Kapanen to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby Ericf on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:I’ve read in a few spots that the Lefs were not happy with Kapanen’s off the ice behavior. Does anyone remember what that was or have an idea?


Someone elsewhere said that he heard Kapanen pulled a Kuznetsov in Vegas. Dunno if that’s true
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby brwi on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:14 pm

Ericf wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:I’ve read in a few spots that the Lefs were not happy with Kapanen’s off the ice behavior. Does anyone remember what that was or have an idea?


Someone elsewhere said that he heard Kapanen pulled a Kuznetsov in Vegas. Dunno if that’s true


He was suspended a game for being late to practice and apparently was told to cool it some on social media.

My biggest concern is that he spent a lot of the reg season in the top-6 due to injuries and only managed 13g/23a. Hope that is an aberration.
Last edited by brwi on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,547
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby ville5 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:16 pm

So two 1sts and a 3rd and Hallander for a 2nd and 1.25 retained on Kessel? Ill take it.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,498
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:23 pm

ville5 wrote:So two 1sts and a 3rd and Hallander for a 2nd and 1.25 retained on Kessel? Ill take it.


Considering we won two cups with Kessel playing a major role, I think most people would agree.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Guerin and Minnesota reportedly had interest in Kapanen too (makes sense) but they weren't willing to move their 1st round pick...Which is 9th overall.

Minnesota and in a different boat then the Pens. They need more picks. But the fact that Toronto was asking for a 9th overall pick shows that Kapanen has some value across the league.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,087
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:33 pm

KG wrote:Guerin and Minnesota reportedly had interest in Kapanen too (makes sense) but they weren't willing to move their 1st round pick...Which is 9th overall.

Minnesota and in a different boat then the Pens. They need more picks. But the fact that Toronto was asking for a 9th overall pick shows that Kapanen has some value across the league.


Supposedly (from Pierre LeBrun) the Leafs shopped Kapanen to the teams that had a first round pick around the Penguins selection, so that probably included Minnesota's choice.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 pm

KG wrote:Guerin and Minnesota reportedly had interest in Kapanen too (makes sense) but they weren't willing to move their 1st round pick...Which is 9th overall.

Minnesota and in a different boat then the Pens. They need more picks. But the fact that Toronto was asking for a 9th overall pick shows that Kapanen has some value across the league.

I think that is why GMJR moved this early. I think he would have preferred to clean up some roster space moving guys out, but, once word got out Dubas was definitely willing to move Kapanen, Rutherford struck first.

It is a spot that they needed an upgrade. Kapanen is miles better than Simon, and he has a favorable deal. Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, Kapanen, Dumoulin, and Rust are all on what I would consider very team friendly, favorable deals.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,808
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby longtimefan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 pm

brwi wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:I’ve read in a few spots that the Lefs were not happy with Kapanen’s off the ice behavior. Does anyone remember what that was or have an idea?


Someone elsewhere said that he heard Kapanen pulled a Kuznetsov in Vegas. Dunno if that’s true


He was suspended a game for being late to practice and apparently was told to cool it some on social media.

My biggest concern is that he spent a lot of the reg season in the top-6 due to injuries and only managed 13g/23a. Hope that is an aberration.


It wasn't that much. His 5 on 5 minutes totaled 849:20 ES minutes, 185:06 with Tavares and 99:38 with Matthews. So only about a third of the time.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,019
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:37 pm

ville5 wrote:So two 1sts and a 3rd and Hallander for a 2nd and 1.25 retained on Kessel? Ill take it.


Swing... miss
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,568
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:57 pm

brwi wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:I’ve read in a few spots that the Lefs were not happy with Kapanen’s off the ice behavior. Does anyone remember what that was or have an idea?


Someone elsewhere said that he heard Kapanen pulled a Kuznetsov in Vegas. Dunno if that’s true


He was suspended a game for being late to practice and apparently was told to cool it some on social media.

My biggest concern is that he spent a lot of the reg season in the top-6 due to injuries and only managed 13g/23a. Hope that is an aberration.

I've asked a few Leafs fans who have invaded my Twitter timeline about the off ice issues. So far, one just says the "late to meeting/practice" thing happened 2-3 times, ultimately leading to his one game suspension by the Leafs. But there wasn't anything else they were aware of.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,808
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby netwolf on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 pm

The Pens traded their 4th or 5th best prospect and a pick that would've yielded a prospect likely to have been top 3 in their system for a young, fast RH, RW who had not been able to earn a top 6 job yet. Clearly the Pens are banking on him having more to give. His speed should be a big plus, but it seems like a big of an overpayment. Even more so when you read about how many other teams had inquired on Kapanen but weren't willing to give a 1st.

I'm not a big fan of this one, but at least there's a decent chance it can work out. Certainly not one of GMJRs worst deals. Probably doesn't say much for the current state of things if those are the prisms I'm viewing deals through anymore...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,827
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby Maestro on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 pm

GMJR said after the Kessel trade how much they liked Kapanen and wished they could have kept him.

They drafted him. They likely feel he is okay character-wise.

Looks like Domi won't come BUT once Pens zero in on a guy they usually get him, and I have to believe Domi is the 3rd center they want this summer.

Not sure how it happens though. I see one Montreal fan site suggesting Zucker.
Last edited by Maestro on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,325
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:07 pm

netwolf wrote:The Pens traded their 4th or 5th best prospect and a pick that would've yielded a prospect likely to have been top 3 in their system for a young, fast RH, RW who had not been able to earn a top 6 job yet. Clearly the Pens are banking on him having more to give. His speed should be a big plus, but it seems like a big of an overpayment. Even more so when you read about how many other teams had inquired on Kapanen but weren't willing to give a 1st.

I'm not a big fan of this one, but at least there's a decent chance it can work out. Certainly not one of GMJRs worst deals. Probably doesn't say much for the current state of things if those are the prisms I'm viewing deals through anymore...


When you consider that Toronto has Marner and Nylander ahead of Kapanen on the RW, not sure that it's his fault he's playing on the 3rd line.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:08 pm

Reading through Taylor Haase Q&A on DK site, see one interesting comment.

Taylor mentioned that GMJR told Molinari recently that there is a chance he may not offer QO's to ANY of their RFAs. The question came up when talking about McCann, because he is one of those guys you have to worry about getting a larger than they want arbitration award.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,808
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby sirik71 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Feels like a good trade, Kapanen nicely rounds out our top 6 and we still have pieces in place to address other areas. So it cost us our first rounder, not the first time in the past ten years and still we managed to get to the post season every year and won a couple of cups. Like the first things first mentality and looking forward to GMJR's next move.
sirik71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:43 pm

Like him or hate him here are some of Rutherford's quotes to Dejan Kovacevic about the trade:

“I’ve got Sidney Crosby. I’ve got Evgeni Malkin. When you’ve got those guys and Kris Letang, you don’t just wait for two or three years to get help through the draft. You can’t do that"... "We’ve got these guys here now, and we’re going to do everything we can to get younger around them to help them. Maybe that’ll cost us down the road. In fact, I’m sure it will. But when you’ve got a group like this …”
Last edited by pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:48 pm

Top 6 appears to be set. Next up is to upgrade the 3C and the 3D.

Trade chips: Murray, McCann (I guess, although he's only 24 and I would like to keep him at 3LW), Horny? Riikola, Bjugstad, JJ.

You also have the UFA pool. Potential 3C UFA's: Haula, Granlund?, Soderberg, Eakin.
Potential 3D UFA's: Bogosian, Tanev, Hamonic, Brody, Braun, Edmundson, TVR, Dillon.

Seems like there are some viable options in the free agent pool for what the Pens need. Always a risk with UFA in overpaying and JR has a spotty UFA history at best.

I really think JR will try to get creative and try to find a way to get Domi for 3C. McCann, Riikola +? Domi could eventually become a 2C if/when Geno moves on. If that doesn't work then deal Murray to the highest bidder for either 3C or D and fill the gaps in UFA.
Last edited by KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,087
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 pm

pens_CT wrote:Like him or hate him here are Rutherford's quotes to Dejan Kovacevic about the trade:

“I’ve got Sidney Crosby. I’ve got Evgeni Malkin. When you’ve got those guys and Kris Letang, you don’t just wait for two or three years to get help through the draft. You can’t do that"... "We’ve got these guys here now, and we’re going to do everything we can to get younger around them to help them. Maybe that’ll cost us down the road. In fact, I’m sure it will. But when you’ve got a group like this …”


He's trying to win now by building around the core with NHL ready youth. It's not an easy thing to do. Chicago struggled for a few seasons and they seem to have turned the corner potentially.

There's plenty of talent on this team right now. I really think Sully will have a short leash next season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,087
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:58 pm

KG wrote:Top 6 appears to be set. Next up is to upgrade the 3C and the 3D.

Trade chips: Murray, McCann (I guess, although he's only 24 and I would like to keep him at 3LW), Riikola, Bjugstad, JJ.

You also have the UFA pool. Potential 3C UFA's: Haula, Granlund?, Soderberg, Eakin.
Potential 3D UFA's: Bogosian, Tanev, Hamonic, Brody, Braun, Edmundson, TVR, Dillon.

Seems like there are some viable options in the free agent pool for what the Pens need. Always a risk with UFA in overpaying and JR has a spotty UFA history at best.

I really think JR will try to get creative and try to find a way to get Domi for 3C. McCann, Riikola +? Domi could eventually become a 2C if/when Geno moves on. If that doesn't work then deal Murray to the highest bidder for either 3C or D and fill the gaps in UFA.


The best chance to get Domi, is to package whatever they get for Murray and add McCann and send that to Montreal.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm

KG wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Like him or hate him here are Rutherford's quotes to Dejan Kovacevic about the trade:

“I’ve got Sidney Crosby. I’ve got Evgeni Malkin. When you’ve got those guys and Kris Letang, you don’t just wait for two or three years to get help through the draft. You can’t do that"... "We’ve got these guys here now, and we’re going to do everything we can to get younger around them to help them. Maybe that’ll cost us down the road. In fact, I’m sure it will. But when you’ve got a group like this …”


He's trying to win now by building around the core with NHL ready youth. It's not an easy thing to do. Chicago struggled for a few seasons and they seem to have turned the corner potentially.

There's plenty of talent on this team right now. I really think Sully will have a short leash next season.


I wouldn't say they have plenty of talent, the third defensive pairing is still a nightmare which needs to be fixed, and they to get a third line that can produce some offense.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 pm

I read the Athletic piece on the Kapanen trade from the Toronto perspective. Three things I picked up:

--Leafs did try Kapanen in the top 6 and it didn't work out well. However, what I read was, Kapanen was mainly playing LW when in the top 6, not RW. I've seen suggestions that Kapanen can play both sides, but, maybe it's a case of someone trying to force a fit. If you gave Kapanen the top 6 time on the RW, where he seems to be a better player, maybe the production would have been different.

--Hallander was a specific ask of the Leafs. The article mentions that Dubas really liked the player in the 2018 draft and that the Leafs were going to take him at pick #76, but Pittsburgh took him at #58 overall. So, this was a player Dubas somewhat targeted.

--At least on the surface, this was more about the Leafs creating some cap flexibility.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,808
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:08 pm

My thoughts on this trade:

We overpaid for sure. Having said that, the best player picked at 15 in the last 5 years is Kunin. He scored about 38-40 points last season and it’s 22. Kap is 24 more productive and you obviously have more of a proven, plays now with upside commodity. It makes sense. Picks at 15-30 for players have maybe a 20% chance of becoming what Kap already is.

The reason for overpayment is i believe most organizations over value 1st rd picks out of the top 10. That doesn’t negate what I said above. With our current window and core, it makes sense.

Also, we have a few things to consider. We have done 1st round- second round quality signing of college free agents in last few years. Marino wasn’t an RFA but same thing and is a successful mid to late 1st round value. Maybe higher. It’s like found money.

Also, we should have been picking are 22-28 range this year so I’m sure GMJR felt he got some lucky free extended value getting 15. That doesn’t mean he should give it away, again we overpaid but it makes allot more sense when you look at a few things.

Kap, in my opinion, is the type of player that fits the mold. Is young, has some upside still and will be hungry and is skilled enough to play top 6.

We also don’t know what else GMJR has planned with Murray. We may get back a mid to late first.

The win now strategy has its risk and overpayments, but how can we argue getting Kap NOW, knowing what you are getting for a pick that has a 20% chance of being as successful or slightly better in 5 years? 5 years it won’t matter. 3 years from now we will be looking at trying to get 1-2 top 5 picks.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 pm

FYI the Predators in 2018 traded a 1st round pick and a prospect for Ryan Hartman!

Once you get over the initial trading a 15th overall pick shock, it's a fair deal and I can see why both teams made it.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,087
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Guerin is looking to make a splash and has said big changes are coming. He already went after Jarry in the Zucker trade.

I can definitely see him going hard after Murray. Looking at their roster, they have some nice younger pieces. Centers, Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Donato. D they have Dumba, Brodin.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see JR and BG hook up on another deal. Obviously the JJ for Rask will be part of any deal :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,087
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm

KG wrote:Guerin is looking to make a splash and has said big changes are coming. He already went after Jarry in the Zucker trade.

I can definitely see him going hard after Murray. Looking at their roster, they have some nice younger pieces. Centers, Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Donato. D they have Dumba, Brodin.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see JR and BG hook up on another deal. Obviously the JJ for Rask will be part of any deal :)


JJ for Rask is not favorable for the Pens
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,568
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


cron
e-mail