Hagelin traded to LA

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby BONVIE on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Below is one of the posts from the LA Kings message board. After reading 20 pages of posts I can tell they are pretty upset about this trade and think we got a good deal here in the "Burg"

Originally Posted by Kubrick
There’s a substantial chance that Pittsburgh hits a HR with this deal. It’s definitely a gamble but Blake is obviously desperate and TP will almost certainly benefit from getting away from this dumpster fire. Pearson is most certainly a 15-20 goal per season winger anywhere other than LA.
If he gets time with either Crosby or Malkin every chance he becomes a 50 point guy very quickly. Blake sold low. For no real reason.
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 pm

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby ville5 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 am

FLPensFan wrote:From Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts:

Do not discount the possibility of Rutherford and Anaheim’s Bob Murray trying a lateral “change-of-scenery” trade. Those don’t happen much anymore, but they’ve done it before (Hagelin-David Perron in 2016). Both are looking for change, and the rumoured names were not involved in this trade (Pearson trade).

I honestly don't see much on the Anaheim roster that would fit the narrative, unless it is something like Bryan Rust for Cogliano or Silverberg, or a Maatta for Montour type swap. I'm not sure player skill/age/contract term makes any of those moves really laterally.

Friedman also mentioned that teams were showing some strong interest in Calen Addison when Rutherford was calling around.

Anaheim is 2nd to last in the league in goals scored. I could see interest in Sprong. Maybe a Sprong + for Ritchie?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,931
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Steve on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am

Image

I do like the trade, but I'll miss seeing Hagelin in the lineup.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,796
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Risto on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 am

brwi wrote:Add in to that the thinking that a ZAR was going to be another Hornqvist when little suggests that and it's getting crowded with carrying too many non-producing players
or guys playing way out of place like Rust on the first line or Sprong not even seeing the ice much.


Actually, I thought ZAR looked quite promising when he filled in on the top line last year before getting hurt the first time in February. Didn't he have a run of goals in 3 or 4 straight games playing with Sid right before that injury? Then of course he came back and got buried on a checking line, never to be heard from again.

Everything seems upside down on this team. Guys with pedigree like Sprong and ZAR are buried in the lineup or not playing at all, while "energy guys" - Rust, Simon - who seem like prototypical 3rd and 4th liners, are skating with Sid. I always wonder about coaches like Bylsma and Sullivan, who were simple muckers and grinders as players, if they don't have a preference for those types of players and a weird underlying jealousy of players with pedigree (except for the few that are simply undeniable, like a Sid or Geno).
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:33 am

Risto wrote:
brwi wrote:Add in to that the thinking that a ZAR was going to be another Hornqvist when little suggests that and it's getting crowded with carrying too many non-producing players
or guys playing way out of place like Rust on the first line or Sprong not even seeing the ice much.


Actually, I thought ZAR looked quite promising when he filled in on the top line last year before getting hurt the first time in February. Didn't he have a run of goals in 3 or 4 straight games playing with Sid right before that injury? Then of course he came back and got buried on a checking line, never to be heard from again.

Everything seems upside down on this team. Guys with pedigree like Sprong and ZAR are buried in the lineup or not playing at all, while "energy guys" - Rust, Simon - who seem like prototypical 3rd and 4th liners, are skating with Sid. I always wonder about coaches like Bylsma and Sullivan, who were simple muckers and grinders as players, if they don't have a preference for those types of players and a weird underlying jealousy of players with pedigree (except for the few that are simply undeniable, like a Sid or Geno).


Uh, any resemblance between Bylsma and Sullivan is purely, and I mean PURELY coincidental. Let's review.
Bylsma:
  • Won a Stanley Cup with essentially Therien's team and system; I think he changed the PK a bit.
  • Proved that he was totally inflexible; beaten repeatedly by teams who solved his system.
  • Proved himself unable to manage the star power on the team.
  • Had almost zero focus on defense.
  • With all the massive talent (and rentals) on the team, proved that he could not create good team chemistry or win any Cups. Should have had at least 2 more.

Sullivan:
  • Won 2 Cups - back to back.
  • Adjusts the team in-game; shows opposing coaches new looks / problems to deal with
  • Immediately brought a calming and ordered mentality to the team; seized control of situations rather than letting them happen to him.
  • Understands that defense wins championships.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,424
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 am
Location: Cranberry Township, PA

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Risto wrote:
brwi wrote:Add in to that the thinking that a ZAR was going to be another Hornqvist when little suggests that and it's getting crowded with carrying too many non-producing players
or guys playing way out of place like Rust on the first line or Sprong not even seeing the ice much.


Actually, I thought ZAR looked quite promising when he filled in on the top line last year before getting hurt the first time in February. Didn't he have a run of goals in 3 or 4 straight games playing with Sid right before that injury? Then of course he came back and got buried on a checking line, never to be heard from again.

Everything seems upside down on this team. Guys with pedigree like Sprong and ZAR are buried in the lineup or not playing at all, while "energy guys" - Rust, Simon - who seem like prototypical 3rd and 4th liners, are skating with Sid. I always wonder about coaches like Bylsma and Sullivan, who were simple muckers and grinders as players, if they don't have a preference for those types of players and a weird underlying jealousy of players with pedigree (except for the few that are simply undeniable, like a Sid or Geno).


Uh, any resemblance between Bylsma and Sullivan is purely, and I mean PURELY coincidental. Let's review.
Bylsma:
  • Won a Stanley Cup with essentially Therien's team and system; I think he changed the PK a bit.
  • Proved that he was totally inflexible; beaten repeatedly by teams who solved his system.
  • Proved himself unable to manage the star power on the team.
  • Had almost zero focus on defense.
  • With all the massive talent (and rentals) on the team, proved that he could not create good team chemistry or win any Cups. Should have had at least 2 more.

Sullivan:
  • Won 2 Cups - back to back.
  • Adjusts the team in-game; shows opposing coaches new looks / problems to deal with
  • Immediately brought a calming and ordered mentality to the team; seized control of situations rather than letting them happen to him.
  • Understands that defense wins championships.


This just looks like a comparison by someone that didn't like Bylsma and does like Sullivan. All negatives on one, all questionable positives for the other.

That is comparable to be doing a list for Hornqvist and Orpik.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,593
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

I just watched a highlight reel of Pearson goals. TP (let's hope that nickname does not stick) is a wrist/snap shot guy, scores mostly from the hash marks in. Not a dipsy doodle guy, didn't see much speed wise (in fact, some believe his broken leg slowed him down). But, there is no doubt he's a better pure goal scorer than Hags.

TP has been in a couple fights, lost both.

This puts much more pressure on PK forwards...Rust, Cullen, ZAR and ??? Assume that its going to be Sheahan?

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,538
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby ville5 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Pearson had 5 more goals than Hags in 1 more game played last year. And has a slight advantage career-wise- .21-.18 goals per game. Hopefully, Pearson can get back closer to his career high of 24 goals in a season playing with Malkin.
The good thing is 59 of his 69 career goals are even strength.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,931
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Jim wrote:
This just looks like a comparison by someone that didn't like Bylsma and does like Sullivan. All negatives on one, all questionable positives for the other.

That is comparable to be doing a list for Hornqvist and Orpik.


Winning back-to-back cups is "questionable"? Really? :roll:

You're entitled to your own opinion, however wrong it is.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,424
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 am
Location: Cranberry Township, PA

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 pm

When you do a 1-for-1 trade you tend to expect rather even value guys. Do people think that Rutherford traded Hagelin for a "Trocheck" 1-for-1 and are surprised that that is not the case?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,593
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Jim wrote:When you do a 1-for-1 trade you tend to expect rather even value guys. Do people think that Rutherford traded Hagelin for a "Trocheck" 1-for-1 and are surprised that that is not the case?


Here take our struggling player and give us one of your good players.

That’s how it goes no?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,864
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Welcome Pearson -- good luck with Pens :thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,129
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Pitts on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Penspal wrote:I just watched a highlight reel of Pearson goals. TP (let's hope that nickname does not stick) is a wrist/snap shot guy, scores mostly from the hash marks in. Not a dipsy doodle guy, didn't see much speed wise (in fact, some believe his broken leg slowed him down). But, there is no doubt he's a better pure goal scorer than Hags.

TP has been in a couple fights, lost both.

This puts much more pressure on PK forwards...Rust, Cullen, ZAR and ??? Assume that its going to be Sheahan?

Let's Go Pens!

Jesse Marshall did a great breakdown on Pearson on the Athletic. Pearson's speed was pretty evident on the PK. Everyone needs to give this guy a chance.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,812
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Pitts on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Here's more from Jesse:


Jesse Marshall
‏Verified account @jmarshfof

It's fun when two players are essentially the inverse of each other.

Over a three year span, Carl Hagelin is in the 26th percentile of even-strength goals per 60. Tanner Pearson is in the 74th.



Jesse Marshall
‏Verified account @jmarshfof
3m3 minutes ago

Think of it this way. In that 3 year time frame, Pearson scored more 5v5 goals than 74% of the rest of the league. In Hagelin's case, 74% of the league scored more 5v5 goals than he did during that same 3 year span.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,812
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Hoping this trade also gets Brassard going (assuming TP will be next to him).
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:41 am

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby State College Penguin on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:40 pm

MayorofD6 wrote:TSN reporting Carl Hagelin traded to LA for Tanner Pearson. What do we know about Pearson?


He is off to a crap start ... he is 4 years younger than Hags ... he has two more years of term remaining at 3.75 mill ... he can score...

I'm not opposed to this move at all. As someone said it was inevitable. This team is playing crap hockey and a move needed to be made. Trade a pending UFA that you aren't resigning for something. Trading someone like Sprong doesn't move the needle and bring in anything that happens, absent a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Pearson is a top six guy ... has played with some talented dudes ... can post 15 goals and 40 points per season. Seems like a win to me.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Malkintent on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Where is the money to resign Guentzel coming from now?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,603
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Penguins Knight on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Good riddance, Hagelin. If you have the speed to get to the net quickly, score goals.
Penguins Knight
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 am

Penguins Knight wrote:Good riddance, Hagelin. If you have the speed to get to the net quickly, score goals.

I guess we learned this evening how important a person that is just a penalty-killer is, didn't we?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Penguins Knight on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 am

Special teams, not just penalty killing, has doomed the Penguins for at least one season.
Penguins Knight
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am

Chalk up the loss last night to Rutherford. Had Hagelin still be with the Pens no way TB scores on all of those shorthanded opportunities they had.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,375
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:19 am

I said early in this thread that I could never remember saying this season that any loss was on Hags. Last night, I can actually say that. Irony.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,239
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 am

You are all crazy if you think Hagelin magically makes a difference on the PK last night. Hagelin was an effective penalty killer here, but he's not the PK whisperer. You do know that on a 5-3 PK Hagelin likely wouldn't have been on the ice, correct? It would mainly be Cullen and Sheahan rotating with two defenseman. Hags could get out there on the fly, but 5 on 3 you are putting a center out to take the draws.

Let's also not overlook that Tampa might have one of the most stacked PP units in the NHL. Stamos, Kucherov, Johnson, one of Point/Gourde/Killorn plus Hedman rivals Penguins PP.

Be better than this.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,944
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:51 am

Agreed FL - Hagelin does not change last night's outcome at all. In fact Hagelin never changed much of any outcome lately.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,812
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Hagelin traded to LA

Postby ville5 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am

Jim wrote:When you do a 1-for-1 trade you tend to expect rather even value guys. Do people think that Rutherford traded Hagelin for a "Trocheck" 1-for-1 and are surprised that that is not the case?

I dont think anyone is really saying anything of the sort. Though I haven't thoroughly read every post about the trade.
Though Hags might get overvalued on here for contributing to 2 Cups.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,931
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


e-mail