SCP20 Game 3 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: SCP20 Game 3 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Ericf on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:06 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Ericf wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:Trading Geno for RNH is an abomination of a trade. Geno had 1.35 points/game this past year, fifth best in the NHL. The only thing RNH does is play more games a year than Geno. That’s not a good trade for the Pens. Any trade that’s not for a top young center is not a good trade for the Pens. He’s still a better center than all but a handful of players. Just because he can’t get a shot past Price, who’s in his head, and has lost confidence in his scoring is no reason to trade him.Yeesh. Letang has played pretty well compared to most of our other D men. Only Marino has arguably played better on our team. But yes, let’s throw him out too for a crappy return. It’s not happening. Sullivan on the other hand needs to go. Just terrible coaching decisions and he’s been outcoached by Trotz and now Julien the last three years

It was an example....relax. and, players like Rusty and Zucker and Hornqvist need to play well. Sid and Geno and Letang need to produce on the score board. They are the core. They are who the team is built around. They make around 25m between the 3 of them. They cant just play well. They need to be the main force, with others contributing.

You can be disappointed with their play. They’ve all clearly declined. But we’re not going to be able to replace them with McDavid and Drai etc. Anyone we could realistically replace with them with will not be better over the next two years. It’s unfortunate but that’s what happens when great players get old and you’re still paying them. The Pens are going to be at the bottom of the Metro and hopefully we get good enough draft positions and good enough scouting to pick up our next leaders. The cycle of life

So if they do lose this series, and they don't win the overall first selection, if you're Rutherford are you keeping the 15rh overall this year, and give next years first round pick to Minnesota? If they do clean some house after this season, next year's finish could be worse resulting in a higher pick in 2021?

I mean Rutherford probably would be nice and give the pick to Guerin, lol. There is an argument you guys are making that being stuck with Geno and Letang is just going to make us worse next year, which if true, means we’d have a higher pick than 15 in 2021. However, that player has one less year of helping the Pens. IMO, the Pens should trade Murray and try to get late first or early second round pick for him. If they can do that, then they can package that pick and #15 pick and move up in the draft this year. That’s what I would do. They can also try to flip the #15 pick for a young player they like on another team who maybe has fallen out of favor. But the general idea is that the Pens need to be playing young players around Sid and G. I wasn’t in favor of trading for Zucker at age 28 with another 4 years in his contract for just that reason. Sid and G will still remain very very good players. They just need to be surrounded with more help, players like Jake. They need young legs to do the work in these playoffs that they can’t do, e.g. the hard work around the boards. They should be getting rid of Horny and move late 20s forwards down the lineup. Get young guys like Poulin on the wings of Sid and G
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Durbano on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Penspal wrote:Is there anyone who hasn't given up on this team yet? Outside of Penny and I that is?

I get it, I do, they have under performed etc.

Definitely haven't given up on this series but it's hard to picture them winning the next round (which, based on today's results, would have to be either Boston or Washington, I think).

It's hard for me to fuss too much, just because the circumstances are so bizarre.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Ericf wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:Trading Geno for RNH is an abomination of a trade. Geno had 1.35 points/game this past year, fifth best in the NHL. The only thing RNH does is play more games a year than Geno. That’s not a good trade for the Pens. Any trade that’s not for a top young center is not a good trade for the Pens. He’s still a better center than all but a handful of players. Just because he can’t get a shot past Price, who’s in his head, and has lost confidence in his scoring is no reason to trade him.Yeesh. Letang has played pretty well compared to most of our other D men. Only Marino has arguably played better on our team. But yes, let’s throw him out too for a crappy return. It’s not happening. Sullivan on the other hand needs to go. Just terrible coaching decisions and he’s been outcoached by Trotz and now Julien the last three years

It was an example....relax. and, players like Rusty and Zucker and Hornqvist need to play well. Sid and Geno and Letang need to produce on the score board. They are the core. They are who the team is built around. They make around 25m between the 3 of them. They cant just play well. They need to be the main force, with others contributing.

You can be disappointed with their play. They’ve all clearly declined. But we’re not going to be able to replace them with McDavid and Drai etc. Anyone we could realistically replace with them with will not be better over the next two years. It’s unfortunate but that’s what happens when great players get old and you’re still paying them. The Pens are going to be at the bottom of the Metro and hopefully we get good enough draft positions and good enough scouting to pick up our next leaders. The cycle of life

So if they do lose this series, and they don't win the overall first selection, if you're Rutherford are you keeping the 15rh overall this year, and give next years first round pick to Minnesota? If they do clean some house after this season, next year's finish could be worse resulting in a higher pick in 2021?

If the Pens lose to the Canadiens im pretty sure they automatically keep the 2020 1st and Wild get the 2021 1st.

If the Penguins miss the playoffs they have the option to send their 2021 1st round pick to Minnesota, it doesn't mean they have to exercise that option.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm

You're correct. If they lose to the Canadiens id keep the 2020 1st. This team is still a playoff team in 2021.

Revamp the 3rd line and bottom pairing, get an asset for Murray and a little luck lands us Lafreniere this team can definitely be a contender next season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 pm

If this qualifying round isnt considered the playoffs, why are they counting Sid's points as if they were?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RentedMule66 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 pm

I'm not sure what team would trade a "top young center" for an aging, declining star?
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 am

Game 4 is today. Blowing lead, choking, and losing Game 3 were epic fails. The Penguins have clear choices. Will they make it a great day for hockey by winning Game 4, or will they make it a great day to go to hell with another loss that would end the 2019-2020 season?
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:If this qualifying round isnt considered the playoffs, why are they counting Sid's points as if they were?

I've been wondering that all week. I see lots of guys making their playoff debut or scoring their first playoff goal, during a series where they need to win to make the playoffs. I suspect the league has ruled that this round counts as the playoffs for statistical purposes and that the announcers are slightly mis-phrasing their statements. However, I've never seen that confirmed.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:43 am

Durbano wrote:
Penspal wrote:Is there anyone who hasn't given up on this team yet? Outside of Penny and I that is?

Definitely haven't given up on this series but it's hard to picture them winning the next round (which, based on today's results, would have to be either Boston or Washington, I think).

It's hard for me to fuss too much, just because the circumstances are so bizarre.

In a normal format, I wouldn't have much hope. The pens need to win 2 to stay alive, and then will face a team where they look overmatched. However, given the strange feel to it, if we could steal this series we'd be playing a team that hasn't played a high stakes game in a long time in an empty barn. That's a recipe for an upset. By that point every team might look different.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Durbano wrote:

In a normal format, I wouldn't have much hope. The pens need to win 2 to stay alive, and then will face a team where they look overmatched. However, given the strange feel to it, if we could steal this series we'd be playing a team that hasn't played a high stakes game in a long time in an empty barn. That's a recipe for an upset. By that point every team might look different.

Agreed. Most likely would draw Boston who would have played three lackluster games. Bruins may not have a switch to turn on. Might be a very gross series. Teams I wouldn’t want to play right now are Carolina and the Flyers and maybe Tampa.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am

I think until you lose that 4th game in a series (3rd game in this case) a series is never over. The Pens could easily come out today after a poor performance and play best game of the series and tie this up 2-2. If that happens than all bets are off for the game less than 24 hours later.

For me personally it is fun to think about possibly getting Alex L but to be realistic it is a 12.5% chance and lets be honest we got that luck when we got Sid...idk if lightning will strike twice. If it does well many cups to come! Reality of today though in all seriousness for me is the moment I see the lineup card. If we make no changes to our lineup than that sends signal to me that this team is just rolling over and dying. I would expect to see Marleau out and MCann back in but on wing with Laffy and Horny (this line becomes line 4 too). Jarry for Murray. Not necessarily blaming any game on Murray but I think you need to inject vigor into this team. The only other change I wish would happen but we all know it won't is Rhuwedel for JJ.

On a lighter note, I feel for Rhuwedel so much. The kid out plays JJ and Schultz but yet he sits. If it is because of contract than that is stupid. You play and dress the best 23 to win the game. Feelings go out the window and its not like we are bringing JJ and Schultz back next year so yeah.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:08 am

It is a very odd feeling I get with the way this playoff format is coming together. I truly do feel if the Pens can somehow make up their mistakes and win next two against Montreal I think they have a insane chance to win this thing.

Lets just say we win today and tomorrow. We than go play Bruins who have not had to play any intense games as of yet and we take advantage and win game 1. I think from there with a game up on Boston you can beat them. From there who knows.

Southern Fan wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:
Durbano wrote:

Agreed. Most likely would draw Boston who would have played three lackluster games. Bruins may not have a switch to turn on. Might be a very gross series. Teams I wouldn’t want to play right now are Carolina and the Flyers and maybe Tampa.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 am

Game one is the one that stings. I think we were the much better team in that game, and Price kept MTL alive long enough for them to get their legs. We deserved to lose game 3, but if we were up 2-1 it wouldn't matter as much.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 am

The ice was not a factor in game 3, but it will be interesting to see if a better sheet of ice at 4:00 PM will be a factor. Might help the second line, but also hurts are bottom three defensemen.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:01 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:In a normal format, I wouldn't have much hope. The pens need to win 2 to stay alive, and then will face a team where they look overmatched. However, given the strange feel to it, if we could steal this series we'd be playing a team that hasn't played a high stakes game in a long time in an empty barn. That's a recipe for an upset. By that point every team might look different.

Well put. If the Pens win this series, I think they play the loser of Sunday's game between Washington and Boston.

Jarry has been announced as today's starter.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am

Your 1st playoff game is an elimination game.

Get in there kid, nothing to be nervous about.....
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am

Mario Lemieux
@MarioLemieuxFdn
2h
Happy birthday kid. You know what to do when we have our backs against the wall. #LetsGoPens

Mario ~ fingers crossed, with another tweet to inspire!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:40 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Your 1st playoff game is an elimination game.

Get in there kid, nothing to be nervous about.....

Hopefully that’s not the only lineup change!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm

I hate to quote hockeybuzz, but:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=106811

"Matt Murray had an on-ice save percentage of .750 with Jack Johnson on the ice at 5v5 this series. He had 15 saves in 20 shots. Without Jack Johnson on the ice at 5v5 he stopped 56 out of the 59 shots (.949)."
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Durbano wrote:

I am confident they will win tonight, but not confident that they will win two in a row.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Steve wrote:I hate to quote hockeybuzz, but:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=106811

"Matt Murray had an on-ice save percentage of .750 with Jack Johnson on the ice at 5v5 this series. He had 15 saves in 20 shots. Without Jack Johnson on the ice at 5v5 he stopped 56 out of the 59 shots (.949)."

There’s no reason for JJ to be in the lineup. It’s also not like we have another John Marino to replace him with. Riikola? Sully has never trusted him. Ruhwedel? I mean I guess he’s better but we are not blessed with great d depth.

Hopefully next season POJ makes the team and pushes JJ out of the lineup or off the team.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:43 pm

No changes to the blue line tonight.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins