Official GDT: Pens va Sabres 11/19/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens va Sabres 11/19/18

Postby Faubert5 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:32 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:Watching this game brought back memories, bad memories of watching those awful teams in the 1980s. You can see it in the missed passes, the plays that don't quite connect, in the lack of effort from some, and in the questionable goal-tending. Everything about this team reeks of mediocrity. Even the broadcasters are dredging up stupid, irrelevant trivia, and BS statistics (reminds me of a Pirate game where the broadcasters just keep talking so that the audience doesn't kill themselves). Mearsy and Errey simply don't know what to say in the face of such God-awful hockey.

I don't blame Sullivan. This team has quit on itself. :face:

Yes, it's definitely time for this: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

At least in the '80s I had (some) hair.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:34 pm

So, I was out and just finished watching the game on the DVR. A few thoughts:

- Really strong performances by Pearson, Brassard, and Guentzel all around.
- I didn't try to sit there and over analyze, but, I thought a lot of the goals against were on DeSmith and not necessarily the defense. Again, I didn't really stop, replay over and over, but that was my first impression.
- The team still isn't quite there. They got the secondary scoring tonight, and played a good 40 minutes. They weren't good for about a 10-15 minute stretch, and it cost them dearly.
- This may have been one of the worst officiated games I have seen in several years. I won't say the Penguins lost because of the officiating, and there were things missed on both sides, but in the third period, the calls made and the missed calls greatly favored the Sabres
----Guentzel tripped Bogosian clear as day on the play up the ice, where Guentzel eventually scored.
----Not sure how McCabe didn't get tossed. ZAR turned into the boards at the last second, BUT, ZAR was never looking at McCabe....completely unaware McCabe is there in his blindside. McCabe has to do better there. Seems like no 5 and a game because no injury.
----On the play where Kessel got drilled into the boards after the play, Sheahan was hooked, held, interfered with, and I don't know what else before he finally managed to get the puck up to Kessel. How none of that is called is beyond me.
----Lots of high sticks missed against both sides.
----Brassard and Rust to start the period? Rust? Bryan Rust. I. Do. Not. Understand. Rust. Out. FIRST. In. OT. I would have went with Brassard and Guentzel, then Malkin and Pearson, then probably Brassard and Kessel, and Malkin and Hornqvist. All those guys had extremely strong games. Rust wasn't bad, but, he's been in a slump. What on earth was he doing out there to start OT. Giant head scratcher.

This is a game they should have won. They got the scoring from other sources tonight. Brassard looked really strong. I didn't see a ton of defensive gaffes. Some poor clearing attempts by forwards and defense alike, and some questionable goaltending again their undoing.

Not really sure what else to say here. I wouldn't make a knee-jerk trade after this game, but, they gotta start getting some W's here real soon.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 am

farnham16 wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this but the best course of action for the organization might just be to write this season off. Try for Hughes, trade some assets, and retool for the last three years or so of Sid and Geno. This is a horrible team right now. They are lucky to have the amount of points that they do.

With all of the top picks and generational talents that this team has or has had over the years, if you think trying for Hughes will go over well.......yikes.

This team currently has Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Brassard, Hornqvist, Guentzel, Pearson, Letang, (Schultz when healthy), Dumoulin. As much as you might want to deny it, it would be embarrassing to say this is a lottery pick team.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am

murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this but the best course of action for the organization might just be to write this season off. Try for Hughes, trade some assets, and retool for the last three years or so of Sid and Geno. This is a horrible team right now. They are lucky to have the amount of points that they do.

With all of the top picks and generational talents that this team has or has had over the years, if you think trying for Hughes will go over well.......yikes.

This team currently has Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Brassard, Hornqvist, Guentzel, Pearson, Letang, (Schultz when healthy), Dumoulin. As much as you might want to deny it, it would be embarrassing to say this is a lottery pick team.

Yeah, tanking is the worst option of any option imaginable. This team is loaded to some of the best players in the world. Try to win another cup.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins