2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Teams get 1st and good prospects for 2nd tier rentals. Malkin could bring a haul.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:50 pm

iceolater wrote:
Ericf wrote:
iceolater wrote:Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.

It’s delusional to think we’re getting a future young star for 34 year old Malkin and 33 year old Letang. We’re not getting anyone back who’s as good or better at their positions, and who’s going to help Sid win another Cup in the next few years. That’s the reality. The Pens won’t get back another 2L center (who’s really a first) or another RD who can play 24 minutes. That’s the reality. They have to do what they’ve been doing (and what Boston and Philly did), which is build around them. Unfortunately the GM is listening to a stale coach and neither of them are putting successful personnel and schemes around them. We should have been keeping our first round picks for the last three years

No it's not delusional to think we can't get someone back if we trade them. What is delusional is to think we just waste our time away and over pay these 2 knuckle heads because we don't want to break apart the big 3. This is a business. It sure is not run like one but a team that is run on emotions because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. They have had good players around them...Letang just keeps his partner out to dry by cheating all the time and allowing mega 2 on 1's. I would take a Hayes and a Patrick over Malkin any day. The big question is, how much longer is Sid going to put up with it? His time is nearing the end. Wonder if he would like to end his career with a team like Montreal and another chance to win 1 more cup before he is done. I just don't see it happening under the Pens Management and Ownership.

I totally get your point, iceolater. I have had a similar viewpoint at times regarding the big 3. The 100% fan only side wants to see all 3 retire as Penguins. The problem there is, I think anyone is kidding themselves if they expect those 3 to be a competitive team in their late 30's. They need help, but they eat up too much salary to get them the help they need. So, if you want to watch the Big 3 ride off into the sunset together, it'll likely be with only random, if any, playoff appearances.

My true mix of fan, realist, and understanding the business side tells me that the Penguins would be wise to investigate, moving one, if not both of Malkin and Letang. Good NHL centermen are hard to find. The Penguins really don't have any in their system, and if the Penguins put themselves in a situation where they lose Crosby and Malkin at the same time, they are going to be in bad shape. With Malkin going public about his desire to become the only Russian-born player to win 4 Cups, if the Penguins are on the outside looking in this year or next year, Malkin may be more open to waiving his NTC and going elsewhere. I think this team can move on from Malkin and/or Letang, and shorten the length of their "bad seasons" while they transition into a new era. Penguins aren't going to get extreme hauls for Malkin/Letang, but for teams in the right situation (team on the rise, strong contending team loses key C/D down the stretch, etc), the Penguins should be able to get some additional draft capital (rounds 1-3) and some youngish players to help transition to the new era. You aren't going to be trading Malkin to Minnesota for Kaprizov, but you might be able to get a high A/B level prospect and some other assets for him. Same for Letang.

To me, there are two trains of thought, and, neither is wrong, but, to me, one is a much smarter option from a business point of view:

1. Be loyal to your superstars. Let them all playout their careers in Pittsburgh, even if that means never being a strong Cup contender while they are here.
2. Move 1 or 2 of your Big 3. Get some pieces to help you begin the transition into the next phase of Pittsburgh Penguins hockey without 87/71/58.

The problem is, the team needs to be willing to admit the window is closed. And while it sometimes looks shut and caulked shut for extra assurance, the team still believes it is open.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
iceolater wrote:
Ericf wrote:
iceolater wrote:Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.

It’s delusional to think we’re getting a future young star for 34 year old Malkin and 33 year old Letang. We’re not getting anyone back who’s as good or better at their positions, and who’s going to help Sid win another Cup in the next few years. That’s the reality. The Pens won’t get back another 2L center (who’s really a first) or another RD who can play 24 minutes. That’s the reality. They have to do what they’ve been doing (and what Boston and Philly did), which is build around them. Unfortunately the GM is listening to a stale coach and neither of them are putting successful personnel and schemes around them. We should have been keeping our first round picks for the last three years

No it's not delusional to think we can't get someone back if we trade them. What is delusional is to think we just waste our time away and over pay these 2 knuckle heads because we don't want to break apart the big 3. This is a business. It sure is not run like one but a team that is run on emotions because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. They have had good players around them...Letang just keeps his partner out to dry by cheating all the time and allowing mega 2 on 1's. I would take a Hayes and a Patrick over Malkin any day. The big question is, how much longer is Sid going to put up with it? His time is nearing the end. Wonder if he would like to end his career with a team like Montreal and another chance to win 1 more cup before he is done. I just don't see it happening under the Pens Management and Ownership.

I totally get your point, iceolater. I have had a similar viewpoint at times regarding the big 3. The 100% fan only side wants to see all 3 retire as Penguins. The problem there is, I think anyone is kidding themselves if they expect those 3 to be a competitive team in their late 30's. They need help, but they eat up too much salary to get them the help they need. So, if you want to watch the Big 3 ride off into the sunset together, it'll likely be with only random, if any, playoff appearances.

My true mix of fan, realist, and understanding the business side tells me that the Penguins would be wise to investigate, moving one, if not both of Malkin and Letang. Good NHL centermen are hard to find. The Penguins really don't have any in their system, and if the Penguins put themselves in a situation where they lose Crosby and Malkin at the same time, they are going to be in bad shape. With Malkin going public about his desire to become the only Russian-born player to win 4 Cups, if the Penguins are on the outside looking in this year or next year, Malkin may be more open to waiving his NTC and going elsewhere. I think this team can move on from Malkin and/or Letang, and shorten the length of their "bad seasons" while they transition into a new era. Penguins aren't going to get extreme hauls for Malkin/Letang, but for teams in the right situation (team on the rise, strong contending team loses key C/D down the stretch, etc), the Penguins should be able to get some additional draft capital (rounds 1-3) and some youngish players to help transition to the new era. You aren't going to be trading Malkin to Minnesota for Kaprizov, but you might be able to get a high A/B level prospect and some other assets for him. Same for Letang.

To me, there are two trains of thought, and, neither is wrong, but, to me, one is a much smarter option from a business point of view:

1. Be loyal to your superstars. Let them all playout their careers in Pittsburgh, even if that means never being a strong Cup contender while they are here.
2. Move 1 or 2 of your Big 3. Get some pieces to help you begin the transition into the next phase of Pittsburgh Penguins hockey without 87/71/58.

The problem is, the team needs to be willing to admit the window is closed. And while it sometimes looks shut and caulked shut for extra assurance, the team still believes it is open.

The longer it goes, the more it looks like Tampa post cup 1, with Lecavalier and St.Louis and nothing else.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:24 am

From the last post. Sorry, my phone can't tag to other posts.

No fans to witness games live, plan B seems to make sense. Zero crowd noise chanting a players name, no cardboard signs plastered to the glass, no children pressing their face to the glass during warm-up looking for a puck, no post game stick toss. No one screaming, "Hey, Ovie, you Suck!"

Build for tomorrow? Take your chips from the table and cash out?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby iceolater on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:15 am

Now what? Again, Letang on the ice for 5 goals. Malkin, still not showing anything different from last year and is NOT considered a threat on the ice. This team needs to acknowledge that we will NOT be seeing the playoffs with this roster. Loyalty to these 2 makes you question "What really is going on behind the scenes with the Management?" Because of who they once where in terms of playing the game is more important to feeling like you "owe" them the respect is more important than building this team for the future? Yes, we should have not traded away our draft picks but our future is now. Next thing you will hear is that either Malkin or Crosby will want out to have 1 more shot at the cup with another team. It is NOT our coaching staff. It is the product that is mediocre at best. Our goalie situation is horrible. Our defense is horrible. Our stars with the exception of Sid are horrible. This short season does not allow for slow starts. Tanev is better than Malkin or Letang at a fraction of the cost they are receiving. There is no "Early" pass on this season to regroup and get caught up. Washington is next on the ice to greet this team. At times I wonder why Mario who is part owner of this team, didn't see these happening and us fans saw this all along? Ok, done ranting.....I just feel bad for Sid who lives and breathes Pittsburgh Hockey.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:26 pm

Wasn't everyone gushing over Monster Malkin during camp? Why does everyone forget that Malkin is gonna Malkin?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Wyopen on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:27 pm

One good thing, DeSmith is third in the league a GAA of 1.25.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
iceolater wrote:
Ericf wrote:

I was actually going to type something up this morning regarding this. I think the first thing you do is move Letang no matter the haul.

Regarding Malkin I think it really comes down his intentions. I'd pitch it to him if this team is on the outside looking in that we will trade him to a contender for futures but after his contract expires if he doesn't win the cup would want to bring him back at 50 percent off so they can add a piece with the extra salary. The ball is in both players court with their NMC.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
iceolater wrote:
Ericf wrote:

I was actually going to type something up this morning regarding this. I think the first thing you do is move Letang no matter the haul.

Regarding Malkin I think it really comes down his intentions. I'd pitch it to him if this team is on the outside looking in that we will trade him to a contender for futures but after his contract expires if he doesn't win the cup would want to bring him back at 50 percent off so they can add a piece with the extra salary. The ball is in both players court with their NMC.

The problem with moving Letang is, they don't have a true replacement. And by that I mean, RD is their weaker spot. You have Marino jump up to #1 RD, but then what? Ruhwedel isn't a 2nd pairing guy. Neither is Ceci. Matheson is used to playing his offside, but, Matheson in two games has yet to show me I would ever want to consider doing that, and Sullivan doesn't like using guys on their off-hand.

With Malkin, I think that is a fair strategy. I would kind of do your plan, but more an either/or. If the team is out of playoff contention this year, ask him if he would be willing to waive for a chance for a Cup on another team. If he doesn't get moved this year, or next, you tell him he needs to take a major paycut to return, somewhere around 5-6M AAV.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The problem with moving Letang is, they don't have a true replacement. And by that I mean, RD is their weaker spot. You have Marino jump up to #1 RD, but then what? Ruhwedel isn't a 2nd pairing guy. Neither is Ceci. Matheson is used to playing his offside, but, Matheson in two games has yet to show me I would ever want to consider doing that, and Sullivan doesn't like using guys on their off-hand.

With Malkin, I think that is a fair strategy. I would kind of do your plan, but more an either/or. If the team is out of playoff contention this year, ask him if he would be willing to waive for a chance for a Cup on another team. If he doesn't get moved this year, or next, you tell him he needs to take a major paycut to return, somewhere around 5-6M AAV.

If you can move Letang and get value in season I don't care who they play the rest of the season.

Vatanen is a guy you could target at seasons end as a 2nd pairing RHD
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 pm

So, I did not personally hear it, but, apparently Friedman is saying the Penguins are trying to get Roslovic from Winnipeg. Didn't hear it so I don't know if they are "one of several" or main team pursuing him, but several notable people have stated that Penguins are in on him per Friedman on TV (likely during intermission of one of the games).

Also, if we do decide to look at goalie help, sounds like Howard is no longer an option. According to Friedman, Holland called him up to see if he might have interest in playing, and it appears Howard is already putting things in motion to retire.

EDIT: Exact quote from Friedman appears to be: “Jack Roslovic is unsigned, he’s asked for a trade, he’s not with the #GoJetsGo - Pittsburgh Penguins have started the season 0-2, we know GMJR is not afraid, I also believe they’re one of the teams very interested, we’ll see if there’s a match.”
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Was watching Montreal vs Edmonton on Hockey Night in Canada. In between periods, Friedman said that the Pens were interested in Roslovic. With Jankowski starting out well, I'm not sure where he would fit though.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:02 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Was watching Montreal vs Edmonton on Hockey Night in Canada. In between periods, Friedman said that the Pens were interested in Roslovic. With Jankowski starting out well, I'm not sure where he would fit though.

He can play wing as well. With the 3rd line playing the way it is, you'd hate to move any of those 3 off the line. Roslovic reportedly wanted more ice time, and a chance in the top 6. Would GMJR be crazy enough to add him and slide Kapanen or Rust down to the 3rd line, and Tanev back to the 4th line. Don't think so. Roslovic would be a good add, but not sure of the fit right now. He's not going to want to come here and play on the 4th line...that's a sure downgrade for him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Was watching Montreal vs Edmonton on Hockey Night in Canada. In between periods, Friedman said that the Pens were interested in Roslovic. With Jankowski starting out well, I'm not sure where he would fit though.

He can play wing as well. With the 3rd line playing the way it is, you'd hate to move any of those 3 off the line. Roslovic reportedly wanted more ice time, and a chance in the top 6. Would GMJR be crazy enough to add him and slide Kapanen or Rust down to the 3rd line, and Tanev back to the 4th line. Don't think so. Roslovic would be a good add, but not sure of the fit right now. He's not going to want to come here and play on the 4th line...that's a sure downgrade for him.

Maybe they see him as a wing now and eventually a replacement for Malkin in the future. Might be the guy GMJR has been waiting on and targeted from the beginning. If there's a chance to get him they should go for it and let the lines shake out later.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:51 am

FLPensFan wrote:

Here's the thing though, the top 6 hasnt worked so far. I'm all for moving someone from the top 6 to the 4th line to send a message. Rust, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, take your pick really. If you can add Roslovic for a reasonable price you do it.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am

The cost for Roslovic, a mediocre player who can’t score, will likely be POJ+. We have enough bottom six players. What we need is more scoring talent. I hope JR is not on him unless we can move a bad contract like Matheson, which is unlikely
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 am

Ericf wrote:The cost for Roslovic, a mediocre player who can’t score, will likely be POJ+. We have enough bottom six players. What we need is more scoring talent. I hope JR is not on him unless we can move a bad contract like Matheson, which is unlikely

This

I don't understand the love affair with Roslovic. Reminds me of when everyone was gusshing like crazy over rumors of getting Sheahan. It was like two weeks of Sheahan, Sheahan, Sheahan, Sheahan, Sheahan. Only this one is pricer.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:39 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Here's the thing though, the top 6 hasnt worked so far. I'm all for moving someone from the top 6 to the 4th line to send a message. Rust, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, take your pick really. If you can add Roslovic for a reasonable price you do it.

As a GM you always look to add to the talent level of the team. Is Roslovic an upgrade over Rodriques, Sceviour, and ZAR the answer is probably yes. Of course in terms of a contract he's probably going to want something close to what those three make combined. I don't see a guy who's best season is 29 points providing a meaningful upgrade to the top six, or providing a motivational kick in the a** to someone currently playing in that role. If you need to send those kind of messages two games into a season, then you have much bigger problems than anyone in this organization wants to admit.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:49 am

Jim wrote:
Ericf wrote:The cost for Roslovic, a mediocre player who can’t score, will likely be POJ+. We have enough bottom six players. What we need is more scoring talent. I hope JR is not on him unless we can move a bad contract like Matheson, which is unlikely

This

I don't understand the love affair with Roslovic. Reminds me of when everyone was gusshing like crazy over rumors of getting Sheahan. It was like two weeks of Sheahan, Sheahan, Sheahan, Sheahan, Sheahan. Only this one is pricer.

Andreas Athanasiou has 2 goals for LA. :P

I'm not gushing. He's the type of guy that has some potential and could use a change of scenery to see if he can fully reach it. He would fill a position of need in the organization, a young, RH center. He would likely need to play 3rd RW if he came here.

I am not in the position of saying if he comes here, because he wants more top 6 time, that he should be put in the top 6. Show me with your actions. I've seen nothing yet to indicate he can be a top 6 player, other than maybe his draft position.

I am definitely not giving up POJ for him under any circumstances. I'm not giving up Marcus Pettersson for him in most circumstances, and if I did, Jets would need to add more coming back to Pittsburgh. If Winnipeg wants Riikola, Maniscalco, Lee...maybe with a 2022 pick throw in, fine. I like the player, but not giving up the farm for a guy who hasn't cracked 30 points in 2 seasons of 70 plus games.

EDIT: I'll add that, I'm not paying Roslovic anything about 1.5M in this climate either. Coming off his ELC, with 14 points (in 31 games), 24 in 77 games, and 29 in 71 games...he can go to the KHL if he's seeking some amazing big contract with those numbers. He hasn't done anything to deserve a better contract, yet. And honestly, I haven't heard anything that says money is the issue. It's all been playing time and position, IIRC.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 pm

I thought Zucker and Kapanen were brought in for more scoring talent? If he is a "mediocre" player then the cost shouldn't be high then, right?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:31 pm

Matheson out longer term.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pronovost19 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Yep. Shoulder separation or broken clavicle my guess.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

I thought Zucker and Kapanen were brought in for more scoring talent? If he is a "mediocre" player then the cost shouldn't be high then, right?

Well he's nothing outstanding. I see a lot of Jets games because of my region and can honestly say that I've never once thought "man I'd like to see him on the Pens". Yes it could have been a QOT thing, but last year he was put into the top 6 for periods with Little out and he didn't seem to elevate his game a ton.

.37 ppg over his career, barely a positive possession player, even while starting a large amount of his shifts in the offensive zone. He's horrible on the dot as well, so playing him at center would have its drawbacks.

But he does fly pretty good, so that could be the attraction. Although so did Koltsov.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:53 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

Well he's nothing outstanding. I see a lot of Jets games because of my region and can honestly say that I've never once thought "man I'd like to see him on the Pens". Yes it could have been a QOT thing, but last year he was put into the top 6 for periods with Little out and he didn't seem to elevate his game a ton.

.37 ppg over his career, barely a positive possession player, even while starting a large amount of his shifts in the offensive zone. He's horrible on the dot as well, so playing him at center would have its drawbacks.

But he does fly pretty good, so that could be the attraction. Although so did Koltsov.

The same could be said about Kapanen. Did he elevate his game on Toronto"s top 2 lines? Somehow Kapanen is a sure thing but Roslovic is too much of a risk.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:44 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

The same could be said about Kapanen. Did he elevate his game on Toronto"s top 2 lines? Somehow Kapanen is a sure thing but Roslovic is too much of a risk.

You've never heard me say Kapanen is a sure thing, I thought they overpaid for something that is the furthest thing from a sure thing. Granted he never really got a long look in the top 6 because of the talent blocking him. Here's a look at his impact he had when he got played with some of the big guns in Toronto since 2017

He played 119 minutes at 5 on 5 with Marner
Together - 50.65 CF, 45.45 xGF%
Marner without Kapanen - 52.13 CF, 53.54 xGF%
Kapanen without Marner - 52.18 CF, 50.37 xGF%

704 minutes at 5 on 5 with Matthews
Together - 51.86 CF, 50.80 xGF%
Matthews without Kapanen - 52.63 CF, 53.62 xGF%
Kapanen without Matthews - 52.22 CF, 49.80 xGF%

278 minutes at 5 on 5 with Tavares
Together - 55.10 CF, 46.70 xGF%
Tavares without Kapanen - 53.06 CF, 53.71 xGF%
Kapanen without Tavares - 51.66 CF, 50.67 xGF%

159 minutes at 5 on 5 with Nylander
Together - 51.13 CF, 50.59 xGF%
Nylander without Kapanen - 53.34 CF, 51.84 xGF%
Kapanen without Nylander - 52.17 CF, 50.11 xGF%

You can see that each player saw their numbers improve when away from Kapanen, hence why he probably didn't get a lot of top 6 time. (that and the fact he was blocked by two better players) If there's a positive to take away from it, it's that he still stayed afloat when not playing with the big names. He's a positive possession player over his career but didn't seem to have the chops to play with the bigger talent in the top 6. It's for this reason that I'm a bit skeptical on whether he'll just walk in here and mesh fine in the top 6 with either Geno or Sid. Both are great players, but so are the above 4 and his numbers weren't great with them. Maybe with a longer look they would be, who knows?

Watching him here in Leaf Land, he'll blow you away some shifts and then completely disappear the next, or even during that shift. His hockey IQ has always been a knock, as well as his consistency. I think the easiest way to put it is this......when I watched him play on the 3rd line, there was no question he should be in the top 6. Once he was put into the top 6 he no longer looked like that player, struggling to find chemistry and maybe lacking the hockey sense to play there. Maybe Sid or Geno mesh well with him when given a longer look than he received in Toronto. If there's one thing, we will see an uptick in odd man rushes because of his ability to fly the zone quickly, but after that I'm not sure how it will play out. His defensive game might give the coaching staff fits as well.

I was never sold on him being a sure thing in the top 6 here. I didn't like the pricetag for him, especially with these doubts. He's better than Rodrigues, but it's a pretty low bar. Maybe he turns into another Dupuis, and I'd be completely fine with that.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins