BLOW IT UP

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: BLOW IT UP

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56 pm

KG wrote:Ok, after taking some time, and a lot of vodka. I have outlined a realistic plan.

I don’t think it’s practical to trade Malkin and Letang now. You trade Letang who’s playing 26 minutes a night ? Talent is not the issue on this team. The issue is execution, hunger and preparation. That’s coaching.

1. Fire Sullivan. Hire Laviolette. JR has a history with him and has stated he would have hired him as the Pens coach if he was available.

2. Let go Sherrryyy, Marleau, Schultz

3. Trade Murray and JJ for a young, under contract top 4 d man

Crosby, Zucker, Simon
Malkin, Jake, Rust
Bjugstad, McCann, Horny
Bluger, Tanev, ZAR/Poulin

Letang/Dumo
Marino/ Murray trade
Pettersson/POJ

The talent is there. They need a new voice behind the bench. The core has earned the chance to keep going for championships. Thoughts ??

Not enough roster turnover.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
KG wrote:Ok, after taking some time, and a lot of vodka. I have outlined a realistic plan.

I don’t think it’s practical to trade Malkin and Letang now. You trade Letang who’s playing 26 minutes a night ? Talent is not the issue on this team. The issue is execution, hunger and preparation. That’s coaching.

1. Fire Sullivan. Hire Laviolette. JR has a history with him and has stated he would have hired him as the Pens coach if he was available.

Crosby, Zucker, Simon
Malkin, Jake, Rust
Bjugstad, McCann, Horny

Letang/Dumo
Marino/ Murray trade
Pettersson/POJ

The talent is there. They need a new voice behind the bench. The core has earned the chance to keep going for championships. Thoughts ??

Not enough roster turnover.

Not horrible, but not I'm not at all convinced by Simon on the top line, and line 3 still needs serious work.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:09 am

So I have to ask the board. What if we actually get Alexis Lefereniere?? Do you still trade Letang??
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens Fans Sweden on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:00 am

Would the Maple Leafs have interest in Letang? They've been looking for a right handed defenseman but failed with Barrie? A swap of Letang and Nylander makes sense money wise, but not sure we could fool them enough to get it done. Maybe we could convince them that Letang will be fine paired up with Muzzin? After all, Letang got Stanley Cup experience... for what it's worth....

IMO the Penguins are lacking talented right handed shots at forward. Right now we have Rust and Hörnqvist, that's it (I really don't count Bjugstad, Lafferty, Rodrigues and Angello). I'm a big fan of playing left handed shots at the left wing and vice versa.

Nylander with Zucker and Crosby would be nice!
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:24 am

Team and coaching stuff needs changes, thats 101%! Go after Gallant, Boudreau or Laviolette
Among players I would keep : Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Poulin, Legare, Tanev, Blueger from F, Dumoulin, Marino, Joseph among D -- Jarry as G,
ALL others available thru trades
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:21 am

Jim wrote:I was a strong proponent of Rutherford until the last season+. I am open to him being replaced.

I have been very vocal about the coaching situation needing overhauled. Especially the head coach, but also Gonchar and Recchi, basically everyone. I was vocal about Bales being let go for Buckley and was openly mocked for it... I stand by it.

Players, the only players that I am not openly entertaining offers for are Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Dumoulin, Marino, Poulin, Legare, Joseph.

I would add Lafrenière to the no trade list..
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:07 am

Letang, Malkin and Crosby have NMC in their contract. Letang eats up minutes to keep the Schultz and Johnson of the world off the ice. He is here until his contract expires in 2021-2022 unless he agrees to a trade that year at the trade deadline.

Geno is here unless he wants to hang out in Florida. His choice.

The UFA’s are easy. Goodbye.

The RFA’s are a little harder. With the cap frozen, the decision to trade them are a little easier. Jarry is good enough if the team in front of him plays hockey. So goodbye Murray.

Key next year is hoping Rutherford’s January coaching change sparks the slumbering Pens.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am

I think you go into the offseason with literally whats under contract plus Jarry and DeSmith:

Line 1: Jake - Sid - FA
Line 2: Zucker - Geno - Rust
Line 3: FA - FA - Horny
Line 4: ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

You move on from Bjustad and JJ in anyway you can whether its buyout or what.

Line 1 FA = Alexis L if we win that. If not get a RW who is young/hungry via FA.
Line 2 is good.
Line 3: Revamp the whole freaking thing. Maybe get Faska from Dallas to center it. Maybe put Lafferty on wing here.
Line 4 is good (could be line 3 next year in all seriousness)

DP 1: Dumo - Letang
DP 2: Marino - Petterson
DP 3: FA - Rhuwedel
Extra: POJ

DP 1: Fine unless you can move Letang and upgrade it.
DP 2: Fine
DP 3: Make a huge splash in FA. We are going to get rid of JJ (we have no choice now). I want this FA to be the Pens biggest / expensive get this offseason.

Goalies are Jarry and DeSmith.

My thought on Murray is if we dont get Alex L you package him and our first (15th) to Ottawa for their 4th overall.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:34 am

Teams like Ottawa and Buffalo are in good position to trade for Murray if they want him. If Ottawa offered the 5th overall or Buffalo the 7th for Murray and the 15th I'd consider pulling the trigger especially if they took a bad contract too.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:01 am

I would rather see Tom Barrasso behind the bench than time out Peter .
No this series and off season is about Coach Sullivan taking that long look in the mirror. Out coached the last 2 series.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am

I'm not sure a rebuild is what's needed. Rutherford has not found a 3rd line center since Bonino left. Brassard, Bjugstad, and McCann have not worked out. It was a glaring hole during this series against Montreal. They need someone else who can score in the top 6. Haven't seen enough of Zucker to know whether he'll be that guy. He seems more of a complimentary piece rather than a pure scorer they need.

The big question is, do you move Malkin or Letang? I would be surprised if they moved either one. They should move Letang. Obviously Malkin has way more value. I do think moving Malkin signifies a rebuild though. I don't think he can be moved and they can find a 2C who is better. Who would you get that would be an improvement over him? He still was in top ten in ppg this season. I don't think a package deal makes sense either were they would get a couple NHL players in return. If you're going to move him, sell him off for picks/top prospects. That puts them two or three years away, can you sell that to Crosby? It makes more sense to move Letang. I don't think he's as important to this team. He can't QB the PP and he's not steady enough to be a number 1 guy. Obviously if he's moved, they would need to acquire another top 4 guy whether through trade or FA.

I think they're in good shape with Jarry as the number 1. Murray hasn't turned into the goalie everyone hoped he'd be since the cup years. He should net a big haul in a trade. Need to let all the UFAs walk(Sheary, Schultz, and Marleau) and McCann(RFA).
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:46 am

Agree with most of what's been said on this thread, but the one player on everyone's "no trade" or "keep" list that I'm not so sure of is Dumolin. He looked terrible in this short series. He hasn't looked the same since his injury.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:50 am

I'll comment on some of these posts when I get home later to a computer rather than a phone, but, at this point the key decisions are those from Lemieux/Burkle.

-- Are they mad enough with the past 3 years to make major changes?
-- If yes, is it coach, GM, both, neither?
-- Are they willing to consider moving Geno or Letang?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:27 pm

KG wrote:If this was a one time event I would chalk it up to Covid.

But being 1-9 in their last 10 playoff games, it’s time for a change.

I would move on from Rutherford and Sully. Shero
Is available :)

Maybe Botteril , Gallant or Laviolette for coach?

I think a veteran coach would be a good move for this team.

Would finally start thinking about moving someone from the real core. Does that ever even happen these days though??

Oooh, I like the idea of Gallant or Laviolette for coach. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:Agree with most of what's been said on this thread, but the one player on everyone's "no trade" or "keep" list that I'm not so sure of is Dumolin. He looked terrible in this short series. He hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Yeah, I agree. Dumolin looked lost out there a number of times.

As for Caufield going, who's going to tell him that? :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:51 pm

If I'm ownership/management, this is what I do:

Fire Sullivan and Recchi, at minimum. Bring in a fresh voice.
Let Rutherford retire in grace.
Schultz, Sheary, Marleau walk.
Buy out/bribe a team to take/jettison into the sun JJ.
Actively shop Letang and look for RD replacement in FA (Shattenkirk, Barrie)
Figure out what to do with Bjugstadt. LTIR or trade or buyout or something.
Qualify Simon, let Rodrigues walk.
Get Murray moved now. Package him with the 1st to move up in the draft if we don't get 1OA, or look to San Jose or Detroit (LeBanc, Mantha).

That's a good start.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:09 pm

In for the annual "the sky is falling, trade everyone" overreacting bridge jumping thread.

A 5 game series, after 5 months off, is not something you can really judge people on. Players especially but also coach.

I haven't been the biggest Sullivan fan but don't think he is fired, because of all the injuries during the regular season and them somehow outperforming expectations. If he would have been fired it would have had to be after getting swept last year. So he at least starts the year(maybe fired halfway through season). Likely make changes with the assistant coaches though. I do not think GMJR gets fired, although I highly dislike what he has done the past 8 months(did not like the Zucker trade, or sheary trade or Pettersson mega raise)

Murray will definitely hopefully be traded. But other than that I do not foresee a ton of changes. Schultz and Sheary will both be gone cause UFA. Marleau they can offer league minimum to if he wants it. Bjugstad we really need to trade but not sure if anybody will trade for the new Beau Bennett with that cap hit. Simon they can offer him a contract but if he wants to much they can get rid of him. If everybody picks their lucky clovers Monday maybe they get Lafraniere to play on sids LW and play Jake on the right.

In the Murray trade maybe they get somebody to replace Schultz. If they trade Murray for picks then they need to sign a 3rd pairing defenseman but not sure they can afford one because of some of the contracts they already are stuck with.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Hatrick wrote:A 5 game series, after 5 months off, is not something you can really judge people on. Players especially but also coach.

If you can't see this is a direct continuation of the last 2 postseasons then idk what to tell you.

Big changes need to happen. This team has too much experience to just not show up whatsoever like that.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:20 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:If I'm ownership/management, this is what I do:

Fire Sullivan and Recchi, at minimum. Bring in a fresh voice.
Let Rutherford retire in grace.
Schultz, Sheary, Marleau walk.
Buy out/bribe a team to take/jettison into the sun JJ.
Actively shop Letang and look for RD replacement in FA (Shattenkirk, Barrie)
Figure out what to do with Bjugstadt. LTIR or trade or buyout or something.
Qualify Simon, let Rodrigues walk.
Get Murray moved now. Package him with the 1st to move up in the draft if we don't get 1OA, or look to San Jose or Detroit (LeBanc, Mantha).

That's a good start.

That is indeed a very good start. I could live without Simon but if you pull off all the other stuff, he can stay.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:43 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:A 5 game series, after 5 months off, is not something you can really judge people on. Players especially but also coach.

If you can't see this is a direct continuation of the last 2 postseasons then idk what to tell you.

Big changes need to happen. This team has too much experience to just not show up whatsoever like that.

a 5 month break followed by an immediate 5 game series in a bubble, is not a continuation of anything we have ever seen. If you wanted changes after last year than you are still likely to want changes now, if you did not want changes after last year nothing has happened to change that. And some changes were needed even IF they did win the cup this year(with regards to Murray). The result of this series does not change that.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:48 pm

More moves will have to be made, but I would start by working out a deal with Buffalo for Montour and by signing Granlund.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Hatrick wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

a 5 month break followed by an immediate 5 game series in a bubble, is not a continuation of anything we have ever seen. If you wanted changes after last year than you are still likely to want changes now, if you did not want changes after last year nothing has happened to change that. And some changes were needed even IF they did win the cup this year(with regards to Murray). The result of this series does not change that.

What a cop-out.

Every other team is under the exact same circumstances as the Penguins, and they're playing their **** asses off. Look at that CBJ-TOR game last night and series in general.

This is the exact same lackluster play that's permeated the last 2 postseasons, so there's no excuse.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:54 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

What a cop-out.

Every other team is under the exact same circumstances as the Penguins, and they're playing their **** asses off. Look at that CBJ-TOR game last night and series in general.

This is the exact same lackluster play that's permeated the last 2 postseasons, so there's no excuse.

its not a cop out at all, its just stating facts. Upsets and sloppy play is expected after 5 months off. Like I said if you had issues prior to this year, the issues didn't suddenly go away so obviously you would still think changes are needed. But if you thought everything was fine then nothing should change that either. You definitely sound like the first camp which is fine.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:55 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:Agree with most of what's been said on this thread, but the one player on everyone's "no trade" or "keep" list that I'm not so sure of is Dumolin. He looked terrible in this short series. He hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Yeah, I agree. Dumolin looked lost out there a number of times.

As for Caufield going, who's going to tell him that? :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree Dumo did not play well, but, I'm giving him a pass. Did he play well last year in the playoffs? Yes. Did he play well this season? Yes. This is really the first time in 4 years or so that Dumoulin hasn't looked good. I'm chalking it up to the severe ankle injury that he had early in the season. Not willing to write him off after one bad post-season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghThing on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Crosby, Zucker, Simon
Malkin, Jake, Rust
Bjugstad, McCann, Horny

Letang/Dumo
Marino/ Murray trade
Pettersson/POJ

Bjugstad?! What plays wing game #2?
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins