An updated look ahead to the Penguins 20-21 season

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: An updated look ahead to the Penguins 20-21 season

Postby KG on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I would definitely look to rehire Botterill. I don't think JR should be shown the door. I blame the last 3 playoff failures more on Sullivan and the Core.

I guess there's a reason why a young McCann got trade 2 times already. I like his game when he's on, and see him as a 3rd line winger. Maybe there is more that management doesn't like..

If Bjugstad is OK to play, I don't think they would have to buy him out. Big RH center with only 1 year left on his deal is an asset, trade him for a pick etc.

Johnson I don't know what to think. He obviously should not be on the roster. History has shown JR is not afraid to right a wrong. Hopefully they can remedy the situation ASAP.

He didn't mention what to do with the coaching staff?

Also, I was watching the Blues game yesterday. They hired Marc Savard to be their PP coach, and they are happy with him. Definitely nee to get the PP righted. It's amazing how a team with this much talent can't figure out how to work a power play!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:13 pm

KG wrote:I would definitely look to rehire Botterill. I don't think JR should be shown the door. I blame the last 3 playoff failures more on Sullivan and the Core.

I guess there's a reason why a young McCann got trade 2 times already. I like his game when he's on, and see him as a 3rd line winger. Maybe there is more that management doesn't like..

If Bjugstad is OK to play, I don't think they would have to buy him out. Big RH center with only 1 year left on his deal is an asset, trade him for a pick etc.

Johnson I don't know what to think. He obviously should not be on the roster. History has shown JR is not afraid to right a wrong. Hopefully they can remedy the situation ASAP.

Also, I was watching the Blues game yesterday. They hired Marc Savard to be their PP coach, and they are happy with him. Definitely nee to get the PP righted. It's amazing how a team with this much talent can't figure out how to work a power play!

On Botteril, DK didn't sound very confident in Karmanos as an eventual successor to Rutherford.

On McCann, I think he suffers from a problem that probably 80% of players in the league do....consistency. He just is not consistent enough in his play to count on him to do X. He keeps getting close to looking like he's going to break out, then falls completely flat. Did it in Vancouver and Florida, and seems to be repeating the trend here.

Even if Bjugstad is 100% healthy, he has a long injury history. He's a UFA after next season, which lowers his value. So does his injury history. So does his lack of production compared to his draft history/perceived potential. Maybe somebody will bite. I'd take a 7th for him. I just think the Penguins need to move on from low reward players. Yes, maybe Bjugstad can play here this year and work out, but, if you had to put $10,000 on the line that he's going to work out, would you? I sure wouldn't. Not to mention his salary really prohibits what moves the Penguins can do in terms of roster movement.

Coaching staff, all he really talked about was the PP. He talked a little about some Sullivan miscues, and Sullivan wanting to defend against Montreal instead of attacking aggressively, but, other than the PP changes he didn't mention anything else.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:I would definitely look to rehire Botterill. I don't think JR should be shown the door. I blame the last 3 playoff failures more on Sullivan and the Core.

On Botteril, DK didn't sound very confident in Karmanos as an eventual successor to Rutherford.

On McCann, I think he suffers from a problem that probably 80% of players in the league do....consistency. He just is not consistent enough in his play to count on him to do X. He keeps getting close to looking like he's going to break out, then falls completely flat. Did it in Vancouver and Florida, and seems to be repeating the trend here.

Even if Bjugstad is 100% healthy, he has a long injury history. He's a UFA after next season, which lowers his value. So does his injury history. So does his lack of production compared to his draft history/perceived potential. Maybe somebody will bite. I'd take a 7th for him. I just think the Penguins need to move on from low reward players. Yes, maybe Bjugstad can play here this year and work out, but, if you had to put $10,000 on the line that he's going to work out, would you? I sure wouldn't. Not to mention his salary really prohibits what moves the Penguins can do in terms of roster movement.

Coaching staff, all he really talked about was the PP. He talked a little about some Sullivan miscues, and Sullivan wanting to defend against Montreal instead of attacking aggressively, but, other than the PP changes he didn't mention anything else.

Bjugstad and Bonino with identical salary and term. Id make that swap, we'd probably have to sweeten for Nashville to pull the trigger
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Dejan did a piece yesterday, talking about what changes need to be made. He discussed a bunch of different items, including:

--In their past 13 playoff games, the Penguins have not scored more than 3 goals in any of them. 25 total goals in 13 games is just under 2 goals per game average. That's not what this team is built for. Lack of scoring is hurting them big time.

--Says the trading of #1 draft picks HAS TO STOP. It is no longer worth trading these away for short term rentals, and even more longer-term pieces like Zucker.

--Says there is no way to win a trade of any of the core. It probably won't be Beech, Sivek, and Lupashuk, but, it isn't going to be a spectacular return either.

--Finally, and this was a big one...the team needs to stop being afraid to play youth. Mentioned how Lafferty and Rodrigues were 2 of the best looking players all camp, and they surely couldn't have been worse than Marleau.

He then went on to give 10 immediate changes that should occur (a lot of these we have discussed or mentioned as well):

1. Rehire Botterill. Say another set of eyes is needed to help guide this team through the next phase.
2. Team needs to publicly pronounce a desire to go younger. Say it to the coaches, the players, and the prospects in the system.
3. Team needs to scour the Earth for a great hockey PP mind. Because the Penguins surely don't currently employ one.
4. Let Schultz, Marleau, and Sheary all walk.
5. Buyout BOTH Bjugstad and Johnson. Doesn't matter if cap savings is "worth it" or not.
6. Trade McCann. Called him an enigma that another team may be willing to overpay for because of his age. Take what you can get.
7. Have internal discussions with Malkin and Letang that, no contract extensions with them are going to occur until a dramatic turnaround in the post season occurs. If they want to be here longer, they need to up their games when it matters most.
8. At least put feelers out for moving Hornqvist. 6M 3rd line winger is too much. Says at his age, salary, and NMC, there likely won't be any takers, but, the team needs to at least poke around and see if there is.
9. Sign Jarry to a multi-year deal with expectation he is the #1
10. Trade Murray. He seems to think there will be a good return, such as a young defenseman.

One thing DK that really got to me was the 1st rounders, and then the Boston Bruins. Boston is the one team that has not hit the wall like Chicago, Detroit, and LA. They still have that same core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, and Rask. And they have done that because they have added guys like Pastranak, McAvoy, Krug, etc along the way.

I took a deeper look at this. From 2013 - 2019, the Penguins have only drafted in the 1st round twice, Kapanen and Poulin. 7 years, only 2 picks in 1st round. All the others traded away. During that same time period, Boston has lacked a 1st rounder only twice. Even further, Boston still managed to stockpile first rounders. In 2016 Boston has 2 1st rounders. In 2015 they had 3 1st rounders. In that 7 year period, Boston has made 8 1st round selections. They didn't hit on all of them. They did hit on Pastranak, McAvoy, and DeBrusk, and, I'd say the last 2 are too early to tell.

Very interesting items here.

Hard to argue with much of that. Just playing around on CapFriendly, if we followed his suggestions (buying out Bjugstad and Johnson, trading Murray and McCann, re-signing Lafferty, Rodrigues, Simon, and Jarry), we'd be looking at something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Rodrigues-Hornqvist
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Tanev
Ex.: Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Joseph-Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

That assumes no takers for Hornqvist and doesn't factor in any return on the McCann and Murray trades. That's not a bad base to work with, and they'd still have about $7-8 million in cap space with that roster (depending on what you think the RFAs would sign for). Obviously, the weak spots are the bottom D pair, the 3rd line, and Simon, but they'd presumably have some NHL-ready trade pieces coming back, and even if not, could fit in some UFAs.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pm

I'm going to hold off on discussing potential lines until 630PM
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Tallon officially out in Florida. Going to be a very interesting, and long! off season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:29 pm

KG wrote:Tallon officially out in Florida. Going to be a very interesting, and long! off season.

I assume coach Q gets another year, and if the team doesn't go further, he will be shown the door. That contract for goaltender Bob is a cap killer.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Skatingpen on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Many have been saying for 3+ years to trade Malkin and Letang. I think we should move on from this and discuss actual Realistic moves and options the Pens have/could make. They are not trading those 2, they have no one to replace their minutes and production and the players themselves hold the power with their movement clauses.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:57 pm

With the cap frozen Jim will be hard pressed like the rest of the league to free up cap space. The teams with cap space hold all the leverage and is going to cost an arm and a leg to make a deal.

Dream all you want about trading Malkin, I am not says its not worth discussing, but Mario won't let another Jagr situation happen.

Tanger and Murray both will have to go if you can find a deal, Murray should find you a player with youth and cost certainty. Tanger, Nothing said more about his value than 2017.

I do agree, YOUTH needs to be a focus of this team, we have just enough core talent to make a run til Geno and Sid are gone. Sullivan and Jim should not get free passes for their past contributions.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Many have been saying for 3+ years to trade Malkin and Letang. I think we should move on from this and discuss actual Realistic moves and options the Pens have/could make. They are not trading those 2, they have no one to replace their minutes and production and the players themselves hold the power with their movement clauses.

They could potentially bring in a free agent to replace some of Letang's minutes along with the assumption that Marino minutes go up. This also assumes what you get back in a Letang trade gives you some cap space to add a defensemen.A Malkin trade isn't happening because you're not replacing his production. Letang's NMC isn't that restrictive to preclude a trade.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:37 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Many have been saying for 3+ years to trade Malkin and Letang. I think we should move on from this and discuss actual Realistic moves and options the Pens have/could make. They are not trading those 2, they have no one to replace their minutes and production and the players themselves hold the power with their movement clauses.

They could potentially bring in a free agent to replace some of Letang's minutes along with the assumption that Marino minutes go up. This also assumes what you get back in a Letang trade gives you some cap space to add a defensemen.A Malkin trade isn't happening because you're not replacing his production. Letang's NMC isn't that restrictive to preclude a trade.

My take is you gotta trade Murray, so start taking offers. Execute the best offer and see what that is then take stock on remaining holes.

I have zero clue what Murray will bring in return or who might make an offer.

Lets say Buffalo makes the best offer and you get Montour. That makes trading Letang a lot easier
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:30 pm

Would Minnesota think about trading Murray for our first back and Dubnyk if they are that soured on him after their series? It would seem to heavily favor the Pens, but you never know.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:38 pm

Hating the Zucker trade every day that goes by.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Hating the Zucker trade every day that goes by.

Why because he is the 2nd best winger on the roster behind Guentzel?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 pm

DelPen wrote:Would Minnesota think about trading Murray for our first back and Dubnyk if they are that soured on him after their series? It would seem to heavily favor the Pens, but you never know.

Hard pass from me, like, immediate hang up the phone from the Penguins end.

A strong likelihood of a pick in the 15-25 range and a goalie we don't need for Murray? I think the Penguins can do better. I mean, if the best we could do was our pick back, fine, but I'm not taking Dubnyk's cap hit back in that deal....probably not even if you got them to take Jack Johnson in that deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Of the RFA's the only ones I can see returning are Jarry and Lafferty

Trade Bait:
McCann
Murray
Letang
Bjugstad

Bury in the minors:
JJ

If you sign / trade the above players what you have under contract is:
Zucker - Crosby - ???
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
??? - ??? - Hornqvist
ZAR / Lafferty - Bleuger - Tanev

Dumoulin - ???
Pettersson - Marino
??? - ???
Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Get Johnson to retire.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Jim wrote:Get Johnson to retire.

Isn't that the truth

This team really is in sad shape. It's in their best interest to trade Letang, Bjugstad and Hornqvist but I just don't think they'll be any takers.

I dont think they'll have any problem getting some return for McCann and Murray.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 am

I have a feeling just reading Guerin quotes yesterday the Pens are going to send Murray to the Wild.

What would a trade like this look like? Could we do something like this??

Pens Send:
Bjustad
Murray
MCann

Minny Sends:
Jordan Greenway
Dumba or Brodin?
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am

largegarlic wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Dejan did a piece yesterday, talking about what changes need to be made. He discussed a bunch of different items, including:

--In their past 13 playoff games, the Penguins have not scored more than 3 goals in any of them. 25 total goals in 13 games is just under 2 goals per game average. That's not what this team is built for. Lack of scoring is hurting them big time.

--Says the trading of #1 draft picks HAS TO STOP. It is no longer worth trading these away for short term rentals, and even more longer-term pieces like Zucker.

--Says there is no way to win a trade of any of the core. It probably won't be Beech, Sivek, and Lupashuk, but, it isn't going to be a spectacular return either.

--Finally, and this was a big one...the team needs to stop being afraid to play youth. Mentioned how Lafferty and Rodrigues were 2 of the best looking players all camp, and they surely couldn't have been worse than Marleau.

He then went on to give 10 immediate changes that should occur (a lot of these we have discussed or mentioned as well):

1. Rehire Botterill. Say another set of eyes is needed to help guide this team through the next phase.
2. Team needs to publicly pronounce a desire to go younger. Say it to the coaches, the players, and the prospects in the system.
3. Team needs to scour the Earth for a great hockey PP mind. Because the Penguins surely don't currently employ one.
4. Let Schultz, Marleau, and Sheary all walk.
5. Buyout BOTH Bjugstad and Johnson. Doesn't matter if cap savings is "worth it" or not.
6. Trade McCann. Called him an enigma that another team may be willing to overpay for because of his age. Take what you can get.
7. Have internal discussions with Malkin and Letang that, no contract extensions with them are going to occur until a dramatic turnaround in the post season occurs. If they want to be here longer, they need to up their games when it matters most.
8. At least put feelers out for moving Hornqvist. 6M 3rd line winger is too much. Says at his age, salary, and NMC, there likely won't be any takers, but, the team needs to at least poke around and see if there is.
9. Sign Jarry to a multi-year deal with expectation he is the #1
10. Trade Murray. He seems to think there will be a good return, such as a young defenseman.

One thing DK that really got to me was the 1st rounders, and then the Boston Bruins. Boston is the one team that has not hit the wall like Chicago, Detroit, and LA. They still have that same core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, and Rask. And they have done that because they have added guys like Pastranak, McAvoy, Krug, etc along the way.

I took a deeper look at this. From 2013 - 2019, the Penguins have only drafted in the 1st round twice, Kapanen and Poulin. 7 years, only 2 picks in 1st round. All the others traded away. During that same time period, Boston has lacked a 1st rounder only twice. Even further, Boston still managed to stockpile first rounders. In 2016 Boston has 2 1st rounders. In 2015 they had 3 1st rounders. In that 7 year period, Boston has made 8 1st round selections. They didn't hit on all of them. They did hit on Pastranak, McAvoy, and DeBrusk, and, I'd say the last 2 are too early to tell.

Very interesting items here.

Hard to argue with much of that. Just playing around on CapFriendly, if we followed his suggestions (buying out Bjugstad and Johnson, trading Murray and McCann, re-signing Lafferty, Rodrigues, Simon, and Jarry), we'd be looking at something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Rodrigues-Hornqvist
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Tanev
Ex.: Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Joseph-Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

That assumes no takers for Hornqvist and doesn't factor in any return on the McCann and Murray trades. That's not a bad base to work with, and they'd still have about $7-8 million in cap space with that roster (depending on what you think the RFAs would sign for). Obviously, the weak spots are the bottom D pair, the 3rd line, and Simon, but they'd presumably have some NHL-ready trade pieces coming back, and even if not, could fit in some UFAs.

I think with the FA dollars of $7-$8 you could sign a top younger/gritty RW and than this shift occurs:

Zucker - Sid - FA (gritty/young)
Jake - Malkin - Horny
Poulin - Rodrigues - Rust
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

I still think the Pens aim to upgrade these X's:

Zucker - Sid - FA
Jake - Malkin - Horny
Poulin - X -Rust
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

I realize moving Rust to 3rd is not ideal but I feel unless we move Hornqvist that is the best balanced lineup. Unless we get a really good Center that can carry Horny or just have him to go the net but you'd be paying more for that too.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 am

I'm very hesitant to pencil Poulin into the lineup, I just can't imagine he makes the team and contributes.

I think Murray to Buffalo for Montour or to Minnesota for Dumba makes sense for the Pens. Id prefer Dumba.

Acquiring Dumba would force the Pens to move on from Letang.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:51 am

What about Murray to Edmonton for RNH?
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:07 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm very hesitant to pencil Poulin into the lineup, I just can't imagine he makes the team and contributes.

I think Murray to Buffalo for Montour or to Minnesota for Dumba makes sense for the Pens. Id prefer Dumba.

Acquiring Dumba would force the Pens to move on from Letang.

Dumba had 6 G/24 P, in my opinion that doesn't really equate to a 6 million per season player, unless Guerin is taking JJ as well.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens Fans Sweden on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:25 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I have a feeling just reading Guerin quotes yesterday the Pens are going to send Murray to the Wild.

What would a trade like this look like? Could we do something like this??

Pens Send:
Bjustad
Murray
MCann

Minny Sends:
Jordan Greenway
Dumba or Brodin?

I would like this trade very much! I'm a big fan of both Dumba and Greenway though. =)

EDIT:

Why not take it one more step and include Johnson for Rask? I'm convinced Rask could work just fine as a defensive checking line center for the Penguins, all he need is a new team and a second chance, he played well for the Hurricanes a couple of years ago and he's still young enough to raise his game given the chance. Pair him with Greenway and Hörnqvist for a pest kind of third line.

And with Dumba aboard, we could ship Letang to the Maple Leafs in exchange for Nylander...

Zucker - Crosby - Nylander
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Greenway - Rask - Hörnqvist
Tanev - Blueger - Lafferty

Dumoulin - Dumba
Pettersson - Marino
Joseph - Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

That third defense pairing is just names already on the roster, I'm sure we could afford a free agent defenseman or two for those spots if we wanted. Joseph and Ruhwedel could not be worse than Johnson and Schultz however. =)
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:We were the 3rd oldest team in this postseason. Malkin's golden days are well behind him and each year brings more decline in aging players. Expecting a bounce back is silliness. There is no shortcut here. If we truly think Letang and Geno are staying next year, your only option is to bury their minutes and hope you make the playoffs with cheaper and younger players.

Under no circumstances does it make any sense at all for the Pens to bring in any players over 28 this offseason. Zero. As people look at different scenarios, you can start by eliminating that "quick fix" older player.

Geno bouncing back is realistic. He is capable of scoring goals. His scoring was absent against the Canadiens. If his production decreases and the Penguins find themselves with a mustang center who plays up to at least a 2C, then Geno can transition to a 3C.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins