Biggest change of watching the early season

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Biggest change of watching the early season

Postby MWB on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:45 am

When the Pens give up the first goal it's no longer a given that they will lose. Or, if they have a lead and lose it, it's no longer a given that they will lose. Last year when either of these things happened it was, "Here we go again, another long night." It's such a huge change not feeling completely deflated watching them give up a lead, and great watching them retake the lead.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:09 pm

Marc-Andre Fleury being able to turn aside an early goal and settle
down and make the 2nd/3rd saves has been great to watch.
You can see Fleury being resolved in making the saves. He's
growing up and becoming serious in his play.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Biggest change of watching the early season

Postby Corban87 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:27 pm

MWB wrote:When the Pens give up the first goal it's no longer a given that they will lose. Or, if they have a lead and lose it, it's no longer a given that they will lose. Last year when either of these things happened it was, "Here we go again, another long night." It's such a huge change not feeling completely deflated watching them give up a lead, and great watching them retake the lead.

Such a nice thing! I was just talking about that to a fellow co-worker.
Corban87

Postby Defence21 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Excellent point. And while its possible that Mario's "zero-effort" leadership may have been the problem in recent years, I highly doubt it was the priamry issue -- afterall, he rarely played the majority of a season, let alone half of it since his return. The more liekly reason, in my opinion, is that the team has motivation and confidence from the top, meaning Ray Shero.

He has brought in capable players, energy players, and player looking to porve themselves. It also doesn't hurt that they actually have a few extremely talented young forwards who are young out out to prove themselves as two of the best in the game.

I'll tell you what, I haven't been this excited to watch a stretch of Penguins games in a long time. Regardless of their opponent, there's always a feeling that they can win -- and if they don't, they'll at least try until the game ends.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Biggest change of watching the early season

Postby MWB on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:24 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
MWB wrote:When the Pens give up the first goal it's no longer a given that they will lose. Or, if they have a lead and lose it, it's no longer a given that they will lose. Last year when either of these things happened it was, "Here we go again, another long night." It's such a huge change not feeling completely deflated watching them give up a lead, and great watching them retake the lead.

Because it is clearly Sid's team now, the zero effort leader Mario is out of the picture

Awesome! That's just what I wanted, this to turn into a Mario-bashing thread. Mission accomplished.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins