OK, let's blow it up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: OK, let's blow it up

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Here is what Pierre LeBrun just said:

What I'm hearing: Kessel at the moment is not leaning towards waiving his NTC to go to Minnesota but that doesn't mean it ultimately couldn't happen eventually. However, there are a few clubs on his 8-team YES list that have contacted Pittsburgh so we'll see where that goes...

EDIT: LeBrun added this shortly afterwards:

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford continues to talk to other teams about Kessel ... it's a question of when not if for Kessel to be dealt but where exactly remains TBD.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Too bad we can’t see the 8 teams Phill would accept a trade to. Find it hard to believe he wouldn’t agree to play back home?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Elliott Friedman chimed in that as of right now, Minnesota is not a team on Kessel's 8 team list.

If Elliott knows who isn't on the list, then he must know who IS on the list. Other wise, he is just guessing. If you're a reporter, then report!
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Elliott Friedman chimed in that as of right now, Minnesota is not a team on Kessel's 8 team list.

If Elliott knows who isn't on the list, then he must know who IS on the list. Other wise, he is just guessing. If you're a reporter, then report!

I'm really surprised the list has not come out. A few years ago, I believe around the time he came to Pittsburgh, his list was somewhat outted. It was constructed in a way that he couldn't easily be traded. The 8 teams Kessel selected were all teams with solid RWs, or no cap ability to acquire Kessel.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ericf on Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Hopefully Phil rejects this deal because it’s another JR special, bringing more mediocre players on bad contracts in when we need to shed salary...what happened to his purported interest in getting more first round picks and prospects?
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Thu May 23, 2019 4:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:Have to think Zucker is the main piece coming back.

Kessel and Johnson for Zucker, Rask and Minnesota’s 1st round pick? Sound about right ?

Everything but the 1st round pick.....

Personally I don't think Zucker for Kessel is enough, but whatever. I don't like the swap of the other two and would rather see JJ to Ottawa for Condon. Gives them the ability to make the salary bottom and gives us some cap space. The whole Pitt/Minn proposal doesn't do that at all.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Kessel and Johnson for Zucker, Rask and Minnesota’s 1st round pick? Sound about right ?

Personally I don't think Zucker for Kessel is enough, but whatever. I don't like the swap of the other two and would rather see JJ to Ottawa for Condon. Gives them the ability to make the salary bottom and gives us some cap space. The whole Pitt/Minn proposal doesn't do that at all.

Zucker and their 1st for Kessel is the starting point, Zucker for Kessel straight up is a terrible deal. Rask is a 4M version of Riley Sheahan
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Zucker and their 1st for Kessel is the starting point, Zucker for Kessel straight up is a terrible deal. Rask is a 4M version of Riley Sheahan

I don't see what the fuss over Zucker is. While I admit that I haven't watched him play that much, judging by his stats and TSN bio he looks like a $5.5 million version of Bryan Rust. With one decent year.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Pierre LeBrun Retweeted Josh Yohe

What I'm hearing: Kessel at the moment is not leaning towards waiving his NTC to go to Minnesota but that doesn't mean it ultimately couldn't happen eventually. However, there are a few clubs on his 8-team YES list that have contacted Pittsburgh so we'll see where that goes...

https://www.tsn.ca/report-minnesota-wil ... -1.1310522
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu May 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Curious about something. If JJ gets traded, when will ownership see the amount of UFAs that JR signs/acquires that get traded within a year of being signed or traded for? How many is that, Hunwick, Sheahan, Brassard, Pearson, Reaves, then add in JJ if he's traded? That's just off the top of my head.

It seems as though JR doesn't really take chemistry into consideration when acquiring a player, whether signing the player or trading for them. I understand moving on from a mistake, but it seems to happen to JR quite a lot over the past couple of seasons.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu May 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Ericf wrote:Hopefully Phil rejects this deal because it’s another JR special, bringing more mediocre players on bad contracts in when we need to shed salary...what happened to his purported interest in getting more first round picks and prospects?

:thumb:
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu May 23, 2019 5:15 pm

The odds that a Kessel trade would be done at this point would be if a draft pick was involved. Otherwise, you would wait until after the draft to see what teams needs are.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Josh Yohe was on with Dejan, radio for MM.
He said GMJRwants the Kessel trade done quickly. Does not want to go through the summer with this on his back.
If Phil takes Johnson with him, that is a win.

Better to get done prior to final games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Pens resign

“The Penguins have re-signed defenseman Chad Ruhwedel to a two-year contract. The deal runs through the 2020.21 season and has an average annual value of $700,000.”
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri May 24, 2019 9:42 am

penny lane wrote:Josh Yohe was on with Dejan, radio for MM.
He said GMJRwants the Kessel trade done quickly. Does not want to go through the summer with this on his back.
If Phil takes Johnson with him, that is a win.

Better to get done prior to final games.

Not if Rask is coming back. Johnson $3.25Mx4 >>> Rask $4Mx3.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the riddler on Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 pm

I think the wise move here would be to bury Johnson in the minors instead of trading for another bad player. They'd get about 1.45 million in space. I don't understand this whole thing with acquiring a bad contract and giving up one. It worked for JR once with the Daley - Scuderi trade and it blew up in his face with the Hagelin-Pearson-Gudbranson deals. This team could've had $4 million in open space headed into the summer and instead is saddled with Gudbranson. And I don't hate Gudbranson, but they didn't need a third pairing defenseman for $4 million a year.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Not really Penguins related.....former Penguins related though so, I'll risk it.

Reporter was doing a story on the Devils not related to the draft, but, at the end of his discussion with Shero, he asked Ray who he was taking #1 overall.

Shero's response "Vontae Mack, for sure." Least he has a sense of humor.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins