Black Wednesday behind the bench

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Black Wednesday behind the bench

Postby Jim on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:56 pm

I'd ask Malkin what teams he would be okay with.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:10 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I dont often agree with MM but this is a valid point

"If you want to get their attention, you have to shoot a hostage. Firing assistant coaches doesn’t suffice.

It’s possible for the Penguins to contend by keeping the core intact. But it’s far from probable."

If this team returns with Crosby Malkin and Letang on the roster itll be another one and done playoffs.

If you think you can trade Crosby, Malkin, or Letang, and get a younger, cheaper, comparable talent in return either from the trade itself or via free agency then you do it. The only one of the three that you could possibly move and fit that criteria is Letang. Otherwise if all you want to do is get younger, then move all three and the team will be in NHL draft lottery for the next 5 years or so.

Id trade Letang and look to implement a new structured system.

I would trade Letang and the rest of the high priced defense and go with a low-priced crap defensive core and spend the savings on offensive help. Its really no different than what we have had over the years with the exception this new plan saves money and allows you to load up on forwards.

I guess you consider Dumoulin and Pettersson at 4 million high price, even though those guys salaries rank 75 and 78th among defenseman in the league. So if you don't like those numbers you better be able to constantly feed defenseman on entry level on to the NHL roster, otherwise you're dumpster diving for UFA guys who'll work for cheap and end up with the Matt Hunwicks of the world.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 pm

There's an old joke in program management called "Make 3 envelopes".

The new guy in charge sat down at the desk of his predecessor. Inside he found a note from him and 3 sealed envelopes. He put them aside and concentrated on his work.

Things went well for a time but then started to go south. He remembered the 1st envelope and opened it. Inside there was a note that said "Blame your predecessor".

He did that. It bought him time to make some changes that seemed to make an improvement. Eventually though, things again began to go badly. He remembered the 2nd envelope and opened it. Inside it said "Reorganize".

He re-organized things and that also worked for awhile. But once more, things began failing. In desperation, he opened the final envelope. Inside was a note that said "Make 3 envelopes". :lol:

Are we there yet? I think we might be.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:33 pm

pens_CT wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I dont often agree with MM but this is a valid point

"If you want to get their attention, you have to shoot a hostage. Firing assistant coaches doesn’t suffice.

It’s possible for the Penguins to contend by keeping the core intact. But it’s far from probable."

If this team returns with Crosby Malkin and Letang on the roster itll be another one and done playoffs.

If you think you can trade Crosby, Malkin, or Letang, and get a younger, cheaper, comparable talent in return either from the trade itself or via free agency then you do it. The only one of the three that you could possibly move and fit that criteria is Letang. Otherwise if all you want to do is get younger, then move all three and the team will be in NHL draft lottery for the next 5 years or so.

Id trade Letang and look to implement a new structured system.

I would trade Letang and the rest of the high priced defense and go with a low-priced crap defensive core and spend the savings on offensive help. Its really no different than what we have had over the years with the exception this new plan saves money and allows you to load up on forwards.

I guess you consider Dumoulin and Pettersson at 4 million high price, even though those guys salaries rank 75 and 78th among defenseman in the league. So if you don't like those numbers you better be able to constantly feed defenseman on entry level on to the NHL roster, otherwise you're dumpster diving for UFA guys who'll work for cheap and end up with the Matt Hunwicks of the world.

Ummm. Yes! I would gladly take a few Matt Hunwicks for defense if the savings meant we could add guys like Hall or Dadonov in the offseason or bring in a better option via a trade for Letang. I dont see a huge drop in quality from Hunwick to Petterrsson. Or a huge drop off from Jack Johnson to someone like Ruhwedel.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:03 pm

You're nuts
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Oh brother. Sullivan says someone has to take responsibility and it starts with me.......and then we fire everyone but him. What a joke.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:58 am

Antonio wrote:Oh brother. Sullivan says someone has to take responsibility and it starts with me.......and then we fire everyone but him. What a joke.

I doubt it is a joke. Did Sullivan have the right assistant coaches in place to win presently? Possibly not.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:50 am

The point was that the missed firing 1 more coach. The one where the responsibility supposedly started.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins