Bjugstad to Minny

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby Hatrick on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:57 pm

KG wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Win now has always referred to the Crosby/Malkin window. I'm a little perplexed that nobody seems to believe that the real dollar savings isn't important. In a league where teams are so concerned about finances that many apparently are hoping to set an internal cap $5M-$10M under the actual cap. Every business, big or small, has to be conscious of expenditures. Putting yourself in a hole for the final season of the era seems very shortsighted.

I believe the JR criticism is over the top and largely two faced. You're a genius when it works, a buffoon when it doesn't. People complain about trading futures, but turn around and complain when they consider the future. Was signing JJ thinking about the future? The answer is yes. They felt he would be a fit. Not just JR. The staff was on board. The reason for the 5 years, as you pointed out a while back, was to keep the cap hit down. Was he thinking ahead with Horny? He absolutely was. Otherwise he wouldn't have structured the contract to remove his NTC after the upcoming season. Of course, the pandemic has put everybody in a bind.

You complain about all the messes. But look around the league. JVR is owed $7M for 3 more years, and was a healthy scratch for part of the playoffs. How about Kyle Turris and his $6M cap hit for 4 more seasons in Nashville? Chicago hopes Seabrook can't come back with 4 years left at $6.875M for 4 more years. It expires when he's 39. The Pens do not have a contract outside of Crosby's that will expire beyond the age of 35. Look around. Those contracts exist all over the league. It's handicapped the Wings, Hawks, and Kings for years. JR didn't give a lot of term to older players until Horny, JJ, and Tanev. But they were seen as being able to help during the window, and their contracts were knowingly set to expire afterward.

I will strongly disagree with your assessment that JR never has an eye to the future. If that were the case, he'd bring in UFA's at the deadline for a playoff push indiscriminately. He structured the '16 Cup winning team so as to bring back the ENTIRE team less Lovejoy for the next season. Unheard of in today's league. The Hawks had to re-structure because of the cap after each Cup win. The Pens brought everybody back. It can't be done forever, and he eventually had to let Bonino, Daley, and Kunitz walk. But he set out to do the same thing again. If the Brassard deal would have panned out, it was set up to bring everybody back again. How many UFA's leave on an annual basis? This season it's Schultz, Marleau, and Sheary. Nothing of real note. Some believed JR was shortsighted by ONLY signing Schutz for 3 years. JR made the right call. Bringing in Sheary and Marleau were exceptions this season. Partly in response to the closing window. Many on here thought this was the deepest set of forwards the team has had since Crosby was drafted. Even then, both players were brought in with an eye toward retaining them if they proved successful. Hainsey was brought in to address an emergency. Streit was no more than depth. Perhaps we could have gotten Taylor Hall for the price of Zucker. How would that look now? Every acquisition he's made of note has been with an eye toward multiple seasons.

When the Pens were on top, everybody wanted to know JR's secret. He mentioned that every move had to have not only the current season in mind, but subsequent seasons as well. He was referring specifically to cap management. You have to think one and two years down the road. You have to know what's on the horizon. Such as Marino's deal. Having term allows you to blueprint your team moving forward. There's a drawback, since it limits what you can do in free agency. An argument with some merit in some circumstances. But it's not been JR's MO since he's been here with the exception of the 1st season when he was given very little time to study the franchise. So he did what was prudent and gave out all one year deals. Since then, I can't remember any one year deals except Cullen.

Armchair GM's sit here and cry old and senile. Armchair GM's who have no clue about what's going on behind the scenes. Armchair GM's will ***** and moan when the cap starts in a $1.75M hole next season. I guess you believe that Guerin really wanted to put the screws to JR? Minny has the cap room to absorb Nick's full cap hit. But not if Guerin is under pressure to cut payroll. You can't believe that JR couldn't have done better. Even though he's likely had conversations with every other GM in the league. Even though many of the league insiders are predicting chaos because of teams looking to cut payroll.

JR is not a perfect GM. But he was voted into the HOF by his peers. The only older GM in the league was just given the GM of the year award. Look around. Which team has managed the cap better since it's implementation? The Wings, Hawks, and Kings? That's the comparisons. Teams that win and try to stay near the top. Teams whose players are justly awarded for contributing to a championship.

JR makes moves. When you do that, you're open to criticism. Like the beating he took when acquiring Zucker. Tunnel vision. Jumping to conclusions. Then watching Tampa trade two 1sts and a top 50 prospect to bring in Coleman and Goodrow. People felt that Rust was severely overpaid. A contract some believe they should move now while Rust's value he high. Which is counter intuitive to a win now mode. A $3.5M cap hit who has 45 goals in his last 100 games? A huge part of the Kapenen trade was his $3.2M cap hit for the next two seasons. Two seasons. Not one. The window.

Hindsight is always 20/20. People complained nearly as much about Tanev's contract as they did JJ's. Any GM making moves is going to make good and bad moves. JR has never been afraid to make moves. He's always been able to dig out. The pandemic is a new challenge.

JR has to consider next season as well as this one. Regardless, there will be ******** and moaning next offseason too. Reserve judgement until you see what other moves are made around the league. I suspect he is much more attuned than all of us put together in terms of the climate. Something his quotes were clear about if you read them. Saving an extra $1.45 this season by buying Bjugstad out while carrying an additional penalty of $1.75M next is very shortsighted. Especially if the Pens are planning to spend to the cap in a season many will not be. You start with an advantage.

You're very cynical about what you believe is next. I realize the Pens are the only team we care about, but not understanding the climate around the league is foolish. Have you figured out how Tampa is going to navigate with just over $5.3M in cap space with a roster of 15? Penguin fans are the most spoiled in the league and it's not close. The chances of winning a cup is slim and none. But that's every year in a league of 31 teams. The Pens' success is their curse.

So far there have been three trades in the league. Two by the Pens. They are being judged in a vacuum. Let's see how it plays out between now and next year's deadline. Not the start of the season. The deadline. That's been true since the '80's. But any suggestion JR makes moves without considering the future is false. Period. At least as it relates to the cap. In this case, that future has two seasons remaining. Not one.


Good post, and I agree. JR has been trying to re-tool the team and keep supporting the core by bringing in young, but established players. ie Zucker. 27 year old 30 goal scorer. They don't grow on trees. Kapanen, 24 year old top 6 wing. etc.

If he didn't care about the future he would be trading for rental UFA's or trading real assets for expensive veterans.

He has a hard job in trying to re-tool the supporting cast while trying to remain a contender. I'll take JR and his aggressiveness any day compared to a sit on your hands type of GM who is afraid to make a move.

I don't have a problem with being aggressive, I have a problem with being so aggressive that you make seemingly stupid moves rather than wait for a better deal. In most cases no deal is better than a bad one IMO.

As for the real dollar amount, maybe burkle and Mario really did say we really need to save this million dollars even if it makes the team worse but I doubt it. They have been a team that has spent to the cap for years and probably planned to for the remainder of the window(i.e the Crosby/malkin era). We really do not know since we were not involved in those discussions.

I do think GMJR does TRY very hard to think multiple years ahead. It just doesn't always turn out right.

Also as for Zucker and Kapanen, Zucker has only scored 30 goals ONCE, the next highest was 22. Zuckers cap hit is part of the issue right now, for the amount Rutherford gave up he NEEDED to get retention but did not. If he had either got even 1.5million retained or just gave up less assets then it wouldn't have been as bad of a trade. Kapanen is on a very reasonable deal but I would not call him a proven top 6 player. So both of those trades are not in favor of Rutherford at this point in time. Hopefully they do turn out better in the longrun than they look right now cause they both look bad as of today. The other major problem also from this year is the amount of money Rutherford threw at pettersson. If he had saved another 1million per year there plus the 1.5million on Zucker, that makes up for the frankly stupid retention on Bjugstad. But because he made the prior two errors it makes this error look worse. Those three errors combine for over 4million on the cap. Hopefully they turn out better than they appear currently, that has happened in the past(for example I will be the first to admit I thought the Rust extension was terrible, but Rust did dramatically improve his play to turn a bad contract into a good one)
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:29 am

sjnhiils wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I totally understand that GMs make moves and they don't turn out as planned. Like i said in a previous post, what bothers me is casual fans called out how dumb the JJ signing was, how we'd regret the Hornqvist deal, and how the Tanev deal was bad in both amount and term. The casual fan predicted correctly how detrimental they were but our GM couldn't see it? That's what bothers me, the casual fan shouldn't be a better evaluator of talent.


A subset of casual fans call out every transaction as dumb so of course they pound their chest when they are “right”. I always go back to how many ******** and moaned when we brought in Shultz and Lovejoy. 80+% of the posts were negative...Message board posters really shouldn’t take themselves so seriously.

I lump myself in here to btw...i just like to talk and read about hockey, but the yinzer struggle is real and fairly embarrassing to boot. I haven’t liked Pittsburgh sports fans for quite some time, but Pens fans I always thought were better than many if our peers. Now they are just spoiled know it alls...

Yea, it's only Pittburgh fans that blame the goalie,coach ,g.m., quarterback, and the starting pitching. It's just as bad if not worse in most other cities. There is enough of ripping the yinzer fans on Madden"s show already!!


Regarding hockey specifically, you're wrong buddy pal. I go to games all over, and the lack of knowledge in PPG Paints is without a doubt near the bottom. Maybe it's a culmination of having top end skill and a young(er) fan base who've been spoiled by success since Gen X....whatever the reason, what you hear in the stands is downright embarrassing.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:46 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I totally understand that GMs make moves and they don't turn out as planned. Like i said in a previous post, what bothers me is casual fans called out how dumb the JJ signing was, how we'd regret the Hornqvist deal, and how the Tanev deal was bad in both amount and term. The casual fan predicted correctly how detrimental they were but our GM couldn't see it? That's what bothers me, the casual fan shouldn't be a better evaluator of talent.


A subset of casual fans call out every transaction as dumb so of course they pound their chest when they are “right”. I always go back to how many ******** and moaned when we brought in Shultz and Lovejoy. 80+% of the posts were negative...Message board posters really shouldn’t take themselves so seriously.

I lump myself in here to btw...i just like to talk and read about hockey, but the yinzer struggle is real and fairly embarrassing to boot. I haven’t liked Pittsburgh sports fans for quite some time, but Pens fans I always thought were better than many if our peers. Now they are just spoiled know it alls...

Yea, it's only Pittburgh fans that blame the goalie,coach ,g.m., quarterback, and the starting pitching. It's just as bad if not worse in most other cities. There is enough of ripping the yinzer fans on Madden"s show already!!


Regarding hockey specifically, you're wrong buddy pal. I go to games all over, and the lack of knowledge in PPG Paints is without a doubt near the bottom. Maybe it's a culmination of having top end skill and a young(er) fan base who've been spoiled by success since Gen X....whatever the reason, what you hear in the stands is downright embarrassing.

I've been to many arenas myself and I do not notice a surge in the fan intelligence meter. What do you hear at PPG Paints? "Shoot the the puck" when they are on the pp? Give us other examples of embarrassment ? I agree that there is a different crowd at the games now but that is the result of higher ticket prices that have driven a lot of the real fans away. At least tickets have dropped dramatically on Stubhub and the Ticket Exchange so some of those fans are now able to make it to some games.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,948
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby Skatingpen on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 am

Woooooo wooooooo, remember that phase? Now that was too much!!! ;)
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,495
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby longtimefan on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Hatrick wrote:
KG wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Also as for Zucker and Kapanen, Zucker has only scored 30 goals ONCE, the next highest was 22. Zuckers cap hit is part of the issue right now, for the amount Rutherford gave up he NEEDED to get retention but did not. If he had either got even 1.5million retained or just gave up less assets then it wouldn't have been as bad of a trade. Kapanen is on a very reasonable deal but I would not call him a proven top 6 player. So both of those trades are not in favor of Rutherford at this point in time. Hopefully they do turn out better in the longrun than they look right now cause they both look bad as of today. The other major problem also from this year is the amount of money Rutherford threw at pettersson. If he had saved another 1million per year there plus the 1.5million on Zucker, that makes up for the frankly stupid retention on Bjugstad. But because he made the prior two errors it makes this error look worse. Those three errors combine for over 4million on the cap. Hopefully they turn out better than they appear currently, that has happened in the past(for example I will be the first to admit I thought the Rust extension was terrible, but Rust did dramatically improve his play to turn a bad contract into a good one)


But that's the situation you deal with. At the time they acquired Zucker, he was a necessity because of the Guentzel injury. There's no way the Wild were going to retain salary. Zucker was one of the more appealing players available at the deadline. They could have moved him elsewhere. It wouldn't have been in their best interest to retain salary. You are correct he's only scored 30 goals once. But fans have expectations that are beyond realistic. Look at this list.

Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Kessel, Guentzel.

Those are the only wingers since Jagr left to score 30 goals as a Pens winger. None of them did it more than once in a Pens uniform. Only Kessel and Neal have done it elsewhere. That's an awfully high watermark.

Kapanen's appeal is his potential to be a top 6 forward. Which is all you can expect to get with such a cap friendly deal. No, he's not proven. But a proven top 6 guy on the open market would likely double that cap hit. Sometimes you've got to project.

I know a lot of people don't like Pettersson's contract, but it was considered fair around the league. Rasmus Andersson was an excellent comparable signed shortly before. The blame for the crunch is the pandemic, not the contracts. They had full expectations of a $3M-$6M increase in the cap.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,863
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby ville5 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
KG wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Also as for Zucker and Kapanen, Zucker has only scored 30 goals ONCE, the next highest was 22. Zuckers cap hit is part of the issue right now, for the amount Rutherford gave up he NEEDED to get retention but did not. If he had either got even 1.5million retained or just gave up less assets then it wouldn't have been as bad of a trade. Kapanen is on a very reasonable deal but I would not call him a proven top 6 player. So both of those trades are not in favor of Rutherford at this point in time. Hopefully they do turn out better in the longrun than they look right now cause they both look bad as of today. The other major problem also from this year is the amount of money Rutherford threw at pettersson. If he had saved another 1million per year there plus the 1.5million on Zucker, that makes up for the frankly stupid retention on Bjugstad. But because he made the prior two errors it makes this error look worse. Those three errors combine for over 4million on the cap. Hopefully they turn out better than they appear currently, that has happened in the past(for example I will be the first to admit I thought the Rust extension was terrible, but Rust did dramatically improve his play to turn a bad contract into a good one)


But that's the situation you deal with. At the time they acquired Zucker, he was a necessity because of the Guentzel injury. There's no way the Wild were going to retain salary. Zucker was one of the more appealing players available at the deadline. They could have moved him elsewhere. It wouldn't have been in their best interest to retain salary. You are correct he's only scored 30 goals once. But fans have expectations that are beyond realistic. Look at this list.

Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Kessel, Guentzel.

Those are the only wingers since Jagr left to score 30 goals as a Pens winger. None of them did it more than once in a Pens uniform. Only Kessel and Neal have done it elsewhere. That's an awfully high watermark.

Kapanen's appeal is his potential to be a top 6 forward. Which is all you can expect to get with such a cap friendly deal. No, he's not proven. But a proven top 6 guy on the open market would likely double that cap hit. Sometimes you've got to project.

I know a lot of people don't like Pettersson's contract, but it was considered fair around the league. Rasmus Andersson was an excellent comparable signed shortly before. The blame for the crunch is the pandemic, not the contracts. They had full expectations of a $3M-$6M increase in the cap.

Don't know if this has been posted.
https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-at-least-1 ... -1.1522380
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,302
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby longtimefan on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:51 pm

ville5 wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
KG wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Also as for Zucker and Kapanen, Zucker has only scored 30 goals ONCE, the next highest was 22. Zuckers cap hit is part of the issue right now, for the amount Rutherford gave up he NEEDED to get retention but did not. If he had either got even 1.5million retained or just gave up less assets then it wouldn't have been as bad of a trade. Kapanen is on a very reasonable deal but I would not call him a proven top 6 player. So both of those trades are not in favor of Rutherford at this point in time. Hopefully they do turn out better in the longrun than they look right now cause they both look bad as of today. The other major problem also from this year is the amount of money Rutherford threw at pettersson. If he had saved another 1million per year there plus the 1.5million on Zucker, that makes up for the frankly stupid retention on Bjugstad. But because he made the prior two errors it makes this error look worse. Those three errors combine for over 4million on the cap. Hopefully they turn out better than they appear currently, that has happened in the past(for example I will be the first to admit I thought the Rust extension was terrible, but Rust did dramatically improve his play to turn a bad contract into a good one)


But that's the situation you deal with. At the time they acquired Zucker, he was a necessity because of the Guentzel injury. There's no way the Wild were going to retain salary. Zucker was one of the more appealing players available at the deadline. They could have moved him elsewhere. It wouldn't have been in their best interest to retain salary. You are correct he's only scored 30 goals once. But fans have expectations that are beyond realistic. Look at this list.

Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Kessel, Guentzel.

Those are the only wingers since Jagr left to score 30 goals as a Pens winger. None of them did it more than once in a Pens uniform. Only Kessel and Neal have done it elsewhere. That's an awfully high watermark.

Kapanen's appeal is his potential to be a top 6 forward. Which is all you can expect to get with such a cap friendly deal. No, he's not proven. But a proven top 6 guy on the open market would likely double that cap hit. Sometimes you've got to project.

I know a lot of people don't like Pettersson's contract, but it was considered fair around the league. Rasmus Andersson was an excellent comparable signed shortly before. The blame for the crunch is the pandemic, not the contracts. They had full expectations of a $3M-$6M increase in the cap.

Don't know if this has been posted.
https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-at-least-1 ... -1.1522380


That just confirms what I've been saying. Although, "the report" that the Pens were one of the teams trying to cut payroll I believe is in response to the Athletic article. Which JR debunked through Molinari shortly after, saying he had the green light to spend to the cap. He would like a bit of room, but it doesn't look practical. His latest comments is that he'd like to shed enough salary to be a player in free agency. That again goes against a payroll cutting thought process.

The Bruins requested their Jack Adams Award-winning coaching staff forego playoff bonuses to avoid hockey operations salary cuts. In June, the Blackhawks instituted a tiered staff reduction starting at 20 per cent for employees earning more than $200,000, while also eliminating bonuses.

The Buffalo Sabres are the only coaching staff to reject a request for a voluntary pay reduction. Sources indicated that the Sabres staff had pay reduced by 20 per cent from April 1 until July 13, at which point they turned down a subsequent request for a 25 per cent reduction.

Almost universally, NHL coaches – high up on the front office food chain – accepted the reductions without complaint because doing so meant that layoffs would not be necessary for other hockey operations positions, including scouts and analysts.



What is clear is that there is more carnage to come. Two Canadian clubs – Calgary and Winnipeg – just cut employee pay, effective Sept. 1. Other teams are considering outright furloughing employees. There is a trickle-down effect that will eventually drip to players and roster construction in free agency and beyond.

Sources say the Sabres are considering an internal salary cap in the low $70 million range; the Arizona Coyotes, who recently failed to make on-time signing bonus payments to a number of players, may be operating just south of $70 million under their next GM; the Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly planning to budget in the low-to-mid $70 million range on an $81.5 million limit.

Around the league, from Florida to Vancouver, GMs are in discussion with ownership seeking spending latitude. There will be opportunities to acquire talented players from teams who can no longer afford them – either on an internal budget or with a frozen salary cap.

“These are crazy times,” one NHL team president said Thursday, “and there is no real light at the end of the tunnel.”


Here is a list of the NHL franchises who have enacted pay cuts that include GMs, coaches and hockey operations department staff, according to team and league sources:

Anaheim Ducks: A 20 per cent reduction for salaries of $70,000 to $250,000, increasing to 25 per cent for salaries north of $250,000, through Dec. 31, 2020.

Boston Bruins: Requested coaches forego playoff bonuses for 2019-20 in order to avoid salary reductions.

Buffalo Sabres: After a 20 per cent reduction from April 1 to July 13, Sabres coaching staff rejected a request to take a voluntary 25 per cent reduction moving forward.

Calgary Flames: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff, effective Sept. 1.

Chicago Blackhawks: A 20 per cent reduction for salaries above $200,000, 15 per cent reduction for $100,000 to $200,000, with the elimination of bonuses.

Columbus Blue Jackets: Requested coaches forego playoff bonuses for 2019-20 in order to avoid salary reductions.

Dallas Stars: Full salaries reinstated on July 13 following a 30 per cent reduction in June and a 20 per cent reduction prior to June.

Edmonton Oilers: Top three coaches deferred 25 per cent for the year; a 25 per cent reduction for salaries of $150,000 or more, a 15 per cent reduction for salaries of $100,000 to $150,000 and a 10 per cent reduction for salaries under $100,000.

Los Angeles Kings: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff through Sept. 2020.

Minnesota Wild: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff salaries of $150,000 or more.

Montreal Canadiens: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff. Coaches were reinstated to full pay, but will only receive 80 per cent with the other 20 per cent to be paid at a later date.

Nashville Predators: Requested staff forego salary increases until fans return to the arena for games as opposed to a salary reduction.

Ottawa Senators: A 50 per cent reduction for all staff; coaching staff reinstated with full pay retroactive to July 13.

Pittsburgh Penguins: A 25 per cent reduction for all staff through Nov. 30, 2020.

St. Louis Blues: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff. Coaches reinstated to full pay on July 13.

Vancouver Canucks: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff. Coaches reinstated to full pay on July 13.

Winnipeg Jets: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff effective Sept. 1.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,863
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:39 pm

ville5 wrote:https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-at-least-17-nhl-teams-have-reduced-pay-amid-covid-19-crunch-1.1522380


This has to do with front office. Back in April or May, or whenever it was, the Penguins had let go / laid off a group of office people.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Bjugstad to Minny

Postby Hatrick on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 am

longtimefan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
KG wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Also as for Zucker and Kapanen, Zucker has only scored 30 goals ONCE, the next highest was 22. Zuckers cap hit is part of the issue right now, for the amount Rutherford gave up he NEEDED to get retention but did not. If he had either got even 1.5million retained or just gave up less assets then it wouldn't have been as bad of a trade. Kapanen is on a very reasonable deal but I would not call him a proven top 6 player. So both of those trades are not in favor of Rutherford at this point in time. Hopefully they do turn out better in the longrun than they look right now cause they both look bad as of today. The other major problem also from this year is the amount of money Rutherford threw at pettersson. If he had saved another 1million per year there plus the 1.5million on Zucker, that makes up for the frankly stupid retention on Bjugstad. But because he made the prior two errors it makes this error look worse. Those three errors combine for over 4million on the cap. Hopefully they turn out better than they appear currently, that has happened in the past(for example I will be the first to admit I thought the Rust extension was terrible, but Rust did dramatically improve his play to turn a bad contract into a good one)


But that's the situation you deal with. At the time they acquired Zucker, he was a necessity because of the Guentzel injury. There's no way the Wild were going to retain salary. Zucker was one of the more appealing players available at the deadline. They could have moved him elsewhere. It wouldn't have been in their best interest to retain salary. You are correct he's only scored 30 goals once. But fans have expectations that are beyond realistic. Look at this list.

Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Kessel, Guentzel.

Those are the only wingers since Jagr left to score 30 goals as a Pens winger. None of them did it more than once in a Pens uniform. Only Kessel and Neal have done it elsewhere. That's an awfully high watermark.

Kapanen's appeal is his potential to be a top 6 forward. Which is all you can expect to get with such a cap friendly deal. No, he's not proven. But a proven top 6 guy on the open market would likely double that cap hit. Sometimes you've got to project.

I know a lot of people don't like Pettersson's contract, but it was considered fair around the league. Rasmus Andersson was an excellent comparable signed shortly before. The blame for the crunch is the pandemic, not the contracts. They had full expectations of a $3M-$6M increase in the cap.
the pandemic greatly exacerbates the problem and brings attention to it, but that contract is part of the problem, the contract wouldn't do them in if it did increase by 4-5million cause it would cancel out the salary increase, but that doesn't make it a good idea to give out like candy.

I do think Kapanen does have the potential to be a top 6 forward(and not just as a creation of Sid, Simon was a top 6 winger simply for that reason for example) and hopefully he does turn into that.

As for Zucker, while you wanted to get somebody because of the Guentzel injury, the worst deals are made when you don't allow yourself to walk away, the key to being a GM is knowing when to walk away. I don't think GMJR knows when to. You ALWAYS have the choice. If they were asking that much and wouldn't retain, let them fleece another team.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


e-mail