Kapanen to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:09 pm

sjnhiils wrote:I thought Toronto was moving Kapanen for cap space but they are not really saving that much if they resign Rodrigues. Maybe they want to package that number one pick for a defenseman.

If they keep Rodrigues, I think they would non-qualify him, but work out a new deal maybe for 1M. He's not a 2M player right now.

I've had heard, before the Kapanen deal, that the Penguins might do something similar with Simon. Non-qualify him, but see if they can get him to sign a deal at 1M or so. They don't want to risk arbitration with Simon. Now, I'm not sold Simon has a solid place on the team.

Rutherford also added to Hallander that, they don't think he's a top 6 player, and they think Kapanen is, and they think Kapanen is a good fit for the team.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Skatingpen wrote:GMJR will walk away from the team while it burns behind him. It will be left with nothing left and the Pens will be horrible for a long time. I don’t mean to be negative but this team, on paper, should have been a lot better than they were the last 2 years, come playoffs. There is a problem here but talent has not been one of them. Has anyone else noticed that the younger deeper teams seem to fair better come playoffs? The Pens did it when they won the cup. Talent only goes so far come playoffs. Just my opinion!

Can you name a team that's won multiple cups, been in the playoffs for the at least a decade consecutively, and had a graceful decline which allowed it to reload, all while following a salary cap? If you can think of one let me know. You only acquire franchise type players drafting in the top 5, and we know that requires your team to suck.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 pm

ville5 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:I thought Toronto was moving Kapanen for cap space but they are not really saving that much if they resign Rodrigues. Maybe they want to package that number one pick for a defenseman.

If they flip Rodrigues or don't qualify him, they saved over 3 mil minus Kap's replacement.

If they don't qualify him, why get him in the first place?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:17 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

If they keep Rodrigues, I think they would non-qualify him, but work out a new deal maybe for 1M. He's not a 2M player right now.

I've had heard, before the Kapanen deal, that the Penguins might do something similar with Simon. Non-qualify him, but see if they can get him to sign a deal at 1M or so. They don't want to risk arbitration with Simon. Now, I'm not sold Simon has a solid place on the team.

Rutherford also added to Hallander that, they don't think he's a top 6 player, and they think Kapanen is, and they think Kapanen is a good fit for the team.

People probably don't want to hear it, but Kapanen just became the Penguins best RW.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 pm

It's possible they don't qualify him. He had a contentious negotiation with the Sabres last year, and his arbitration award was $2.0M. He was looking for like $2.6M. The Leafs are in the same boat as the PEns. They have to know what he'll make. Qualifying him could leave them in a bad spot.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:22 pm

From Mirtle on The Athletic, FWIW:

"Overall, this deal was a clear victory for GM Kyle Dubas. He opened cap space for help on the blue line, but he also acquired a 15th overall pick and a promising prospect in Swedish centre Filip Hallander, who the Penguins drafted in the second round in 2018. He also moved out a player the organization had grown tired of, both on the ice and off. Some teams that were initially interested in Kapanen decided against the deal after digging a little deeper into some of that. But the Leafs still had plenty of suitors for him much of the year, given his package of size and speed. That interest was enough that the futures bundle became what it did."
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1869670

I dont know on what planet Simon and Riikola gets you Domi

...and he's going to cost you around $5M per.

I suspect that trading the #1 pick likely removes Domi from consideration.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:36 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have Kapanen playing RW on the 1st line at 3.2 million instead of the combination of Simon on the first line, and paying Domi close to 5 million to be the 3C.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:41 pm

pens_CT wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have Kapanen playing RW on the 1st line at 3.2 million instead of the combination of Simon on the first line, and paying Domi close to 5 million to be the 3C.

Id rather have Domi at close to 5M than Hornqvist for 5.3M
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Rutherford said today that he doesn't see Hallander being on the same level as Kapanen, and he said doesn't see Hallander making an impact at the NHL level in the next few years, when the team is still in the window.

Rutherford also mentioned that the other pieces were simply to even out # of contracts. Lindgren, he basically said is on the light side, and said if he gains some weight/strength, he might be a good prospect. They could bring him over from MODO to WBS if they wanted to.

Aberg is signed to Traktor of the KHL for next season. He is also an RFA, so, the Penguins may not even qualify him.

Rutherford also mentioned something I said....thinks Kapanen has more and he was blocked by Marner and Matthews.

Also, it looks like GMJR may have revised slightly his shopping list....saying he wants to improve center depth behind Sid/Geno, and improve the 3rd pairing (so, I don't think he's looking at anything else top 4 wise).

Ok, if he doesn't see Lindgren as a decent prospect, get a better prospect or pick instead. It ain't rocket science. Though I do think the Pens win the trade for at least the next 3 years. Which GMJR was aiming for.

I don’t think they win this trade at all. Kapanen is a good player but he’s more of the same.

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-???-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I’m not usually one to say go get size, but an entire forward group that’s 5’11 190 lbs plus Geno doesn’t seem that good to me.

It’s still early so we’ll see but they could have done this trade in October (or whenever the draft is going to be).
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Rutherford said today that he doesn't see Hallander being on the same level as Kapanen, and he said doesn't see Hallander making an impact at the NHL level in the next few years, when the team is still in the window.

Rutherford also mentioned that the other pieces were simply to even out # of contracts. Lindgren, he basically said is on the light side, and said if he gains some weight/strength, he might be a good prospect. They could bring him over from MODO to WBS if they wanted to.

Aberg is signed to Traktor of the KHL for next season. He is also an RFA, so, the Penguins may not even qualify him.

Rutherford also mentioned something I said....thinks Kapanen has more and he was blocked by Marner and Matthews.

Also, it looks like GMJR may have revised slightly his shopping list....saying he wants to improve center depth behind Sid/Geno, and improve the 3rd pairing (so, I don't think he's looking at anything else top 4 wise).

Ok, if he doesn't see Lindgren as a decent prospect, get a better prospect or pick instead. It ain't rocket science. Though I do think the Pens win the trade for at least the next 3 years. Which GMJR was aiming for.

I don’t think they win this trade at all. Kapanen is a good player but he’s more of the same.

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-???-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I’m not usually one to say go get size, but an entire forward group that’s 5’11 190 lbs plus Geno doesn’t seem that good to me.

It’s still early so we’ll see but they could have done this trade in October (or whenever the draft is going to be).

FWIW Kapaanen is listed at 6'1" 194, so he's bigger than all of the other wingers playing in the top 6. Sure it would be great to have a guy 6'3" 210 pounds who could bang, and also have hands to score 20+ goals per season, but those guys aren't very common anymore, and those who do exist aren't traded.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:08 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:I don’t think they win this trade at all. Kapanen is a good player but he’s more of the same.

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-???-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

FWIW Kapaanen is listed at 6'1" 194, so he's bigger than all of the other wingers playing in the top 6. Sure it would be great to have a guy 6'3" 210 pounds who could bang, and also have hands to score 20+ goals per season, but those guys aren't very common anymore, and those who do exist aren't traded.

It is hard to find bigger guys who can score and if they had some size on the bottom two lines then this trade doesn’t look so bad. They have Tanev who hits everything, but he’s really not a big guy.

I couldn’t even name someone of size I’d want to get, but JR is building a team of about the same size guys and that hasn’t been working so well lately. While I love getting Kapanen, I think the trade is a loss because of the overall picture. Which of course can and will change between now and next season so more disappointed and hopeful than :scared:

When you look at the roster though, do you honestly see where JR can improve the forward position? Maybe Hornqvist goes and you revamp the 3rd line? Maybe Blueger/Tanev move up and you have McCann-Bleuger-Tanev with a newly revamped 4th line with size or keep Tanev on the 4th line? I think Blueger can score enough to center the 3rd line. Heck, the team will score so that would make the Kapanen trade look a whole lot better in the greater scheme of things.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Kapanen right away becomes the Pens #1RW and he's 24 and locked up the next 2 years at $3.2mill per. If the Pens view him as a top 6 wing, good luck finding one of those in free agency for the same price.

I don't think we needed to add Hallander in the deal. I don't see the need for that. If it was about evening up players for roster limits, go with a lesser player!

People that keep bashing JR aren't realizing he is trying to do both win now and extend the window. Marino, Zucker, Maniscalco, Kapanen. These are all younger players who can contribute now and in the future.

It's not like he's trading 1st round picks for 35 year old players or rentals. He is toeing the line of winning now and trying to remain relevant in the future.

Not an easy job...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Clearly the biggest winner coming out of the trade today is Jack Johnson.

His value(?) isn't even being discussed right now. Smart move by GMJR.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:I don’t think they win this trade at all. Kapanen is a good player but he’s more of the same.

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-???-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

It is hard to find bigger guys who can score and if they had some size on the bottom two lines then this trade doesn’t look so bad. They have Tanev who hits everything, but he’s really not a big guy.

I couldn’t even name someone of size I’d want to get, but JR is building a team of about the same size guys and that hasn’t been working so well lately. While I love getting Kapanen, I think the trade is a loss because of the overall picture. Which of course can and will change between now and next season so more disappointed and hopeful than :scared:

When you look at the roster though, do you honestly see where JR can improve the forward position? Maybe Hornqvist goes and you revamp the 3rd line? Maybe Blueger/Tanev move up and you have McCann-Bleuger-Tanev with a newly revamped 4th line with size or keep Tanev on the 4th line? I think Blueger can score enough to center the 3rd line. Heck, the team will score so that would make the Kapanen trade look a whole lot better in the greater scheme of things.

For as much as I would love Domi here, seeing what it cost for Kapanen, we don't have the capital to do that. I think Domi is worth more than Kapanen, and, I don't see a great fit for Domi.

I would still love to take a look at trying to get Sam Bennett from Calgary, whether part of a Murray package or even better, some other type of package.
Bennett or Lowry from Winnipeg, and I think both of those guys are possible. If we could get one of them without giving up Murray, then you use Murray for bottom pairing RD plus.

Still need to move Hornqvist, Bjugstad, and JJ in a perfecct world.
Still not opposed to moving McCann for the right player and with the right replacement.

Still a lot of work to be done.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BleuLineLady on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:34 pm

I dont love the deal, but I like Kapanen alot. I was hoping we would get him back at some point.

Here's something people are forgetting...he's not even 28. He's 24. His future isnt behind it, its ahead of him. He's also very fast and a bit feisty. He's the type of player the Penguins won with 3 years ago. There's no guarantee with him, but I feel good that he'll perform well.

This team just needs more youth and turnover. And this doesn't rule out Poulin for next year. We know there will be injuries and he'll have plenty of opportunities to play if he's ready.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:36 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:GMJR will walk away from the team while it burns behind him. It will be left with nothing left and the Pens will be horrible for a long time. I don’t mean to be negative but this team, on paper, should have been a lot better than they were the last 2 years, come playoffs. There is a problem here but talent has not been one of them. Has anyone else noticed that the younger deeper teams seem to fair better come playoffs? The Pens did it when they won the cup. Talent only goes so far come playoffs. Just my opinion!

Can you name a team that's won multiple cups, been in the playoffs for the at least a decade consecutively, and had a graceful decline which allowed it to reload, all while following a salary cap? If you can think of one let me know. You only acquire franchise type players drafting in the top 5, and we know that requires your team to suck.

I think the thing often over-looked is, some of these directives come from above Rutherford's head. If Lemieux/Burkle want to win at all costs now, then that's the directive Rutherford is operating under.

At some point, the continued generational talent pipeline for Pittsburgh is going to dry up...or at least have a sizeable gap. We've been blessed with Lemieux--->Jagr---->Crosby/Malkin
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 pm

Kapanen had cost certainty at a reasonable price for two more years with the cap staying flat in that time. Domi could make anywhere between $3 and $6 million since he’s an RFA. I don’t think the return for Domi would be much better than what Toronto got but I also think Rutherford massively overpaid again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-???-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

For as much as I would love Domi here, seeing what it cost for Kapanen, we don't have the capital to do that. I think Domi is worth more than Kapanen, and, I don't see a great fit for Domi.

I would still love to take a look at trying to get Sam Bennett from Calgary, whether part of a Murray package or even better, some other type of package.
Bennett or Lowry from Winnipeg, and I think both of those guys are possible. If we could get one of them without giving up Murray, then you use Murray for bottom pairing RD plus.

Still not opposed to moving McCann for the right player and with the right replacement.

Now might actually be a good time to move Rust. I think everyone on this board loves him, but he’s at his highest value right now and could get a pretty decent return. Last year at this time, I think it would have been a huge mistake to move McCann, now not so sure. I’d like to see one year as 3rd line LW to see what they have and trading now would be trading low. Maybe see what happens next year?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sams_Dog on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:55 pm

I’ve read in a few spots that the Lefs were not happy with Kapanen’s off the ice behavior. Does anyone remember what that was or have an idea?
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I think the thing often over-looked is, some of these directives come from above Rutherford's head. If Lemieux/Burkle want to win at all costs now, then that's the directive Rutherford is operating under.

At some point, the continued generational talent pipeline for Pittsburgh is going to dry up...or at least have a sizeable gap. We've been blessed with Lemieux--->Jagr---->Crosby/Malkin

It's not overlooked by me. From the day he was hired, JR was given a win now edict while Crosby and Malkin were still viable. It was clear when he was hired that his directive was to win now. His record in Carolina would never suggest that he'd move 6 of his first 8 #1 picks. It's clear that his post season conversations this season contained the same directive as every season he's been here. Win now.

The generational talent pipeline is likely never to be seen again. The Penguins have had at least one of those four on their roster at the start of every season since 1984. That's ridiculous. Yes, at some point, we'll have to see how the other half lives. Which gives credence to the win now motto. Your time is short, so do whatever you can to maximize it.

FWIW, it's what I've been seeing a lot of with people quoting unnamed scouts and coaches. The take seems to be that JR did exactly what he had to do. Try and maximize the window. Custance and Pronman from the Athletic graded the trade an A- for the Leafs, but also gave the Pens a B.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-???-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Now might actually be a good time to move Rust. I think everyone on this board loves him, but he’s at his highest value right now and could get a pretty decent return. Last year at this time, I think it would have been a huge mistake to move McCann, now not so sure. I’d like to see one year as 3rd line LW to see what they have and trading now would be trading low. Maybe see what happens next year?

It doesn't make sense to trade Rust. After starting last season by going 27 games without a goal, he has 45 in his last 100 games. At some point it's not just a hot streak, regardless of his past inconsistencies. One of the reasons they targeted Kappy was the cap hit. Which is the same reason you don't move Rust. You might get a good return, but you're completely undoing what you accomplished. Having your top 2 RW's with a cap hit of $6.7M combined allows you to spend money elsewhere.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:25 pm

You all are too funny. NO ONE is trading ANYthing of worth for Murray. He certainly isn't getting us a #1 pick. If we trade Murray, this board will explode on the return, because it won't be pretty. As far as this trade. F- It's a trainwreck. For some reason once this team gets fixated on a player, they will continually bring them back. Kapanen won't score 20, I don't care who he plays with. A top 15 for him? What a friggin joke! This team is allergic to draft picks (especially firsts)!
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby alancac98 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:33 pm

Honestly, it doesn't matter what this team does if they still have JJ on the roster next year. The off season will be graded based on whether he is on the team or not. A "D" grade can quickly turn to an "A" grade if he is gone! Just sayin'
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:59 pm

longtimefan wrote:It doesn't make sense to trade Rust. After starting last season by going 27 games without a goal, he has 45 in his last 100 games. At some point it's not just a hot streak, regardless of his past inconsistencies. One of the reasons they targeted Kappy was the cap hit. Which is the same reason you don't move Rust. You might get a good return, but you're completely undoing what you accomplished. Having your top 2 RW's with a cap hit of $6.7M combined allows you to spend money elsewhere.

I've never got the trade Rust idea and I think it comes from the fact that he has a really good contract and could be moved for a good return, but why? He's the best RW on the team now and can play with either Sid or Malkin. His production to contract cost is great. He gives a solid effort. He's not Chad Kreider but very few guys are. You only move a Rust if he's part of a package that is bringing in return a substantial upgrade to the roster.

The Kapanen trade to me SHOULD turn out to be a win for the Pens the next 2-3 years and fits with the win now philosophy. Age, contract and some speed are great fits right now.If he can't manage to do 20-25 goals a year playing on either the 1/2 lines, yeah, it will look pretty bad in hindsight and another case of JR infatuation with a player that wasn't warranted, but oh well.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins