BLOW IT UP

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: BLOW IT UP

Postby dark_forces on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:Agree with most of what's been said on this thread, but the one player on everyone's "no trade" or "keep" list that I'm not so sure of is Dumolin. He looked terrible in this short series. He hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Yeah, I agree. Dumolin looked lost out there a number of times.

As for Caufield going, who's going to tell him that? :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree Dumo did not play well, but, I'm giving him a pass. Did he play well last year in the playoffs? Yes. Did he play well this season? Yes. This is really the first time in 4 years or so that Dumoulin hasn't looked good. I'm chalking it up to the severe ankle injury that he had early in the season. Not willing to write him off after one bad post-season.

I’m eager to read your take on the organization and how you would manage the roster this offseason.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:58 pm

Grubauer just got beat glove side high for the win.

It’s almost like all goaltenders are vulnerable there.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:25 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Grubauer just got beat glove side high for the win.

Price was as well. We just missed.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Mario will want Malkin to retire a penguin, we all know Croaby will. Letang would be the one i would think is the odd part of the "core" out.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:25 pm

GM Jim was ahead of his time in trading for Reaves. NHL turning towards big now. The pens must get a big body or 2. Somebody who will check other players when they have the puck. Jake was a rag doll on the ice. Go find a redwood D man that others teams employ.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:29 pm

I just don’t know how we replace Letang and his minutes. He plays 25 minutes a night, #1 D man. PP, PK. If they deal him they won’t be getting a #1 D man in return I’m sure. Do they go with more a no name team defense?

Also have no idea what the market is for him. Would think pretty high still. Right handed number one d man. Should still cost a premium.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:32 pm

penny lane wrote:GM Jim was ahead of his time in trading for Reaves. NHL turning towards big now. The pens must get a big body or 2. Somebody who will check other players when they have the puck. Jake was a rag doll on the ice. Go find a redwood D man that others teams employ.

Agreed. I never liked how the Reaves situation went down or how that was handled. There was no reason why he couldn’t play for this team. He’s good enough to take a regular shift for one of the better teams in the league.

I’ve had enough of being such an easy team to play against. Enough Sheary falling over the place. We need more Tanev types throughout the lineup. Preferably with more skill, but some toughness would be nice. Finish a check or two! Let teams no it isn’t going to be a cake walk. Which is what this team has become in the playoffs recently.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:33 pm

KG wrote:I just don’t know how we replace Letang and his minutes. He plays 25 minutes a night, #1 D man. PP, PK. If they deal him they won’t be getting a #1 D man in return I’m sure. Do they go with more a no name team defense?

Also have no idea what the market is for him. Would think pretty high still. Right handed number one d man. Should still cost a premium.

They'd have to get someone in free agency, Barrie maybe. He wouldn't be cheap cap hit wise, although his offensive numbers took dip this year.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:43 pm

pens_CT wrote:
KG wrote:I just don’t know how we replace Letang and his minutes. He plays 25 minutes a night, #1 D man. PP, PK. If they deal him they won’t be getting a #1 D man in return I’m sure. Do they go with more a no name team defense?

They'd have to get someone in free agency, Barrie maybe. He wouldn't be cheap cap hit wise, although his offensive numbers took dip this year.

Pietrangelo is a pretty good player UFA :)
Krug and Barrie too.

Pens haven’t gone for the big ticket free agent in some time. Granted they never have the cap space, and don’t now. But if they unload Letang and Murray for youth and picks they could...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:54 pm

dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:Agree with most of what's been said on this thread, but the one player on everyone's "no trade" or "keep" list that I'm not so sure of is Dumolin. He looked terrible in this short series. He hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Yeah, I agree. Dumolin looked lost out there a number of times.

As for Caufield going, who's going to tell him that? :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree Dumo did not play well, but, I'm giving him a pass. Did he play well last year in the playoffs? Yes. Did he play well this season? Yes. This is really the first time in 4 years or so that Dumoulin hasn't looked good. I'm chalking it up to the severe ankle injury that he had early in the season. Not willing to write him off after one bad post-season.

I’m eager to read your take on the organization and how you would manage the roster this offseason.

Yeah. I still want see you tell Caulfield he's gone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:57 pm

KG wrote:
penny lane wrote:GM Jim was ahead of his time in trading for Reaves. NHL turning towards big now. The pens must get a big body or 2. Somebody who will check other players when they have the puck. Jake was a rag doll on the ice. Go find a redwood D man that others teams employ.

Agreed. I never liked how the Reaves situation went down or how that was handled. There was no reason why he couldn’t play for this team. He’s good enough to take a regular shift for one of the better teams in the league.

I’ve had enough of being such an easy team to play against. Enough Sheary falling over the place. We need more Tanev types throughout the lineup. Preferably with more skill, but some toughness would be nice. Finish a check or two! Let teams no it isn’t going to be a cake walk. Which is what this team has become in the playoffs recently.

:thumb:

I was unpleasantly surprised at how much and how effectively Montreal hit the Penguins. And won puck battles along the boards and in the corners..

As a former Montreal and Pittsburgh coach once said "De soff".
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ziggo on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 am

The bottom 6 and the bottom 2 on D are the main problems. We should at least have a bottom 6 that can check the crap outta teams and suck up ice time, so the stars are more fresh in the 3rd period. The bottom 2 should be decently mobile and again log enough ice time to keep the top 4 fresher. If you trade all the stars , you still haven't addressed the bottom 6.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm

We all spend all of this time trying to construct a great roster. What this post season has showed it’s more about system and players buying into the system.

The Flyers are the top seed in the East. Their 3rd and 4th line centers are Derek Grant (yes the former Pen) and Nate Thompson! Shows you it’s more the system they play.

I guess what I’m trying to say is it’s not all about talent. Lesser talented teams can and do win if they have a strong coach.

I think it’s time for a change behind the bench. Bring in Lavioette for 3-4 years. That’s the usual lifespan.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:02 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Grubauer just got beat glove side high for the win.

So sad..
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Jim wrote:By the way Caufield gotta go too...

I'm with you on this one Jim!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:09 pm

I find it hard to make any real judgments on the team as a whole after this season. Of all the playoff years, this is the easiest one to cast aside as a fluke. There's no doubt - this team didn't react well to the long break, and it didn't react well to the lack of energy from playing in an empty building. I just don't know how much I would read into this disjointed season. I was closer to saying "blow it up" after last season than I am right now.

There may be some very difficult choices ahead, but I wouldn't panic just yet. I would give Sullivan the reins again next year, but I would have my hands on the button if things fall apart in the first half of the next season. I think some more changes at the margins would be the way to go right now. Definitely a coaching change for the power play. Definitely ok with watching the UFAs all walk. Definitely would like to ship JJ for a bag of pucks.

As for the "core," I would give it another shot and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle. I don't expect them to be a Cup favorite, but I think they could still make a run. As a fan, I would personally rather see how things shake out with Sid and Geno than watch either get moved.... even if that means no more cups during their run. I would be upset if they shipped out Geno, and mortified if they shipped out Sid (not that either are going to happen, IMO). I don't put Letang in that same category, and if the right move came along, so be it. I have always been more emotionally attached to generational players, and would hate to see them go. Once you get that first Cup for an Era, everything else is a bonus. Now that this team has three in the Sid/Geno era, I'm not as emotionally tied to winning another championship. I expect I'm in the minority on this, but I would trade another Cup for a full career of having Sid and Geno on the Pens because I get more enjoyment from watching them play on a daily basis. I don't expect the Pens' management to think this way, though I think they may be closer to my thinking than some would believe.

Finally, everything could change by this evening, depending on the draft lottery.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Jim Rutherford to speak with the media today at 1PM. Solo act, no coach.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 100565 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 pm

penny lane wrote:Jim Rutherford to speak with the media today at 1PM. Solo act, no coach.

He can get back to being a great GM by saying Sully and REcchi have been let go.

Have the Pens ever won a cup with a coach that has been with the team longer than 3 years? (might even be 2 yearrs)

Are a super high percentage of Stanley cup winning coaches long tenured coaches?

Should Sully be back?

(no, no, and no)
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:33 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:I find it hard to make any real judgments on the team as a whole after this season. Of all the playoff years, this is the easiest one to cast aside as a fluke. There's no doubt - this team didn't react well to the long break, and it didn't react well to the lack of energy from playing in an empty building. I just don't know how much I would read into this disjointed season. I was closer to saying "blow it up" after last season than I am right now.

There may be some very difficult choices ahead, but I wouldn't panic just yet. I would give Sullivan the reins again next year, but I would have my hands on the button if things fall apart in the first half of the next season. I think some more changes at the margins would be the way to go right now. Definitely a coaching change for the power play. Definitely ok with watching the UFAs all walk. Definitely would like to ship JJ for a bag of pucks.

As for the "core," I would give it another shot and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle. I don't expect them to be a Cup favorite, but I think they could still make a run. As a fan, I would personally rather see how things shake out with Sid and Geno than watch either get moved.... even if that means no more cups during their run. I would be upset if they shipped out Geno, and mortified if they shipped out Sid (not that either are going to happen, IMO). I don't put Letang in that same category, and if the right move came along, so be it. I have always been more emotionally attached to generational players, and would hate to see them go. Once you get that first Cup for an Era, everything else is a bonus. Now that this team has three in the Sid/Geno era, I'm not as emotionally tied to winning another championship. I expect I'm in the minority on this, but I would trade another Cup for a full career of having Sid and Geno on the Pens because I get more enjoyment from watching them play on a daily basis. I don't expect the Pens' management to think this way, though I think they may be closer to my thinking than some would believe.

Finally, everything could change by this evening, depending on the draft lottery.

I'm with you on the hard to play in an empty building. I watched one game and it felt like I was watching an exhibition. It was like a bad sit com with a laugh track. Rather not have hockey than have what's being given to us.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm

I now look back at the trade deadline activity and believe it was sort of wasteful.
Why did we deal Kahun? I'd rather have him as a youthful, speedy wing with touch who could easily play in the top 9, and maybe fit with Sid on a line with Guentzel.
Now, we have Sheary, who will probably leave, and Rodrigues who they didn't play much and who knows what he's about. Then, Marleau just looks like a mistake, and will be gone. Other than the Zucker deal, they should've stayed pat at the deadline.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Kingerski is saying that according to his team sources, there are a lot of people internally upset with the playoff outcome this season. He say Malkin will not be traded, but, according to his sources, last season, the Penguins were pretty far down the trade Malkin road, past the brief discussion phase with Florida. From his description, sounded like Malkin had more of an issue with Sullivan than with Kessel. Penguins flew to World Championships to speak to Malkin to smooth things over. Says that once Crosby got wind of this, he stepped in to play peacemaker, and asked Malkin to meet with Sullivan. A Penguins contingent flew to the World Championships in Slovakia to talk to Malkin, with the outcome either smoothing things over, or getting trade approvals from Malkin to go to Florida.

Consider the source and form your own opinion.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ahawk9 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:02 pm

I agree with the above about the Kahun for Sheary/Rodrigues deal. I know Kahun was due a nice raise, but he was playing really well in a lot of situations. You knew that Sheary peaked early in his career, and Rodrigues was an underachiever (although I will say I liked the small sample size I saw in Pittsburgh - not $2 million like, but I thought he was better than I'd expected). The Marleau deal was made assuming Jake was done for the year, so, OK.

I understand the Zucker deal, and he was a good pickup (I think). Again, I think the Pens sent too much for him, but they were probably bidding against others. Rutherford has orchestrated deals that have won two Cups, and for that I'm grateful. But... he has made quite a few head-scratchers lately (Johnson, obviously, among throwing draft picks like pennies).

Sullivan is in full Bylsma mode right now, as far as playing inferior guys whom he happens to love (Johnson, again, and Garrett Wilson, to name two). Maybe add Murray to that. He played the young guys when they were his from S/WB but now he's hesitant to do that. Montreal had to play some younger guys because they were sellers and it sure paid off. I think Sully is a great coach - his results show it - but he's reached the end of his Pittsburgh shelf-life. The way coaches rotate in this league, he could be back in 7 years guiding them to another deep Cup run.

Anyway, I think they can keep open the window for a few more years without giving up every first rounder. I'm guessing they keep this years and give Minny next year's. I'd prefer that they stockpile (really replenish) some draft picks and get some hungry young guys up to complement the Core. I would also trade Letang. I think it's time. Yep, he eats a ton of minutes and drives possession, but a move might be good for both parties.

As for others, I'd get Seattle to select Hornqvist next year, which would cost something, but one more year of the ol' warrior won't be what sinks the team. I'd let Sheary, Shultz, Marleau go, consider a short-term deal for Rodrigues (for much less than 2 mil), try to get something of value for Murray and Letang, see if you can trade Bjugstad and Johnson (if not, buy 'em out). That's a start. They need some young guys in the pipeline again. I mean, that's what happens when you're atop the league for so long - you end up giving up prospects and picks to keep the train moving. But, knowing when to "change on the fly" and segue into a younger team surrounding aging superstars is the key. If they can do it well, they can maybe avoid being Detroit and LA.
ahawk9

Postby Maestro on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:15 pm

If Sullivan stays, nothing will change.
2 cups generated inflated ego that has lead to a steady 3 year straight decline.

Nothing will change.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 100565 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 pm

ahawk9 wrote:I agree with the above about the Kahun for Sheary/Rodrigues deal. I know Kahun was due a nice raise, but he was playing really well in a lot of situations.

IMO, this deal only makes sense if the Pens had (pre-Covid) plans to resign both goalies.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 100565 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Maestro wrote:If Sullivan stays, nothing will change.
2 cups generated inflated ego that has lead to a steady 3 year straight decline.

Nothing will change.

Agree. I think Sully is an outstanding coach who will have a great coaching career. His time is up in Pittsburgh though.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins