Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

The home stretch

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The home stretch

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:58 am

Isles, Capitals, Carolina, Columbus, Montreal, Pittsburgh in the hunt. 5 of 6 get in

Islanders- 81 points, 18 games left (9 home-9 away), 2 back to backs, playoff teams to play- montreal twice, boston, Minnesota, Columbus twice, winnipeg, Toronto and Washington

Washington- 81 points, 17 games left (9-8), 1 back to back, playoff teams to play- Winnipeg, tampa bay three times, Carolina twice, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, islanders and montreal

Montreal- 77 points, 17 games left (8,9), 2 back to backs not counting tonight- playoff teams to play- Pittsburgh, San Jose, Islanders twice, Washington, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Columbus, Carolina

Carolina- 76 points , 18 games left (9,9), 4 back to backs not counting tonight- playoff teams to play- Boston, Winnipeg, Nashville, Columbus, Pittsburgh twice, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Montreal, Washington twice, Toronto

Columbus- 75 points, 19 games left (9-10), 5 back to backs- playoff teams to play- Pittsburgh twice, Winnipeg, Islanders twice, Boston three times, Carolina, Calgary, Montreal, Nashville

Pittsburgh- 75 points, 18 games left (10-8), 2 back to backs not counting tonight- playoff teams to play- Carolina twice, Columbus twice, Washington, Boston, Nashville twice, Montreal, St Louis, Dallas,

Pittsburgh in a disadvantage on tiebreakers with Carolina, Columbus and Montreal
. They advantage over Islanders and Washington if they can catch them.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: The home stretch

Postby Antonio on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Catching Washington or Islander is most likely out of the question. To make up 6 points, you have to win 3 more games than they do in only 18 and given how they have all played it is unlikely. I could see this team going 10-8 or 11-7, but not the Islanders or Craps 7-11 or 8-10. If they win all the games against rival competitors then yes, but that appears unlikely also.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:21 pm

Didn’t include Flyers. They have 9 of their 17 games left with Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina and the Islanders.

Winnipeg and Philadelphia can contribute to an interesting finish.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Just saw a stat where we're third to last in OT/Shootouts. Playing up to our potential in just that area would easily put us in the playoffs. Given our talent, if that doesn't confirm poor play by our stars and goaltending, I don't know what else does. I remember us being lights out not too long ago.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm

theblackarts wrote:Just saw a stat where we're third to last in OT/Shootouts. Playing up to our potential in just that area would easily put us in the playoffs. Given our talent, if that doesn't confirm poor play by our stars and goaltending, I don't know what else does. I remember us being lights out not too long ago.

we used to be one of, if not the BEST OT/Shootout teams but suddenly we are below average. It is baffling. If they were even average they would be 3rd in metro with a couple points up. But because they are below .500 in those situations they are a point back since its so tight.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Hatrick wrote:
theblackarts wrote:Just saw a stat where we're third to last in OT/Shootouts. Playing up to our potential in just that area would easily put us in the playoffs. Given our talent, if that doesn't confirm poor play by our stars and goaltending, I don't know what else does. I remember us being lights out not too long ago.

we used to be one of, if not the BEST OT/Shootout teams but suddenly we are below average. It is baffling. If they were even average they would be 3rd in metro with a couple points up. But because they are below .500 in those situations they are a point back since its so tight.

Bylsma used to constantly practice shootouts, I've never heard about Sullivan doing the same. Win the game in regulation and nobody cares about your shootout record.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:20 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

Bylsma used to constantly practice shootouts, I've never heard about Sullivan doing the same. Win the game in regulation and nobody cares about your shootout record.

that might play a part in the shootout part of the equation. I think there is a few things at play there, for much of their career it was Crosby, letang, and not sure if there was a consistent third person or not. I could be wrong but I feel like Fleury was also better in those situations than Murray just based off goalie playstyle(Murray I felt like is a technical guy, Fleury was an athletic butterfly sprawl out all over the place.)
So when they had Letang and Crosby scoring in the shootout at pretty regular clips, and Fleury being pretty good in shootouts, it is pretty easy to win those. Now they don't seem as automatic, whether that is just cause they don't practice it or what idk.

As for OT, they were great at it just last year, which makes sense given the players they have, but this year they are 3 games under .500 in OT.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:48 pm

18-0
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby danish_penguin on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:02 pm

The mutual games will decide it.
danish_penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:37 pm

danish_penguin wrote:The mutual games will decide it.

Yeah . They literally hold the post season in their hands with 2 games against CBJ & Canes and 1 against the Habs . They can't afford to take a pass on any of the remaining games but definitely not on these 5.

Also 2 games against the Preds means getting to see that POS Simmonds twice also. Great !! Who does he knock out of action in those games?
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:08 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:
danish_penguin wrote:The mutual games will decide it.

Yeah . They literally hold the post season in their hands with 2 games against CBJ & Canes and 1 against the Habs . They can't afford to take a pass on any of the remaining games but definitely not on these 5.

Also 2 games against the Preds means getting to see that POS Simmonds twice also. Great !! Who does he knock out of action in those games?
yeah of course the preds got Simmonds and boyle. So Simmonds can injure somebody and boyle can score a few more goals.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 am

If this team misses the playoffs because they finish behind Carolina, Montreal and Columbus everyone deserves to be fired.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Jackets lost to the jets tonight.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:10 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Jackets lost to the jets tonight.

yep, jackets lost, flyers won(against islanders), caps won(in a SO cause the rangers goalie threw his stick...)

Jackets only three points ahead of flyers at this point, and caps jumped over the islanders.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 am

pens_CT wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

So, here's a bigger stat breakdown.

I see only 3 games that have gone to shootout for the Penguins this season. They are 1-2 in shootouts. Their last one was their only win, December 10th against the Islanders.

I see 11 games that have gone to OT. Penguins are 4-7 in those games, and have lost their last 3 overtime contests. Checking a hunch:
--March 1st, OT loss to Buffalo....71/81 on the ice, roughly a 47 second shift
--February 7th, OT loss to Florida....59/81 on the ice, roughly 30 seconds shift
--November 23rd, OT loss to Boston...71/81 on the ice, roughly 1 minute 7 second shift
--November 19th, OT loss to Buffalo...71/81 on the ice, roughly a 27 second shift
--(The other 3 losses, 1 was 87/59, and Sid had started to change as BUF rushed up ice, another was a OT PPG by Dzingel, and one had 87/17 on the ice)

4 of the 7 out losses have had Kessel on the ice (3 of the 4 with Malkin). In OT, shifts are usually 30 seconds or less. Phil and Geno often push the envelope, will have one or two great all out rushes up ice, lose possession, and are too gassed to play defense. 47 seconds and 67 seconds are extremely high shift length in OT.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

I see only 3 games that have gone to shootout for the Penguins this season. They are 1-2 in shootouts. Their last one was their only win, December 10th against the Islanders.

I see 11 games that have gone to OT. Penguins are 4-7 in those games, and have lost their last 3 overtime contests. Checking a hunch:
--February 7th, OT loss to Florida....59/81 on the ice, roughly 30 seconds shift
--November 23rd, OT loss to Boston...71/81 on the ice, roughly 1 minute 7 second shift
--November 19th, OT loss to Buffalo...71/81 on the ice, roughly a 27 second shift
--(The other 3 losses, 1 was 87/59, and Sid had started to change as BUF rushed up ice, another was a OT PPG by Dzingel, and one had 87/17 on the ice)

4 of the 7 out losses have had Kessel on the ice (3 of the 4 with Malkin). In OT, shifts are usually 30 seconds or less. Phil and Geno often push the envelope, will have one or two great all out rushes up ice, lose possession, and are too gassed to play defense. 47 seconds and 67 seconds are extremely high shift length in OT.

Watched that Caps Rangers overtime yesterday and the one thing I noticed is that neither team forced the play. If there was nothing, they would leave the zone, reset, and possibly do a line change. Geno and Phil are going a hundred miles an hour, stay out too long and either score or get scored on.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:21 pm

More than anything, the Pens have to become the dominant home team it always has been. I would think this is the most they've struggled at home since Crosby's rookie season. 10 of the last 17 are at home. It's where we the fans attending maybe need to step up. We've kind of gotten spoiled. We aren't instilling the energy we have in the past. The vast majority of the toughest games are at home.

Home: Fla, CBJ, Bos, Wsh, St L, Philly, Nsh, Car, Det, NYR

Road: CBJ, Buf, Car, Nsh, Dal, NYR, Det
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

Watched that Caps Rangers overtime yesterday and the one thing I noticed is that neither team forced the play. If there was nothing, they would leave the zone, reset, and possibly do a line change. Geno and Phil are going a hundred miles an hour, stay out too long and either score or get scored on.

Doesn't all of this actually fall on the coaching?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Listened to Buffalo sports radio this morning with Craig Rivet and Andrew Peters. They are actually pretty good. They asked each was on top of their wish list. Both responded the BJ's not making the playoffs after loading up at the trade deadline. The ridicule was non-stop. Apparently the disdain for Torts and the BJ's extend beyond western Pa.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Humperdink wrote:Listened to Buffalo sports radio this morning with Craig Rivet and Andrew Peters. They are actually pretty good. They asked each was on top of their wish list. Both responded the BJ's not making the playoffs after loading up at the trade deadline. The ridicule was non-stop. Apparently the disdain for Torts and the BJ's extend beyond western Pa.

I think a lot of that is because of what they did at the deadline. Many felt the same towards the Pens when they loaded up with Iggy. It is just one of those things.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Humperdink wrote:Listened to Buffalo sports radio this morning with Craig Rivet and Andrew Peters. They are actually pretty good. They asked each was on top of their wish list. Both responded the BJ's not making the playoffs after loading up at the trade deadline. The ridicule was non-stop. Apparently the disdain for Torts and the BJ's extend beyond western Pa.

Ottawa is the one rooting hardest against the jackets considering the picks. If their pick ends up being much higher than initially thought the trade(s) suddenly looks better for them. I don't see why Buffalo would have a horse in the race but I guess just rooting against a team that loaded up is 1.funny 2.people like to hate a team that is favored.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

67 seconds is long during regulation, let alone OT where you only have 3 guys covering a whole lot of ice. Just the fact one common denominator on greater than half the OT losses had one player in common(and almost half had two guys in common) is alarming. But I would agree with your hypothesis that it is because they spend way too long on the ice, and play hard in the offensive zone, so if they do not score they have trouble playing defense afterwards.

Did you happen to look up who was on the ice for the four wins? I know one of them was sid's goal vs the oilers but I do not remember the other three. If phil/geno are constantly getting scored on they should at least be putting some pucks into the net.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm

Hatrick wrote:67 seconds is long during regulation, let alone OT where you only have 3 guys covering a whole lot of ice. Just the fact one common denominator on greater than half the OT losses had one player in common(and almost half had two guys in common) is alarming. But I would agree with your hypothesis that it is because they spend way too long on the ice, and play hard in the offensive zone, so if they do not score they have trouble playing defense afterwards.

Did you happen to look up who was on the ice for the four wins? I know one of them was sid's goal vs the oilers but I do not remember the other three. If phil/geno are constantly getting scored on they should at least be putting some pucks into the net.

How many lines does Sully roll during OT? I'm guessing that it's mostly two. To have one group over half would not be surprising even if he were rolling 3.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:02 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:67 seconds is long during regulation, let alone OT where you only have 3 guys covering a whole lot of ice. Just the fact one common denominator on greater than half the OT losses had one player in common(and almost half had two guys in common) is alarming. But I would agree with your hypothesis that it is because they spend way too long on the ice, and play hard in the offensive zone, so if they do not score they have trouble playing defense afterwards.

How many lines does Sully roll during OT? I'm guessing that it's mostly two. To have one group over half would not be surprising even if he were rolling 3.

true, two is probably a pretty good guess(sid-jake, phil-geno, maybe a rust or somebody thrown in there on occasion), not often would there be a center other than Crosby or malkin, so it would be expected, to me, if geno was on the ice for either the same number or more against than kessel.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Hatrick wrote:

Ottawa is the one rooting hardest against the jackets considering the picks. If their pick ends up being much higher than initially thought the trade(s) suddenly looks better for them. I don't see why Buffalo would have a horse in the race but I guess just rooting against a team that loaded up is 1.funny 2.people like to hate a team that is favored.

A couple of things. Buffalo does not have a horse in this race. In fact, for all practical purposes, their horse has succumbed. The commentators were musing about the firings (Torts et al) should the BJ's falter. Additionally, they were wondering if the BJ's should even bother showing up for the upcoming draft. Guess you had to be there. :D
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins