Crosby almost never wins key faceoffs. He lost two out of three when it really counted at the end.

So, trade Crosby?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,812
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:18 am

penny lane wrote:Well GMJR may feel the need to flex muscles- just signed for the 2021 and 2022 season. :D 8-) :o


I think your on to something Penny, not so much a "flex muscles" as, he needed the security if he's to pull off "The Big One".

Image
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:19 am

I was in attendance last night. I saw enough of the line juggling. Simon is not a first line player . Jake should always play alongside of Sid as well as Phil with Geno. The 3rd and 4th line are just offensively challenged. They have been that way all year.
I ask everyone to check out FL pens fan blog. He spells out the issue with much detail. The problem on the bottom 6 is Sheahan and Cullen. They are dragging the wingers down with them. Besides the two centers Rust, and Olli have not been good. I would consider getting rid of Olli since age and contract may net the best return. He has a great stick but is weak on the boards and forget the "speed" issues.
Plus I think Sully is killing Sprong, if you are having trouble scoring why sit him - he's offensively better them most of the bottom six if given a chance. Give him a chance already and if it doesn't work then trade him. You are going to get the same today that you will get in the future if he fails - not much. I feel that he will eventually ruin Jarry next.

Sorry for the tirade but it was frustrating to watch last night.
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 am

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-2

.
.
.
- Sure, Phil was fired up, but he left his brain in the penalty box on NJ's 3rd goal, the gwg. IMHO, Dumo got exposed because Kessel didn't have his guy


That's exactly right, IMO. Phil's defensive work, even by the low standard for him, was horrible.

Penspal wrote:- I don't get the JJ love. JJ seems slower than Maatta, & misread the Letang end boards reverse for NJ goal. He had 3-4 slapshots blocked (BUT, I'll not judge till 20 gms)

I thought the Letang end boards reverse was just all on him - just an engagement of Letang's hamster brain. I didn't think JJ was a liability. Maatta? IDK.

Penspal wrote:- DeSmith played well enough. I'm starting to notice he's not great at covering the puck with trapper, a few goals now have been because he's not quite covered it


DeSmith is definitely playing better than Murray. But unless Murray snaps out of it, we might see Jarry earn a start at some point soon.

This team is definitely in some sort of free fall at the moment. :scared: :scared: :scared:

The good news is that it's happening now, not in February or March.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,427
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 am
Location: Cranberry Township, PA

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby largegarlic on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:18 am

LimerickPensFan wrote: Crosby looked good? How?


He created tap-ins for wingers on both goals when apparently no one else on the team can do anything offensively?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 am

Penspal wrote:
BurghThing wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-2

- A crappy start, a couple of mistakes, bad penalty, and lose. Stick it in a blender.... and repeat. Page 4 from the "How to beat the Pens" manual
- Geno defended Kessel in the postgame, perhaps cause he knows that Phil's part of the issue AND might be the guy GMJR trades away :pop:
- Sure, Phil was fired up, but he left his brain in the penalty box on NJ's 3rd goal, the gwg. IMHO, Dumo got exposed because Kessel didn't have his guy
- I don't get the JJ love. JJ seems slower than Maatta, & misread the Letang end boards reverse for NJ goal. He had 3-4 slapshots blocked (BUT, I'll not judge till 20 gms)
- DeSmith played well enough. I'm starting to notice he's not great at covering the puck with trapper, a few goals now have been because he's not quite covered it
- Jake's goal will hopefully get him going, he's pretty much become a zip down the wing w/puck, stop quick and pass kind of guy. C'mon Jake, recover some playoff mojo
- Been cheering hard for Wilson to get his point, would love to see it. Like his grit, etc, but I have to admit, Sprong, even the slumping Sprong, was more dangerous
- I think Trader Jim will be making calls today, he's worked out a deal or two in principle over the weekend, I suspect we'll see it soon.


Isn't that what all of our forwards do?


There more more guys doing this than not, your right. A few carried/pushed it deeper behind the net... but its come down to being very .... "pedestrian".


HCMS post game quotes seem to align with our perspective “We had opportunities to get pucks to the net, and we’re looking for lateral plays.” And he said, “We’ve got to put more pucks on the net. And we’ve got to get some blue paint goals. And we haven’t had a lot of blue paint goals…The only way that can happen is if we put more pucks on the net. That will force us to go to the net and then we can bank some in there.”
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Weegie on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Didn't see the games but saw the highlights or lowlights and the first thing I noticed was still way too many breakaways allowed!!!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-2

- I think Trader Jim will be making calls today, he's worked out a deal or two in principle over the weekend, I suspect we'll see it soon.


Well, he made one (Pearson for Hagelin) This has the effect of pissing off some guys (Horny especially), maybe that's what they needed? Haggy was a defensive specialist with such great speed.

Good Luck in LA Hagelin!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:36 pm

largegarlic wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote: Crosby looked good? How?


He created tap-ins for wingers on both goals when apparently no one else on the team can do anything offensively?

And yet he was -2 for the game.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Penspal wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-2

- I think Trader Jim will be making calls today, he's worked out a deal or two in principle over the weekend, I suspect we'll see it soon.


Well, he made one (Pearson for Hagelin) This has the effect of pissing off some guys (Horny especially), maybe that's what they needed? Haggy was a defensive specialist with such great speed.

Good Luck in LA Hagelin!

The guys knew this type of thing was coming if they didn't turn things around. A single-game turnaround wasn't enough.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Game 16 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby midd on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Overall I thought the team played well. My daughter and I were at the game. Letang's turnovers didn't help especially the one where he threw it behind his own net and resulted in the Devils scoring in the 2nd period. Desmith has to stop that first goal and the third goal. He's been rock steady but those two were the difference.

Malkin was a beast. Sid was on his game too. That one he tried to force between Kinkaid's pad and the post was right in front of me. So close. It was a great play on his part.

Oleksiak had a strong game too.

Call me crazy but Jack Johnson is winning me over. He's settling into his role. He's not always perfect but he's getting the job done.

ZAR had a decent game. I though Simon was invisible until the third period. I really thought he was a scratch until he did some noticable things late in the game.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: First and First, the Nexus of the Universe


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ericf, Faubert5, FLPensFan and 17 guests


e-mail