2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Cim2217 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:26 am

I enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts on who will be traded away, who comes back our way, FA signings, and potential draft picks etc.

I just read an article stating Max Domi is the first name tied to the Penguins as a potential trade target. Not the first time that’s been mentioned over the years. The article states Domi is centering MTL’s 4th line, and may be expendable with the emergence of MTL’s young centers Suzuki, and Kotkanemi.

Who wants this trade to go down? Do we have the trade chips to bring Domi in? Will Domi be another player who gets traded here and never gets going ala Perron/Pearson/Brassard/Galchenyuk?
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby ville5 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Cim2217 wrote:I enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts on who will be traded away, who comes back our way, FA signings, and potential draft picks etc.

I just read an article stating Max Domi is the first name tied to the Penguins as a potential trade target. Not the first time that’s been mentioned over the years. The article states Domi is centering MTL’s 4th line, and may be expendable with the emergence of MTL’s young centers Suzuki, and Kotkanemi.

Who wants this trade to go down? Do we have the trade chips to bring Domi in? Will Domi be another player who gets traded here and never gets going ala Perron/Pearson/Brassard/Galchenyuk?

Is Bjugstad or McCann ++ an acceptable return for Bergevin? If so, do it.
Would Domi cost the 15th overall or Poulin or POJ? Forget about it.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 pm

(Toronto) Andersen/Murray (Pittsburgh)

Very dumb rumor.

Murray should get better return. We have Jarry/DeSmith for next year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:41 pm

Pitts wrote:(Toronto) Andersen/Murray (Pittsburgh)

Very dumb rumor.

What-his-face that came up with it openly admitted that he made it up himself yet Toronto fans are running with it. Probably because it is logical from the Leafs' side, even though 0% logical from the Pens side.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:04 pm

ville5 wrote:
Cim2217 wrote:I enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts on who will be traded away, who comes back our way, FA signings, and potential draft picks etc.

Is Bjugstad or McCann ++ an acceptable return for Bergevin? If so, do it.
Would Domi cost the 15th overall or Poulin or POJ? Forget about it.

To me, McCann, Riikola, and a 3rd/4th OR something like a Bellerive would be sufficient.

I would not consider moving Poulin or POJ. If Montreal wanted Legare straight up for Domi, I would consider it. Legare is still a few years away and, while he has a great shot, he seems to be lacking in other important areas like defense and skating....leads me to believe he has a high chance of washing out.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:(Toronto) Andersen/Murray (Pittsburgh)

Very dumb rumor.

What-his-face that came up with it openly admitted that he made it up himself yet Toronto fans are running with it. Probably because it is logical from the Leafs' side, even though 0% logical from the Pens side.

Correct. Makes no sense. Penguins have ZERO need for Andersen and his salary. Taking Andersen back is just making the trade work for Toronto, and not giving anything Pittsburgh anything of real value in return. It's a dumb Canadian media trade idea.

Now, if Toronto would do Murray and Jack Johnson for Andersen and Kapanen and a 2nd/3rd OR retain on Andersen, then MAYBE I would consider it.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 pm

Murray to Minnesota for parts unknown. Suggested by Dave Molinari, after Guerin said he intends to upgrade his goaltending this offseason and Guerin obviously being hooked into the Penguins.

There were some suggestions here of Murray for Dubnyk, which, to me is just like the Toronto deal. We have no need for a goalie in return.

However, if Minnesota wanted to do, say Murray and Jack Johnson for Dubnyk, Brodin, and Greenway...yeah, sure, maybe.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cim2217 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Murray to Minnesota for parts unknown. Suggested by Dave Molinari, after Guerin said he intends to upgrade his goaltending this offseason and Guerin obviously being hooked into the Penguins.

There were some suggestions here of Murray for Dubnyk, which, to me is just like the Toronto deal. We have no need for a goalie in return.

However, if Minnesota wanted to do, say Murray and Jack Johnson for Dubnyk, Brodin, and Greenway...yeah, sure, maybe.

I think Minnesota makes a ton of sense as a destination for Murray. GMBG made it clear he wants to upgrade the goalie position. Not familiar with Greenway. He’s 6’6, is he a grinder/power forward type that can punch in 10-15 goals and wear down the other team with physical play?
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:03 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Murray to Minnesota for parts unknown. Suggested by Dave Molinari, after Guerin said he intends to upgrade his goaltending this offseason and Guerin obviously being hooked into the Penguins.

I think Minnesota would rather cut ties with Dumba instead of Brodin. However unless you're moving Letang somewhere else adding Dumba doesn't make much sense based on his salary, and the fact he plays the right side.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

pens_CT wrote:

I think Minnesota would rather cut ties with Dumba instead of Brodin. However unless you're moving Letang somewhere else adding Dumba doesn't make much sense based on his salary, and the fact he plays the right side.

Dumba is a right shot, Brodin is a left. Do they both play the right side? I think the preference is for a RHD to play bottom pairing correct?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm sorry, how much for a 4th line center?
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Dumba is a right shot, Brodin is a left. Do they both play the right side? I think the preference is for a RHD to play bottom pairing correct?

Brodin plays the left side as far as I know, and you know Sullivan would play Dumba on the right, which is probably the better spot for him. My point was if you get Dumba, you're not going to pay a guy 6 million to play on the third pairing.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:36 pm

pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Brodin plays the left side as far as I know, and you know Sullivan would play Dumba on the right, which is probably the better spot for him. My point was if you get Dumba, you're not going to pay a guy 6 million to play on the third pairing.

I agree with you, the long term pairing could very well be POJ and Marino so why not try it as you 3rd pairing and split time evenly?

Letang shouldn't be playing 25-26 minutes a night. Roll 3 defensive pairings and get Letang's minutes down to 21-22 tops
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 100565 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:55 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I agree with you, the long term pairing could very well be POJ and Marino so why not try it as you 3rd pairing and split time evenly?

Letang shouldn't be playing 25-26 minutes a night. Roll 3 defensive pairings and get Letang's minutes down to 21-22 tops

I like this. When healthy (lol), go with three pairs splitting time. With injuries, still have good top 4.

When the D plays well, so does the O.

I would take Dumba, Marino, Letang, Petterson, Dumo, and POJ.

Murray alone does not get Dumba, though...assuming Murray wants $5.5mil minimum.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:20 am

100565 wrote:
I like this. When healthy (lol), go with three pairs splitting time. With injuries, still have good top 4.

When the D plays well, so does the O.

I would take Dumba, Marino, Letang, Petterson, Dumo, and POJ.

Murray alone does not get Dumba, though...assuming Murray wants $5.5mil minimum.

Letang, Marino, and Dumba would never work, though. Marino is too skilled to be playing 3rd pairing. Penguins have learned that already in one season. He's too good to play there. They need him on the 2nd pairing. Same would go for Dumba. He's a 2/3 defenseman. He needs to be on 2nd pairing. He's used to playing 20-23 minutes a night. He makes 6M. You can't shove him onto the 3rd pairing. You'll never get your moneys worth out of him.

Dumba only works in Pittsburgh if Letang is gone. Then Marino or Dumba slide up to 1st pair.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:39 am

Wy not try to make a bigge trade and send Murray, Letang and JJ, and get Dubnyk, Dumba and Brodin .... and then some small parts more maybe?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:10 am

John Carlson (Norris candidate) is -6 after two games. Hockey in the dome is weird. I think the Caps need to trade him for Jack Johnson.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:41 am

pekkasteele wrote:Wy not try to make a bigge trade and send Murray, Letang and JJ, and get Dubnyk, Dumba and Brodin .... and then some small parts more maybe?

Add Aston-Reese to that and get back Dubnyk (50% retained), Dumba, Brodin, Pens first rounder and Greenway.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:39 am

Steve Dave wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:Wy not try to make a bigge trade and send Murray, Letang and JJ, and get Dubnyk, Dumba and Brodin .... and then some small parts more maybe?

Add Aston-Reese to that and get back Dubnyk (50% retained), Dumba, Brodin, Pens first rounder and Greenway.

The Pens don't need an overpriced goalie. Jarry starting and DeSmith backing up is fine
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:28 am

Can the pens get bigger? Somebody on wing who tops 6'2" ? Over six feet? Maybe Coach Sullivan doesn't want tall folks.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Cim2217 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:16 pm

When GMRS took over, his goal was to make us harder to play against. He went out and got the best agitator in the game in Ruutu, got Dominic Moore, Ronald Petrovicky, and eventually Matt Cooke, Gary Roberts, and George Laraque.

I’ve always loved watching those kind of players do their thing on the ice all the while, being able to contribute with some occasional offense.

That’s why I loved the Tanev signing as he plays physical, and isn’t abysmal in other areas.

All that being said, I wouldn’t mind seeing GMJR sign Matt Martin to a reasonable contract and put him on the bottom 6.
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The U on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 am

Cim2217 wrote:When GMRS took over, his goal was to make us harder to play against. He went out and got the best agitator in the game in Ruutu, got Dominic Moore, Ronald Petrovicky, and eventually Matt Cooke, Gary Roberts, and George Laraque.

I’ve always loved watching those kind of players do their thing on the ice all the while, being able to contribute with some occasional offense.

That’s why I loved the Tanev signing as he plays physical, and isn’t abysmal in other areas.

All that being said, I wouldn’t mind seeing GMJR sign Matt Martin to a reasonable contract and put him on the bottom 6.

Those types of players all brought energy and an identity to the team. Nowadays saying you want tougher/bigger/physical players seems to be taboo. I will say this, watching a team that brings absolutely zero physicality to a hockey game is less entertaining to watch. We all watch for entertainment purposes so the fact that this team is not as fun to watch anymore is a bummer.

One of my biggest issues with the current roster is that there is almost ZERO physicality. You can’t play a contact sport and lose sight of the fact that part of the game is hitting. Hitting creates turnovers, makes defensemen rush passes, creates space, knocks guys down or takes them out of the play to create odd man chances, etc... As a defenseman playing against the Pens you don’t have to rush a pass or worry about retrieving a puck. We dump the puck in, race toward the wall, swing our stick at the puck and leave. Too easy for the other team. No stress, no fear. As an opposing forward you don’t have to keep your head up, you don’t have to worry about getting decked in front of our net. Again...no fear and too easy.

These things don’t always directly correlate to wins and losses but they are pieces that are part of the larger puzzle.

The entire team seems like they are 5’10 and 180lbs. They play like it. Note that I haven’t mentioned Fighting. I don’t think that matters at all anymore. It’s more about laying hits, playing with energy, and banging bodies to create chances and eliminate chances. The Pens have lacked so much energy and emotion over the last 2 playoff series it strikes me as one of their major issues. Not enough guys with their own identity that bring something unique to the table.

If the roster was constructed with an eye towards being small and soft then mission accomplished. But if you’re small and soft you better be MUCH faster and MUCH more skilled than your opponent. Unfortunately that’s not the case. The Pens rarely look to have the speed/quickness edge anymore. And if you are small/soft and going to turn the other cheek during physical games you better make the opponent pay on the PP.

So what do we hang our hats on? What is our competitive advantage? We are smaller/softer/slower/less skilled/less energetic than the other playoff-caliber teams?
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm

The U wrote:
Cim2217 wrote:When GMRS took over, his goal was to make us harder to play against. He went out and got the best agitator in the game in Ruutu, got Dominic Moore, Ronald Petrovicky, and eventually Matt Cooke, Gary Roberts, and George Laraque.

Those types of players all brought energy and an identity to the team. Nowadays saying you want tougher/bigger/physical players seems to be taboo. I will say this, watching a team that brings absolutely zero physicality to a hockey game is less entertaining to watch. We all watch for entertainment purposes so the fact that this team is not as fun to watch anymore is a bummer.

One of my biggest issues with the current roster is that there is almost ZERO physicality. You can’t play a contact sport and lose sight of the fact that part of the game is hitting. Hitting creates turnovers, makes defensemen rush passes, creates space, knocks guys down or takes them out of the play to create odd man chances, etc... As a defenseman playing against the Pens you don’t have to rush a pass or worry about retrieving a puck. We dump the puck in, race toward the wall, swing our stick at the puck and leave. Too easy for the other team. No stress, no fear. As an opposing forward you don’t have to keep your head up, you don’t have to worry about getting decked in front of our net. Again...no fear and too easy.

These things don’t always directly correlate to wins and losses but they are pieces that are part of the larger puzzle.

The entire team seems like they are 5’10 and 180lbs. They play like it. Note that I haven’t mentioned Fighting. I don’t think that matters at all anymore. It’s more about laying hits, playing with energy, and banging bodies to create chances and eliminate chances. The Pens have lacked so much energy and emotion over the last 2 playoff series it strikes me as one of their major issues. Not enough guys with their own identity that bring something unique to the table.

If the roster was constructed with an eye towards being small and soft then mission accomplished. But if you’re small and soft you better be MUCH faster and MUCH more skilled than your opponent. Unfortunately that’s not the case. The Pens rarely look to have the speed/quickness edge anymore. And if you are small/soft and going to turn the other cheek during physical games you better make the opponent pay on the PP.

So what do we hang our hats on? What is our competitive advantage? We are smaller/softer/slower/less skilled/less energetic than the other playoff-caliber teams?

Great summation of a poorly constructed roster!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:19 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
The U wrote:

That is what the coach wanted...JR would definitely like to add muscle. We all remember how the Reaves situation went down...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm

KG wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
The U wrote:

That is what the coach wanted...JR would definitely like to add muscle. We all remember how the Reaves situation went down...

This is also what a lot of others on this board wanted too. The "we need 4 lines with speed that can score." Any time a bigger more physical forward was suggested, they were quickly dismissed as not being part of the new NHL. I guess it took two early playoff exits for people to realize that so now they seem much more willing to add those type of players.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins