The home stretch

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The home stretch

Postby icemancometh on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:45 am

4 of the 7 out losses have had Kessel on the ice (3 of the 4 with Malkin). In OT, shifts are usually 30 seconds or less. Phil and Geno often push the envelope, will have one or two great all out rushes up ice, lose possession, and are too gassed to play defense. 47 seconds and 67 seconds are extremely high shift length in OT.

Watched that Caps Rangers overtime yesterday and the one thing I noticed is that neither team forced the play. If there was nothing, they would leave the zone, reset, and possibly do a line change. Geno and Phil are going a hundred miles an hour, stay out too long and either score or get scored on.


Accounts, in part, for both of their atrocious +/- stats this year. That and their penchant for turning the puck over at the opponent's blue line.
icemancometh
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:33 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:10 pm

If Dumoulin is good to go tonight, who sits? Trotman and have Riikola play RD?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,921
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: The home stretch

Postby Ericf on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:50 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:If Dumoulin is good to go tonight, who sits? Trotman and have Riikola play RD?


No, Guds is RHD, not Riikola....Riikola most definitely would sit
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:16 pm

For those of you who want/need a game-by-game, day-by-day update on current playoff scenarios:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/playoffs/matchups

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,398
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: The home stretch

Postby longtimefan on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:For those of you who want/need a game-by-game, day-by-day update on current playoff scenarios:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/playoffs/matchups

BEPF


What's interesting about that is they perceive the Pens have having more home games and less quality opponents than the main competition around them. The Pens have 9 home games, and 12 quality opponents.

The Caps have 8 and 14
The Canes have 9 and 15
The Habs have 7 and 12
The Isles have 7 and 14
The BJ's have 6 and 12

That seem to fly in the face about how daunting their schedule appeared to be. Nothing matters unless you win the games.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,935
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby Hatrick on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm

well caps already up on the flyers tonight, goal by garbage can. If philly can somehow win Pittsburgh would remain only four back of first. Rest of teams that matter are off tonight.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby johnnews on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 am

96 gets them the 8th seed. 97-98 gets the 7 seed, avoiding TB first round. 99-100 gets them the 2-3 division match up with a decent chance of home ice. My guess is NYI falter a bit, Caps win the division, and it's the Pens/Isles with Pens getting the 2nd division seed and home ice.

But, it's going to be that tight.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am
Location: Downingtown, PA

Re: The home stretch

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:02 am

Habs and Canes picked a good time to start a losing streak.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,304
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: The home stretch

Postby Humperdink on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:23 am

Watched the Craps and Devils last night. 3-0 shutout by Craps (including an EN). Wasn't as close as close as the score indicated. How do we lose these bottom feeders remains one of the great mysteries?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,111
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The home stretch

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:12 am

Humperdink wrote:Watched the Craps and Devils last night. 3-0 shutout by Craps (including an EN). Wasn't as close as close as the score indicated. How do we lose these bottom feeders remains one of the great mysteries?


We're not alone. Caps got torched by the Ducks, Hawks, and Sabres not long ago..... I watched with glee the Jets dismantling the Canes 9-1 last night, and then the Ducks crushing the Habs 8-2. Both good news for the Pens.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,935
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby brwi on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Watched the Craps and Devils last night. 3-0 shutout by Craps (including an EN). Wasn't as close as close as the score indicated. How do we lose these bottom feeders remains one of the great mysteries?


We're not alone. Caps got torched by the Ducks, Hawks, and Sabres not long ago..... I watched with glee the Jets dismantling the Canes 9-1 last night, and then the Ducks crushing the Habs 8-2. Both good news for the Pens.


I quit on the Canes game at 4-0 in the 1st. Shocked this morning to see BrindAmour left Mcelhinney in for all 8 goals. Cannot usually stomach the Ducks, but did enjoy some of that route. Canes play Nashville tonight in TN.....no matter how they hard they may want to put last night's performance behind them, going to need some breaks against the better Preds on their ice.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,048
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Islanders or blue jackets tonight?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,185
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Islanders or blue jackets tonight?

Jackets. Shoot for home ice in round 1 and don't look in the rear view.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: The Records Room

Re: The home stretch

Postby Hatrick on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:32 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Islanders or blue jackets tonight?

jackets, in regulation. Have a 4 point lead over them so them getting two isn't terrible, they just tie Carolina. But would keep islanders within striking distance.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby Humperdink on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Jackets, coming off a high.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,111
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The home stretch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:30 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Islanders or blue jackets tonight?

Meteor
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: The home stretch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Well the islanders won. I am actually kind of liking this spot. The top 4 teams are most likely Tampa, bruins, leafs, caps. At this point it would be a first round matchup with the leafs.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,185
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby Ericf on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Well the islanders won. I am actually kind of liking this spot. The top 4 teams are most likely Tampa, bruins, leafs, caps. At this point it would be a first round matchup with the leafs.


You must not have watched the playoffs lately...they don’t seed 1-8 anymore. Right now the Pens (third in the Metro) would play the second team in the Metro (the Isles)....only the top team in each division plays a wild card team by point ranking
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Ericf wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Well the islanders won. I am actually kind of liking this spot. The top 4 teams are most likely Tampa, bruins, leafs, caps. At this point it would be a first round matchup with the leafs.


You must not have watched the playoffs lately...they don’t seed 1-8 anymore. Right now the Pens (third in the Metro) would play the second team in the Metro (the Isles)....only the top team in each division plays a wild card team by point ranking



Haha. I knew that, just completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,185
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby Hatrick on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 pm

they really should go back to the old system though. Even the players dislike the new one according to the poll done. Guess we are stuck with it until the new CBA maybe.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: The home stretch

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 am

Hatrick wrote:they really should go back to the old system though. Even the players dislike the new one according to the poll done. Guess we are stuck with it until the new CBA maybe.



I think the Pens and Caps are required to play in the second round in the updated CBA
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,156
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:51 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby johnnews on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:19 am

Still think they finish #2 in the division and play the Isles first round with home ice.

Was listening to the Philly pregame radio last night. They think it will take them 98 pts to get in due to their disadvantage in ROW. Means they can only lose 2 more. Can't wait until they're eliminated.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am
Location: Downingtown, PA

Re: The home stretch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Hurricanes will not go away. They just keep winning games and they are doing it against good teams.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,185
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 pm

We keep winning but so does everyone else. Montreal and Jackets both won tonight.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,185
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The home stretch

Postby brwi on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:We keep winning but so does everyone else. Montreal and Jackets both won tonight.


One of those 2 isn't going to make it. Think that the Pens and Canes will in whatever spots and CBJ/MTL will go down to the last weekend where Columbus plays the Rags and Sens and MTL has the much better Caps and Leafs. I've been thinking MTL will fade out but Columbus isn't anything wonderful either. Like the Jackets chances better with the schedule though.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,048
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Antonio and 61 guests


e-mail