Official GDT - Penguins @ Kings - 11/1

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby yeltzen on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:06 am

ziggystardust wrote:What happened to Melichar?

He's like.... playing smart with the puck now.
All season, hes been taking that extra split second to turn the puck over to this forehand, instead of trying to clear it on the backhand - like freaking Scuds and Whitney routinely try to do - He's been skating with the puck... I don't get it.

He's been a DAMN good defenseman this year. Its a shame he's paired with that pile of crap Whitney. Whitney can neither defend nor move the puck out of his own end. He shouldn't be on an NHL roster.

I hope you and Joe use protection.
yeltzen

Postby jmh470 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 am

Rob Scuderi seems to have hurt MAF.

Have I mentioned recently how much I hate Rob Scuderi?
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 am

Man we really needed to convert one of those power plays in the first period... i knew when they didnt it wasnt going to work out good.... still time, but the penguins seem out of sync. And the Kings are flying tonight.

That wrister that beat fleury was pretty weak. It was a perfectly placed shot, but you could just tell it caught him off guard.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 am

ziggystardust wrote:
yeltzen wrote:Whitney is making a case for the Norris tonight.

HAHHAHAHA

His suckitude shocks me each and every game

Well, at least he provides you with entertainment value right?
NIN

Postby Fast B on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:08 am

DelPen wrote:No crap he played in Nashville which meant he also played at LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, Vancouver, Edmonton, Colorado and Calgary too for a whole bunch of games.

True. But he's been in Pittsburgh for months, which means his body has likely gotten used to Eastern time. Your body doesn't "remember" that you spent a lot of time in other time zones if it was more than a few days prior, so if the rest of the guys are feeling jetlagged, he probably is as well.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:09 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Man we really needed to convert one of those power plays in the first period... i knew when they didnt it wasnt going to work out good.... still time, but the penguins seem out of sync. And the Kings are flying tonight.

That wrister that beat fleury was pretty weak. It was a perfectly placed shot, but you could just tell it caught him off guard.

It looked like Gonchar ramped it for him. Marc-Andre was set for the low shot but Gonchar set his stick out to "blocked" it and it ramped up the tilt of the blade ocer his shoulder. It was long enough range where he could have stopped it if he would have stayed up longer. His timming is alittle off today, too mcuh candy I spose'.
NIN

Postby eberhard on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 am

Malkin needs some Breathe Rite (tm) strips so he can breathe through his nose. Once he does he will be unstoppable. :shock: :)

On a serious note, for a casebook example of leadership look no further than Crosby's play in the second period.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 am

ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
yeltzen wrote:Whitney is making a case for the Norris tonight.

HAHHAHAHA

His suckitude shocks me each and every game

Well, at least he provides you with entertainment value right?

hehe yep, i laugh and scream.

he makes the games fun.

See, you just said something positive about Whit!. That was'nt so bad was it?
NIN

Postby Jesse on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 am

NIN wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Man we really needed to convert one of those power plays in the first period... i knew when they didnt it wasnt going to work out good.... still time, but the penguins seem out of sync. And the Kings are flying tonight.

It looked like Gonchar ramped it for him. Marc-Andre was set for the low shot but Gonchar set his stick out to "blocked" it and it ramped up the tilt of the blade ocer his shoulder. It was long enough range where he could have stopped it if he would have stayed up longer. His timming is alittle off today, too mcuh candy I spose'.

I dunno. I see what you're saying but give credit to Brown, Fleury was on top of the crease and in position and that wrister flat out smoked him. That was one of those cases where that shot will probably beat any goalie.

All I know is Cloutier looks bad. The Pens need to get cycling again and slow this game back down.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:13 am

ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:

that goal would have never happened if Gonchar knew how to play angles.

Not so much angles as it was gap controll. Gonchar has horrible reverse acceleration and he knows it, so he cheats back and gives up too much ice.
Last edited by NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NIN

Postby Stoosh on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 am

Joe was a solid defenseman last year. A sound four or five guy.
this year he's been nothing short of a great second pairing defenseman. Hell, he's playing with whitney and he's a freaking plus!

I said this last year and I'll stand by it. Melichar is a solid five-six. If he has to play anything higher than that (like a second pairing) for an extended period of time (say, through December), this team's blueline is in trouble.

They need Oprik back there with Whitney and they need Melichar on the third pairing.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 am

Jesse wrote:
NIN wrote:

I dunno. I see what you're saying but give credit to Brown, Fleury was on top of the crease and in position and that wrister flat out smoked him. That was one of those cases where that shot will probably beat any goalie.

All I know is Cloutier looks bad. The Pens need to get cycling again and slow this game back down.

Besides Colby, the wings just haven't been aggressive enough on the forecheck. And Whitney going up against the top pairing isn't going to be succesful every shift. Ruutu, Thorburn, Ekman and Leclair need to start banging some more.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 68forever on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:15 am

comcast is streaming the kings feed and i don't know who their announcers are but the one has a thing with all the guys butts, he keeps talking about Sids and esp. the kings Blake about big their butts are and how well they use them for diff. things in a game. WHYYYYY :lol:
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:15 am

Jesse wrote:
NIN wrote:

F-Brown, he got lucky.
NIN

Postby eberhard on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:15 am

By the way, when will Malkin's heralded two-way play and physical toughness arrive? He looks like Jagr in his end, not the take-the-body type I have seen described here.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:15 am

WE NEED TO RALLEY!!!
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:15 am

I just heard on the Kings feed that they are going to retire Robitaille's jersey... thats cool I was always a fan of lucky luc
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 am

eberhard wrote:By the way, when will Malkin's heralded two-way play and physical toughness arrive? He looks like Jagr in his end, not the take-the-body type I have seen described here.

Wings don't go down in the slot, he's playing the point and boards like a wing should. As long as he's playing LW you won't see the two-way center play.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eberhard on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 am

Blame the whiskey for the random posts, but no one is better on the Penguins with the old stick-lift check than Jordan Staal. He makes the most of that one.

COME ON PENS WTF
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yeltzen on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 am

eberhard wrote:By the way, when will Malkin's heralded two-way play and physical toughness arrive? He looks like Jagr in his end, not the take-the-body type I have seen described here.

I agree, but he's also playing a position he's not used to.
yeltzen

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 am

His play without the puck has improved alittle bit but I don't think he understands the system completely. Besides that, he is not playing his postition. Besides that, he just got his shoulder dislocated. besdies that he does'nt speak the language. Besides that he is 20. Besides that...he will be fine. Trust me, he is a SOLID player without the puck.
NIN

Postby eberhard on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:19 am

Good points by both of you. I'm down with 71, have no fear.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:21 am

His play without the puck has improved alittle bit but I don't think he understands the system completely. Besides that, he is not playing his postition. Besides that, he just got his shoulder dislocated. besdies that he does'nt speak the language. Besides that he is 20. Besides that...he will be fine. Trust me, he is a SOLID player without the puck.

Crosby even acknowledged this earlier this week. He said Malkin may be a little behind on things because of his time off and the language barrier. As Sid alluded in the article, just wait and see what happens as they learn to communicate better on the ice.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:21 am

Therrian looks pissed.
NIN

Postby eberhard on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:24 am

Marc Andre keeping us in the game...
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext