Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 11/17/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 11/17/18

Postby Antonio on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Ironically I'm more excited about the possibility of gutting and reshaping the team at this point than I am about watching their sorry miserable no effort performances.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Malkin is not the problem. He could benefit from maybe having Jake on his wing???
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Antonio wrote:
America wrote:Murray is bad.

That’s all.

Totally true but definitely not all.

I think he needs to be scratched for awhile. Let Jarry and DeSmith play (whoever is hot) and let Murray get himself right. I don't think he's a lost cause, but something is wrong with him. If he had waiver eligibility (haven't checked, but I doubt it), he should be in WBS for about a month to get himself some confidence.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PaLionking on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Also I think they still miss Tochette behind the bench as well.
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Antonio wrote:Ironically I'm more excited about the possibility of gutting and reshaping the team at this point than I am about watching their sorry miserable no effort performances.

Do you honestly trust JR to do this correctly?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Daniel wrote:
Antonio wrote:

That’s all.

I think he needs to be scratched for awhile. Let Jarry and DeSmith play (whoever is hot) and let Murray get himself right. I don't think he's a lost cause, but something is wrong with him. If he had waiver eligibility (haven't checked, but I doubt it), he should be in WBS for about a month to get himself some confidence.

They don't have the cap space. Murray has no waiver exemption. Jarry is the only one of the goalies with waiver exemption.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Murray has never been great and it's always some excuse. There is a reason he was drafted where he was. It's always something...a relative died, his girlfriend broke up with him, he doesn't have a competing goalie on the team, he ate some bad Indian food, blah blah blah. Everyone has stuff happen in their life... except most people aren't multi millionaires. Bottom line is that he just isn't more than an average goalie who has major flaws that he appears unable or unwilling to fix.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:09 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Antonio wrote:

That’s all.

They don't have the cap space. Murray has no waiver exemption. Jarry is the only one of the goalies with waiver exemption.

Thanks for the waiver exemption verification. Would they have the cap space if they LTIR'd Schultz? I don't think he needs to be scratched permanently, nor do I think he's beyond help, but he could use a few games in the press box. Shame about the cap space, but it would be nice if there was a way to do that. It just seems that his issues are mental and confidence related.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Daniel wrote:
Antonio wrote:Ironically I'm more excited about the possibility of gutting and reshaping the team at this point than I am about watching their sorry miserable no effort performances.

Sadly... No. I'm still excited at the POSSIBILITY though...at least until he starts wrecking it. Not like watching the games is any fun at this point. At least the X generation looked like they tried.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfaninhudsonvalley on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Murray has Cam Ward disease. Won stanley cup 1st season with team (Murray won 2 in 2 yrs both relieving MAF (after taking over G duties in the playoffs from Martin Gerber) and hasn't done anything since. Now on the Blackhawks rotting away. Wouldn't be shocked if he got traded to the pens because of the connection with Rutherford.
pensfaninhudsonvalley
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Antonio wrote:Murray has never been great and it's always some excuse. There is a reason he was drafted where he was. It's always something...a relative died, his girlfriend broke up with him, he doesn't have a competing goalie on the team, he ate some bad Indian food, blah blah blah. Everyone has stuff happen in their life... except most people aren't multi millionaires. Bottom line is that he just isn't more than an average goalie who has major flaws that he appears unable or unwilling to fix.

I think that's the key. I think he is an NHL caliber goalie and I think he'd be a top 15 goalie if he played to his potential. Problem is the same as the rest of the team. Other teams have adjusted to the Penguins roster and the coaching staff/players haven't adjusted. I think it's the same across the board, whether it's PP, PK, 5 on 5, goalie, defense, forwards, speed, whatever.

In game and coaching adjustments used to be a strength for Sullivan, etc. but now seems to be a weakness.

Just to add, I think Jarry would be better if given the chance.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:14 pm

It’s cute Errey has to say this isn’t over.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Look out......a goal by ZAR! Depth!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Antonio wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Sadly... No. I'm still excited at the POSSIBILITY though...at least until he starts wrecking it. Not like watching the games is any fun at this point. At least the X generation looked like they tried.

When Rutherford was hired instead of Botterill, I was disappointed. When we were told it was for a few years until someone was ready to replace him (remember that?), I was excited about the prospect of Botterill taking over. He was highly touted for a lot of years and I believe the Sabres got the top under 40 GM while also hurting the Penguins. Him and the GM in Columbus (can't remember the guys name) were always talked about as up and comers and the Penguins flat out blew it by letting him go. People talk about the Zubov or Naslund trades, but I think this will end up being worse.

Now JR signs an extension and you wonder if he'll ever leave. If this team has to go through a full rebuild with JR at the helm, they might not be good again in my lifetime. (well maybe, lol, but you get my point)
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 pm

OMG!!! Cullenmania running wild!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Watch Jack Johnson score next
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Daniel wrote:
Antonio wrote:Murray has never been great and it's always some excuse. There is a reason he was drafted where he was. It's always something...a relative died, his girlfriend broke up with him, he doesn't have a competing goalie on the team, he ate some bad Indian food, blah blah blah. Everyone has stuff happen in their life... except most people aren't multi millionaires. Bottom line is that he just isn't more than an average goalie who has major flaws that he appears unable or unwilling to fix.

I think that's the key. I think he is an NHL caliber goalie and I think he'd be a top 15 goalie if he played to his potential. Problem is the same as the rest of the team. Other teams have adjusted to the Penguins roster and the coaching staff/players haven't adjusted. I think it's the same across the board, whether it's PP, PK, 5 on 5, goalie, defense, forwards, speed, whatever.

In game and coaching adjustments used to be a strength for Sullivan, etc. but now seems to be a weakness.

Jarry hasn't exactly been burning up the AHL this year with a .909 save percentage. Not sure how important the goalie is when you have a team playing so poorly in all phases of the game.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Johnson, Rust and Cullen all made good plays there. Sign of the apocalypse.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:21 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Jarry hasn't exactly been burning up the AHL this year with a .909 save percentage. Not sure how important the goalie is when you have a team playing so poorly in all phases of the game.

He started off pretty slow, probably because of his injury, but seems to be coming on as of late. You're right though, hard to see anyone doing well when the team is playing so awful.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:21 pm

This just makes the first two periods all the more infuriating.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Matt Murray off the hook for loss
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Could be the come back aka Detroit 2015
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Anderson deciding to not let in any more goals.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 pm

There's the Pens we all know and love.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 pm

If there was any doubt as to the final outcome, it has been removed.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins