FLPensFan Ranks #1 overall Teams of Need

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: FLPensFan Ranks #1 overall Teams of Need

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:So any NHL ready kids available at #15?

I think the odds of that are probably less than 5%. You'd have to draft a kid who is NHL ready, vs a kid who may have more overall talent but take a few years to hit the NHL. From what I have seen rankings and ratings wise, there are maybe 8-10 players in this draft who COULD be NHL ready sooner rather than later. And that's still lower much lower th

2019: Top 3 picks all played over 60 games in NHL, the 20th and 22nd overall, both d-men, played a combined 11 NHL games (basically, free look before going being sent back to Juniors)
2018: Top 4 picks all played right away. 17 picks from that 1st round have played at least 1 NHL game...11 of those 17 played less than 40 NHL games.
2017: Only 8 players from this 1st round have played over 100 NHL games. Only 4 have never played an NHL game yet, including POJ.

Typically, you only get 3-5 guys in a 1st round that make the jump, and it's usually the first 3 picks. Just not likely to happen.

Do you think our 1st and Murray is enough to get into the top 10 of this draft?
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:04 am

GSdrums87 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think the odds of that are probably less than 5%. You'd have to draft a kid who is NHL ready, vs a kid who may have more overall talent but take a few years to hit the NHL. From what I have seen rankings and ratings wise, there are maybe 8-10 players in this draft who COULD be NHL ready sooner rather than later. And that's still lower much lower th

2019: Top 3 picks all played over 60 games in NHL, the 20th and 22nd overall, both d-men, played a combined 11 NHL games (basically, free look before going being sent back to Juniors)
2018: Top 4 picks all played right away. 17 picks from that 1st round have played at least 1 NHL game...11 of those 17 played less than 40 NHL games.
2017: Only 8 players from this 1st round have played over 100 NHL games. Only 4 have never played an NHL game yet, including POJ.

Typically, you only get 3-5 guys in a 1st round that make the jump, and it's usually the first 3 picks. Just not likely to happen.

Looking big picture, I think Ottawa could be interested in Murray, and, they might be a team willing to bite at that type of offer since they own 2 picks in the top 10. Problem is, I would really want #3 overall. Lafreniere is going to go 1st overall. Quinton Byfield (6'4" center) and Tim Stutzle (LW, but has played a lot of center) are highly regarded as well. These 3 are seen as the top of the class, and then a drop off after these 3.

If you aren't getting one of those 3, I think the possibility of the 2020 1st round pick of the Penguins making the 20-21 club are extremely slim. I would love to see the Penguins get Byfield or Stutzle, have that player make the club in 20-21, play on the 3rd line for a year or 2, but have the ability to take over as the #2 center when Malkin becomes a UFA. Even if Malkin resigns, maybe move Malkin to wing. But I think the likelihood of the Penguins moving to #3 is very, very small.

According to Corey Pronman of the Athletic, Center Anton Lindell and LW Lukas Reichel are the names most commonly tied to Pittsburgh if they keep the #15 pick.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 am

of course he went to the rangers, them and the devils lucked out last year and now the rangers luck out this year.(and are looking pretty stacked at wing, already added pannarin and kakko this past year, now lafreniere). Metro remains by far the toughest in all of hockey
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 am

FLPensFan wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Looking big picture, I think Ottawa could be interested in Murray, and, they might be a team willing to bite at that type of offer since they own 2 picks in the top 10. Problem is, I would really want #3 overall. Lafreniere is going to go 1st overall. Quinton Byfield (6'4" center) and Tim Stutzle (LW, but has played a lot of center) are highly regarded as well. These 3 are seen as the top of the class, and then a drop off after these 3.

If you aren't getting one of those 3, I think the possibility of the 2020 1st round pick of the Penguins making the 20-21 club are extremely slim. I would love to see the Penguins get Byfield or Stutzle, have that player make the club in 20-21, play on the 3rd line for a year or 2, but have the ability to take over as the #2 center when Malkin becomes a UFA. Even if Malkin resigns, maybe move Malkin to wing. But I think the likelihood of the Penguins moving to #3 is very, very small.

According to Corey Pronman of the Athletic, Center Anton Lindell and LW Lukas Reichel are the names most commonly tied to Pittsburgh if they keep the #15 pick.

I would assume if any team drafts someone out of a European league the chances of them playing in the NHL next season is zero. Since Europe has handled the virus better i would expect those pro leagues to start on time, and would be well into their season before NHL training camps begin.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I'm not sure we have enough to get that 3rd overall, sadly. Murray and the 15th and what else? The cupboards are bare in terms of prospects. Something like Addison may have gotten it done but he's gone.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:13 pm

The fact we cannot give our 15th overall and 2-time Stanley Cup Winning goalie away for a top 10 (moving up 5 positions) is the EXACT reason you do not draft a goalie with the 15th overall pick. It would be a waste.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:45 pm

pens_CT wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I don’t follow junior hockey at all. I see a mock draft with Columbus at #15 taking Dawson Mercer. Anyone know anything about him?

FWIW the Athletic has a mock draft up and they have them taking Anton Lundell a Center out of Finland. He already plays in the top men's league over there.

Not shocking I've seen a lot of quotes like "hes close to plug and play" as well as "While there may be some concerns about his offensive ceiling, Lundell’s complete game makes him a safe pick if the floor is a third-line centre."

To me that seems like if drafted he could be close to nhl ready being that he's playing pro hockey in Finland
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:06 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I don’t follow junior hockey at all. I see a mock draft with Columbus at #15 taking Dawson Mercer. Anyone know anything about him?

FWIW the Athletic has a mock draft up and they have them taking Anton Lundell a Center out of Finland. He already plays in the top men's league over there.

Not shocking I've seen a lot of quotes like "hes close to plug and play" as well as "While there may be some concerns about his offensive ceiling, Lundell’s complete game makes him a safe pick if the floor is a third-line centre."

To me that seems like if drafted he could be close to nhl ready being that he's playing pro hockey in Finland

You don’t pick a guy though in the first round, top half no less, who projects as a low ceiling bottom six player...the Pens need to shoot for greatness...Pastrnak was picked #25, Aho at #35, Barzal at #16...they need players who think fast and play fast, so hockey IQ and skating is most important in both forwards and D men...hopefully they don’t ruin this pick by selecting Lundell
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Ericf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

You don’t pick a guy though in the first round, top half no less, who projects as a low ceiling bottom six player...the Pens need to shoot for greatness...Pastrnak was picked #25, Aho at #35, Barzal at #16...they need players who think fast and play fast, so hockey IQ and skating is most important in both forwards and D men...hopefully they don’t ruin this pick by selecting Lundell

If they view McCann as a winger and Lundell’s floor is 3rd line center, I’d have no issues with this pick. He seems to have good hockey IQ and seems like a good skater (though highlights are not a great way to know this). He projects to be a 2nd line center from what I’ve read and if that’s the case a good IQ 3rd line center that will grow offensively sounds like a pretty nice player.

While my opinion is that Blueger can get a nice 3rd line center that can chip in enough offense in the role and they seem to need wingers more, I wouldn’t argue this pick If they feel McCann is better off at wing.

Either way, I think this draft pick needs to be a slam dunk blue chipper, even if we wait a year or so for him to emerge, so maybe a high IQ defensive forward that can grow offensively can end up being that pick? This team has always scored so don’t really need to draft a flashy player. We always haven’t seen a lot of reliable defensive centers. This guy kinda reads like Jordan Staal only shorter and a better skater.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:44 pm

Is say the only positions we don’t need to take best players available are goalie since that should be shored up for a few years and LW with Jake and Zucker being only 25 and 28. We need to be looking for an immediate top 6 RW and even that’s not dire with Legare and Poulin both able to play that side.

We really need to start thinking about a replacement for Malkin when his contract is up after two more seasons. He won’t be worth signing them for what the market will want to pay him and we have zero top end depth at center. Even Laferniere wouldn’t fix this team since he’s a wing.

I want to draft a stud WHL or OHL right handed center that’s already big and strong. Unfortunately they are all
Lefties in the first round mocks so give me Connor Zary. Seems to check all the boxes and should be NHL top 6 ready in 3 years and could make the Pens out of camp if he grew at all and gained some muscle.

Him, Poulin and Legare as a 3rd line as soon as this fall would be insane but would be going full on into a youth movement that I wouldn’t mind it too much.

I like what I see about Lundell but I doubt he gets past the top 5 let alone #15
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:15 pm

McCann hasn't scored a goal in 25 games, almost a 3rd of a season. I dont know how you can keep him around.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins