2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 am

Saying "I wonder if they considered" is not the same as an outright calling to pick someone up off of waivers. It's been repeated time and again on this board about their lack of center depth, especially a right handed one. Weal put up good numbers in juniors and was mvp on a Calder Cup team so he is not devoid of talent. But hey, let's just stick with the $700k guys that no one else wanted and who couldn't get a bigger contract and think they are the answer to why we lost to Montreal the way we did!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:02 am

An active GM needs to play out all options available. Trade, trade, add, drop. Any plans for this season need to be fluid and shared with the personnel on the payroll.

Regardless of who approves a deal, the window of Crosby and Malkin in the NHL will soon close. As a lifelong fan, I want that person to wring the talent of those players to the highest degree. We can win. We can win! I won't be able to see it in person, but I will annoy the hell out of the neighbors when we do!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,546
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Wyopen wrote:Why does everyone have a pessimistic view of the Pens this year? We haven’t played a single game and it’s already doom and gloom. At this time who knows how players will perform. Let’s play some games and then decide.


It’s because a lot of things need to go right for them to be successful. The odds of all these things happening are slim.

1. Sid and Geno not showing any signs of aging. Fantastic talents but they are 32 and 33. Eventually it will happen, is this the year it starts to show? It’s a shortened season, that helps. But at the same time, any injuries hurt you that much more. If one goes down, is Jankowski in the top 6? McCann? Either way, not good.
2. Is Kapanen worth the price they paid? He’s lost defensively and isn’t this great penalty killer they’re trying to make him out to be. Does he mesh with Sid?
3. Matheson - does he rebound or stay at the level he was at last season?
4. Is Rust really a sniper and a top 6 guy?
5. Can Jarry handle the load and provide at least league average goaltending? Can DeSmith step in when needed?
6. Rodrigues - 3rd line? Hmm
7. Is McCann the sniper we saw early?

There’s a lot of question marks.


Whenever you underachieve and make a number of changes, you're going to have question marks. I posted a thread about the comparison with the 2105-16 team's opening night roster. They won the Cup, but the 2nd line LW was projected to be Sergei Plotnikov. There were a lot of questions, and they only grew louder when Bonino got off to a horrific start. Beau Bennett was penciled in on the 3rd line. Rob Scuderi was a regular. That's typical. When a number of question marks turn into exclamation points, you win a Cup. Which is the expectation because they've spoiled us. When in reality, they've only won 5 since '67-'68. That means they've failed 90% of the time.

Your questions are legitimate, some more than others. But most teams have questions. Some who believe they don't find out they do when players don't perform as expected. People screamed about the re-signing of Scuderi because of the term. But not many were concerned about his performance in the early part of the deal. No one certainly believed he'd be as horrible as it turned out. He wasn't seen as a major question mark. Until he proved otherwise.

-Malkin and Crosby are entering the twilight of their careers, but they've played a total of 29 seasons between them and only averaged less than a point per game once. Other teams in the division have the same questions. In Boston, Bergeron is 35. In Washington, Ovechkin is 35, Backstrom 33, and Oshie 34. The day will come, and it will be soon, when Sid and Geno will slide. But there's no indication that the time has arrived. Sid was hurt last season, but scored 100 points in '18-'19. Geno had 71 points in 55 games last season. I think the general consensus is the team goes as they go. And their pedigree gives you a puncher's chance. Last season, both missed a lot of time due to injury. But the team performed very well while they were out. The slump came after both were back. The 2C during their hot start? Jared McCann. He produced very well from that spot.

-Whether Kapanen was worth the price doesn't really involve his performance. Will he fit in as a top 6 winger is the real question, no matter what it cost to bring him in. As far as his play, I listened to a podcast with Justin Bourne a while back, and his comments aren't in line with yours. He was part of the Marlies front office when Kapanen first got there, and is now part of TSN I believe. He lauded Kappy's work to contribute in other ways than on the scoresheet. Something he was asked to do with the realization that Marner and Nylander were ahead of him on the RW. He's not going to win a Selke, but his defensive game hasn't been highlighted as a huge weakness. Certainly not a mess. He worked on it to become at list decent. What makes a good PKer? He'll be on the PK, and his speed will make teams take notice. The question isn't whether he's an NHL caliber player. He is. The question is what level he attains. Regardless, I don't think there's much dispute as to whether he's an upgrade to Sheary/Simon.

-The questions about Matheson are fair. The jury is out, but the very early reports are positive. He's a projection. But is he an upgrade on JJ and the Schultz we got at the end? The bar isn't overly high. In order to upgrade the overall team, he and Ceci have to be better than JJ and Schultz.

-When is Rust going to deserve to be considered a top 6 winger? We know his history. But part of that history was a horrific spell of one goal in his first 29 games two seasons ago. Since that time, he's scored 44 goals in his last 98 games. Like any player, he could take a step back. But that's almost a 37 goal pace over a full 82 game season. Those 44 goals were scored over the better part of two seasons, so it wasn't a one year mirage. He's also played a great deal of his career alongside Malkin and Crosby. At this point, I think he ha to prove he's NOT a top 6 wing.

-Jarry appears to be an above average NHL goalie with a short track record. He's competing in a division with teams with the same questions in net. Matt Murray was a huge question mark entering the '16 playoffs. But he won the Cup. Then another. He came out of nowhere. Jarry has to continue to improve, not come out of nowhere. There's questions about DeSmith, but also a track record that isn't all that bad.

-In terms of Rodrigues, I personally never looked at him as the 3RW. I believe he'll spend some time there, and his track record prior to last season suggests he may be viable. Enough so that an arbitrator awarded him $2M. To me, he's the perfect 13th forward. But he's going to play a lot, because it's not really common to have 12 healthy forwards for a long stretch. His value is the ability to be serviceable up and down the lineup at any forward position. He's a swiss army knife who I see as an upgrade to Dom Simon, if for no other reason than he's a better option in the middle, is RH, and can kill penalties. None of which were Simon's strengths.

-The questions will persist about McCann until he produces. I don't think he has to be a 20-25 goal sniper necessarily. If he's on the 3rd line, he needs to chip in. Most teams don't employ 20 goal scorers on their 3rd lines. I floated the idea of a potential McCann-Blueger-Tanev 3rd line. All three struggled mightily to score down the stretch. Those streaks happen. The team's downfall was a team wide effort down the stretch. If you extrapolate those three over the course of a full season, they would have produced 40 goals at the same pace. It should be noted that the HBK line produced a total of 42 regular season goals as Pens in the '15-'16 season. I'm not trying to compare them to HBK, Just pointing out that they aren't as awful as many suggest. I can see them cobbling together a 3rd line that can produce at a 45-50 goal pace over a full season. Which really isn't bad at all.

I'm not trying to argue your concerns. I'm just taking them in context to the question that was asked. It's a glass half full, glass half empty scenario. Most teams have questions. And some who don't think they do will find out otherwise. The Caps plan to open the season with Panik on Eller's LW. Sprong will compete with Sheary for the 3RW spot. An aging Hagelin may eventually replace Panik on the left side. Wouldn't you question that scenario if it was the Pens plan?

Perhaps a more targeted set of questions are these.

-Is the addition of Matheson and Ceci an improvement over Johnson and Schultz?
-Is Kapanen a better option than Sheary/Simon in the top 6?
-I loved Hornqvist, but can the 3rd line perform any worse than the 3rd line did against Montreal in the playoffs? Check you advanced stats.
-Is McCann more likely to be a player who can chip in offensively on the 3rd line, or is it more likely he goes 20+ games consistently without scoring?
-Is it unreasonable to expect Blueger and Lafferty to take a step forward in what amounts to their 2nd full seasons?

Again, the question marks are legit, but they also assume the worst. It's not likely all of the questions will have positive outcomes. Nor is it likely they will all have negative outcomes. Glass half full, glass half empty. Perhaps it's foolhardy to be overly optimistic. But it's also foolhardy to be overly pessimistic. The team did have the 7th best record in the league even with a horrible finish. The time ha come to let it play out. That's the exciting part. Let's see how things turn out on the ice. Not on paper as we've been debating for far too long.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,937
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:01 am

I'm sure those who have read my posts have noticed I lean towards optimism rather than pessimism. Not as a homer. Just as looking at the upside of the what ifs as opposed to the downside. A lot of people have projected that the Pens will miss the playoffs, with predictions as low as 7th. Other project them as among the favorites. Perhaps an article I read by Mark Madden puts it in perspective. His opinion was that it's possible they will battle with the Isles and Rangers for a playoff spot. But it is almost as likely they battle for the division title. Ultimately he picked the Pens 3rd behind the Flyers and Bruins. That seems fair. They could be among the best, and they could see their playoff streak screech to a halt.

I'm not without angst. Eventually Crosby and Malkin will be pedestrian. It's the most competitive division in the league. And the Pens have overhauled a full 1/3 of their team. History teaches. Very often it takes time for a team to mesh after so many changes. To develop chemistry, to develop an identity. They aren't likely to come out of the gate with guns blaring. I hope they do, but I know it's not likely. The secret is to stay close, to stay within striking distance. The season starts today, but it won't tell us much. It's possible we don't know who they are until mid to late March. Even a truncated 56 game season is a marathon. I'm sure we'll get a lot of the sky is falling posts if they get off to a slow start, even if they just lose today. Personally, I'll practice and preach patience. It may take a while. You just need to absorb the blows, and keep moving forward. With the hopes of coming together as it goes along. When the dust settles in May, I expect the Pens to finish 2nd or 3rd. I'm going to enjoy watching them trying to get there. Afterall, that's the reason we are so passionate. To see the performance on the ice. So it starts. Let's Go Pens!
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,937
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:00 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Lafferty continues to impress and I could see him ending up on the 3rd line with Tanev moving back with Blueger. Many feel POJ is also NHL ready, so maybe it's not so risky to move Pettersson.


I’d like to see Lafferty in there for sure. His speed is a huge asset.

Plus he never hesitates to join the scrum or drop the gloves. A good combination of speed and physicality.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:04 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Saying "I wonder if they considered" is not the same as an outright calling to pick someone up off of waivers. It's been repeated time and again on this board about their lack of center depth, especially a right handed one. Weal put up good numbers in juniors and was mvp on a Calder Cup team so he is not devoid of talent. But hey, let's just stick with the $700k guys that no one else wanted and who couldn't get a bigger contract and think they are the answer to why we lost to Montreal the way we did!

I'm familiar with Jordan Weal's name. I remember seeing him play in games, but, I am certainly no expert but here's what I see:

--isn't an NHL regular. 14, 23, 69, 63, 49 games over the past 5 seasons.
--his .32 career pts per game is .01 higher than Jankowski
--he's never broken 10 goal or 30 point plateaus
--Evan Rodrigues was 2nd in NCAA scoring behind only Jack Eichel. How's that working out for him?
--It would be one thing if Weal 23 or 24, a few years removed from Juniors and never got much of an NHL shot. Maybe then I'd look at those WHL numbers and be impressed and see a glimmer of hope. Weal turns 29 in April. I don't think he's going to suddenly find his Junior scoring touch at 28/29 years old.
--Weal is a career 52.7% FO winner, but those numbers are highly inflated by 1 good year. His 5 seasons saw him at 55.6%, 50%, 49.7%, 48.5%, and 45.7%
--In 5 seasons, he's taken only 1004 faceoffs. The large majority of those came in his one solid faceoff year, 599 FO taken, 55.6% won.

I look at all of that above, and go back to what I said earlier......where is the "This guy is head and shoulders better than X player on our roster right now?" I don't see it. A few points here, a few percentage points there, a 28 year old....I just don't see the reason to bring Weal in. And this is how it is with many of the waiver wire type players.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,312
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Saying "I wonder if they considered" is not the same as an outright calling to pick someone up off of waivers. It's been repeated time and again on this board about their lack of center depth, especially a right handed one. Weal put up good numbers in juniors and was mvp on a Calder Cup team so he is not devoid of talent. But hey, let's just stick with the $700k guys that no one else wanted and who couldn't get a bigger contract and think they are the answer to why we lost to Montreal the way we did!

I'm familiar with Jordan Weal's name. I remember seeing him play in games, but, I am certainly no expert but here's what I see:

--isn't an NHL regular. 14, 23, 69, 63, 49 games over the past 5 seasons.
--his .32 career pts per game is .01 higher than Jankowski
--he's never broken 10 goal or 30 point plateaus
--Evan Rodrigues was 2nd in NCAA scoring behind only Jack Eichel. How's that working out for him?
--It would be one thing if Weal 23 or 24, a few years removed from Juniors and never got much of an NHL shot. Maybe then I'd look at those WHL numbers and be impressed and see a glimmer of hope. Weal turns 29 in April. I don't think he's going to suddenly find his Junior scoring touch at 28/29 years old.
--Weal is a career 52.7% FO winner, but those numbers are highly inflated by 1 good year. His 5 seasons saw him at 55.6%, 50%, 49.7%, 48.5%, and 45.7%
--In 5 seasons, he's taken only 1004 faceoffs. The large majority of those came in his one solid faceoff year, 599 FO taken, 55.6% won.

I look at all of that above, and go back to what I said earlier......where is the "This guy is head and shoulders better than X player on our roster right now?" I don't see it. A few points here, a few percentage points there, a 28 year old....I just don't see the reason to bring Weal in. And this is how it is with many of the waiver wire type players.


Pretty much my feelings on Weal. I see the value in his type of player, but he seems to project to be basically the same player as Rodrigues. Rodrigues actually has a higher point per game total, at .36. Both RH, both capable of playing all three forward positions, both quick and smallish. Rodrigues 27, Weal 28. The biggest difference is Erod carries half the cap hit.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,937
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Saying "I wonder if they considered" is not the same as an outright calling to pick someone up off of waivers. It's been repeated time and again on this board about their lack of center depth, especially a right handed one. Weal put up good numbers in juniors and was mvp on a Calder Cup team so he is not devoid of talent. But hey, let's just stick with the $700k guys that no one else wanted and who couldn't get a bigger contract and think they are the answer to why we lost to Montreal the way we did!

I'm familiar with Jordan Weal's name. I remember seeing him play in games, but, I am certainly no expert but here's what I see:

--isn't an NHL regular. 14, 23, 69, 63, 49 games over the past 5 seasons.
--his .32 career pts per game is .01 higher than Jankowski
--he's never broken 10 goal or 30 point plateaus
--Evan Rodrigues was 2nd in NCAA scoring behind only Jack Eichel. How's that working out for him?
--It would be one thing if Weal 23 or 24, a few years removed from Juniors and never got much of an NHL shot. Maybe then I'd look at those WHL numbers and be impressed and see a glimmer of hope. Weal turns 29 in April. I don't think he's going to suddenly find his Junior scoring touch at 28/29 years old.
--Weal is a career 52.7% FO winner, but those numbers are highly inflated by 1 good year. His 5 seasons saw him at 55.6%, 50%, 49.7%, 48.5%, and 45.7%
--In 5 seasons, he's taken only 1004 faceoffs. The large majority of those came in his one solid faceoff year, 599 FO taken, 55.6% won.

I look at all of that above, and go back to what I said earlier......where is the "This guy is head and shoulders better than X player on our roster right now?" I don't see it. A few points here, a few percentage points there, a 28 year old....I just don't see the reason to bring Weal in. And this is how it is with many of the waiver wire type players.

My post was not directed at you. It was at someone who had to get their digs in without mentioning names.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Hey... I won't mention your name since you apparently always think that I am talking about you anyway... As I had mentioned before, I was asked to stop responding to you out of "mercy" because you are not mature or smart enough to defend yourself. I agreed for the good of the board. However, even though I am not responding to your posts you keep at me. Well, I got an additional message from the person that requested that I leave you alone, "...then I saw his latest reply. Ah, hell, let your conscience be your guide. If someone wants to scream "Punch me in the face" enough times, who am I to say not to punch them."

So even your defenders have given up on you. Do you want me to direct my attention to you again? ...or should I keep ignoring you? I'll let you decide. You pick your fate. Like I've said before, take 5 seconds of thought before you answer. Now, thinking might hurt, and that burning smell is just the dust burning off of something that you never use... but think before you answer. I am happy to keep ignoring you, but it is your call.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,653
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.


Anderson went there on a PTO right after Lundqvist fell through. They just finally signed him.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:12 pm

Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.


Anderson went there on a PTO right after Lundqvist fell through. They just finally signed him.

I am now informed on why not Anderson. Thank you.

Point stands though... I don't feel GMJR is looking at goalies.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,653
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.

D'Orio will be in wheeling as soon as Trotman is healthy. Larmi was just recalled from his loan in Europe (along with Drozg and Lindgren) to start heading to WBS. If we need another goalie beyond Lagace, I would expect it to be Larmi. He's more experienced, and has played against men in Liiga.

If we get beyond Jarry or DeSmith, we're already in trouble anyways.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,312
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:23 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.


Anderson went there on a PTO right after Lundqvist fell through. They just finally signed him.

I am now informed on why not Anderson. Thank you.

Point stands though... I don't feel GMJR is looking at goalies.


There's not much to look at. The best of the remaining options are probably Jimmy Howard and Mike Condon.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,937
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.

D'Orio will be in wheeling as soon as Trotman is healthy. Larmi was just recalled from his loan in Europe (along with Drozg and Lindgren) to start heading to WBS. If we need another goalie beyond Lagace, I would expect it to be Larmi. He's more experienced, and has played against men in Liiga.

If we get beyond Jarry or DeSmith, we're already in trouble anyways.


Somewhere people were talking about GMs being lazy and just signing players that aren't good, or old, or whatever, but they have been in the league so just sign that guy again... That kind of thing. Anderson is in that mold. He is going to be 40, and over the last 3 seasons he has the highest GAA of anyone with over 55 games played. I am more happy that Rutherford didn't sign him than if he had. I thought that it was unnecessary for the Caps to sign Lundqvist, except to feed their need for bringing in rival players. They it was really unnecessary when they PTO'd Andersen.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:Craig Anderson to Caps for 700K 1yr apparently. Might have been a useful taxi squad goalie signing; a guarantee for a .900 Sv% with the Sens before.

I don't care about Anderson, but I'm not sure the org is looking for goalies of that sort. Lagacé/D'Orio don't inspire enough confidence to want to call them up in case (heaven forbid) Jarry gets tested positive. Even as pure backups.

D'Orio will be in wheeling as soon as Trotman is healthy. Larmi was just recalled from his loan in Europe (along with Drozg and Lindgren) to start heading to WBS. If we need another goalie beyond Lagace, I would expect it to be Larmi. He's more experienced, and has played against men in Liiga.

If we get beyond Jarry or DeSmith, we're already in trouble anyways.

Tell that to Moose Hedberg and Patrick Lalime.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,025
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby iceolater on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:56 am

Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:22 am

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 am

iceolater wrote:Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.

So you want to have a team that hasn't won the cup for 45 years? They've actually - for the first time in 20 years - kept a goalie that had potential. We'll see if they keep this one if he has a non-stellar year. The reason Philly teams so rarely win championships is that ownership of all teams actually listen to fans that call for getting rid of star players and coaches. Also see Cleveland Browns, who just won their first playoff game since they came back into existence - and for the same reason.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,025
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Ericf on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 am

iceolater wrote:Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.


It’s delusional to think we’re getting a future young star for 34 year old Malkin and 33 year old Letang. We’re not getting anyone back who’s as good or better at their positions, and who’s going to help Sid win another Cup in the next few years. That’s the reality. The Pens won’t get back another 2L center (who’s really a first) or another RD who can play 24 minutes. That’s the reality. They have to do what they’ve been doing (and what Boston and Philly did), which is build around them. Unfortunately the GM is listening to a stale coach and neither of them are putting successful personnel and schemes around them. We should have been keeping our first round picks for the last three years
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby KG on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Forward lines at practice remained the same.

On defense MP moved up with Marino and Matheson was paired with Ruh. Ceci was with Riikola. See if that’s the lineup for tonight.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,876
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby no name on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Kapenan would of helped more in the lineup and helped us slot the forwards better. Not that he is the reason we lost. Wondering what he was doing waiting this long to get his papers in order. would of helped if he was hanging with the guys and getting those scrimmages in.

2 of the goals i give Jarry a pass on both were great deflections, D needed to tie their guys up more. The other 4 goals... ??

A losing streak of any lenght can be the difference in making the playoff this year with a shortened season. We need to right the ship tonight, also so the flyers don't get in our heads.

I might be starting the Ricola watch thread. Sullivan has his way about him.

Jankowski looked good in the scrimmages and game 1, might be the best 3C since Bones.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,217
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:26 pm

no name wrote:Kapenan would of helped more in the lineup and helped us slot the forwards better. Not that he is the reason we lost. Wondering what he was doing waiting this long to get his papers in order. would of helped if he was hanging with the guys and getting those scrimmages in.

2 of the goals i give Jarry a pass on both were great deflections, D needed to tie their guys up more. The other 4 goals... ??

A losing streak of any lenght can be the difference in making the playoff this year with a shortened season. We need to right the ship tonight, also so the flyers don't get in our heads.

I might be starting the Ricola watch thread. Sullivan has his way about him.

Jankowski looked good in the scrimmages and game 1, might be the best 3C since Bones.

My understanding is that he wasn't allowed to start the process until he had a definitive start date and it's a 45 day process. Nothing he could have done about it. The league didn't set the start date of camp early enough.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,025
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
no name wrote:Kapenan would of helped more in the lineup and helped us slot the forwards better. Not that he is the reason we lost. Wondering what he was doing waiting this long to get his papers in order. would of helped if he was hanging with the guys and getting those scrimmages in.

2 of the goals i give Jarry a pass on both were great deflections, D needed to tie their guys up more. The other 4 goals... ??

A losing streak of any lenght can be the difference in making the playoff this year with a shortened season. We need to right the ship tonight, also so the flyers don't get in our heads.

I might be starting the Ricola watch thread. Sullivan has his way about him.

Jankowski looked good in the scrimmages and game 1, might be the best 3C since Bones.

My understanding is that he wasn't allowed to start the process until he had a definitive start date and it's a 45 day process. Nothing he could have done about it. The league didn't set the start date of camp early enough.

That is the correct description of the immigration process per Taylor Haase, who did research on it. I think it would be one thing if Kapanen was the only person having this issue. There is half a dozen...Kapanen, Khudobin, Soderberg, Kylington, Granlund....and possibly Hornqvist are the ones I am aware of.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,312
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby iceolater on Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Ericf wrote:
iceolater wrote:Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.


It’s delusional to think we’re getting a future young star for 34 year old Malkin and 33 year old Letang. We’re not getting anyone back who’s as good or better at their positions, and who’s going to help Sid win another Cup in the next few years. That’s the reality. The Pens won’t get back another 2L center (who’s really a first) or another RD who can play 24 minutes. That’s the reality. They have to do what they’ve been doing (and what Boston and Philly did), which is build around them. Unfortunately the GM is listening to a stale coach and neither of them are putting successful personnel and schemes around them. We should have been keeping our first round picks for the last three years



No it's not delusional to think we can't get someone back if we trade them. What is delusional is to think we just waste our time away and over pay these 2 knuckle heads because we don't want to break apart the big 3. This is a business. It sure is not run like one but a team that is run on emotions because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. They have had good players around them...Letang just keeps his partner out to dry by cheating all the time and allowing mega 2 on 1's. I would take a Hayes and a Patrick over Malkin any day. The big question is, how much longer is Sid going to put up with it? His time is nearing the end. Wonder if he would like to end his career with a team like Montreal and another chance to win 1 more cup before he is done. I just don't see it happening under the Pens Management and Ownership.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:22 am

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:08 pm

iceolater wrote:
Ericf wrote:
iceolater wrote:Same old story...Play 2 periods and then stop. Malkin is skating around like he was hired to star in Disney on Ice. Letang getting caught in our offensive zone is a rerun of last year. Until we fall out of love with the BIG 3, this team will never see another cup. We must move either one of them to have a chance now and prepare for the last several years that Crosby has in a Pens uniform. There are teams that would be willing to trade for either of these 2 and provide us with possibly a future star and a few picks not too mention free up cap space. Look how Philadelphia has improved and put together a solid team with a few stars combined with their young prospects who are showing promise already. Better GM? Perhaps...but Mario and ownership have to see what we are seeing and they need to do something now! Stay tuned...it will be a long season for us Pens fans.


It’s delusional to think we’re getting a future young star for 34 year old Malkin and 33 year old Letang. We’re not getting anyone back who’s as good or better at their positions, and who’s going to help Sid win another Cup in the next few years. That’s the reality. The Pens won’t get back another 2L center (who’s really a first) or another RD who can play 24 minutes. That’s the reality. They have to do what they’ve been doing (and what Boston and Philly did), which is build around them. Unfortunately the GM is listening to a stale coach and neither of them are putting successful personnel and schemes around them. We should have been keeping our first round picks for the last three years



No it's not delusional to think we can't get someone back if we trade them. What is delusional is to think we just waste our time away and over pay these 2 knuckle heads because we don't want to break apart the big 3. This is a business. It sure is not run like one but a team that is run on emotions because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. They have had good players around them...Letang just keeps his partner out to dry by cheating all the time and allowing mega 2 on 1's. I would take a Hayes and a Patrick over Malkin any day. The big question is, how much longer is Sid going to put up with it? His time is nearing the end. Wonder if he would like to end his career with a team like Montreal and another chance to win 1 more cup before he is done. I just don't see it happening under the Pens Management and Ownership.

And none of those other general managers can see what you apparently clearly see? You call them knuckleheads, but expect a professional personnel evaluator to want to give up someone equal to them at the early points in their careers? You expect a young second-line center for Malkin. Somehow, you can see that Malkin isn't up to the role (I disagree), but expect GMs across the continent to not see it as well. Same for a first-pairing defenseman? I'd love to hear the conversation from Chuck Fletcher if you told him you would give him Malkin for Hayes and Patrick. After laughing for about twenty minutes, he'd probably politely show you the door.l
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,025
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


e-mail