OK, let's blow it up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

OK, let's blow it up

Postby scpensfan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Third in the division in the regular season. Trucked in the first round of the playoffs. Changes have to be coming, right? What's your play?

Crosby ($8.7M for 6 more years): Crazy talk. He stays.
Malkin ($9.5M for 3 more years): Crazy talk. He stays. Unless someone offers a Godfather-type deal. For the first time, I'd at least consider it.
Kessel ($6.8M for 3 more years): I think it's time. He's slowing down and now's the time to get out from under that deal and reallocate resources.
Hornqvist ($5.3M for 4 more years): Wow. Tough one. He's the heart and soul of a team that just spent three games showing none of that. Not going to age well.
Every other forward: Doesn't really make enough to make a meaningful impact.

Letang ($7.25M for 3 more years): Do it. He's had multiple health issues and, at least to me, is Exhibit A for "playing the wrong way". Better to trade him a year too early than a year too late. They've proven they can win it all without him.
Schultz ($5.5 for 1 more year): Wow. If you can resign him for less than that, I'm on board. If you can't, deal him.
Dumoulin ($4.1 for 4 more years): I think they can rebuild the defense with him as a No. 1. And let his 4.1 serve as the cap for defensemen.
Maatta ($4.08 for 3 more years): Yikes. Not sure that they'll be able to get anything for him. If the other D stay, though, he has to go.
Gudbranson/Johnson: What the heck. Run it back one more year. See what they can do with a full year of Martin/Gonchar. Hope for the best.

My preference: Deal Letang and Kessel. Consider Schultz and Hornqvist.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: OK, let's blow it up

Postby Kevintripod on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Team misses Tocchet....Recchi has to go.

I have a bad feeling they will be in "Get the coach fired" mode next season.
Kevintripod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Agree with both posts completely, except I would want Johnson gone. I can live with Gud though currently, but two major liabilities on the bottom pair is too much. Honestly, you can't find 1-2m d men to do the same quality job on the bottom pair over spending 9m on a pair you have to shelter like crazy and do a mediocre job at best? I don't want Kessel gone but I think real changes need to be made and given that he's a steal at 6.8m for a PPG, it should be considered.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm

The core of this team has played 3 seasons in the span of two. Need a recharge. Nothing is broken. It happens. Reload and recoil.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:11 pm

pronovost19 wrote:The core of this team has played 3 seasons in the span of two. Need a recharge. Nothing is broken. It happens. Reload and recoil.

I can see a trade of Kessel for two reasons, and neither because I want him to be traded. First, his salary is going to be too high next season. Not that they can’t do other things, but his style as a player goes to point two. I don’t think this team is built for a speed game and fast teams tend to give the Penguins fits. I think they need to slow things down and play more of a dump and chase game. Kessel isn’t suited for anything but a speed game and this team needs to adapt from the type of game that Kessel thrives in.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby battleship kelly on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:40 pm

keep Sid and build around him. Malkin, Letanger, Murray, Horny can all go. Would probably get 4 0r 5 good players back and a couple prospects.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:06 pm

If you want to maximize the value of shipping some of these guys off, the issue is that their value will be higher at the trade deadline than in the offseason. Guys like Letang, Kessel, and Horny will be very appealing to a GM who has a young team in playoff position, but thinks they're one veteran piece away. However, that would require either giving up one more year of 87/71 prime, and that clock is spinning quickly. I think you have to make a couple of big moves in the offseason to get faster, and give the (real) core one more year even if you could have maybe got more by waiting.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:10 pm

pronovost19 wrote:The core of this team has played 3 seasons in the span of two. Need a recharge. Nothing is broken. It happens. Reload and recoil.

That was last year's excuse
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm

I've been saying it the past couple seasons, this team plays a better more structured defensive game with Letang out of the lineup. I would trade him for whatever we can get this offseason.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Antonio wrote:

sarcasm :face:
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I've been saying it the past couple seasons, this team plays a better more structured defensive game with Letang out of the lineup. I would trade him for whatever we can get this offseason.

At times Letang looks like a Norris candidate, and at other times he looks like a beer league scratch player.

The problem with trading Letang is:

1) The Penguins have nobody internally to replace him. Addison might be the best shot, but we have no idea about him. They would have to trade for another #1 D-man, and the price of those these days is a lot more than what we are paying Letang.

2) Schultz stood on his head when Letang was out and earned a big payday. We haven't seen that Schultz since. He had a down year last year, was injured most of this year, and really hasn't looked very good.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Kingerski hinted on twitter after the game that the Penguins "laid the groundwork for a core player trade" at the trade deadline, and the trade would be completed at the draft. Doesn't say the name, but very obvious he is talking about Kessel. TIFWIW
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:24 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
Antonio wrote:

sarcasm :face:

Nailed it
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Retool. Don't burn it down, because not all of it is rotten.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Kingerski hinted on twitter after the game that the Penguins "laid the groundwork for a core player trade" at the trade deadline, and the trade would be completed at the draft. Doesn't say the name, but very obvious he is talking about Kessel. TIFWIW

Is Phil a core player? I don’t think so. Wouldn’t “core” mean Sid, Geno or Letang?
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 pm

I have been saying it since training camp. The team is spending too much on defense at the expense of offense. Percentage of cap spent on defense is the highest ever.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Ericf wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Kingerski hinted on twitter after the game that the Penguins "laid the groundwork for a core player trade" at the trade deadline, and the trade would be completed at the draft. Doesn't say the name, but very obvious he is talking about Kessel. TIFWIW

Is Phil a core player? I don’t think so. Wouldn’t “core” mean Sid, Geno or Letang?

Phil isn't a core player? Ok.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Well, it appears a certainty we aren't stressing over the protected list in the Seattle expansion draft.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I could see it being Maatta and/or Kessel. Salary definitely needs shed obviously. Especially on the back end.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scpensfan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 pm

I’m changing my preference to dealing Letang, Maatta and Kessel. I don’t like the idea of a trade deadline deal. Get it done and start the new year fresh.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby alancac98 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:59 pm

For me, say goodbye to Letang, Maatta, Johnson, Kessel, Wilson, Simon, and Cullen. Possibly Horny and Malkin as well, though Horny represents the only net front presence that can take a beating and keep plugging away in the crease. Gotta get youth and speed. I know it's a lot, but most of this is dead weight that is holding this team back! Trotman might improve and would Prow be ready is a question.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

alancac98 wrote:For me, say goodbye to Letang, Maatta, Johnson, Kessel, Wilson, Simon, and Cullen. Possibly Horny and Malkin as well, though Horny represents the only net front presence that can take a beating and keep plugging away in the crease. Gotta get youth and speed. I know it's a lot, but most of this is dead weight that is holding this team back! Trotman might improve and would Prow be ready is a question.

I’m concerned we are becoming Chicago. Good enough to sniff the playoffs but either just missing or an easy out in round 1
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby alancac98 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 am

Chicago is what happens when you try to keep players too long hoping your playoff success can continue. Change is necessary and you need some young hungry guys to play. You're seeing this with the Isles right now. The Isles aren't this good and will fall in Round 2, but they have that desire the lets them succeed beyond any reasonable expectation. We need that back.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am

Its Kessel, I just hope Rutherford doesn't take on a bad deal to get it done. I feel like Kessel to Chicago for Saad is something Sully would love, but would dig us into a bigger hole.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penguins Knight on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am

Are the Penguins leading the series against the Islanders? If no, something is broken.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins