Murray to OTT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Murray to OTT

Postby scpensfan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 am

Sounds like at least a 2nd.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 am

52nd overall (2nd round) and Jonathan Gruden (um, wrong sport?)
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:38 am

LW who is 20 and played for London Knights...has some upside to him from what I read.

The even better news is we have a 2nd Rd pick now and we didn't take on any salary.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 am

FLPensFan wrote:52nd overall (2nd round) and Jonathan Gruden (um, wrong sport?)

SCOUTING REPORT
The son of former NHL defenseman John Gruden has natural point-producing acumen and good hockey sense. He is equally comfortable scoring goals himself or setting up linemates. Does not have ideal size for the National Hockey League, so he needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger in order to maximize output at the highest level. Also lacks consistency.
Long Range Potential: Solid, point-producing forward with upside.

Who's 2nd round pick did we get from Ottawa?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:41 am

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:52nd overall (2nd round) and Jonathan Gruden (um, wrong sport?)

SCOUTING REPORT
The son of former NHL defenseman John Gruden has natural point-producing acumen and good hockey sense. He is equally comfortable scoring goals himself or setting up linemates. Does not have ideal size for the National Hockey League, so he needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger in order to maximize output at the highest level. Also lacks consistency.
Long Range Potential: Solid, point-producing forward with upside.

Who's 2nd round pick did we get from Ottawa?

Columbus, according to Cap Friendly
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:41 am

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:43 am

Jon... meets the pens height requirement at 6 feet. :D Good school, Miami of OH.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:45 am

I know nothing about Jonathan Gruden. I went to take a look at Corey Pronman's organizational rankings. According to Pronman, Ottawa has the 7th best prospect system. Gruden is not mentioned as a top prospect. He is listed down at the very bottom, the "NHL potential" section he has at the bottom of every org ranking article. Here is what it said:

Jon Gruden, LW, London-OHL: Gruden had a good year in London. He has skill and sense and competes well, but I don’t see many attributes that are clearly NHL-level.

Gruden is a LW, 4th round pick from 2018. He had 30 goals and 36 assists in 59 games this season for London Knights of the OHL. He is 20 years old. He sounds like a 50/50 prospect, who has as much chance of being a career AHLer as making it to the NHL.

At this point, I am fine with the deal. They clearly were not going to get a 1st. Matt Murray and his possible attitude and possible insane contract demands are now someone else's issue.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:50 am

2nd and a prospect is fine for Murray. Good to move on. The contract demands and all of the noise, no thanks.

Would have been more fun to get a Bennett for him, or an NHL player, but JR want's to be active in free agency...we'll see!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:52 am

KG wrote:2nd and a prospect is fine for Murray. Good to move on. The contract demands and all of the noise, no thanks.

Would have been more fun to get a Bennett for him, or an NHL player, but JR want's to be active in free agency...we'll see!

It would be a lot easier to be active if he could trade MP from the bottom pairing and clear another 4 million.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:52 am

It appears Murray may only be a "short term" fix for Ottawa: https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl ... pittsburgh
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:55 am

Pitts wrote:It appears Murray may only be a "short term" fix for Ottawa: https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl ... pittsburgh

3 year extension it says. Wonder what the hit is going to be!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the riddler on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:00 pm

It cost a 1st round pick for Kapanen, and the Penguins get a mid-late second round pick and a 4th round pick in 2018 for a goalie who won 2 Stanley Cups. Great, they dumped salary but that return is embarrassing.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Good luck Mr. Murray. Thanks for the memories and the Cups.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:02 pm

i would of rather got a 2nd and a 3rd, or at the least of swapped our 3rd 77th overall for their 3rd 64th overall.

but overall i think it is pretty good fit for him, and our return... beggers can't be choosers.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:02 pm

the riddler wrote:It cost a 1st round pick for Kapanen, and the Penguins get a mid-late second round pick and a 4th round pick in 2018 for a goalie who won 2 Stanley Cups. Great, they dumped salary but that return is embarrassing.

If you don't see how the financial well-being of the NHL affected this trade, then I don't know what to say.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:05 pm

the riddler wrote:It cost a 1st round pick for Kapanen, and the Penguins get a mid-late second round pick and a 4th round pick in 2018 for a goalie who won 2 Stanley Cups. Great, they dumped salary but that return is embarrassing.

It is what it is. You have to figure JR went with the best return he was offered. If we are going to be mad, we should be mad that he waited until Murray's value was this low to trade him.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:05 pm

ville5 wrote:

If you don't see how the financial well-being of the NHL affected this trade, then I don't know what to say.

It's not even the financial climate. It's his play over the last couple of seasons. A save % below .90 is embarrassing.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:08 pm

ville5 wrote:

In a year where there were a glut of goalies available in one way or another. Goalies aren't valued as highly in trade....especially if what is rumored of his asks with CHI were accurate - $7mil x 7 years. YIKES. Not many teams lining up to take that on. (None apparently, in fact.)
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:10 pm

Gruden wont be on NHL roster, probably sent down.. 2nd rounder is solid get! Lets hope GMJR moves MP too and gets solid RH 3C and bottom pairing RH D veteran physical player.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:14 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Gruden wont be on NHL roster, probably sent down.. 2nd rounder is solid get! Lets hope GMJR moves MP too and gets solid RH 3C and bottom pairing RH D veteran physical player.

As much as I'd like to move Pettersson I think you have to see how Matheson plays first. If he is awful which is possible then you have a 2nd pairing hole.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:21 pm

At least Jimmy doesn't have time to trade this pick. At least I don't think he does.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the riddler on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm

ville5 wrote:

Ottawa has over 42 million in cap space. They have to spend $20 million to get to the floor with not a lot of huge RFA deals to sign. So this doesn't really seem to have anything to do with the financial well being on their end. If the cap would have rose, would the Penguins have kept him? I doubt it. And even with the 'glut' of old FA goaltenders available, Murray should still have a little more value than what they got. Athanasiou got Two 2nd round picks last year at the deadline.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Apparently Murray is a stop-gap for OTT until their future starter is ready to take over. (So says one of the articles...we'll see when that contract is announced.) He's really not been that great the past two years since the Cup wins. "What have you done for me lately" has already forgotten about those Cups. Value is right about where everyone thought it would be for him, because there are more goalies out there than just old FAs. Rumors about Rask, Grubauer, maybe one of the CBJ goalies. Plus I wouldn't exactly qualify Holtby or Markstrom as old just yet.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm happy with it. The irony is that Rutherford is just making moves to fix stuff or move people that many people saw should have been made or fixed or corrected a year or two years ago.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins