SCP20 Game 3 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

SCP20 Game 3 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am

Pens lose 4-3

- A tough loss to stomach after being up 3-1 and in control. Plenty of blame to go all around and some credit to MTL
- Credit MTL with the old pens trick (BEND BUT DON'T BREAK). They hung around and kept poking, when an opportunity appeared, they got in there.
- ZAR's retaliatory penalty was the last mistake of the game. The hit on him should have been called, but that's playoff hockey
- Kudo's to Petry on the shot, some will blame Murray but that was a seeing eye shot, Pens have had plenty of those to know one when you see it
- How about that power play! 2/2 to start the game and that slap pass to Horny has been my favorite play so far this playoffs
- Horny was banged up a number of times in this game, including on his goal. His goal cele was undertaken in pain....man, he's a warrior!
- Pretty much every Pens D seemed to have issues at points last night. Would you bring in a rusty Riikolla at this point? Not sure I would, but they need to be better
- Habs were chirping Sid at the end of the game. Sid is going to be fired up for his birthday game on Friday afternoon
- Bad call on the goal challenge (Is Andy Saucier able to advise team remotely?) MM was clearly out of his crease, it should not have challenged

- I picked the PENS IN FIVE, thinking the hockey would be sloppy and mistake ridden, Pens systems not fully ingrained in players heads, poor reffing, ice and finally the Carey Price factor. I was wrong in many of those assumptions, but here we are. I think Sid is going to get them to a game 5, but one game at a time. Game 4 on Friday afternoon, Sid's bday!

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP20 Game 3 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:17 am

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scpensfan on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 am

I've watched a LOT of hockey the last week. I honestly can't say there is one bubble team I'm confident the Pens could beat in a series right now. I'm feeling pretty stupid for thinking the Pens had a championship run in them.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:45 am

If they dress Marleau, they are saying his status in the league is more important than helping the team. He is not helping ~ not invested currently. This isn't the time to stand pat Coach Sullivan.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 am

There are no words to properly describe my thoughts for that train wreck last night. Up 3-1 and they let the Habs score 3 unanswered goals. They have no heart or desire and I would prefer they didn't go any farther that this round if what they played last night is all they're capable of. Dare I say Sully has lost the team ?
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:10 am

I don't think Sully has lost the team. If you want to point blame to him, it is much easier to pick apart his terrible line-up decisions. JJ is an unbelievable disaster. The one goal starts with his screw-up in the o-zone, the other, his lead footed play in the D zone. Marleau is a slow minor leaguer taking the spot of a legitimate NHL level guy. Blueger and Tanev need to move up with Horny for a decent 3rd line. Lafferty/McCann/ZAR or someone else on the 4th line.

Dumo continues to look like a bad version of his former self and is no longer a top option for the good jobs of PK and PP so why is he on the 1st line D?

Like the Isles last year, don't be fooled, this is not a good Montreal team. They have nothing and certainly can't match the skill guys the Pens have. Speaking of that, will Geno get shut-out and once again prove he is getting up there in years? He reminds me of that girl you dated in high school years ago but haven't seen in a long time. Sure, you remember her as pretty, but if you took a good look at her now...
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby E-Ramone on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:21 am

I think one of the few drawbacks to being fans of a team that's had so much success in the last decade is that we know what a true championship team looks like and plays like. Unfortunately, I really don't think this team is that. Even if they pull it together and get past Montreal, it just doesn't seem like they're going to go much further given how shaky they've looked going back a season or two now. Might be time for a hard look in the mirror if this doesn't turn around and fast.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 am

"C'mon guys, one game at a time. Everyone one of you can be better, just a little bit and it will make a difference."

That's not head coach Sully talking to his team, that's me telling you bunch of debbie downers that while things do not look good, there is still hope!

And even if they lose, let's not forget #PensDraftLafreniere
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Blowing a 3-1 lead is bad enough, but the performance in the 3rd was very concerning of just what this team is made of. They looked old and slow prior to the 4th goal and after. Every loose puck was the Habs and every board battle was won by the Habs. While the Habs were hustling and executing, the Pens looked like they simply didn't have the legs to mount a comeback. MTL came out to start the game uptempo and definitely were wanting a quicker pace throughout the game and Pens looked like they ran out of gas well before the last 2:50+ where the same 5 were out on the ice.

The blueline had an overall horrid game. Schultz was really bad, JJ worse, Dumo looks like he gets for 5-10 game stretches periodically that he's very sub-par, Pettersson a nothing, and Marino with a rare bad game for him. Letang was the best of the bunch and that was more from not blundering around like the rest of the d-corps instead of a positive impact. He's not the anchor dragging down the top d pairing this series.

4th goal was a seeing eye shot and also one that should be stopped 99/100 with simple positioning and MM had plenty of time to get set. I don't have a problem with any of the other 3 but that was a very bad time to allow a goal like that when you could tell the team was struggling to keep up with MTL already in the 3rd.

Winning 2 in a row is hardly a feat, but it IS time to get desperate and it's time for Sullivan to make some decisive moves or watch his job disappear. Jarry over Murray and Riikola over JJ are no-brainers. Marleau benched wouldn't raise eyebrows. Benching Schultz and having Chad-Riikola as a bottom pairing D couldn't be worse than the horrid bottom pairing the Habs deploy in Mettis-Evans. Get some hungry players on the ice because some energy is needed and status quo is not working.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Pens and playoff hockey can be very very frustrating. They should have won this game obviously, but maybe they can use this as a learning experience and realize they actually have to play 60 minutes in the playoffs!

Novel idea! Let’s go already. They know what they have to do. They just have to actually do it !

No more JJ. Can’t afford his mistakes come playoff time.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:53 am

brwi wrote: Jarry over Murray and Riikola over JJ are no-brainers.

Is Jarry really a no-brainer? He has played half a game in 4 months while Murray is up to speed, and just throw in in an elimination game? Murray did well in game 2, OK in this game except for the 4th goal. I would have liked to see Jarry start the series, but now, I am not so sure its a slam-dunk to put him in the net! Interesting decision for Sullivan, fascinating to see what he does.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:59 am

Just realized that Pens have the Longest NHL current playoff streak of 14 seasons. I assume another loss in this series ends that streak. Next longest is the Caps and Predators at 6.

Two goals after Montreal power play expires with Marleau and Johnson on the ice. That’s bench management.

Goal 4 is bad luck on Murray ,but that third goal . Ugh.

Boy that Hamilton for Murray rumored trade looks like a huge opportunity lost.

If I wasn’t so bored I wouldn’t care, but there is nothing else to do. So a 12.5% chance of number 1 pick, or a date in the first round with Tom Wilson or Brad Marchand.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:10 am

Team is 1-8 in the last 9 playoff games. Changes need made quickly. Sheary is a one trick pony really. Half the defensemen are a liability anymore. Marleau, as much as I like the player and hope he gets a ring, isn't contributing at all. I'd expect more from Malkin as well. The fourth goal, yuck.

Jusso/Ruh can't be worse. At least they would keep it simple. Lafferty should stay in the lineup. His speed and energy was noticeable. I'd expect that Rodriguez could also do the same in place of one of the passengers currently dressed. McCann getting scratched should light a little fire. They better bring it next game, do some cycling and get dirty and in the face of Price. Can't keep going for scores off the rush and from the outside.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am

Lesky wrote:
brwi wrote: Jarry over Murray and Riikola over JJ are no-brainers.

Is Jarry really a no-brainer? He has played half a game in 4 months while Murray is up to speed, and just throw in in an elimination game? Murray did well in game 2, OK in this game except for the 4th goal. I would have liked to see Jarry start the series, but now, I am not so sure its a slam-dunk to put him in the net! Interesting decision for Sullivan, fascinating to see what he does.

I can see the rationale for sticking with Murray and I'm a fan of his but I think you send a message to the team along with other line up changes that it's time for desperation and take the risk that Jarry may melt down. For all the vets with serious Cup experience, this group hasn't been handling adversity well since the last Cup win. Complacency gets used a lot and they may need a jolt to take the compete level up.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Weegie on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38 am

That was very disheartening to watch but not really that surprising, this is not the Pens team of old that once they got a lead on a team they could shut them down and win the game. In the Cup years a few years ago they had some young players step up and score big goals and be pleasant surprises like Sheary, Rust, Jake...but you don't have anyone like that now, Zucker is putting some in but not much more. Geno just doesn't have it, Sid is battling and doing his best, a few others are showing some signs of life but they don't dominate teams anymore for the whole game, they sucker you in and you start to get excited and you think "this is it, they're rolling now", only to fold like they did last night. I think we'd all be shocked if they roared back and showed the greatness they once had, but I keep hearing the lyrics to Bruce Springsteen's song when he sang:

"Glory days, well they'll pass you by....glory days, in the wink of a young girls eye, glory days, glory daaaaayyyyyssssss...."

I think the glory days for this team were a few years ago, they just are missing something and I don't think they'll get it back with this team, but I would HAPPILY eat crow if I was wrong!!!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:52 am

Win tomorrow ~ start there!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RentedMule66 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:52 am

Weegie wrote:That was very disheartening to watch but not really that surprising, this is not the Pens team of old that once they got a lead on a team they could shut them down and win the game. In the Cup years a few years ago they had some young players step up and score big goals and be pleasant surprises like Sheary, Rust, Jake...but you don't have anyone like that now, Zucker is putting some in but not much more. Geno just doesn't have it, Sid is battling and doing his best, a few others are showing some signs of life but they don't dominate teams anymore for the whole game, they sucker you in and you start to get excited and you think "this is it, they're rolling now", only to fold like they did last night. I think we'd all be shocked if they roared back and showed the greatness they once had, but I keep hearing the lyrics to Bruce Springsteen's song when he sang:

"Glory days, well they'll pass you by....glory days, in the wink of a young girls eye, glory days, glory daaaaayyyyyssssss...."

I think the glory days for this team were a few years ago, they just are missing something and I don't think they'll get it back with this team, but I would HAPPILY eat crow if I was wrong!!!

You're not wrong.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:24 am

penny lane wrote:Win tomorrow ~ start there!

To quote RM66.... You're not wrong.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:10 pm

After watching some of the other games, the Pens defensive zone awareness and coverage is severely lacking. I see other teams attacking the point men, cutting off passing lanes and manning up in front of the net. Each guy stays on his man and there is little room to create a play. The Pens on the other hand scare me every time the other team enters the zone because you know someone is going to be left unprotected at some point in the shift.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:14 pm

sjnhiils wrote:After watching some of the other games, the Pens defensive zone awareness and coverage is severely lacking. I see other teams attacking the point men, cutting off passing lanes and manning up in front of the net. Each guy stays on his man and there is little room to create a play. The Pens on the other hand scare me every time the other team enters the zone because you know someone is going to be left unprotected at some point in the shift.

Yeah, I thought the Pens were actually "getting to their game" offensively last night (except for that useless 3rd line), but the coverage in the defensive zone is so so bad right now. Montreal doesn't have to have a ton of zone time, since it seems like almost every time they gain the zone and establish possession, they get a decent chance out of it.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 pm

penny lane wrote:If they dress Marleau, they are saying his status in the league is more important than helping the team. He is not helping ~ not invested currently. This isn't the time to stand pat Coach Sullivan.

I like the way you said it.... and it describes how i feel exactly.

Marleau is "not invested" in playing right now for the Pittsburgh Penguins. I am not sure if it is the Covid situation, being away from his family, or the Penguins organization but this guy is just not mentally checked in right now to playing hockey.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Jack Johnson needs to sit.

If they do lose, the beginning effort to clear dead wood can begin: and Pens have a 12.5% chance at obtaining #1 overall pick.
That pick will help obtain 6th cup more than winning next 2 games will.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:21 pm

- I have to admit, I may have been wrong about this team getting it together. :oops: That game was truly depressing.
- Pens were dramatically out-worked in the corners and on the boards. They just weren't willing to go in there and come out with the puck.
- I loved the PP early on. 2-for-2. Later in the game, I noticed MTL pressuring the Pens point men, even on the PP. The Pens don't have much space to work with.
- Give Julien his due. He's getting the most out of his players.
- Geno? :face: :face: Right now I would seriously consider trading him.
- Schultz and Dumo? Sheesh!!! :face: None of the D-men except Marino and to a lesser extent Letang showed up.
- HCMS & staff looked confused at the end of the game. There seemed some confusing about pulling / not pulling Murray with that much time left and on PP (no icing)? What did you all think about that?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:22 pm

I'm a lot more excited about a 1 in 8 chance of the top pick than i am about losing in the next round.

What happens if we don't win it? Anyone know how the draft position for us would be determined?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Antonio wrote:I'm a lot more excited about a 1 in 8 chance of the top pick than i am about losing in the next round.

What happens if we don't win it? Anyone know how the draft position for us would be determined?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if we don't win it, we get kicked back to 15, since we'd have the highest point total of the eliminated teams.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins