Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

BLOW IT UP

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

BLOW IT UP

Postby scpensfan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:21 pm

It’s time. Back-to-back garbage postseason efforts. Time to clean house.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: BLOW IT UP

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:43 pm

I was a strong proponent of Rutherford until the last season+. I am open to him being replaced.

I have been very vocal about the coaching situation needing overhauled. Especially the head coach, but also Gonchar and Recchi, basically everyone. I was vocal about Bales being let go for Buckley and was openly mocked for it... I stand by it.

Players, the only players that I am not openly entertaining offers for are Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Dumoulin, Marino, Poulin, Legare, Joseph.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:47 pm

Jim wrote:I was a strong proponent of Rutherford until the last season+. I am open to him being replaced.

I have been very vocal about the coaching situation needing overhauled. Especially the head coach, but also Gonchar and Recchi, basically everyone. I was vocal about Bales being let go for Buckley and was openly mocked for it... I stand by it.

Players, the only players that I am not openly entertaining offers for are Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Dumoulin, Marino, Poulin, Legare, Joseph.

I agree with you. I think the Pens should consider a pretty strong overhaul of the team, and not trying to build in what's there already. I think that big of a change in direction may warrant a different GM. Not sure if Rutherford is the guy for that.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby battleship kelly on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:50 pm

malkin should be gone along with kristofer lertang, should still get a good return. try to sign marleau for a couple more years.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 pm

I agree. A new direction would be best i think. No more Sullivan for sure. For chrissakes it's LONG overdue. I'm fine with a new gm too. Too many idiotic moves. Seems like one obviously moronic move to counter every great one.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:55 pm

By the way Caufield gotta go too...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Funny, I was going to come here and jokingly start a thread with the same topic.

There will be fans all over and on this board who say this is just an overreaction to a loss, but I feel very strongly the window is closed.

- 3 years in a row with disappointing playoff losses. The first year, the "tired" year was somewhat acceptable.

- 2 years in a row that Sullivan has been horribly out coached, first by Trotz and now by Julien. Hats off to Montreal. They played their game and did what they had to do.

- This team is not as fast as it was in the Cup years. It's an easy to see fact. It would also appear the book is out on how to beat the Penguins in the playoffs. Losses will happen, and you accept them when two teams play their games and one wins. Its not acceptable when Pittsburgh hasn't gotten to its game 2 years in a row.

- I see this as a mix of players, coaching, and management that all need an overhaul. PP has been a joke for years. Rutherford is getting in that Carolina groove from the end of his tenure there...more bad moves than good. On the players, I'm sorry but Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Murray have been here for some time....the pieces around them have changed, but the result is the same effort. Should tell you something.

- Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Zucker, Poulin, Doumoulin, POJ, Marino, and Jarry are the guys I would look to keep, with Blueger, Pettersson and Tanev in probably like to keep group. Anyone else....now accepting offers.

- If Sullivan stays and we bring back mainly the same team, you might as well resign yourself to enjoying watching the rest of Sid, Geno, and Letangs years here with annual playoff disappointment until they are gone. I'd prefer not to go the LA and Chicago route. Keep Sid. Geno and Letang fair game for trading.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:02 pm

battleship kelly wrote:try to sign marleau for a couple more years.
WHAT???? He was awful and invisible. Please no.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Jim wrote:By the way Caufield gotta go too...

:thumb:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Wyopen on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, didn’t he just sign a new extension?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:12 pm

No Petterson in the like to keep for the love of god. What does everyone see there? I thought he was average at best from the very beginning and never understood what anyone saw there. I about had an aneurysm with that insane contract he got. To me he's a very subpar 6/7.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13 pm

Wyopen wrote:Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, didn’t he just sign a new extension?

Coach contracts mean less than 0. He can be gone tonight if they want. Which they should.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scpensfan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:15 pm

SO tired about hearing how great they looked in camp. They were playing against themselves. Maybe that’s why they looked so good.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 pm

I do look forward to an offseason full of idiots clamoring to get rid of Crosby and Malkin and blow it all up, as though they were the main problem (and I say that acknowledging that Malkin could have done a lot more this series). Guess those folks really miss the X Generation.

Coaching will have to be looked at real hard though, at a bare minimum. Certainly they have to try and dump Johnson, and maybe look at previous untouchables like Letang.

And what does Mark Recchi even do?
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 pm

FLPensFan wrote:- If Sullivan stays and we bring back mainly the same team, you might as well resign yourself to enjoying watching the rest of Sid, Geno, and Letangs years here with annual playoff disappointment until they are gone. I'd prefer not to go the LA and Chicago route. Keep Sid. Geno and Letang fair game for trading.

That's pretty much it. You either make MAJOR changes to the roster and keep Sullivan or replace Sullivan and carry on with the same basic core. The easy choice is replacing Sullivan, but there's a good chance that if you don't move personnel the end result is going to be what we just witnessed, regardless of coaching staff.

JR is likely just going to feel some heat but probably safe for now. Sullivan's extension maybe buys him another year. Recchi I would surmise is gone no matter what.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens Fans Sweden on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Funny, I was going to come here and jokingly start a thread with the same topic.

There will be fans all over and on this board who say this is just an overreaction to a loss, but I feel very strongly the window is closed.

- 3 years in a row with disappointing playoff losses. The first year, the "tired" year was somewhat acceptable.

- 2 years in a row that Sullivan has been horribly out coached, first by Trotz and now by Julien. Hats off to Montreal. They played their game and did what they had to do.

- This team is not as fast as it was in the Cup years. It's an easy to see fact. It would also appear the book is out on how to beat the Penguins in the playoffs. Losses will happen, and you accept them when two teams play their games and one wins. Its not acceptable when Pittsburgh hasn't gotten to its game 2 years in a row.

- I see this as a mix of players, coaching, and management that all need an overhaul. PP has been a joke for years. Rutherford is getting in that Carolina groove from the end of his tenure there...more bad moves than good. On the players, I'm sorry but Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Murray have been here for some time....the pieces around them have changed, but the result is the same effort. Should tell you something.

- Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Zucker, Poulin, Doumoulin, POJ, Marino, and Jarry are the guys I would look to keep, with Blueger, Pettersson and Tanev in probably like to keep group. Anyone else....now accepting offers.

- If Sullivan stays and we bring back mainly the same team, you might as well resign yourself to enjoying watching the rest of Sid, Geno, and Letangs years here with annual playoff disappointment until they are gone. I'd prefer not to go the LA and Chicago route. Keep Sid. Geno and Letang fair game for trading.

I totally agree with you, my friend. This team need big changes, starting with the front office and coaching staff.

If Letang is still on the team next season, I will opt out of watching Penguins hockey. I have been his biggest basher for years now and I'm just sick of seeing his no brain play leading to another loss for my team. Letang has got **** for brains and now he's losing his skating as well = totally useless. No shot. Can't run a power play and can't complete a simple passing play most of the time. Letang needs to go the most. But I would welcome a trade of Malkin as well. Bust last three years in the playoffs and his attitude goes right up there with Letang.

Guentzel - Crosby - a right handed hard working right winger with some speed
Zucker - Malkin/new second line center - Rust
McCann - new third line center - Hörnqvist
Tanev - Blueger - Rodrigues

Dumoulin - Marino
Pettersson - new right handed defenseman
Joseph - new right handed defenseman

Jarry
DeSmith

I want a no **** kind of coach that can make the hard decisions for the good of the team and current game. Please.

And I want the Penguins to keep their 1st round pick and hit the jackpot at the draft this year (we will not win the lottery again).

Is this to much to ask for, from a very disappointed fan?

=)
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm

brwi wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:- If Sullivan stays and we bring back mainly the same team, you might as well resign yourself to enjoying watching the rest of Sid, Geno, and Letangs years here with annual playoff disappointment until they are gone. I'd prefer not to go the LA and Chicago route. Keep Sid. Geno and Letang fair game for trading.

That's pretty much it. You either make MAJOR changes to the roster and keep Sullivan or replace Sullivan and carry on with the same basic core. The easy choice is replacing Sullivan, but there's a good chance that if you don't move personnel the end result is going to be what we just witnessed, regardless of coaching staff.

JR is likely just going to feel some heat but probably safe for now. Sullivan's extension maybe buys him another year. Recchi I would surmise is gone no matter what.

This is why LA, Detroit, and Chicago fell so hard...they refused to deal aging assets. You cant have all these guys aging being lifelong players on the team. I'm not a Letang hater and for the better part of his career I've been a bigger Malkin fan over Crosby. But, you cant hang on to all three of them and expect to be contenders. The last 3 years should show that, as well as Chicago, Detroit, and LA falls from grace.

I think Sid has the best long-term ability for the team with his style of play. I could still see him at 40 being a great defensive 3C.

Hard decision need to be made, but I see this team taking the easy way out and making choices with their heart/feelings than what is best for running a winning hockey club.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 pm

On the positive side, alot of windows close with 0-1 cups. 3 in 10ish years probably wont be duplicated anytime soon.

Should be an interesting offseason for sure.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Wyopen on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Antonio wrote:
Wyopen wrote:Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, didn’t he just sign a new extension?

Coach contracts mean less than 0. He can be gone tonight if they want. Which they should.

But the management is obligated to pay his salary for the remainder of the contract right? So that’s lost money
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:33 pm

Wyopen wrote:
Antonio wrote:

But the management is obligated to pay his salary for the remainder of the contract right? So that’s lost money

Actually Rutherford should be fired. He put this fiasco together.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:33 pm

If this was a one time event I would chalk it up to Covid.

But being 1-9 in their last 10 playoff games, it’s time for a change.

I would move on from Rutherford and Sully. Shero
Is available :)

Maybe Botteril , Gallant or Laviolette for coach?

I think a veteran coach would be a good move for this team.

Would finally start thinking about moving someone from the real core. Does that ever even happen these days though??
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
brwi wrote:

This is why LA, Detroit, and Chicago fell so hard...they refused to deal aging assets. You cant have all these guys aging being lifelong players on the team. I'm not a Letang hater and for the better part of his career I've been a bigger Malkin fan over Crosby. But, you cant hang on to all three of them and expect to be contenders. The last 3 years should show that, as well as Chicago, Detroit, and LA falls from grace.

I think Sid has the best long-term ability for the team with his style of play. I could still see him at 40 being a great defensive 3C.

Hard decision need to be made, but I see this team taking the easy way out and making choices with their heart/feelings than what is best for running a winning hockey club.

Well said FLP. I agree. Unfortunately they will most likely play the loyalty card and start to slowly get worse as opposed to trying to stay ahead of the curve and make smart hockey trades.

Murray will be gone. Maybe they can get some nice young assets and start from there. Geno has become all talk in the playoffs lately too.

I have no idea what a Malkin trade would even look like! But I would be open to listening to most players on the team.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 pm

Ryan Wilson at hockeybuzz is pushing for Bruce Boudreau and Gallant. Imagine Boudreau!!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Florida also is expected to announce they fired Tallon. Time to make some changes!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:43 pm

Fast B wrote:I do look forward to an offseason full of idiots clamoring to get rid of Crosby and Malkin and blow it all up, as though they were the main problem (and I say that acknowledging that Malkin could have done a lot more this series). Guess those folks really miss the X Generation.

The X Generation at least put in an effort, and results were pretty similar.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins