2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 pm

In the announcement about the finalized roster on nhl.com, I found this interesting.
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... -320186530
The taxi squad can be a maximum of six players for the 2020-21 season. These players will practice in Pittsburgh separately from the 23-man roster and travel with the team in case an emergency recall is needed. Because they are stationed out of Pittsburgh, they will not need to quarantine before entering the lineup.

So I did a little more digging.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/01 ... a%20recall.

Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports that NHL clubs and their AHL affiliates have been informed that there will be no blanket quarantine period for player recalls and reassignments this season. Instead, quarantine measures will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering the totality of the circumstances. This will include team protocols, travel logistics, and accordance with local COVID-19 health guidelines.

As Johnston notes, this will make AHL recalls much easier for those teams whose affiliates share a city or even a state or province. Short, safe travel ability and uniform local policies will allow for much shorter quarantine periods. Teams in this situation may even ask their affiliate to maintain the same NHL-level of day-to-day quarantine protocols to make recalls even easier, perhaps even without any quarantine.

For those teams with some distance between themselves and their minor league clubs, recalls could remain difficult. Especially for those Canadian teams whose affiliates remain in the U.S. – the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks – quarantine logistics will be a struggle. Johnston points out that for these teams and the American clubs with affiliates elsewhere in the country, travel will be a major obstacle. The one blanket policy for all NHL and AHL players this season is that a seven-day quarantine period is required following a commercial flight. This could also stand to effect any team on a long-term road trip that is desperate enough to make a recall.

Recalling players from the AHL won't be as simple as it usually is. The Pens are fortunate that their affiliate is close enough to allow for car travel. The composition of the taxi squad is vital, because those are the only players that will immediately be available without adhering to some sort of quarantine period.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 pm

It feels like roster shenanigans, rather than any finalized taxi squad for the season, very much a mixed bag.

O'Connor is a college UDFA and a guy I'm curious about.
Gaudreau an AHL'er picked up from NSH, meh. Blandisi, Dea levels of excitement.
D'Orio a goalie you'd sooner expect with the Nailers, let's hope he's not needed.
Lagacé an average AHL goalie, let's hope he's not needed either.
POJ the top defensive prospect in the organisation, outside chance he'll get a couple of games. Love to see what he does at NHL level.
Angello an AHL forward knocking on the NHL door because few people are in his way, meh.

Smells like someone got the Rona. Which is what the taxi squad is for.. to keep a competitive 20-man roster available for teams suffering from covid cases.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Corey Perry just got waived by the Habs.

Ton of players on waivers.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 pm

Why do people keep thinking there are hidden reasons for Penguin actions?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:It feels like roster shenanigans, rather than any finalized taxi squad for the season, very much a mixed bag.

D'Orio a goalie you'd sooner expect with the Nailers, let's hope he's not needed.
POJ the top defensive prospect in the organisation, outside chance he'll get a couple of games. Love to see what he does at NHL level.
Angello an AHL forward knocking on the NHL door because few people are in his way, meh.

Smells like someone got the Rona. Which is what the taxi squad is for.. to keep a competitive 20-man roster available for teams suffering from covid cases.

When Trotman is recovered from whatever ails him (*cough, rona), I expect him to replace D'Orio. GMJR said as much back in December that D'Orio was very likely going to be in Wheeling this year, because it Wheeling is closer to Pittsburgh if he was needed for a recall. D'Orio is pretty far down are goalie depth chart. My other guess (though not a guarantee) is that Miletic, when healthy, could very well replace Gaudreau. Miletic is the top forward prospect we had in WBS that has yet to play an NHL game.

O'Connor, POJ, Angello, and Lagace are not a surprise to me. I expected those 4 to be there.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:21 pm

KG wrote:Corey Perry just got waived by the Habs.

Given the Pens lack of center depth, I wonder if they considered Weal at all from the Habs.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:21 am

FLPensFan wrote:The Athletic had an article today ranking the goalies in the league, as voted on by an anonymous group of NHL personnel. This year's panel was made up of 6 NHL GMs, 4 NHL head coaches, and 5 NHL goalie coaches. Each of these people needed to assign a 1 to 5 value to each teams starting goalie, with 1 the best and 5 the worst.

Goalies were then put in Tiers based on their score.

Tier1 had 3 goalies: Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, and Price

Jarry was rated in Tier3, 19th overall, tied with Holtby. The comments on Jarry:

--“The coaching staff and management is putting faith in him,” said a panelist. “They still have good structure there, I think that helps him.”
--“He definitely was above average. He’s not big. He handles the puck well,” said a coach. “Very good puck handler. He brings that to the table.”
--“He was consistent in the American League for four years. It’s always tougher to continue to do it year after year, but I think that the way he plays and the mentality and what his character is like, there’s a level of consistency there that he can learn adjustments at the highest level. He’s competitive. Guys love him. He’s smart.”
--One more: “Pittsburgh played well in front of him. I’m nervous for him.”

I think the biggest surprise for me were some of the other "not very established" goalies who ranked higher than Jarry. Shesterkin of the Rangers was the biggest surprise for me. I know he is supposed to be good, but he's played 12 total NHL games. He was ranked 12th. Other goalies without a ton of experience that ranked higher than Jarry....Carter Hart (6th), Merzlikins (13th), Samsonov (17th), Blackwood (18th).

That being said....the same panel ranked Murray 22nd.

That shesterkin ranking does surprise me, the other young ones not quite as much, I put Samsonov in a similar ranking as Jarry so them both being in the late teens make sense. Hart I could around 10th so 6th is a bit high but not egregious.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:53 am

sjnhiils wrote:

Given the Pens lack of center depth, I wonder if they considered Weal at all from the Habs.

Given the Pens lack of size and toughness, I wonder if they considered Morin at all from the Flyers.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:16 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:It feels like roster shenanigans, rather than any finalized taxi squad for the season, very much a mixed bag.

When Trotman is recovered from whatever ails him (*cough, rona), I expect him to replace D'Orio. GMJR said as much back in December that D'Orio was very likely going to be in Wheeling this year, because it Wheeling is closer to Pittsburgh if he was needed for a recall. D'Orio is pretty far down are goalie depth chart. My other guess (though not a guarantee) is that Miletic, when healthy, could very well replace Gaudreau. Miletic is the top forward prospect we had in WBS that has yet to play an NHL game.

O'Connor, POJ, Angello, and Lagace are not a surprise to me. I expected those 4 to be there.

I would tend to agree that Trotman will likely replace D'Orio once he's cleared. There's no reason to keep D'Orio around as a 4th goaltender. I'm not as sure about Miletic replacing Gaudreau. We aren't privy to most of camp, and don't know how they performed. But unless Miletic was far superior, I think it makes more sense to allow the 23 year old Miletic play at WBS rather than sit out games in Pittsburgh. Gaudreau is a 27 year old RH center with 84 NHL games under his belt. It's obvious that they didn't feel Poulin was ready, because they could have easily carried him on the squad at least until he got 6 NHL games in. But they think he's better off playing in the Q whenever they start playing games again. It's not a ringing endorsement. I still think he's a top prospect, but perhaps expectations need to be reined in a bit.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 am

Why does everyone have a pessimistic view of the Pens this year? We haven’t played a single game and it’s already doom and gloom. At this time who knows how players will perform. Let’s play some games and then decide.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:21 am

sjnhiils wrote:

There's a couple of issues there. I think Weal might be able to compete with the bottom of the depth chart, but he'd also be coming from Canada, and subject to quarantine. Plus his cap hit is $1.4M, higher than anyone he would be replacing. I'm not sure his upside is enough to make it worthwhile. If they claimed him, he'd have to be on the main roster, and that would leave the Pens short up front for the first few games with both him and Kapanen in quarantine.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 am

Steve Dave wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

Given the Pens lack of size and toughness, I wonder if they considered Morin at all from the Flyers.

He certainly would address any size and toughness issues they may have, but I can't see him supplanting anybody else on the roster. He's a defenseman they are trying to convert to the wing. Worth a shot if they were in a rebuild, but not if you're trying to compete for a playoff spot. He's also listed on IR by capfriendly.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:09 am

longtimefan wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

There's a couple of issues there. I think Weal might be able to compete with the bottom of the depth chart, but he'd also be coming from Canada, and subject to quarantine. Plus his cap hit is $1.4M, higher than anyone he would be replacing. I'm not sure his upside is enough to make it worthwhile. If they claimed him, he'd have to be on the main roster, and that would leave the Pens short up front for the first few games with both him and Kapanen in quarantine.

Isn't he on like 4 teams in 5 seasons? Why?
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:10 am

Wyopen wrote:Why does everyone have a pessimistic view of the Pens this year? We haven’t played a single game and it’s already doom and gloom. At this time who knows how players will perform. Let’s play some games and then decide.

It’s because a lot of things need to go right for them to be successful. The odds of all these things happening are slim.

1. Sid and Geno not showing any signs of aging. Fantastic talents but they are 32 and 33. Eventually it will happen, is this the year it starts to show? It’s a shortened season, that helps. But at the same time, any injuries hurt you that much more. If one goes down, is Jankowski in the top 6? McCann? Either way, not good.
2. Is Kapanen worth the price they paid? He’s lost defensively and isn’t this great penalty killer they’re trying to make him out to be. Does he mesh with Sid?
3. Matheson - does he rebound or stay at the level he was at last season?
4. Is Rust really a sniper and a top 6 guy?
5. Can Jarry handle the load and provide at least league average goaltending? Can DeSmith step in when needed?
6. Rodrigues - 3rd line? Hmm
7. Is McCann the sniper we saw early?

There’s a lot of question marks.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 am

longtimefan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

He certainly would address any size and toughness issues they may have, but I can't see him supplanting anybody else on the roster. He's a defenseman they are trying to convert to the wing. Worth a shot if they were in a rebuild, but not if you're trying to compete for a playoff spot. He's also listed on IR by capfriendly.

Morin has been in the league for 4 seasons and has 9 total NHL games. There is a reason for that, he is not an NHLer.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Waiver claims per LeBrun:

Carolina claims Anton Forsberg from Edmonton;
San Jose claims Rudolfs Balcers from Ottawa;
NJ claims Eric Comrie from Winnipeg;
Nashville claims Luca Sbisa from Winnipeg
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:21 pm

An article from Rossi on the Athletic today. He's seen much more of camp than we have, so there's some merit in reading them. Having said that, I've seen some shoddiness in his recent reporting. Specifically in an article he did on the expansion draft last month that had several errors which showed laziness on his part. So his stock is down with me right now. His article was a stock up or down premise.

https://theathletic.com/2316992/2021/01 ... ning-camp/

Mike Matheson

Stock: Up

A change of scenery seems to have suited defenseman Mike Matheson. Or maybe it’s less the sights and sounds of Pittsburgh compared to South Florida and more a system that favors his strengths. Whatever the case, from the first drills of camp, Matheson looked like a player born to play for Sullivan.

His reputable skating did not disappoint, but more impressive was the quickness with which he seemed to pick up the multiple reads that Penguins defensemen are tasked with making when possession he puck in their own zone.

He began camp on a third paring but was partnered with John Marino for the camp-closing scrimmage. The change did not appear to be forced. Rather, Matheson made that decision an easy call for returning assistant coach Todd Reirden.

Juuso Riikola

Stock: Down

...the strong showing in camp of a certain prospect leaves open the possibility that Riikola has competition if a left-shot defenseman is needed for an extended stretch.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph

...Joseph’s inclusion on the taxi squad signals a consensus among the decision-makers that Joseph would benefit more from not playing regularly but receiving coaching from Reirden than honing his skills in the AHL.

Taxi-squad appointments could change, as Sullivan noted Monday, but Joseph’s camp suggested he’s made a big leap in his development.

Top line

How has this stock fallen?

...But that line has been without a set third piece for several seasons. The Penguins paid dearly in the offseason to re-acquire Kasperi Kapanen from Toronto, with GM Jim Rutherford and Sullivan each identifying Kapanen to slot as the right winger with Crosby and Guentzel.

Kapanen has yet to practice. His second go-round with the Penguins was delayed by a travel issue. (Publicly, the Penguins have said all the rights things. Privately, many in the organization are not pleased Kapanen was not in Pittsburgh for what was the longest stretch of practices the Penguins will have during the 2020-21 season.)

The point of acquiring Kapanen was to benefit Crosby and Guentzel. As he’s yet to take the ice with that dynamic duo, they’ve seen no benefit — and there is no telling when, or if, they will.

I thought this one was just plain stupid. I think it became clear that Kapnanen was not alone. And, based on FLPensFan pointing out that 45 days notice for the visa was requested with start dates certain, it was impossible for him to do so. To me, this is just Rossi stirring the pot without investigating the facts. Just my take. I won't argue his missing camp was a road bump, although it remains to be seen how significant. It's not a death knell. If it was, no player brought in during the season would ever have an impact.

First power play

...Crosby and Guentzel, along with winger Bryan Rust, center Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang, looked to be invested during power-play drills in camp practices. To a player, the movement was determined, crisp and consistent. And when Rust ended up in the slot, looking to shoot instead of making an extra pass, observers could almost see the devilish grins on the faces of Reirden and Sullivan.

In a 56-game season that features only divisional games, the Penguins would do no better than to again establish their power play as a dominant, distinguishing force. It’s only been practice, but so far, so wowza.

Jared McCann

...Still, as was the case going into last postseason (if not last regular season, too), McCann in this camp is a talented player without an obvious fit. Most evidence points to him being better at center and when playing in a top-six role, but the Penguins have Crosby and Malkin. And his strength — that shot, and the ability to score goals in bunches — does not appear suited for a third line that increasingly looks as though it will be more defensive-oriented.

Of course, McCann is just as likely to rip off 10 goals in the Penguins’ opening 15 games, because he has that level of talent. This is why, were he really a stock, McCann would be one to consider getting in on right now.

I thought this was a bit misleading, since it has to do with where McCann fits as opposed to how he looks. Suggesting the evidence suggests he should be at center and in a top 6 role goes against what JR said about preferring at wing. A sentiment that seems to be the majority opinion among posters.

Mark Jankowski

...He looked out of place and his element in the first camp practice. Since, he’s been a revelation to observers who remember when Nick Bonino and Jordan Staal made 200-foot hockey a staple of third centers for great Penguins teams. As Staal did, Jankowski takes up space with his length and has the size to out-muscle opposing forwards and defensemen in both zones. As Bonino did, Jankowski seems to possess offensive prowess that suggests he might score big goals in playoff games but focus more on denying goals on the way to the postseason.

I left out segments of the quotes, because I can't obviously reproduce the entire article. But these were his main takeaways on each of the players critiqued.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:42 pm

GMJR was on PGH radio this morning- the team has more speed.
What I want to see are goals scored since they couldn't score any in the summer.
Will this shortened season bring any stranger things to goals scored? We'll see.

Evgeni Malkin had a zoom conference meeting. He wants to be the first russian to win 4 cups.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Jim wrote:Why do people keep thinking there are hidden reasons for Penguin actions?

It's the year of conspiracy theories Jim. There is one for everything.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:45 pm

longtimefan wrote:An article from Rossi on the Athletic today. He's seen much more of camp than we have, so there's some merit in reading them. Having said that, I've seen some shoddiness in his recent reporting. Specifically in an article he did on the expansion draft last month that had several errors which showed laziness on his part. So his stock is down with me right now. His article was a stock up or down premise.

https://theathletic.com/2316992/2021/01 ... ning-camp/

Spoiler:
Mike Matheson

A change of scenery seems to have suited defenseman Mike Matheson. Or maybe it’s less the sights and sounds of Pittsburgh compared to South Florida and more a system that favors his strengths. Whatever the case, from the first drills of camp, Matheson looked like a player born to play for Sullivan.

His reputable skating did not disappoint, but more impressive was the quickness with which he seemed to pick up the multiple reads that Penguins defensemen are tasked with making when possession he puck in their own zone.

He began camp on a third paring but was partnered with John Marino for the camp-closing scrimmage. The change did not appear to be forced. Rather, Matheson made that decision an easy call for returning assistant coach Todd Reirden.

Juuso Riikola

...the strong showing in camp of a certain prospect leaves open the possibility that Riikola has competition if a left-shot defenseman is needed for an extended stretch.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph

...Joseph’s inclusion on the taxi squad signals a consensus among the decision-makers that Joseph would benefit more from not playing regularly but receiving coaching from Reirden than honing his skills in the AHL.

Taxi-squad appointments could change, as Sullivan noted Monday, but Joseph’s camp suggested he’s made a big leap in his development.

Top line

How has this stock fallen?

...But that line has been without a set third piece for several seasons. The Penguins paid dearly in the offseason to re-acquire Kasperi Kapanen from Toronto, with GM Jim Rutherford and Sullivan each identifying Kapanen to slot as the right winger with Crosby and Guentzel.

Kapanen has yet to practice. His second go-round with the Penguins was delayed by a travel issue. (Publicly, the Penguins have said all the rights things. Privately, many in the organization are not pleased Kapanen was not in Pittsburgh for what was the longest stretch of practices the Penguins will have during the 2020-21 season.)

The point of acquiring Kapanen was to benefit Crosby and Guentzel. As he’s yet to take the ice with that dynamic duo, they’ve seen no benefit — and there is no telling when, or if, they will.

I thought this one was just plain stupid. I think it became clear that Kapnanen was not alone. And, based on FLPensFan pointing out that 45 days notice for the visa was requested with start dates certain, it was impossible for him to do so. To me, this is just Rossi stirring the pot without investigating the facts. Just my take. I won't argue his missing camp was a road bump, although it remains to be seen how significant. It's not a death knell. If it was, no player brought in during the season would ever have an impact.

First power play

...Crosby and Guentzel, along with winger Bryan Rust, center Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang, looked to be invested during power-play drills in camp practices. To a player, the movement was determined, crisp and consistent. And when Rust ended up in the slot, looking to shoot instead of making an extra pass, observers could almost see the devilish grins on the faces of Reirden and Sullivan.

In a 56-game season that features only divisional games, the Penguins would do no better than to again establish their power play as a dominant, distinguishing force. It’s only been practice, but so far, so wowza.

Jared McCann

...Still, as was the case going into last postseason (if not last regular season, too), McCann in this camp is a talented player without an obvious fit. Most evidence points to him being better at center and when playing in a top-six role, but the Penguins have Crosby and Malkin. And his strength — that shot, and the ability to score goals in bunches — does not appear suited for a third line that increasingly looks as though it will be more defensive-oriented.

Of course, McCann is just as likely to rip off 10 goals in the Penguins’ opening 15 games, because he has that level of talent. This is why, were he really a stock, McCann would be one to consider getting in on right now.

I thought this was a bit misleading, since it has to do with where McCann fits as opposed to how he looks. Suggesting the evidence suggests he should be at center and in a top 6 role goes against what JR said about preferring at wing. A sentiment that seems to be the majority opinion among posters.

Mark Jankowski

...He looked out of place and his element in the first camp practice. Since, he’s been a revelation to observers who remember when Nick Bonino and Jordan Staal made 200-foot hockey a staple of third centers for great Penguins teams. As Staal did, Jankowski takes up space with his length and has the size to out-muscle opposing forwards and defensemen in both zones. As Bonino did, Jankowski seems to possess offensive prowess that suggests he might score big goals in playoff games but focus more on denying goals on the way to the postseason.

I left out segments of the quotes, because I can't obviously reproduce the entire article. But these were his main takeaways on each of the players critiqued.

My stock is down on both Yohe and Rossi. I've always admired Yohe's reporting, and he's typically been a pretty open and approachable guy. And, quite frankly, I thought Rossi was a bit back on an upswing with his reporting. He was not fit to be in the columnist role he was at Trib when DK left. I had felt over the past year, he had gotten back to being a decent reporter like he once was. Then the pandemic happened, and the summer/off-season articles on the Penguins from the Athletic started being joint Yohe-Rossi articles...and they were bad and clickbait. Chris Tanev to Pittsburgh...pretty sure that was those 2. There was another big thing I am forgetting right now, but I know whatever it was DK kind of back-handed called them out for it. Seemed like Yohe-Rossi had a lot of conjecture, bad sources, and listing quotes and then taking said quote to the next level, which the quoted person didn't say.

Anyways, just a few things I have heard from those around the team, and other comments on Rossi's comments:

--Matheson is there, and someone else did a piece about both Matheson and Jankowski talking about how their confidence was destroyed with their last teams. They are both much more confident with Pittsburgh now. Matheson's skating is as advertised, but, I have heard that the bad, questionable, repeated giveaways by Matheson are still present at times.

--I missed your comment at first about the top line, but I 100% agree. He starts by assessing the play of Matheson and POJ, and how that could push Riikola down the depth chart. Then he goes to the top line, and, there's no ACTUAL review of the top line. It's all about Kapanen not being here. Nothing about how Rodrigues has looked. Nothing about how Sid and Jake have performed so far. So he went from giving opinion's on player performance, to pure opinion not related to anything happening on the ice. Shoddy reporting if you ask me. He can conjecture with his "insiders" all he wants, but, Kapanen isn't the only person having immigration problems, and, if what Taylor Haase said was true about the 45 days and needing to know exact start dates...I don't see how Kapanen is at fault.

--Power play, and back to on ice discussions and evaluations. I have heard some expect them to struggle early with few practices in this area, but, there is a lot of puck movement and player movement from what I have heard, and many think once they get a few games under their belt, the puck movement aspect (instead of the old stagnant glued to one spot PP) is going to be deadly.

--Shoddy Rossi continues to move away from his initial point, reporting stock up and down based on camp, and talks about McCann, where stats say he should be, this that and the other. How has he looked on the ice? We don't know from Rossi. I will say I am a bit concerned, because Jankowski managed two goals the other day, Tanev has been Tanev....but McCann seems to be oddly quiet. I haven't heard much talk, good or bad, about him...and that's not good. McCann needed a good camp.

--Oh, now Rossi's back to commenting on actual performance with Jankowski. He was reported as slow, and quite possibly slowest on the team early in camp. Let's hope he has more of a Bonino or Staal type effect, which would help make up for his skating issues.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 pm

Lafferty continues to impress and I could see him ending up on the 3rd line with Tanev moving back with Blueger. Many feel POJ is also NHL ready, so maybe it's not so risky to move Pettersson.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Lafferty continues to impress and I could see him ending up on the 3rd line with Tanev moving back with Blueger. Many feel POJ is also NHL ready, so maybe it's not so risky to move Pettersson.

I’d like to see Lafferty in there for sure. His speed is a huge asset.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Lafferty continues to impress and I could see him ending up on the 3rd line with Tanev moving back with Blueger. Many feel POJ is also NHL ready, so maybe it's not so risky to move Pettersson.

I’d like to see Lafferty in there for sure. His speed is a huge asset.

I agree that Lafferty seems ready to hold down a regular NHL job, at least on the 4th line. I am a bit concerned about what happens when Kapanen returns next week (where E-Rod goes), and when ZAR returns. Ideally, when fully healthy, I'd like to see this upfront:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Jankowski-Tanev/Lafferty
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev/Lafferty
x-E-Rod, Sceviour

I'm not down on Sceviour, but, I'd rather give the job to a kid like Lafferty who still may have some upside to show and could be here beyond this year. My fear is that Sullivan just wants to win, and will see Sceviour as the veteran with more experience and want to play him instead.

Pretty much same thing with E-Rod. I'm not a fan. He's got speed. Other than that, he's a dime a dozen bottom 6 NHLer. He has reported looked good during the summer, and scored a goal the other day in the scrimmage....but there is nobody in the bottom 6 right now where I think to myself replacing X player with E-Rod makes this a better team. But again, I fear Sullivan will not want him going from first line to 13th forward.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:32 pm

I am much better with Rodrigues in the top 13 at $700K than players that people want plucked off of waivers at $1.4, or 2.whatever. Even Derek Ryan at $3.2M. Derek Ryan is a better player, but $700K vs $3.2M...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 am

Jim wrote:I am much better with Rodrigues in the top 13 at $700K than players that people want plucked off of waivers at $1.4, or 2.whatever. Even Derek Ryan at $3.2M. Derek Ryan is a better player, but $700K vs $3.2M...

Can't say I disagree. There are players that are "intriguing" that were on waivers, but, none of them were outright upgrades to our bottom 6. What they may have brought in one area, they lacked in another. Derek Ryan, it appears, isn't even making the NHL roster. He was put on the taxi squad. He was the only person I would have seriously considered taking a look at, but again, not at his salary. He would have been good as an extra forward and strong faceoff guy who puts up 30-35 points a year with regularity. But guys like Perry, Ho-sang, etc that were on waivers...pass.

Only other one I considered was Svechnikov (not the good one) from DET, but again, he'd be a project, not an upgrade over anything we have today.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins