Detailed Analysis of The Penguin trades of GMJR

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Detailed Analysis of The Penguin trades of GMJR

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:07 pm

As a newly devoted GMJR hater, I've decided to review EVERY trade GMJR has made since coming to the Penguins to see really, how well has he done here. I am using a 1-5 grading scale for each trade, 1 being lowest (or comparable to F grade) and 5 being the highest (comparable to an A grade). At the end, I will take all the grades, and come up with a composite score based on all the grades. I am also going to put a number in parenthesis for each time GMJR has traded away a player before completing 1 full season with the team. I tried to base these trades on the end value. As an example, while the Brassard trade was looked at somewhat positive at the time, it ended up being an F because Brassard bombed here miserably and the cost was high.

For my grading scale
--5(A) - Player(s)/asset(s) Penguins received had a major impact on the team (ie, Kessel, Hornqvist)
--4(B) - Player(s)/asset(s) Penguins received was a solid contributor
--3(C) - Neither the assets received nor the assets given away had a major impact
--2(D) - Player(s)/asset(s) other team received had a bigger impact for their team, or acquiring player underperformed compared to cost to acquire.
--1(F) - Player(s)/asset(s) other team received had a major impact on the other team, or acquiring player a significant bust for cost to acquire.

In total, GMJR has made 55 trades in his Penguins tenure. Out of those trades:
--I had only 5 trades rated as a 5 or A level:
----->Acquiring Hornqvist, as he was a major component of 2 Cups and a much needed element to the roster
----->Acquiring Kessel, as he was a major component of 2 Cups
----->Acquiring Nick Bonino, because he was a major component of 2 Cups
----->Acquiring Trevor Daley, because he contributed to a Cup and Scuderi had the value of Jack Johnson.
----->Acquiring John Marino
--I gave GMJR 14 4 or B level grades:
----->Acquiring Ian Cole
----->Acquiring Ben Lovejoy
----->Acquiring Carl Hagelin (this was very close to a C/3 due to what we gave up for Perron and trading him away so soon. Hagelin's impact on Cups elevated this one)
----->Acquiring Justin Schultz
----->Acquiring a 5th round pick for Mike Condon (who GMJR picked up off waivers)
----->Acquiring Ron Hainsey
----->Acquiring Jamie Oleksiak
----->Acquiring a 2nd round pick for a 3rd and a 5th (pick became Hallander)
----->Acquiring Marcus Pettersson
----->Acquiring Erik Gudbranson
----->Acquiring a 3rd for a 4th, 5th and 7th (3rd became Legare)
----->Acquiring Galchenyuk and POJ
----->Acquiring Zucker
----->Acquiring Kapanen (I have this listed as an incomplete, with the expectation this will end up a B/4 grade)
--I gave GMJR 5 F/1 level grades:
----->Acquiring Daniel Winnik (he was the player du jour and a total bust here. 2 picks including a 2nd plus Zach Sill needed to get him)
----->Acquiring Derick Brassard
----->Acquiring the same 4th back for Jamie Oleksiak (he fell out of favor after his Tom Wilson fight, but he has played well back with Dallas. Would be great to have him right now)
----->Acquiring Patrick Marleau (A complete bust here)
----->Acquiring nothing for Nick Bjugstad (I gave an incomplete, but I expect to be F; yes, cap space was gained, but GMJR did not maximize that space and literally gets nothing in return; may get bumped to D)
--I gave GMJR 11 D/2 level grades:
----->Acquiring David Perron (Perron had a short stay here; it cost them a 1st, which was their lowest 1st since this season, and became Mathew Barzal)
----->Acquiring Matias Platcha and a 7th (Traded away Plonikov. A complete bust of a signing, didn't last a season)
----->Acquiring Frank Corrado (Corrado did nothing; Fehr and Oleksiak weren't special, and the pick was a 4th....but Corrado didn't pan out)
----->Acquiring Ryan Reaves (Sundqvist was serviceable, and Reaves had a short stay)
----->Acquiring a 4th for Hunwick and Sheary (it cleared cap space, which is why it's not an F, but, again, it's GMJR cleaning up his own mistakes)
----->Acquiring Tanner Pearson (Upset the balance of the locker room, and Pearson had a short stay)
----->Acquiring Joseph Blandisi (Another summer UFA signing that only lasted a few months, yet, Derek Grant has had continued success elsewhere)
----->Acquiring Nick Bjugstad and Jared McCann (Gave up a ton to get Brassard, gone less than a year, 3 picks also in this deal. Bjugstad now gone, and McCann is a question mark)
----->Acquiring Andreas Martinsen (Another player dealt in under a year. This was for cap purposes; GMJR cleaning up more mess)
----->Acquiring John Nyberg (Nyberg is gone, and Palve was YET ANOTHER UFA signing who was brought in for depth and possible to push for 4th line time. Only lasted a few months)
----->Acquiring Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues (They didn't help, and again, GMJR gives up on a player here less than a year)
--I gave GMJR 20 grades of C/3:
----->Acquiring Rob Klinkhammer
----->Acquiring Max Lapierre
----->Acquiring Dustin Jeffrey, James Melindy, Daniel O'Donaghue
----->Acquiring a 3rd for Beau Bennett
----->Acquiring Danny Kristo
----->Acquiring Mark Streit
----->Acquiring nothing for a 2nd to Vegas (to pick Fleury)
----->Acquiring Andrey Pedan and a 4th
----->Acquiring Riley Sheahan and a 4th
----->Acquiring Michael Leighton and a 4th
----->Acquiring Josh Jooris
----->Acquiring 7th for a 7th (different years)
----->Acquiring Ben Sexton and Macoy Erkamps
----->Acquiring Blake Siebenthaler for nothing (conditional 7th that wasn't met)
----->Acquiring Chris Wideman
----->Acquiring Domink Kahun
----->Acquiring 7th for a 7th (different years, again)
----->Acquiring Graham Knott
----->Acquiring Kevin Roy
----->Acquiring Riley Barber and Phil Varone.

With those grades, GMJR's overall grade works out to 3.054 repeating. That's a hair above average. Some other notes:
--I ended up putting the results here in a different way, so I didn't include the players traded away with less than a full season. It ended up being 16 players, and that doesn't include ones that he may have acquired and then let walk as UFAs. The 16 players with short tenures were:
---Rob Klinkhammer, David Perron, Sergei Plotnikov, Mike Condon, Danny Kristo, Ryan Reaves, Matt Hunwick, Derek Grant, Jamie Oleksiak, Derick Brassard, Tanner Pearson, Erik Gudbranson, Oula Palve, Dominik Kahun, Evan Rodrigues, and Nick Bjugstad.
--There were 19 A and B level trades. 10 of those 19 occurred from GMJRs start up to the point of the expansion draft. 4 of the 5 A level trades all occurred before the expansion draft (ie, during the 2 Cup run). The summer after winning the 2nd Cup, things took a turn for the wose.
--From the summer after the cup to present, 12 of the 16 D/F grades occurred from that point.

If I graded GMJR to the point before he made his first post back to back Cup trades, GMJR made 20 trades 4 A/5 trades, 6 B/4 trades, 6 C/3 trades, 3 D/2 trades, and 1 F/1 trade. His grade at this point is 3.45. He's in C+B- territory here. 50% of his trades here are better than average, and only 20% of his trades are below average. 30% of his trades are average. He's winning more than he's losing or pushing even.

Starting with the post back to back Cup summer, GMJR made 35 trades. 1 A/5 trade, 8 B/4 trades, 14 C/3 trades, 8 D/2 trades, and 4 F/1 trades. His grade from that point to present is 2.828. He's now in C- / D+ territory. Only 25% of his trades are better than average. 34% of his trades are below average. 40% of his trades are average. 74.x% of his trades are average or worse.

Willing to discuss/debate trade grades, but, unless a large number of people see grades that need to be raised 2-3 levels, it won't change the values much. Tracking the UFA signings may be something harder to track down, but, I may give it a go.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Detailed Analysis of The Penguin trades of GMJR

Postby Hatrick on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:44 pm

some of the more recent ones are very tough to grade although we can lean one way or another. Personally I would lower the Zucker deal as for right now cause it was too much of an overpay still imo(especially if GMJR was gonna turn around and send Minnesota another gift with the bjugstad trade). The Galchenyuk and POJ for kessel one is another one that I would say is a C(mainly cause the whole deal solely hinges on POJ playing in the NHL).

Overall I think most of the trades are pretty accurate, and does illustrate why the team won back to back cups and then hasn't done great since then. The trades prior to that turned out tremendously well. The trades since then while some are still a work in progress have largely been outright bad, and even the good ones have been B level trades, not home runs.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:17 am

This is outstanding. 2 cups boost the overall for me to above average. Take the same list with not cups and say somewhat competitive off seasons - then he’s average. Another thing a GM is set a coaching staff. I’d give him an A- for this.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:18 am

This is outstanding. 2 cups boost the overall for me to above average. Take the same list with not cups and say somewhat competitive off seasons - then he’s average. Another thing a GM is set a coaching staff. I’d give him an A- for this.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 am

Hatrick wrote:some of the more recent ones are very tough to grade although we can lean one way or another. Personally I would lower the Zucker deal as for right now cause it was too much of an overpay still imo(especially if GMJR was gonna turn around and send Minnesota another gift with the bjugstad trade). The Galchenyuk and POJ for kessel one is another one that I would say is a C(mainly cause the whole deal solely hinges on POJ playing in the NHL).

Overall I think most of the trades are pretty accurate, and does illustrate why the team won back to back cups and then hasn't done great since then. The trades prior to that turned out tremendously well. The trades since then while some are still a work in progress have largely been outright bad, and even the good ones have been B level trades, not home runs.

I think the Kessel trade to AZ got the Pens about the same that they gave up to get him, minus the 1st round pick. I think what lowers this is the completely unexpected bad play by Galchenyuk. I didn't expect him to be a 30-40 goal scorer, but should have gotten 20 goals easily with his skills and playing with Geno. If he plays anywhere close to his capabilities it makes that trade look better and removes the need to trade for Zucker.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:16 am

He would have done better if Tom Wilson didn’t live rent free in his head for awhile.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:17 am

And the Vegas expansion draft didn’t help.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 am

This chart basically shows your analysis; its awful

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am

Funny thing is when most of these trades have been made over the past few years, most here thought they were good trades at the time (Brassard, Bjugstad for example). So we are grading the trades with hindsight being 20/20 because the players brought in didn't produce?I look at the players listed above that he brought in, there are some really good players. Kessel trade to Arizona isn't fair to grade as Phill would only agree to go there. MAF to Vegas? come on, that's serious revisionist history. We all thought the Pens had their next franchise goalie for the next 15 years in Murray and they needed Fleury's cap space. The ones that didn't work (Brasard, Reaves etc). Is that on the GM or the coach? I put more of the blame on the coach and not adjusting to the players he's given.

Some are minimizing what JR quickly added to this team and turned it into back to back champions. Most coaches and GM's go their entire career's not winning anything (Poile)

I like JR's style. He isn't afraid to make moves and is always looking for ways to improve the team.

When you have a gunslinger approach you have to live with the good and the bad. The good has far outweighed the bad. Now would I like to see him try to win more trades? sure, but his approach is he isn't going to let a prospect like Hallander, or a draft pick get in the way of the big picture in getting a player he feels helps this team. Again, I like that approach as well.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:03 am

KG wrote:Funny thing is when most of these trades have been made over the past few years, most here thought they were good trades at the time (Brassard, Bjugstad for example). So we are grading the trades with hindsight being 20/20 because the players brought in didn't produce?I look at the players listed above that he brought in, there are some really good players. Kessel trade to Arizona isn't fair to grade as Phill would only agree to go there. MAF to Vegas? come on, that's serious revisionist history. We all thought the Pens had their next franchise goalie for the next 15 years in Murray and they needed Fleury's cap space. The ones that didn't work (Brasard, Reaves etc). Is that on the GM or the coach? I put more of the blame on the coach and not adjusting to the players he's given.

Some are minimizing what JR quickly added to this team and turned it into back to back champions. Most coaches and GM's go their entire career's not winning anything (Poile)

I like JR's style. He isn't afraid to make moves and is always looking for ways to improve the team.

When you have a gunslinger approach you have to live with the good and the bad. The good has far outweighed the bad. Now would I like to see him try to win more trades? sure, but his approach is he isn't going to let a prospect like Hallander, or a draft pick get in the way of the big picture in getting a player he feels helps this team. Again, I like that approach as well.

Say Murray didnt regress over the last 3 seasons; the Pens would need to sign him to a 7M-8M deal. If Murray was still the franchise goalie how could we afford him?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:06 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:Funny thing is when most of these trades have been made over the past few years, most here thought they were good trades at the time (Brassard, Bjugstad for example). So we are grading the trades with hindsight being 20/20 because the players brought in didn't produce?I look at the players listed above that he brought in, there are some really good players. Kessel trade to Arizona isn't fair to grade as Phill would only agree to go there. MAF to Vegas? come on, that's serious revisionist history. We all thought the Pens had their next franchise goalie for the next 15 years in Murray and they needed Fleury's cap space. The ones that didn't work (Brasard, Reaves etc). Is that on the GM or the coach? I put more of the blame on the coach and not adjusting to the players he's given.

Say Murray didnt regress over the last 3 seasons; the Pens would need to sign him to a 7M-8M deal. If Murray was still the franchise goalie how could we afford him?

Every team has cap issues, much worse teams than ours. The Ducks have less than $500,000 in cap space. If that was reality with Murray then you could move Horny and JMFJ to clear space. It happens all the time. The Rangers have $1.4mill in dead cap space for the next 3 years for buying out Shattenkirk, Perry in Anaheim over $2mill the next 3 years. The Jackets owe Hartnell $1,250,000 this year.

Compared to most, the Pens cap has been well handled.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:30 pm

So GMJR turned a 1st,2nd,3rd,(2) 4th's,Gustavsson,Cole and Reaves into McCann(or what we can get for him), a conditional 7th and Almeida. Great asset management!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Brassard trade is nowhere near an F. He was the top dog at the deadline and GMJR didn't give much to get him. It's not GMJR's fault Brassard played through an injury his whole time here. A bruised ego is hard to repair, especially in prima donnas.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:36 pm

sjnhiils wrote:So GMJR turned a 1st,2nd,3rd,(2) 4th's,Gustavsson,Cole and Reaves into McCann(or what we can get for him), a conditional 7th and Almeida. Great asset management!

Boom.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:37 pm

ville5 wrote:Brassard trade is nowhere near an F. He was the top dog at the deadline and GMJR didn't give much to get him. It's not GMJR's fault Brassard played through an injury his whole time here. A bruised ego is hard to repair, especially in prima donnas.

Agreed. It was a great get, he just fell flat on his face. Nobody saw that coming. It’s not as if there were years worth of stats that said he’d stink like another acquisition.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby ville5 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:38 pm

KG wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Every team has cap issues, much worse teams than ours. The Ducks have less than $500,000 in cap space. If that was reality with Murray then you could move Horny and JMFJ to clear space. It happens all the time. The Rangers have $1.4mill in dead cap space for the next 3 years for buying out Shattenkirk, Perry in Anaheim over $2mill the next 3 years. The Jackets owe Hartnell $1,250,000 this year.

Compared to most, the Pens cap has been well handled.

If Henrique didn't have the extra year, Id help them save $500k. Horny for Henrique.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:25 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:Brassard trade is nowhere near an F. He was the top dog at the deadline and GMJR didn't give much to get him. It's not GMJR's fault Brassard played through an injury his whole time here. A bruised ego is hard to repair, especially in prima donnas.

Agreed. It was a great get, he just fell flat on his face. Nobody saw that coming. It’s not as if there were years worth of stats that said he’d stink like another acquisition.

I stand by my grade. The issue here is setting a standard criteria for the trades, and sticking to it. I was a huge fan of the trade, and I would agree it was a good get. But, the standard I used for grading the trades, across the board was, the impact the players acquired or traded away had post-trade.

Brassard was horrible here, and GMJR gave up a 1st, and one of their top goalie prospects, and Ian Cole, and Ryan Reaves. Judging by what Brassard did here (nada), and what Cole and Reaves have done for the teams they want to, this is a clear F.

Gotta stick to a standard and stick with it for all trades, otherwise, you start getting really opinionated results of when you apply a standard and when you don't.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

I stand by my grade. The issue here is setting a standard criteria for the trades, and sticking to it. I was a huge fan of the trade, and I would agree it was a good get. But, the standard I used for grading the trades, across the board was, the impact the players acquired or traded away had post-trade.

Brassard was horrible here, and GMJR gave up a 1st, and one of their top goalie prospects, and Ian Cole, and Ryan Reaves. Judging by what Brassard did here (nada), and what Cole and Reaves have done for the teams they want to, this is a clear F.

Gotta stick to a standard and stick with it for all trades, otherwise, you start getting really opinionated results of when you apply a standard and when you don't.

By that standard then, Kessel for POJ and Galchenyuk =F lol.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:48 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

By that standard then, Kessel for POJ and Galchenyuk =F lol.

Trading Cole resulted in the signing of JJ. For that alone I give the trade an F
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Well that top goalie prospect hasn't had a season with a 0.900 save percentage yet in the AHL. Looks more like a bust than a prospect. No doubt the Brassard trade didn't help the Penguins at all, but nobody at the time was critical of the deal. Was it Rutherford's fault that little game Brass put his ego ahead of the team?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:02 pm

You could make the argument that although the Florida trade didn't really pan out, GJMR got younger in Bjugstad and McCann and they gave up a couple of spare parts and mid picks.

Even with Bjugstad bombing because he couldn't stay healthy, McCann is the best player in the trade. Not sure how that deal isn't considered a win. You make that trade 100 times out of 100.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:36 pm

KG wrote:You could make the argument that although the Florida trade didn't really pan out, GJMR got younger in Bjugstad and McCann and they gave up a couple of spare parts and mid picks.

Even with Bjugstad bombing because he couldn't stay healthy, McCann is the best player in the trade. Not sure how that deal isn't considered a win. You make that trade 100 times out of 100.

Brassard's attitude aside i think his style of play
had a lot to do with playing style. It doesn't come as a surprise to me that Brassad has played better in defensive systems. He was good in Ottawa and is better with NYI and wasn't as good with Pittsburgh and Colorado.

If the Pens got JG Pageau at the deadline I think he likely would have struggled here, hes playing very well for the NYI.

Bjugstad while not healthy still to me wasnt a stylistic fit, McCann is better but inconsistent. I think the Pens need to really look at style of play when going after their next 3C. Haula looks to be the best fit for style of play but mark it down he'll cost at least 4M. That's more than the Pens can afford.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Southern Fan wrote:He would have done better if Tom Wilson didn’t live rent free in his head for awhile.

So should had drafted Wilson over Pouliot. Actually every player taken between Pouliot and Maatta would had been a better pick.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ericf on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 pm

DelPen wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:He would have done better if Tom Wilson didn’t live rent free in his head for awhile.

So should had drafted Wilson over Pouliot. Actually every player taken between Pouliot and Maatta would had been a better pick.

That was Ray Shero buddy...
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm

I'm willing to say 2 Cups >>>> any number of bad trades. But I also think that we're entering an era where the Pens will need to be really creative and smart about re-tooling/rebuilding on the fly to avoid completely cratering like they did in the early '00s, and it's becoming pretty clear that Rutherford is not the GM to be in charge of doing that.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins