Kapanen to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Kapanen to PIT

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Rodrigues wasn't part of the plan, Warsofsky is an AHLer.
Aberg is alos an AHLer and a RFA, maybe will not get qualified? Lindgren is an Addison replacement.

Kapanen, Lindgren for #15, Hallander.

Toronto fan reaction seems overwhelmingly that they love this trade for them.

I wonder if Rutherford simply has ZERO trust in his amateur scouts.

Another Rutherford trade in the L column for me.
Last edited by Jim on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:25 pm

pens_CT wrote:
penny lane wrote:Pontus Aberg- 5'11" 196. Paul Steirgerwald saying he was on the 17 Nashville roster? I don't remember him.

He's the guy who walked Maatta for the 1st goal in game 2 of the finals.

"Pontus Aberg wasn’t in the bubble and signed in the KHL for next season and was possibly only a member of this trade to balance contracts"
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:26 pm

Pens and draft picks are like oil and water….. yikes this team is going to be very bad soon. I don’t know how the Pens ownership doesn’t step in here and start mandating they hold onto picks. Next year is a wash as well…..
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:28 pm

penny lane wrote:Jesse Marshall not happy giving up Filip Hallender.
Jesse Marshall
@jmarshfof
·
3m
I don't know what I'm more confused about: the 15th overall pick, or Filip Hallander. The fact that both are involved is almost incomprehensible to me. I'm really not trying to be hyperbolic here but I do not understand any aspect of this trade.

I'm sure all are at 6 feet or shorter.

Jesse has always been big on prospects. Again neither the first round pick, nor Hallander are making this roster next season. So if Rutherford is following the win now mode, it makes sense. I guess I'll wait to see what other moves they make before I declare this one a disaster.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:28 pm

JR always liked Kapanen, not surprising to see him pay to get him back.

He is 24 signed for 2 more years at $3.2Mill. Will probably be on Sid's wing and could easily get to 30 goals.

The 15th overall pick is good trade bait for this team and where they are right now. Sure we wanted more for it, but Kapanen at his age, skill and contract is a good get for this team.

The off season is just beginning. Murray is next!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Would have been better off keeping Kahun and the #15.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:31 pm

My takes on the trade:

--At time of trade: Grade of D. This trade basically boils down to Kapanen for 15th overall AND Hallander, who is one of our better prospects. Should not have cost us both, or if it did, we should have received

--How to move it to A/B level trade: I would have liked to have seen Timothy Liljegren back in the deal instead of Lindgren. Lindgren, whom we got, was a 4th round pick, playing only 2nd pairing minutes in the AHL. Liljegren was a former 1st rounder that has struggled to earn an NHL job, but he at least has a much higher upside than Lindgren. Other option would have been getting a 2nd rounder back in return. Pittsburgh gave up one of its better prospects....so should have Toronto.

--Penguins win this trade if: Kapanen becomes a 20 goal, 60 point player. If he stays where he is now, 40 points, 15-20 goal range....it's a loss.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scpensfan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:32 pm

I totally understand folks losing their minds over GMJR mortgaging the future, but ...

I'm not sure I'm totally against going balls-out to maximize the championship window. Not that it makes THIS a good deal, but I totally understand the logic of wanting a player that can help immediately, as opposed to five years down the line.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:33 pm

CapFriendly's who won the trade poll is at about 40-2 Toronto.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 pm

KG wrote:JR always liked Kapanen, not surprising to see him pay to get him back.

He is 24 signed for 2 more years at $3.2Mill. Will probably be on Sid's wing and could easily get to 30 goals.

The 15th overall pick is good trade bait for this team and where they are right now. Sure we wanted more for it, but Kapanen at his age, skill and contract is a good get for this team.

The off season is just beginning. Murray is next!

He was playing most frequently with Marner and Taveras then Matthews and Nylander in the 1st half of last season. Then got bumped to bottom 6 duty.

If 30 is the line ill take the under HARD
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 pm

Jim wrote:CapFriendly's who won the trade poll is at about 40-2 Toronto.

Lol, they aren't wrong. The 15th overall and a prospect should get you more than a bottom 6 forward.
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My takes on the trade:

--At time of trade: Grade of D. This trade basically boils down to Kapanen for 15th overall AND Hallander, who is one of our better prospects. Should not have cost us both, or if it did, we should have received

--How to move it to A/B level trade: I would have liked to have seen Timothy Liljegren back in the deal instead of Lindgren. Lindgren, whom we got, was a 4th round pick, playing only 2nd pairing minutes in the AHL. Liljegren was a former 1st rounder that has struggled to earn an NHL job, but he at least has a much higher upside than Lindgren. Other option would have been getting a 2nd rounder back in return. Pittsburgh gave up one of its better prospects....so should have Toronto.

--Penguins win this trade if: Kapanen becomes a 20 goal, 60 point player. If he stays where he is now, 40 points, 15-20 goal range....it's a loss.

Trust the process....I'm thinking the want for Murray and demand has increased to mid first pick level...Look at Ottawa...they need a franchise goalie and have not one but three first round picks. Just watch.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:--How to move it to A/B level trade: I would have liked to have seen Timothy Liljegren back in the deal instead of Lindgren. Lindgren, whom we got, was a 4th round pick, playing only 2nd pairing minutes in the AHL. Liljegren was a former 1st rounder that has struggled to earn an NHL job, but he at least has a much higher upside than Lindgren. Other option would have been getting a 2nd rounder back in return. Pittsburgh gave up one of its better prospects....so should have Toronto.

Oh F... I had the wrong guy. I thought the Pens lost this trade when I thought that it was the good prospect.

Yep, I am 100% on the Rutherford gotta go boat.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:My takes on the trade:

Trust the process....I'm thinking the want for Murray and demand has increased to mid first pick level...Look at Ottawa...they need a franchise goalie and have not one but three first round picks. Just watch.

You keep the 15th and get another for Murray, then you bundle the two in order to move up.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:--How to move it to A/B level trade: I would have liked to have seen Timothy Liljegren back in the deal instead of Lindgren. Lindgren, whom we got, was a 4th round pick, playing only 2nd pairing minutes in the AHL. Liljegren was a former 1st rounder that has struggled to earn an NHL job, but he at least has a much higher upside than Lindgren. Other option would have been getting a 2nd rounder back in return. Pittsburgh gave up one of its better prospects....so should have Toronto.

Oh F... I had the wrong guy. I thought the Pens lost this trade when I thought that it was the good prospect.

Yep, I am 100% on the Rutherford gotta go boat.

You are not alone. I was like, Lindgren???? Isn't it Liljegren? WHAT, there's two guys with similar names? Did GMJR have a mouth full of PF Changs when he asked for Liljegren and it came out Lindgren? Did little James Rutherford smack dad in the mouth with the putter, and the name came out wrong?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:40 pm

pens_CT wrote:If true, I hope they aren't giving up our first round pick in the deal.

LOL
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:40 pm

This is why I said Rutherford should have been fired after elimination, now he is trying save his job and it will burn the Penguins org to the ground.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:42 pm

Lesky wrote:This is why I said Rutherford should have been fired after elimination, now he is trying save his job and it will burn the Penguins org to the ground.

He should have hired Botterill to talk him off the ledge. This deal is absurd
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cim2217 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 pm

Since Jimmy is on a roll acquiring former Pens (Sheary/Kapanen) lets get Filip Gustavsson back from Ottawa in a Murray trade.
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:44 pm

We now have 8.8M in bottom 6 RWs with Hornqvist and Tanev.

My God....
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:44 pm

pens_CT wrote:
penny lane wrote:Jesse Marshall not happy giving up Filip Hallender.
Jesse Marshall
@jmarshfof
·
3m
I don't know what I'm more confused about: the 15th overall pick, or Filip Hallander. The fact that both are involved is almost incomprehensible to me. I'm really not trying to be hyperbolic here but I do not understand any aspect of this trade.

I'm sure all are at 6 feet or shorter.

Jesse has always been big on prospects. Again neither the first round pick, nor Hallander are making this roster next season. So if Rutherford is following the win now mode, it makes sense. I guess I'll wait to see what other moves they make before I declare this one a disaster.

This was Jesse's tweet a few minutes ago on his take of Hallander:

To Leafs fans, I would sum up Hallander by saying he's a faster version of Patric Hornqvist. Used a lot in the low-to-high slot as a deflection/screen opportunity. Kills pucks in boards. Appeared on the PK/PP throughout his development. Unremarkable shot, more locational scorer.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Jim wrote:Rodrigues wasn't part of the plan, Warsofsky is an AHLer.
Aberg is alos an AHLer and a RFA, maybe will not get qualified? Lindgren is an Addison replacement.

Kapanen, Lindgren for #15, Hallander.

Toronto fan reaction seems overwhelmingly that they love this trade for them.

I wonder if Rutherford simply has ZERO trust in his amateur scouts.

Another Rutherford trade in the L column for me.

You consider it a L because:

(A) You expect the first round pick would make the team next year

(B) You love seeing Simon on the first line

(C) You see Hallander as the next Markus Naslund

(D) You don't see next year's team as being a contender regardless of who they acquire, so they just might as well sell
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:47 pm

KG wrote:He is 24 signed for 2 more years at $3.2Mill. Will probably be on Sid's wing and could easily get to 30 goals.

What makes you assume this? All the talent he played with in Toronto?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:47 pm

This is just the beginning folks, just sit back and wait for the fireworks that are coming up! Rutherford is out of control, and nobody is stopping him :pop:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins