Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Official GDT: Pens vs Bolts 11/15/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Bolts 11/15/18

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:41 pm

KG wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Jack Johnson is currently a team worst 26% possession. He was middle of the road this game while paired with Letang. Since being removed he’s dropped to dead last. Letang propping him up as per usual.

Yeah it’s like when LA re-acquired Scuderi and paired him with Doughty. All that did was mask the weakness. Seems like Sullu and JR are not on the same page . JR said Sprong would be a top 9 forward this year etc.

Someone has to sit so we can play Cullen every game
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm

BurghThing wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Letang again can’t put the puck on a tee. Rarely can.

I often wonder if he has a vision problem? He hits shinpads directly in front of him, can't make a setup pass to save his life. Maybe he's just blind?

According to Mark Madden he's the teams best player this season. What a joke.....
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Tripping, slashing, holding, all of the above...take ur pick :D Letang was out there the last 3mins almost and was exhausted, but he wasn't going to allow the ENG. No quit at least, good on him. He's a bright spot this season and noticeably so.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AricM on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Jack Johnson is currently a team worst 26% possession. He was middle of the road this game while paired with Letang. Since being removed he’s dropped to dead last. Letang propping him up as per usual.

Yeah it’s like when LA re-acquired Scuderi and paired him with Doughty. All that did was mask the weakness. Seems like Sullu and JR are not on the same page . JR said Sprong would be a top 9 forward this year etc.

Next game I'd sit Johnson, Sheahan and Rust. Insert Riikola, Sprong, WBS call up.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I think Sully needs to get support from ownership to let him know that they support playing kids as opposed to Cullen EVERY GAME!

Sully was a WBS coach he needs to not forget his roots.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 pm

AricM wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:

Next game I'd sit Johnson, Sheahan and Rust. Insert Riikola, Sprong, WBS call up.

QfFT
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 pm

This team better turn it around quick before JR moves Kessel, Rust, Brass and Maatta out
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 pm

I think the best quote of the night came from Seth Rorabaugh:

Penguins wear their early 80's-esque throwbacks and give an early 80's-esque Penguins performance.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AricM on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 pm

KG wrote:This team better turn it around quick before JR moves Kessel, Rust, Brass and Maatta out

Rust and Brass, yes please!
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm

BurghThing wrote:
AricM wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:

QfFT

The problem right now is, with Crosby likely out a week, and no timetable yet on Brassard coming back, the Penguins don't have another 3C quality center in their organization, let alone 2C. Blueger and Johnson aren't going to be able to provide that level of offense. I think they could be upgrades to Sheahan and Cullen, but, that's not saying alot at the moment.

The Penguins need to go out and find a solid top 9 player who can play LW and C effectively. A guy who is perfectly fine playing LW a bunch of games, but, when an injury occurs like what we have with Brassard and Crosby, not having anybody else anywhere in the organization that can step up is a major problem.

Right now, I might think about offering up Bryan Rust with a pick to get an upgraded LW/C. Some names I would look at:

Brock Nelson, Marcus Johansson, Jordan Staal (yeah, I'm sure many here will cringe at that one), Artem Anisimov, Charlie Coyle, Andreas Athanisiou
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Missed most of the game but the last 2 minutes. November snowstorm, took 5 and a half hours to get home. Normal commute 45 minutes. Read everyone's posts , I think I have the answer. We need Tommy K. back!
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tman1737 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Let's see, sign J Johnson to 5yr contract, (horrible possession numbers, worse +/_), sign Cullen and Grant, instead of Duclair (7 g, 3a), and mortgage future assets for Brassard (square peg, round hole). Result?? 3yesr extension. Hmm....
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 pm

tman1737 wrote:Let's see, sign J Johnson to 5yr contract, (horrible possession numbers, worse +/_), sign Cullen and Grant, instead of Duclair (7 g, 3a), and mortgage future assets for Brassard (square peg, round hole). Result?? 3yesr extension. Hmm....

You can add in missing out on Max Domi. Some wanted him, some didn't, but, in looking through for possibly W/C that could maybe be had, I see Domi already has 10 goals and 22 points with Montreal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 pm

4 goals on 10 or 11 shots...quality goaltending is needed.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 pm

penny lane wrote:4 goals on 10 or 11 shots...quality goaltending is needed.

4 power play goals including extended 5 on 3’s. Really? Wow.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 pm

NJ Penguins Fan wrote:Missed most of the game but the last 2 minutes. November snowstorm, took 5 and a half hours to get home. Normal commute 45 minutes. Read everyone's posts , I think I have the answer. We need Tommy K. back!

How much snow did you get???
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The problem right now is, with Crosby likely out a week, and no timetable yet on Brassard coming back, the Penguins don't have another 3C quality center in their organization, let alone 2C. Blueger and Johnson aren't going to be able to provide that level of offense. I think they could be upgrades to Sheahan and Cullen, but, that's not saying alot at the moment.

The Penguins need to go out and find a solid top 9 player who can play LW and C effectively. A guy who is perfectly fine playing LW a bunch of games, but, when an injury occurs like what we have with Brassard and Crosby, not having anybody else anywhere in the organization that can step up is a major problem.

Right now, I might think about offering up Bryan Rust with a pick to get an upgraded LW/C. Some names I would look at:

Brock Nelson, Marcus Johansson, Jordan Staal (yeah, I'm sure many here will cringe at that one), Artem Anisimov, Charlie Coyle, Andreas Athanisiou

I'd be one that would cringe with Staal plus he carries a 6 mil contract (I don't like the cap hit) and a NMC I believe. I'm not sure if if's a Modified NMC or not.

Then again IMHO why would he come back. Shero offered him the same contract, or close to the same contract, he signed with at Carolina so it looks like he wanted out .
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 pm

The Arizona Coyotes have more short handed goals on the season than the Penguins have goals from their bottom 6 forwards.

Michael Grabner (boy would he have looked good here) has 5 goals on the season, 4 of them are shorties. Arizona as a team has 10 short handed goals. Their 10 SHG are more than 7 teams amount of power play goals.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Great tweet here

Daniel Sprong hasn't been good. He might not ever be good. But he at least provides potential for offense. When you're in this situation and playing Derek Grant, the dusty old bones of Matt Cullen, and some guy that has 0 points in 40 NHL games over him ... I mean, come on.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:34 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:The problem right now is, with Crosby likely out a week, and no timetable yet on Brassard coming back, the Penguins don't have another 3C quality center in their organization, let alone 2C. Blueger and Johnson aren't going to be able to provide that level of offense. I think they could be upgrades to Sheahan and Cullen, but, that's not saying alot at the moment.

I'd be one that would cringe with Staal plus he carries a 6 mil contract (I don't like the cap hit) and a NMC I believe. I'm not sure if if's a Modified NMC or not.

Then again IMHO why would he come back. Shero offered him the same contract, or close to the same contract, he signed with at Carolina so it looks like he wanted out .

It wouldn't be easy to get him. Carolina would have to retain some salary, at least 1.5M, but I believe he has played a decent amount of wing for Carolina, in addition to center. When at center, he's typically their #1 C, which we all know he's not a #1 C and shouldn't be anywhere. Have been rumors for several years that Canes want to move him.

In terms of leaving here, reportedly the biggest issue was to play on the same team as Eric. He's done that, it's over with. I believe he also wanted more playing time, and was stuck behind Sid and Geno. Rutherford would have a good inside track into knowing if there was more to him leaving Pittsburgh (since he was Carolina GM when Staal was traded there), but that is the biggest reason I have always heard. I did hear later that reportedly Staal was one of the several players, along with Adams, Orpik, and a few others, that were against Crosby as captain in that whole dust up. Heard that only a year or two ago that he was one of the ones going against Crosby....so I don't know how much truth there is to it, and if it is true, then I don't know how well he would still fit in the locker room with Sid and Geno.

But, he checks a lot of boxes the Penguins have been searching for since he left. Good defensively, consistent offense, bigger body, not slow for his size, good on faceoffs......
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:37 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Great tweet here

Daniel Sprong hasn't been good. He might not ever be good. But he at least provides potential for offense. When you're in this situation and playing Derek Grant, the dusty old bones of Matt Cullen, and some guy that has 0 points in 40 NHL games over him ... I mean, come on.

Was that Adam Gretz? (I know I saw that tweet tonight)

Even worse.....somebody, couldn't make out the voice, pretty directly asked Sullivan after the game, with the injuries to Sid and Brassard not back, why no Daniel Sprong and what does Daniel Sprong have to do to get back into the lineup.

Sullivan cited that Sprong has played in games, he's played roughly 11-12 games out of their 17-18 games, so not sure where the notion comes from that he hasn't played. Sullivan then said the staff has discussions all the time, and they felt the team they dressed tonight gave them the best chance to win. :roll: :face: :roll: :face:

I think Rutherford may have to have a heart to heart with Sullivan, and tell him when Brassard is back, I need 5 games of Sprong on the 3rd line or higher to see what we really have here. No 4th line duty, 3rd line or better.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Maybe. A few games at center would help Jake with his overall game. Plus he would make a fine 2nd line center.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:

It wouldn't be easy to get him. Carolina would have to retain some salary, at least 1.5M, but I believe he has played a decent amount of wing for Carolina, in addition to center. When at center, he's typically their #1 C, which we all know he's not a #1 C and shouldn't be anywhere. Have been rumors for several years that Canes want to move him.

In terms of leaving here, reportedly the biggest issue was to play on the same team as Eric. He's done that, it's over with. I believe he also wanted more playing time, and was stuck behind Sid and Geno. Rutherford would have a good inside track into knowing if there was more to him leaving Pittsburgh (since he was Carolina GM when Staal was traded there), but that is the biggest reason I have always heard. I did hear later that reportedly Staal was one of the several players, along with Adams, Orpik, and a few others, that were against Crosby as captain in that whole dust up. Heard that only a year or two ago that he was one of the ones going against Crosby....so I don't know how much truth there is to it, and if it is true, then I don't know how well he would still fit in the locker room with Sid and Geno.

But, he checks a lot of boxes the Penguins have been searching for since he left. Good defensively, consistent offense, bigger body, not slow for his size, good on faceoffs......

Wow Jordan was part of the coup. Never heard previously.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Great tweet here

And this tweet may have the one above beat:

“Dan Bylsma Era: The Sequel”

featuring

Jack Johnson as Brooks Orpik
Riley Sheahan as Brandon Sutter
Matt Cullen as Craig Adams
Daniel Sprong as Beau Bennett
Derek Grant as literally dozens of rando 4th liners, take your pick

With a special appearance by Injured Sidney Crosby!
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 pm

The Penguins have officially entered the Jack Hughes sweepstakes zone with tonight's loss.....

But, Sully would probably play him as a 4th line winger if we did get him so.....
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins