Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

GMJR Press conference quotes

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

GMJR Press conference quotes

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Here's a summary of quotes from GMJR from today's press conference. Quotes taken off Twitter from Official Pens Account, Yohe, PensInsider, Pens Inside Scoop, SethR, etc:

--"We had a good regular season and dealt with adversity and got through that. You look at that and give credit in the right places. You also have to look at what happened here at the end of these last two seasons and there's a pattern here."

(Mike Sullivan responded to this question in Toronto in the exact opposite way. Sullivan: “I don’t think (the trend) adds up.")

--"My concern is when things don't go our way, we start to fizzle out and we don't have that same drive and determination that we should have and need to have. Based on that, I'm looking at everything now."

--We get to certain points in playoff series and we're not the same team. We don't have the same drive as we get closer to elimination...there's something wrong if you don't have that drive to win at that point in the series...it's very disappointing.

--"I plan to move forward with the core. These are good players. They still have good hockey left in them. I always have to say, if some amazing trade comes along, you have to look at it, but I will not actively be looking at trying to trade our core players."

--it was so disappointing in game 4 to see where we are at, you are waiting for the desperation and it didn't come. There is something wrong if you don't have that drive to win in the series. Changes need to be made.

--on Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry: "It's going to be difficult to keep both. Everybody understands that given the cap."

--“There is something wrong. Changes need to be made.”

--“I know everybody picks on Jack and they have for a long time, but I think, in that pairing, Justin Schultz had a lot more to give.” :shock: :shock: :shock:
(Wow, just placing all the blame there on Schultz. Yes, he played bad, but my god man acknowledge some failures by Johnson. I guess chalk this up to Schultz walking as a UFA while Johnson is still on the roster, but, still.... :face: )

--"This could be a year where we try to get younger, but in a way that we feel we can still win. Bringing some new, young energy in. We're going to have to make some changes because of the cap."

--"Sid's leadership never changes and his approach never changes. I have no concerns there. I think we do need a little more out of some of the other guys."

--"Are they in a position to still give that leadership, whether it's by example on the ice or in the room verbally, or do we need some other guys to step up and do more? Maybe it's better to have younger, more eager guys. That's part of what I'm trying to weigh."

--"I had a couple of conversations with the owners as I always do at this point of year. Very fortunate to work with these guys, who understand how this works and have very high standards. Theirs have not changed and mine have not changed.

--"We're here to be a contending team and win a Cup. That being said, we recognize that window starts to get smaller and smaller, but that it's still open and still doable."

--there are a number of things that need to change: "Different ideas. Different approach. Younger, determined players. ... Fixing the power play. ... It's so frustrating to watch us go time and time again and not get good scoring chances."
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GMJR Press conference quotes

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm

--“I know everybody picks on Jack and they have for a long time, but I think, in that pairing, Justin Schultz had a lot more to give.” :shock: :shock: :shock:
(Wow, just placing all the blame there on Schultz. Yes, he played bad, but my god man acknowledge some failures by Johnson. I guess chalk this up to Schultz walking as a UFA while Johnson is still on the roster, but, still.... :face: )

Thought that initially as well but I think he is just trying to save some of his value so he can hopefully move him.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm

"This could be a year where we try to get younger, but in a way that we feel we can still win. Bringing some new, young energy in. We're going to have to make some changes because of the cap."

This screams moving Hornqvist to me.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:49 pm

He is still in denial over Johnson.

Reading between the lines, I think there will changes made to the coaching staff. I think Sullivan stays unless there is an issue between the coach and 71. Usually when there's a dispute between one of the star players and the coach, the coach is the one shown the door.

I guess the question is if they do fire Sullivan, do they go for Laviolette or do the promote Vellucci from WBS?
Last edited by pens_CT on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 pm

--"My concern is when things don't go our way, we start to fizzle out and we don't have that same drive and determination that we should have and need to have. Based on that, I'm looking at everything now."

That includes part of the core. But then he defends the core. :shrug:
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:00 pm

I do not believe that everything players/coaches/management/owners say in interviews is truth. I do believe that a lot is just word service.

However... He stresses that the team fizzles and loses drive. He discusses getting younger. Yet he also stresses that he plans to move forward with the core.

So who is losing the drive? 4th liners and 3rd pair guys? If so, who cares. It is those core guys that lose the drive. If you want to address the fissile you need to address the core.

You want to get younger? The oldest player still under contract is Malkin, 34. Hornqvist, Johnson, Letang are 3 months apart as 2-3-4th oldest, then Crosby, all 33. 3 of your 5 oldest are your core. Dumoulin is the next oldest player of value, and he is 28, ie: not old. If you want to get younger, you need to address the core.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:05 pm

A late quote I missed earlier:

"Usually when you’re trying to fix the power play, you’re searching and you’re saying, we need to go out and find a player or two. We’ve got enough guys on the power play that can be successful."

Mark Recchi, the tribe has spoken...

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ahawk9 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Jim wrote:I do not believe that everything players/coaches/management/owners say in interviews is truth. I do believe that a lot is just word service.

However... He stresses that the team fizzles and loses drive. He discusses getting younger. Yet he also stresses that he plans to move forward with the core.

So who is losing the drive? 4th liners and 3rd pair guys? If so, who cares. It is those core guys that lose the drive. If you want to address the fissile you need to address the core.

You want to get younger? The oldest player still under contract is Malkin, 34. Hornqvist, Johnson, Letang are 3 months apart as 2-3-4th oldest, then Crosby, all 33. 3 of your 5 oldest are your core. Dumoulin is the next oldest player of value, and he is 28, ie: not old. If you want to get younger, you need to address the core.

Well said! I don't see how he can say he's keeping the Core right after talking about fizzling, which can be attributed to most of the Core.. The Steelers held on to guys too long in the late '70s (man, I'm old!), and it really cost them for years afterward.
ahawk9

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Moving Hornqvist certainly helps the age and cap side, but also certainly hurts the energy and leadership side.

I still hold that Johnson was a 100% Crosby signing. I feel that promises were made and Rutherford does not want to go against Crosby, and maybe even Lemieux.

I think that if Johnson retires, the Pens would face three years of $500K cap hit. Offer him a high paying scout job and get him to retire.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:34 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:--“I know everybody picks on Jack and they have for a long time, but I think, in that pairing, Justin Schultz had a lot more to give.” :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thought that initially as well but I think he is just trying to save some of his value so he can hopefully move him.

The first step is Schultz walking. The way I see that, Schultz's contract is up and he is open to anyone.

The second step is resolving Johnson. Johnson is picked on because he is not the best defenseman and has a record of making costly errors. Either he departs in a trade, or he clears waivers and find himself with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Blames the core.

Says the core is not the problem.

So it's the other 15 players not buying in? Then that's a coaching problem.

Nobody got blame here except Justin Schultz.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:A late quote I missed earlier:

"Usually when you’re trying to fix the power play, you’re searching and you’re saying, we need to go out and find a player or two. We’ve got enough guys on the power play that can be successful."

Mark Recchi, the tribe has spoken...

Recchi is useful as a player development coach, not an assistant coach. Reassign him to a development coaching position and keep him away from the bench during games.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:--on Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry: "It's going to be difficult to keep both. Everybody understands that given the cap."

It will be difficult to retain both Murray and Jarry indeed. Murray was hot when he outplayed Fleury. The temperature of his play has become cold. It is time to move on.

FLPensFan wrote:--"I plan to move forward with the core. These are good players. They still have good hockey left in them. I always have to say, if some amazing trade comes along, you have to look at it, but I will not actively be looking at trying to trade our core players."

Who all is considered the core going into 2020-2021? Crosby, Malkin, and Letang would be that core. Is Guentzel, Marino, and other players part of that core?

FLPensFan wrote:--"it was so disappointing in game 4 to see where we are at, you are waiting for the desperation and it didn't come. There is something wrong if you don't have that drive to win in the series. Changes need to be made."

--“There is something wrong. Changes need to be made.”

"Changes need to be made" is talking talk. "Changes will be made" is walking walks and doing dos. It is time to see walks walked and dos done as "changes will be made".
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Anything on the 1st rounder, ie us keeping it?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:48 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Anything on the 1st rounder, ie us keeping it?

Penguins have 7 days to decide, so, by next Monday. I would be downright shocked and horrified if the Penguins didn't keep it. This is said to be a deep draft, and better at forward. Next year is not supposed to be as strong of a draft, and a bit heavier on defensemen.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Penguins have 7 days to decide, so, by next Monday. I would be downright shocked and horrified if the Penguins didn't keep it. This is said to be a deep draft, and better at forward. Next year is not supposed to be as strong of a draft, and a bit heavier on defensemen.

Exactly I haven't seen 1 good reason not to keep the pick. Which is why I was hoping he'd have said we are keeping it during the press conference
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:10 pm

ville5 wrote:--"My concern is when things don't go our way, we start to fizzle out and we don't have that same drive and determination that we should have and need to have. Based on that, I'm looking at everything now."

That includes part of the core. But then he defends the core. :shrug:

There is nothing he can do about core. Do people not get that? Sid and Mario both want Geno to retire here and he deserves it. Letang doesn’t have that much value. It’s a pandemic and the cap is frozen, nobody is taking his $7.25 mil cap hit and returning anything of value. The team played without push because Sullivan didn’t want them to make mistakes in Montreal’s trap that would lead to scoring chances, so he had them sit back. Jesse Marshall has an excellent tweet on this. If JR is upset with how they played Game 4, blame the coach. But no, Sullivan’s job is safe. That’s the mistake. The whole coaching staff needs to go.

https://twitter.com/jmarshfof/status/12 ... 4314056704

Also, see Bombulie

https://twitter.com/BombulieTrib/status ... 4258345985
Last edited by Ericf on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crash66 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:12 pm

Was that GMJR or Charlie Brown's teacher? Couldn't tell the difference.
Crash66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:21 pm

When he says fizzle I think he means they don’t adjust, have no game plan for teams sitting back and trapping and don’t play fast anymore. We need system changes, via a coach willing to change or a new coach and some hungry youth. Not from Hungary- they don’t produce good players, but you know - hungry!
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Which positions(s) is/are deep in the 2020 draft? The answer could trigger my thought about packaging Murray and Johnson for a draft trade.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:28 pm

We remember Ray Shero held onto Blysma for a year longer than he should have. I hope GM Jim is wiser. Coach Sullivan didn't make adjustments last year or this year. He didn't use the short leash on Matt Murray.
His post game comments really bizarre. Happy with Evgeni's game~ he is playing the right way.
He mentioned net front presence after game 1, but didn't send Hornqvist out with the first unit.

I didn't like hearing GM Jim say that the pens deserved to win game 1. It is time he sees the pens as they really are currently- skilled, smallish, teetering on old, and average. Game 4, they looked feeble.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 pm

If the Penguins advanced out of the qualifying round, then the answer to the question would be delayed. As they have an earlier offeason, keeping the first round pick would be smart.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40 pm

At least Poulin and Legare are legit prospects and fix some of the younger issues. But this is the same guy who thought fixing the Caps series loss was moving a center that we needed and a 1st rounder for Reaves and almost every move since has been made to fix self inflicted wounds of mistake after mistake. I don’t have trust that he will fix anything unless we can move a heavy old contract with Murray and still get something decent back.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 100565 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:43 pm

penny lane wrote:We remember Ray Shero held onto Blysma for a year longer than he should have. I hope GM Jim is wiser. .

too late. :lol:

I am (was) a supporter of GMJR. He has made some iffy signings, but nothing that has crippled the team from a cap point of view. Sure, JJ is bad - but it is only $3.25mil. Some trades, iffy...but no one bats 1.000 in pro sports GMing.

I will not be a supporter of GMJR if he keeps Sully as coach. It is crystal clear; it is time for a new coach. It was time last offseason...but as a two time cup winner, ya gottta give him a long leash. Now, no excuses. It is bad GMing if Sully is still the coach.

Again, I thin Sully is great coach - just not here anymore.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Can non-playoff teams make trades between each other now?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins