people knocking colby armstrong

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

people knocking colby armstrong

Postby Rohit on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:42 pm

let me start out by saying that i think colby is a 3rd line player. yes he showed chemistry with sid and a scoring touch, but i think his style of play makes him an IDEAL 3rd liner with capabilities of filling the top lines if needed due to injury or something. THAT BEING SAID, i think he is doing fine on the top line and here is my reasoning why:

people are complaining about how colby isnt finishing and they think the pens need a legitamate (sp?) scoring winger for that line. This would make sense seeing as you would think that with playmaker crosby and playmaker AND finisher malkin, you would want another player on the wing who could finish. however, sid and malkin are in a league of their own and they dont have a typical center/winger dynamic. this is why colby works on that line. both sid and malkin can make plays and both sid and malkin can finish (both have more goals than ovy). how does colby help? he just creates chaos, he plays with such heart that he opens space for the two brilliant players that need very little space to work with. case and point was malkin's first goal from last night. i posted this in another therad, but colby took out his man along the boards allowing crosby to cradle the puck and dish it off to malkin, and you know the rest. but even though colby didnt get a point on the play, without him, there is no goal.

i was talking to a friend of mine, telling him that i want colby to find his game because i really like him, and my friend looks at me and says "playing with sid and malkin, all he has to do is not screw up." while this may sound like a copout to some people, i think it makes sense. colby is helping that line even if his point totals dont show it.
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:55 pm

Armstrong is good enough to be included in a trade for Martin St. Louis - that would be sweet.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby conforto45 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:02 pm

Maestro wrote:Armstrong is good enough to be included in a trade for Martin St. Louis - that would be sweet.

Spectors has been talking about St. Louis on the block for the past few days. that would be such a kick @$$ move, but he would want way too much money

but for the sake of thinking about it...

we could have the fastest top line in the NHL. St. Louis, Crosby, Malkin

that has potential to be 300 points on 1 line.
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby psubar12 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Armstrong just wasn't in the right position time after time though last night. I was getting frusrated watching it and Therrien obviously saw the same thing because Colby was off that line in the third. It's tough to rely on Oullette on that first line though because he just doesn't have the speed to keep up with Malkin and Crosby. I agree that Colby is great along the boards backchecking and forechecking, but that sounds like a description of a good third-liner. The Pens need a sniper who can find open ice (shouldn't be hard on a line with Crosby and Malkin) and put pucks in the net.
psubar12

Postby Schmidt1989 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:36 pm

conforto45 wrote:
Maestro wrote:Armstrong is good enough to be included in a trade for Martin St. Louis - that would be sweet.

Spectors has been talking about St. Louis on the block for the past few days. that would be such a kick @$$ move, but he would want way too much money

but for the sake of thinking about it...

we could have the fastest top line in the NHL. St. Louis, Crosby, Malkin

that has potential to be 300 points on 1 line.

I'm drooling.... lol. No, i think Colby stays on the first lin and protects our stars. hes a fighter and hes a hitter, a 3rd line quality, but protecting our stars is what hes out there for the most. He needs to score, but hes a +7, so hes doing something good.
Schmidt1989

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:50 pm

He's the best fit in organization to play on the RW spot. Ekman could probably do it too but he's needed for the 2nd line. If they want to replace Colby on the 1st line they need to bring in a player form outside the organization, otherwise it hurts the team not having a guy who's good defensively, will take the body, grind in the corners and knows how to play hockey on that 1st line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins