Who likes what they see from Malkin so far?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who likes what they see from Malkin so far?

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:21 pm

Not that the "Crosby Mouth" thread isnt chalk full of stimulating conversation, I just thought maybe we could share some thoughts on that unbeleivable game between Russia and Slovokia.

That was the best game I've seen in years. Im sure some of you know that I think Gaborik is among the top 5 hockey players in the NHL and after watching him score the 4th and 5th goals late in a 5-3 Slovokia win I think some of you might concur. The AK-27 represented and Gonchar and Kasparitus were the best tandom on the ice (surprisingly) for either team.

What makes this thread officially Penguin related (put the badge away) is that Malkin played and it was the first time I got to watch him, as im sure it was for many Pens fans.

I was very impressed and I am officially psyched for next season. After watching him play it's easy to see why CP held out as long as he could (even though it was too long) to bring Malkin over last summer. He would help the Pens tremendously because he is great at faceoffs, awesome on the PK, can carry the puck end to end on the PP, and can make average players alot better with his uncanny hockey sense and pass accuracy. He did'nt get to shoot the puck but he was very involved all over the ice, he combines a cerebral style with a rough physical edge.

Colby Armstrong is not going to be the next Ron Francis. Evegny Malkin is the next Ron Francis WITH SPEED TO BURN. By your season tickets now you yinzers sheep!!!!
NIN

Postby dman66 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 pm

i am equally excited about malkin. he looked awesome out there on the pk, and made some slick passes. seemed that russia couldn't find a line for him to mesh with. i am very excited though for next year
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53 pm

I guess if I was going to get the flu and call in sick from work, today was a good day to do it, as I got to see Canada-Italy, USA-Latvia and Russia-Slovakia.

This was the fifth time I've gotten a chance to see Malkin play. I caught him twice during the Grand Forks WJCs and twice during this year's WJCs as well. I noticed the Francis comparison right away when I saw him in the Grand Forks WJC, just by the way he skates. And in both WJCs, I was impressed not only with his playmaking skills (if not on par with Crosby, damn close) but also the very physical game he played. THis is a kid who clearly has no second thoughts about going into the corners and throwing his body around - in fact, at times he seemed to invite it.

I wanted to temper my thoughts on him because he was doing this at the junior level. That's why I was glad I got to see today's game. This was the closest he's been to NHL-caliber competition so far - at the very least measure him up against some familiar names.

I thought he did a solid job today. He seems very polished for a 19-year old kid. His hockey sense reminds me of that of Crosby...I hate to say that, but he does. He reminds me a 6'3" version of Crosby. You can tell he sees the ice and the game the same way Sid does. I'd like to see him shoot the puck a little more when he gets the chance...I thought he passed up a couple of opportunities to take some nice shots today. But all in all, I was impressed.

The Pens are really going to have to find some wingers that bang the puck home.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Who likes what they see from Malkin so far?

Postby Draftnik on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:54 pm

NIN wrote:Not that the "Crosby Mouth" thread isnt chalk full of stimulating conversation, I just thought maybe we could share some thoughts on that unbeleivable game between Russia and Slovokia.

That was the best game I've seen in years. Im sure some of you know that I think Gaborik is among the top 5 hockey players in the NHL and after watching him score the 4th and 5th goals late in a 5-3 Slovokia win I think some of you might concur. The AK-27 represented and Gonchar and Kasparitus were the best tandom on the ice (surprisingly) for either team.

What makes this thread officially Penguin related (put the badge away) is that Malkin played and it was the first time I got to watch him, as im sure it was for many Pens fans.

I was very impressed and I am officially psyched for next season. After watching him play it's easy to see why CP held out as long as he could (even though it was too long) to bring Malkin over last summer. He would help the Pens tremendously because he is great at faceoffs, awesome on the PK, can carry the puck end to end on the PP, and can make average players alot better with his uncanny hockey sense and pass accuracy. He did'nt get to shoot the puck but he was very involved all over the ice, he combines a cerebral style with a rough physical edge.

Colby Armstrong is not going to be the next Ron Francis. Evegny Malkin is the next Ron Francis WITH SPEED TO BURN. By your season tickets now you yinzers sheep!!!!

I don't think Gaborik is top 5, but there is no way Minnesota would trade him to the Pens as you have suggested. He did show incredible burst on those 2 goals. Gonchar backchecked like a demon to break up a 2-1 when he was on the PP. I've never seen him skate that hard in his entire NHL career. Malkin is the real deal. He has the gift to see the entire ice and know where the puck is going before it is moved there. I've seen him play ~ 10 times. Last year in the WC with essentially the same Russian squad he did not look out of place. He was the best Russian player in the semifinal game. I'd expect Malkin to move up with some better linemates in the next game. I know he plays with those 2 guys in Russia, but he will be their go to guy by the end of the tourney. The way he moved around in the zone on the PP today was very impressive.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:01 am

Unfortunately, I did not get to see any of it as it was not in the 8 hour block my PC recorded. :x

From what I can tell, it was on at the same time as the start of the US vs. Latvia match. Hopefully I will get to see tomorrow's games...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:05 am

netwolf wrote:Unfortunately, I did not get to see any of it as it was not in the 8 hour block my PC recorded. :x

From what I can tell, it was on at the same time as the start of the US vs. Latvia match. Hopefully I will get to see tomorrow's games...

They switched stations due to the simuelcast.

http://www.nhl.com/olympics/2006/schedule.html

I think there are like 3 differnt NBC owned channels in total showing all the action.

Im gonna DVR Russia's game tommarrow but I don't know if my heart could take the greif of another USA game. Latvia? Ahhh man.
NIN

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:13 am

Draftnik wrote: I'd expect Malkin to move up with some better linemates in the next game. I know he plays with those 2 guys in Russia, but he will be their go to guy by the end of the tourney. .

I noticed they lessoned his icetime in the 3rd period and they put the most overrated player in hockey with his original wingers halfway through the game. I am assuming that these discissions have alot to do with the veterans pride more than anything else because having watched the line perform with Yashin, id say they were at considerable risk of a defensive breakdown. Bad coaching move in my opinion. What do you think?
NIN

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:29 am

NIN wrote:
Draftnik wrote: I'd expect Malkin to move up with some better linemates in the next game. I know he plays with those 2 guys in Russia, but he will be their go to guy by the end of the tourney. .

I noticed they lessoned his icetime in the 3rd period and they put the most overrated player in hockey with his original wingers halfway through the game. I am assuming that these discissions have alot to do with the veterans pride more than anything else because having watched the line perform with Yashin, id say they were at considerable risk of a defensive breakdown. Bad coaching move in my opinion. What do you think?

All Yashin does is lose. I thought I read a few weeks ago that Sushinsky and the other guy are on Malkin's Magnitogorsk line. I've never looked up their team roster on the web to verify this. That would be the only acceptable reason to keep those 3 together IMO if they play regularly.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:41 am

I am almost positive that Sushinsky plays with Malkin in the RSL. I think Kharitonov does too, but I am 99.9% certain that Sushinsky does.

As for scheduling conflicts, check Yahoo. They have the EST of the games as well as what NBC they are going to be on.
MrKnowNothing

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:44 am

Ya Sushinsky and the other dude play with Malkin in Magnitogorsk. I thought Malkin played good, the announcers were praising him a lot. He really impressed me with his penalty killing, blocked a couple shots and made some good plays. His passing was spot on as well, especially that one give and go he had with someone where he passed it behind his back and hit the man in stride. I would have liked to have seen some shots from him but as others said, he didnt get much ice time, probably due to him killing penalties also. Malkin always seemed to make the good, smart play with the puck.

The most noticable guy in the game was Kovalev.... He still has it... if he played in pittsburgh next year and played the entire season, he would net 40 goals. Ya rip me if you want, but I know it.

Gaborik's goals were sweeeet as well.

Surovy played for slovakia, but I think i noticed him once. That was about it.

p.s. gonchar for kovalev please t.y.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:56 am

Actually, after reveiwing their lineup Yashin is going to be either your 1st or 2nd line center. Malkin is the other, but is probably better served on the top line while Afiniginov could help on the back-check for line 2 and make up for Yashins uninspired neutral zone play.

Kovalev is the man, he is wearing the "C" too.

Surovy looked alittle shocked to have that much room and nobody draped over him like in every shift he plays in the NHL. I still think he isnt mean enough to thrive in the NHL but he is still s serviceable player for the Pens short term outlook.
NIN

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 am

I thought Malkin looked good and not out of place at all among NHL'ers. He didn't really stand out but did make a couple nice plays.

The Russians are loaded at forward but their defense & goaltending will be their undoing.....
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rananda on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:14 pm

you guys are funny. kharitonov and sushinky do not play w malkin in magnitogorsk. they play for dynamo moscow. kharitonov is terrible, if they put ovechkin on that line it would be really be something. malkin's assist today was gorgeous. he can dominate play at times, amazing player.
rananda

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:25 pm

rananda wrote:you guys are funny. kharitonov and sushinky do not play w malkin in magnitogorsk. they play for dynamo moscow. kharitonov is terrible, if they put ovechkin on that line it would be really be something. malkin's assist today was gorgeous. he can dominate play at times, amazing player.

I started the talk that they may play together in the RSL, but if you look at my original post in this thread I was skeptical of that claim. I know internet articles from Europe tend to lose some meaning in translation, but the article I read did claim Malkin would be on an Olympic line with Sushinsky and the Kharitonov.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:12 pm

rananda wrote:you guys are funny. kharitonov and sushinky do not play w malkin in magnitogorsk. they play for dynamo moscow. kharitonov is terrible, if they put ovechkin on that line it would be really be something. malkin's assist today was gorgeous. he can dominate play at times, amazing player.

Ok, well I could have sworn I heard the annoucers during the game say that kharitonov and sushinky play with malkin in magnitorosk. But if that's not the case, then I guess I heard wrong.... perhaps they said that both of them play in the RSL with Malkin... that was probably what was said. Sorry. :oops:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:16 pm

I think I was thinking of Kudermetov, who played with Malkin last year. Not sure about this year.

My mistake. :oops:
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:38 pm

After watching Russia's game today and ifnally seeing Malkin play with and against some of the best players in the world, I am very impressed. For a guy that finished with 0+1, a +1 and 2 shots he was very noticeable and I think that would have been the case even if I wasn't looking for him.

The assist was a beautiful play - fakes the wrister and fires a laser-like pass that basically creates an open net for his teammate.

Heck, he would be a valuable editon to the Penguins for his ability on the penalty kill alone. I hope to see him in a Pensuins jersey this fall.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DanThePensFan on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:49 am

The assist was amazing. His passing and positioning is better than almost anyone currently on the Pens roster.

My only concern is that he might not be able to handle a full NHL schedule playing even strength, PP, and PK, considering how many penalties the Pens get (which is why he should have been here this season -- building up his endurance).

I'm already dreaming of hearing "Fleury with the save... up to Malkin... head-man to Crosby... heeeeeee shoots and scores!"...
DanThePensFan

Postby BritishPenguin on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 am

Malkin's certainly got the talent. As Dan said, he might at first struggle with the rigours of a full NHL schedule.

Might be worth using him sparingly to get him some experience at the beginning, but we've got a player on our hands. The future certainly looks good for the Penguins.
BritishPenguin

Postby jmh70 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Too bad Malkin is playing with the scrubs. They should have put him with Ovechkin.
jmh70

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:28 pm

jmh70 wrote:Too bad Malkin is playing with the scrubs. They should have put him with Ovechkin.

Does anyone know the logic behind this coaching decision?

It doesn't seem to make much sense in light of comments by nearly everyone that Malkin is as talented as Ovechkin.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Experience. The others have NHL experience, he does not.

If anyone wondered what Malkin looked like, here is his olympics photo:

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/IDF/ATH/100253.html
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

working...still have not seen E Malkin

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Will have to wait for the games over the weekend if the Russians
are being shown. :? Didn't see Sidney till he was full-fledge
penguin & that's working well.

nice to hear Kovy is the captain of the Russians.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: working...still have not seen E Malkin

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:04 pm

penny lane wrote:Will have to wait for the games over the weekend if the Russians
are being shown. :? Didn't see Sidney till he was full-fledge
penguin & that's working well.

nice to hear Kovy is the captain of the Russians.

Get up early tomorrow. I believe Russia-Kazahkstan starts at 5am Saturday morning. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:22 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Experience. The others have NHL experience, he does not. l

Hmmmmm... I would think the experience on the larger Ice surface in the Super league would count for something.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins