DK ON PENS PLIGHT: NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

DK ON PENS PLIGHT: NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Postby Realist on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:39 am

The famous DK at DKPGH Sports (yes, the same guy who has all the bad blood/black clouds around him) came out with an article today stating that the Pens are fine and we shouldn't overreact to their bad start.

Obviously, I disagree. Not that you trade Crosby/Malkin/Hornquist, etc. But, you can't latch on to stuff that happened 2 or 3 years ago. The Pens are slower and less skilled now. You either have to 1) adjust the system and roll the dice with what you have or 2) get faster/younger/hungrier by trades.

I agree that #2 is the way to go to compliment the stars. Otherwise, this will be the 1994 to 1998 Pens all over again. #don'tkeepguystoolong
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: DK ON PENS PLIGHT: NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am

I read that article a little differently. In fact, after reading your post, I re-read it.

What I understood he was saying is that the GM and Coach threats were issued and initial action have been taken (temp demotion of Murray, trade of Haggy), now its time to let the Pens and their leadership group work through the issues without additional threats and the "projection" of a panicked team/management. DK acknowledges that they are in fact "not fine" in that they are losing and inconsistent, but he's stating that they have to be given a chance to react, and not to get caught up in all the hysteria that fans and media alike seem to thrive on. Now how much time.... not sure, but I think he's touching on something important, problems are recognized and actions are being taken, but the approach and language used are a little "over the top".
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:23 pm

LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Realist on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Penspal wrote:I read that article a little differently. In fact, after reading your post, I re-read it.

What I understood he was saying is that the GM and Coach threats were issued and initial action have been taken (temp demotion of Murray, trade of Haggy), now its time to let the Pens and their leadership group work through the issues without additional threats and the "projection" of a panicked team/management. DK acknowledges that they are in fact "not fine" in that they are losing and inconsistent, but he's stating that they have to be given a chance to react, and not to get caught up in all the hysteria that fans and media alike seem to thrive on. Now how much time.... not sure, but I think he's touching on something important, problems are recognized and actions are being taken, but the approach and language used are a little "over the top".

A chance to react? The season is 1/4 the way over practically? It ain't a losing streak. The energy and work ethic isnt there. That is either they are older and/or not hungry or both. They don't have time to sit around and become the Chicago Blackhawks.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Here's my take:

1. I think 80% of the team needs to show more hustle and effort. The willingness to battle for a loose puck and beat a man to a puck along the boards in November.
2. I truly believe much of their issues are the same as the start of last season. Extremely poor play from their centers beyond Crosby and Malkin. Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen, and Grant do nothing to generate offense. The Penguins need Brassard back ASAP, and they need to evaluate in about 10-12 games whether he is their answer at 3C. If he can't get going and/or can't get his linemates generate offense, the Penguins will need to explore better 3C options ASAP. I'm OK with Sheahan or Cullen as a 4C if you aren't expecting much offense from that line. But I wouldn't be opposed to bringing up Blueger either, and seeing if he can maybe bring something more. Sheahan is playing like Detroit Sheahan, and Cullen is playing like a guy who hung onto the game a year or two too long. The coaches and management need to drop the sentimental stuff, and play the best players. Right now, I feel like Cullen should not be an every night player, and Sheahan isn't that far behind.
3. The defense isn't as bad as it seems. I think there are two problem defenders right now, Johnson and Maatta. Johnson seems to have found a home with Letang. His numbers have improved there, but, Letang gets injured. That isn't going to be an option every game, and Johnson really hasn't looked or played well paired with anybody else. Johnson's play will be an issue again at some point this season. Maatta is much the same way. I haven't Maatta play well with anybody he is paired with. I don't get the Oleksiak benching, when eye test and numbers seem to show that Oleksiak and Maatta isn't a good pairing. They generate a good bit of offense, but, they also give up a ton of chances. Oleksiak's numbers defensively improve away from Maatta, but the offensive production dies a bit too.
4. They need Murray to rebound. I think part of it is the play in front of him, and part of it is just a struggling goalie. But they will need him to be solid in the 2nd half of the season. I'm ok with him struggling now, if he can work stuff out by January.

I expect the team to possibly struggle the next few games, until one of Crosby or Brassard return, because I don't believe Sheahan and Cullen are good enough right now. So, I'm willing to give the team a few more games to really right the ship.

But the clock is ticking on the bottom 6 centers. I do believe that is the biggest issue right now.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Realist on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Maatta stinks. He's terrible in all facets.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Murray is a mediocre goalie and always has been. Playing more than 20 games has allowed the league to get a book on him and guess what? He's not good. Average at best with very big flaws (glove, 5 hole). Full stop.

Maatta has been needing to just get X or Y going, or recover from X, or adjust to whatever for 3+ **** years. Guess what again? He's pretty average and his negatives are exposed badly in our system with our current crop of substandard defenders.

Johnson is terrible too but guess what yet again...everyone in the world knew it except the Pens apparently before they killed themselves extending and taking on that horrific contract.

Oh yeah...and guess what? A 42 year old guy can't play effectively anymore. Shocking, I know.

Lastly, the coach won't play certain guys together for more than 3 minutes before switching the lines constantly and then we wonder why X player can't get going or get synced with another player. How about we stop playing Bylsmagic **** with players because we don't like them or we love Craig Adams type players and give players a real shot in places they belong or should thrive in, and give others a real amount of time to gel. I find it hard to believe that Brassard went from being one of the best 3C, nee 2C, in the league and a 50-60 point guy to being absolute trash here. I got news for you...that kind of change isn't the player. No way.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Murray sucks. Trade him.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:23 am

Maestro wrote:Murray sucks. Trade him.

I've watched Murray since he was in the O. I'm not saying he isn't a capable goalie, but he's never been a work horse really ever. He came on the scene as a pro and did exceedingly well. And i think the key word being exceedingly. No one saw it all coming and the bar got set so high for expectations. His play is probably never consistently going to equal what we've seen in the past. The book is out on him so he needs to put in work to fix his flaws and confidence to at least get back into being a legit starting goalie. As a spectator if you're cringing a lot when shots are coming at the goalie, that says something.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 am

I want to see less of Rust in the top 6.
I want to see Maatta moved soon.
I want to see energy from the 4th line, Bleuger should be the 4C with Cullen sitting
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:

I've watched Murray since he was in the O. I'm not saying he isn't a capable goalie, but he's never been a work horse really ever. He came on the scene as a pro and did exceedingly well. And i think the key word being exceedingly. No one saw it all coming and the bar got set so high for expectations. His play is probably never consistently going to equal what we've seen in the past. The book is out on him so he needs to put in work to fix his flaws and confidence to at least get back into being a legit starting goalie. As a spectator if you're cringing a lot when shots are coming at the goalie, that says something.

Murray seems like the perfect goalie to be a split start kind of guy. Maybe 60-40 split between Murray and Jarry next year.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

Murray seems like the perfect goalie to be a split start kind of guy. Maybe 60-40 split between Murray and Jarry next year.

Jarry has to show he is ready for the NHL
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Jarry has twice as many goals as Murray.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins