BLOW IT UP

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: BLOW IT UP

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:44 pm

KG wrote:Ryan Wilson at hockeybuzz is pushing for Bruce Boudreau and Gallant. Imagine Boudreau!!

F Boudreau.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:48 pm

KG wrote:Florida also is expected to announce they fired Tallon. Time to make some changes!

Bob let in the worst goal of the playoffs today in FL's elimination. The Sportsnet studio crew was having a field day about Bob's 7/70mil contract and his poor performance all year and again today. The kind of contract that gets a GM fired.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:50 pm

KG wrote:Ryan Wilson at hockeybuzz is pushing for Bruce Boudreau and Gallant. Imagine Boudreau!!

Hell no Boudreau. Gallant or Lavy would work, but that's not enough if personnel stays basically the same. It may just be what we have to settle for.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Fast B wrote:I do look forward to an offseason full of idiots clamoring to get rid of Crosby and Malkin and blow it all up, as though they were the main problem (and I say that acknowledging that Malkin could have done a lot more this series). Guess those folks really miss the X Generation.

The X Generation at least put in an effort, and results were pretty similar.

Eh, you're not wrong, but effort was all they had. You will never, ever convince me that Sidney f'n Crosby isn't trying.

And don't get me wrong, this team has *major* problems and needs serious changes, but looking at Crosby and Malkin is missing the point, in my opinion. I think Sullivan is on a very hot seat for sure, and maybe even Rutherford at this point, the overall makeup of the team is just bizarre. Again, what in the hell was he thinking giving Jack Johnson that deal?
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm

Antonio wrote:No Petterson in the like to keep for the love of god. What does everyone see there? I thought he was average at best from the very beginning and never understood what anyone saw there. I about had an aneurysm with that insane contract he got. To me he's a very subpar 6/7.

Maatta filled the same role for the same money and they won two cups with him. Everyone wants someone to play top four minutes and pay them peanuts, it would be nice if it actually worked that way.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 pm

brwi wrote:

Hell no Boudreau. Gallant or Lavy would work, but that's not enough if personnel stays basically the same. It may just be what we have to settle for.

I stopped reading when he said Ryan Wilson.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

F Boudreau.

This.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:04 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Antonio wrote:No Petterson in the like to keep for the love of god. What does everyone see there? I thought he was average at best from the very beginning and never understood what anyone saw there. I about had an aneurysm with that insane contract he got. To me he's a very subpar 6/7.

Maatta filled the same role for the same money and they won two cups with him. Everyone wants someone to play top four minutes and pay them peanuts, it would be nice if it actually worked that way.

Difference is Maatta looked a LOT better early on for a while, and frankly really only looked bad when his lack of speed showed. He honestly seemed like two different players from his beginning to when he was moved. Petterson looked mediocre to bad from day 1 in my eyes.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:09 pm

brwi wrote:

Yeah, Gallant or Laviolette would likely be my top choices if Sullivan were fired.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ThronedFlame on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:48 pm

battleship kelly wrote:malkin should be gone along with kristofer lertang, should still get a good return. try to sign marleau for a couple more years.
curious, what did you see in Maleau that would warrant resigning him?
ThronedFlame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Fast B wrote:I do look forward to an offseason full of idiots clamoring to get rid of Crosby and Malkin and blow it all up, as though they were the main problem (and I say that acknowledging that Malkin could have done a lot more this series). Guess those folks really miss the X Generation.

The X Generation at least put in an effort, and results were pretty similar.

I had season tickets through the GenX years. They might have been L's, but they were actually enjoyable games to watch. People now don't know the difference between good games and L/W
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:53 pm

battleship kelly wrote:malkin should be gone along with kristofer lertang, should still get a good return. try to sign marleau for a couple more years.

Marleau? You are drunker that I am!
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mayday56 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 pm

I'd hate to see Geno go but I agree I do think its time...maybe a deal with Florida...as for Letang Ill help him pack if it would get him out of here any faster...to anywhere. maybe even to Montreal he made a couple of pretty sweet passes to them today...Dont re-sign Sheary..please dont he cant stay upright. as for Marleau he needs to ride off into the sunset...maybe back to San Jose. Nice dream but didnt work out. Trade Murray..get what you can for a still young 2 time stanley cup winning goal tender. Im hearing Detroit has interest. Buy out Johnson. I defended him all year but good god what a mess. he is decent on the penalty kill so thats something....with all of these trades get some bigger ,speedier bodies. need to drastically change the Pens mindset. it was like Montreal knew what the Pens were going to do even before they did it. same as the Isles last year. sorry fact is 1 and 9 in last 10 playoff games.
mayday56
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 pm

pens_CT wrote:

You mean the Olli who has 2G and 2A in 3 games and is a plus 3?

We had to run him out of town so we could auit up Jack **** Johnson every night
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mayday56 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 pm

the only good thing is we have a chance at the #1 overall pick now and the offseason wont be to long...thats something...
mayday56
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Would like to get some more youth and speed into the lineup. Not that we have a lot of up and coming prospects, but I would like to see some new blood.

Problem is they don’t have a lot of openings up front.

I would move Murray and include Johnson in the package. Detroit would have interest in both.

I don’t see them moving Geno or Letang, unless they request a trade.

They need to figure out 3C, trim some fat (Marleau, Sheary, Bjugstad, Johnson, Schultz etc.

Play Zucker with Sid and try to find another wing that compliments their game. Geno Jake and Rust is a great line. McCann I like at 3rd line wing, not center. Horny on the other wing , I guess.

There’s just not a lot of openings for young players to come into the forward lineup.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:19 pm

I understand the thoughts behind moving Geno, but I think he stays. Letang is fair game, he's lost a step, and won't make up for it with awareness like some do when they age. Someone will want him who thinks they are a piece away, and want some playoff experience and someone who can log some minutes.

While criticism of the top 2 C's is warranted, the easiest variable to isolate to see the difference between the teams that made deep runs and those that went home early is the play of the 3rd and 4th lines. The '08 Eastern champ and '09 cup champ had Jordan Staal, Kennedy, and Cooke as third liners, and Dupuis, Malone, and Armstrong played some there. (Obligatory mention of Gary Roberts on the '08 team to keep from getting banned from the board.) The latest 2 Cup teams had the H-B-K line, and a lot of speed on the 4th lines.

Probably the only exceptions were the '10 team that was also deep and got robbed by Halak, and the '13 team that fell apart against the B's. Those teams had solid bottom 6 forwards, and still failed to reach the Cup finals. (Although they won 7 and 8 playoff games respectively.) We didn't get enough from the 3rd and 4th this week, and now we are headed for a late, early offseason.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sergei on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:24 pm

I just wonder what everybody who clamors for a fire sale reckons will happen once (if) it occurs.

I feel that the only difference would be cost saving.

That's because no matter whether the sale occurs, the Pens won't be real contenders for years ands years.

Because what are the chances to get the likes of 66, 68, 87 and 71 on the roster AGAIN?

I've been a Pens fan since 1982 and I fully appreciate how blessed the team has been.

Do a fire sale and become a middle-of-the-road team like, I dunno, Dallas or Minnesota or Winnipeg or the Flyers...

But without a fire sale who knows, there may be another chance, given we get a different coach / GM
sergei
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:31 pm

Well the Oilers just lost, Toronto is losing. This whole return to play is a farce. Regular season meant nothing.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Would like to see Poulin in the lineup next year. Not sure where he fits in though. Not so sure ZAR gets an automatic roster spot. Ever since he got his jaw busted against the Caps in the playoffs he’s been a soft, non difference maker.

I admit, I do enjoy the off season better sometimes and try to create new rosters then seeing what we just saw this past week.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 pm

58 and 71 going opens up a ton of cap. We need an injection of youth, new PP coach and new system. We are no longer fast, play fast and our PP isn’t the advantage it once was. More can go too, but those two pieces would help. At very least, 58 and and a buy out of 3 with a coaching change, minimal on PP is a must.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:58 pm

sergei wrote:Do a fire sale and become a middle-of-the-road team like, I dunno, Dallas or Minnesota or Winnipeg or the Flyers...

But without a fire sale who knows, there may be another chance, given we get a different coach / GM

The problem is that they already are a middle-of-the-road-team. Dallas and the Flyers will actually be in the playoffs this year, and Minnesota isn't eliminated quite yet. Three years of near-identical playoff failures for the Pens... how many chances do you think they should continue status quo?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/13087 ... ilable/amp

Something to keep an eye on. Laviolette is available now...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sergei on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
sergei wrote:Do a fire sale and become a middle-of-the-road team like, I dunno, Dallas or Minnesota or Winnipeg or the Flyers...

The problem is that they already are a middle-of-the-road-team. Dallas and the Flyers will actually be in the playoffs this year, and Minnesota isn't eliminated quite yet. Three years of near-identical playoff failures for the Pens... how many chances do you think they should continue status quo?

Agreed. But what will change after the fire sale?
sergei
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Ok, after taking some time, and a lot of vodka. I have outlined a realistic plan.

I don’t think it’s practical to trade Malkin and Letang now. You trade Letang who’s playing 26 minutes a night ? Talent is not the issue on this team. The issue is execution, hunger and preparation. That’s coaching.

1. Fire Sullivan. Hire Laviolette. JR has a history with him and has stated he would have hired him as the Pens coach if he was available.

2. Let go Sherrryyy, Marleau, Schultz

3. Trade Murray and JJ for a young, under contract top 4 d man

Crosby, Zucker, Simon
Malkin, Jake, Rust
Bjugstad, McCann, Horny
Bluger, Tanev, ZAR/Poulin

Letang/Dumo
Marino/ Murray trade
Pettersson/POJ

The talent is there. They need a new voice behind the bench. The core has earned the chance to keep going for championships. Thoughts ??
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins