Hornqvist Traded to Panthers for Matheson

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Hornqvist Traded to Panthers for Matheson

Postby pens_CT on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:34 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:"When I found out Pittsburgh didn't want me and Florida wanted me, it was an easy choice." - Patric Hornqvist today to media...

Also, per Panthers, Hornqvist will wear #70 for Florida.

Grow up Patric, it's a business.

What do you want him to say? I enjoyed my time in Pittsburgh but now I'm looking forward to joining a team that's basically been irrelevant since it joined the NHL 27 years ago?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:38 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My problem is, if you have McCann-Tierney-Tanev as your 3rd line (and you could put Sceviour there in place of Tanev), you are putting a lot of pressure on McCann to be the goal scorer on that line. I would like to see them get a consistent 17-20 goal, 40 point consistent player for the 3rd line. I don't have a name, but, that is one of the bigger issues for me.

What is the point of our 3rd line? Is it to be another offensive line? Is it to be a defensive line (And if yes, than what is role of 4th line)? Is it to be a big gritty line (checks roster, nope!).

But, by GMJRs words, it still would not shock me if another 3C was brought in, nor would it shock me if McCann was moved.

Tanev had 14 goals his last season in Winnipeg. Why can't he be asked to score 15-20 goals? If McCann can score 20 and Tierney scores 10-15 what's wrong with that production from a 3rd line?

I see this as a 1 year fix until Poulin is ready then I look to move McCann for a RW who can score 20 and put Tanev back on the 4th line.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:"When I found out Pittsburgh didn't want me and Florida wanted me, it was an easy choice." - Patric Hornqvist today to media...

Sounds a bit immature...I would have expected him to keep that type of response to himself and use it as motivation internally. He should know it’s a numbers game unless he was one of the “too comfortable” culprits....

He's the same off ice as on. Meaning, he wears his emotions on his sleeve. I remember Mark Recchi openly crying when the Pens traded him in the Tocchet deal. I have no problems with it. It's tough and he was shocked.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Love you Horny. But we all knew once you signed that extension you weren't going to be here for the duration of the contract.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:11 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My problem is, if you have McCann-Tierney-Tanev as your 3rd line (and you could put Sceviour there in place of Tanev), you are putting a lot of pressure on McCann to be the goal scorer on that line. I would like to see them get a consistent 17-20 goal, 40 point consistent player for the 3rd line. I don't have a name, but, that is one of the bigger issues for me.

What is the point of our 3rd line? Is it to be another offensive line? Is it to be a defensive line (And if yes, than what is role of 4th line)? Is it to be a big gritty line (checks roster, nope!).

But, by GMJRs words, it still would not shock me if another 3C was brought in, nor would it shock me if McCann was moved.

Right after the season, JR said they preferred McCann on the wing. I wouldn't be shocked if he was traded, but I doubt it at this point. He's young with a favorable contract. Only $2.5M in real dollars the first season. Poulin is listed as a LW/RW. I don't know which he predominantly played in Junior. If he's comfortable on the right, he could replace Tanev on that line. I still expect them to bring in a 3C, although I think it's more likely they go the free agent route. Haula would be a possibility, but a long shot with his likely new contract. There will be others available through buyouts. A good candidate there might be Bozak, although he'd be an older stop gap. McCann-Haula-Tanev would be one of the faster lines in the league.

On the other hand, if Poulin can play the 3RW, Tanev could be moved over to LW with Blueger, and Sceviour could play the right side. There's still a number of possibilities. Including McCann ending up the 3C. Or even Blueger.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm

One of the best things about Hornqvist is that he shows all of his emotions and passion. Now everyone is whining about him showing some fire with that (harmless and accurate) quote. I agree with the comments about a little growing up needed, but it isn't Hornqvist that needs to grow up.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penguins Knight on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:35 pm

First, thank you, Patric Hörnqvist, for six years service and helping the Penguins to two Stanley Cup championships. I would gladly welcome back Hörnqvist if he retires a Penguin.

Second, welcome Colton Scoviour and Michael Matheson. Scoviour is a depth right wing who will become an unrestricted free agent in 2021. Matheson is a left defenseman who plays better defense and contributes to point production if needed. He is an upgrade from Jack Johnson.

Third, the Penguins will need to address their defensemen situation. They hade depth on the left side. They lack talent and depth on the right side. I hope the acquisition of Matheson makes Johnson expendable on the trade market.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:23 pm

Penguins Knight wrote:First, thank you, Patric Hörnqvist, for six years service and helping the Penguins to two Stanley Cup championships. I would gladly welcome back Hörnqvist if he retires a Penguin.

Second, welcome Colton Scoviour and Michael Matheson. Scoviour is a depth right wing who will become an unrestricted free agent in 2021. Matheson is a left defenseman who plays better defense and contributes to point production if needed. He is an upgrade from Jack Johnson.

Third, the Penguins will need to address their defensemen situation. They hade depth on the left side. They lack talent and depth on the right side. I hope the acquisition of Matheson makes Johnson expendable on the trade market.

Sceviour.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:12 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Penguins Knight wrote:First, thank you, Patric Hörnqvist, for six years service and helping the Penguins to two Stanley Cup championships. I would gladly welcome back Hörnqvist if he retires a Penguin.

Sceviour.

Did you say "Savior"?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Did anyone hear the radio interview today with GMJR? Apparently on the Mark Madden show? Apparently he Said Pettersson or Dumo won’t be Traded and that Jack Johnson would have to play his off side to make the lineup. He said he doesn’t plan on being active in FA market. Say what? He’s got to be maneuvering to hold value. No way we start the season with this many LHD and a bottom pair of Pettersson and Johnson. Yikes if true
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 pm

Just listened to it. It was true. He did say someone could get moved out still. But it looks like that would be one of JJ or JR. we need to package Murray, JJ and Simon for a bag of pucks and get some cap space.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:53 am

Luckybreak wrote:
Hatrick wrote:On paper I am not a fan of this deal although it could be worse(basically the last 5 deals GMJR made before this were worse). On the ice and the lockerroom is where I am more worried. Trading Hornqvist is a loss in that regard and tough to replace.

One thing that's worried me for a while is HCMS seems to hate players with personality and/or a physical game. Anyone who is vocal with the press etc or seems like someone who would speak up in locker room is gone (other factors involved, but Cole, Reaves, Big Rig now Horny gone).

I will really like this trade if JJ and MP are traded, never got the MP love and if MM can resolve his deficiencies could be a solid top 4 and contribute to PP. I've always been a fan of Riikola, good skater, physical, hard shot. Will be vast improvement over JMFJ.

Lots of things still need to happen for this trade to be a success but if they do, I think it could be a good one from the old man despite losing one of my favourite players.

I don't think this was necessarily the same type of case, Cole was in the doghouse, Reaves barely got any minutes, so the dislike from Sullivan was obvious, I don't know if there was some dislike from Sullivan in this case as well or if that played into it at all. It would be nice if they can send MP and JJ away for picks. (without retaining...). (speaking of being in Sullivan's doghouse, hopefully riikola gets out of there)
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:30 am

If what was reported in the media, Horngvist was traded to another team prior to his approval. In that context, for a leak to occur prior to him being told by agent or GM, he has every right to voice his opinion.

Cashier: "Hello Pat, just heard that you were traded. I have a contact in xxx that knows how you like your chicken cooked. Here's a phone number..."

At the end of the day, yes, it is business. Contractual pay is amazing.
More than 98.999% of fans will ever see. If you love the food at xxx, see if they offer shipping.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:56 am

BigMcK wrote:If what was reported in the media, Horngvist was traded to another team prior to his approval. In that context, for a leak to occur prior to him being told by agent or GM, he has every right to voice his opinion.

Cashier: "Hello Pat, just heard that you were traded. I have a contact in xxx that knows how you like your chicken cooked. Here's a phone number..."

More than 98.999% of fans will ever see. If you love the food at xxx, see if they offer shipping.

GMJR pulled the same thing with Kessel. Trades him before seeing if he’ll accept it. If these players don’t accept it, how awkward is going to be if they stay?

Rutherford while being senile and an overrated GM, also seems like a knob.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:07 am

Was it confirmed that Pittsburgh leaked the trade early? All signs pointed to Fla organization last I heard? Both sides need to keep a lid on it....
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:19 am

murphydump55 wrote:
BigMcK wrote:If what was reported in the media, Horngvist was traded to another team prior to his approval. In that context, for a leak to occur prior to him being told by agent or GM, he has every right to voice his opinion.

GMJR pulled the same thing with Kessel. Trades him before seeing if he’ll accept it. If these players don’t accept it, how awkward is going to be if they stay?

Rutherford while being senile and an overrated GM, also seems like a knob.

I agree. How can you not keep a player you hold in such high regard in the loop?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:24 am

Apparently Hornqvist threw all his Pens gear outside in front of his house. Yikes. Sad ending.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:31 am

What JR did was likely typical. It's a business, and everyone should know that. If there's a modified NTC, the player submits a list. After finding out, shouldn't they feel bitter as well? With a full NTC, there's no list to ask for. So is it better telling them beforehand? Does that make it easier if they refuse? Or if the deal falls through? A NTC gives the player power. He has a right to say no. Initial bitterness is understandable, but you can't blame the team. It's a business. A year from now the NTC would have disappeared. He could have been moved without a say. Ultimately, it's hard to feel bad for a player who was awarded a $26.5M contract at age 31. It's part of the business. He was properly awarded for winning two cups here. The award continues in the form of his contract.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 am

Jim wrote:One of the best things about Hornqvist is that he shows all of his emotions and passion. Now everyone is whining about him showing some fire with that (harmless and accurate) quote. I agree with the comments about a little growing up needed, but it isn't Hornqvist that needs to grow up.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:05 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Apparently Hornqvist threw all his Pens gear outside in front of his house. Yikes. Sad ending.

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:07 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Apparently Hornqvist threw all his Pens gear outside in front of his house. Yikes. Sad ending.

Seriously? When I lost jobs I didn't know I was supposed to throw my tools or suits out in front of my house.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:09 am

FLPensFan wrote:

There has to be something else that we don't know about for Hornqvist to seem this upset.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:15 am

BlackNGold4Life wrote:Just listened to it. It was true. He did say someone could get moved out still. But it looks like that would be one of JJ or JR. we need to package Murray, JJ and Simon for a bag of pucks and get some cap space.

In terms of cap space, the team could trade Murray for picks/prospects, and make no other moves, and still fit Jarry, Lafferty, and Angello under the cap with a little over 500K to spare. By the way GMJR commented, it sure sounds like he is still going to try to move Johnson. GMJR had some awkward pauses when talking about Johnson, basically saying he's done here as LD (unless injury) and will have to fight for a spot on his off side.

If there is a decent Murray deal out there without Johnson, or a pure crap deal with Johnson, I'd take the better deal and live with Johnson.
The Penguins can still bury him in the AHL if they needed to. If GMJR isn't going to use the cap space....and, there isn't much more to add to this team right now, in terms of open spaces....I'm fine keeping JJ for now as a 7th/8th defenseman.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

There has to be something else that we don't know about for Hornqvist to seem this upset.

Or, maybe Hornqvist is just as emotional off the ice as he is on the ice. Hornqvist is said to be the one that caused the biggest stink when Hagelin was traded. I get it, they are pretty much best friends, but, there is a business side to things.

Hornqvist role had diminished the past 2 years. The injuries had started to occur more frequently. He wasn't as effective on the PP. His production had declined, even though his per60 rates last year were higher than normal. These are all things many smart people predicted would happen when Hornqvist signed his current deal. A bit too much money, and history says his body will begin breaking down if it hasn't already, based on the style he plays. I kind of look at this as a Steelers type of move. The Steelers have had great linebackers for years. But, besides developing those great LBs, they also have been pretty good at knowing when the decline in play is about to hit. I think back to guys like Levon Kirkland and Joey Porter. The Steelers moved on from those guys. Many people thought it was too early, but, in the end, their production declined with their new teams and they weren't in the league much longer.

Hornqvist was the first move GMJR made, and it was much needed....but like Kessel, I think Hornqvist had served his purpose and it was time to move on. While Matheson has some warts, I was actually a little surprised they were able to get a player like Matheson in return. It's a gamble and people don't like the contract, but like Matheson himself said, I think the Penguins style will suit him very well.

I know people think GMJR did something wrong here in terms of how things went down. I'm not so sure about that. I kind of think it is a normal process to have an agreement in principle with another team BEFORE going to the player. I believe most GMs want to have a deal ready to go before they get to that approval phase. It's always going to be a little ugly, but it is a business. I'm a little surprised Hornqvist was so shocked. He must not read papers or get on the internet. His name has been out there as a possibility for some time.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:33 am

Anyone still think Hornqvist doesn't need to grow up a little? That is not the actions of someone who wears their heart on their sleeve, that is the actions of a petulant child. If there is more involved then he should reveal it, because what he revealing to the public right now does not paint him in a good light.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins