Murray to OTT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:27 am

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

Would like to see JR use some of this "street cred" to his benefit some day...

I didn't read the TSN article about how the deal came about, but, on DK's site, GMJR basically said this was the ONLY REASONABLE deal that he was offered. I'm not sure what the original piece(s) were in the negotiations that went on for a few weeks, but, it sounds like a 2nd originally was not part of the deal. Once Ottawa told GMJR Tuesday morning that they would be willing to do a 2nd and the prospect, GMJR instantly jumped to finalize the deal.

So, it sure sounds like these rumors of a "standing deal for Murray out there" was either a horrible deal or 100% false. GMJR said in this crowded goalie market, this was about as good as he was going to be able to get.


The only reasonable deal seems odd considering JR allowed Chicago to talk to Murray, so obviously their offer was reasonable enough for JR to allow the conversation.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,614
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby longtimefan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

Would like to see JR use some of this "street cred" to his benefit some day...

I didn't read the TSN article about how the deal came about, but, on DK's site, GMJR basically said this was the ONLY REASONABLE deal that he was offered. I'm not sure what the original piece(s) were in the negotiations that went on for a few weeks, but, it sounds like a 2nd originally was not part of the deal. Once Ottawa told GMJR Tuesday morning that they would be willing to do a 2nd and the prospect, GMJR instantly jumped to finalize the deal.

So, it sure sounds like these rumors of a "standing deal for Murray out there" was either a horrible deal or 100% false. GMJR said in this crowded goalie market, this was about as good as he was going to be able to get.


The only reasonable deal seems odd considering JR allowed Chicago to talk to Murray, so obviously their offer was reasonable enough for JR to allow the conversation.


Good point, but Chicago also put a contingency of being able to sign Murray. When they couldn't, they withdrew the offer. Ottawa traded for him before a contract was finalized.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,862
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:56 am

Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:08 am

longtimefan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

Would like to see JR use some of this "street cred" to his benefit some day...

I didn't read the TSN article about how the deal came about, but, on DK's site, GMJR basically said this was the ONLY REASONABLE deal that he was offered. I'm not sure what the original piece(s) were in the negotiations that went on for a few weeks, but, it sounds like a 2nd originally was not part of the deal. Once Ottawa told GMJR Tuesday morning that they would be willing to do a 2nd and the prospect, GMJR instantly jumped to finalize the deal.

So, it sure sounds like these rumors of a "standing deal for Murray out there" was either a horrible deal or 100% false. GMJR said in this crowded goalie market, this was about as good as he was going to be able to get.


The only reasonable deal seems odd considering JR allowed Chicago to talk to Murray, so obviously their offer was reasonable enough for JR to allow the conversation.


Good point, but Chicago also put a contingency of being able to sign Murray. When they couldn't, they withdrew the offer. Ottawa traded for him before a contract was finalized.


I get that, but to say no reasonable offer is disingenuous. The Chicago offer was reasonable but they were smart and withdrew the offer when Murray was unreasonable. I think Ottawa didn't care about long term because they don't want Murray long term. I think Ottawa got Murray to trade him and Chicago wanted him for long term.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,614
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 am

Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.

I'd expect at this point that Dumoulin and Rust should be able to step up as leaders on the team. Rust isn't Hornqvist level intense, but he is one of those guys that rarely takes a game off. I still think with a mainly vet team, if you are having to talk about bringing in leaders from the outside, there's a problem.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,967
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:41 am

Matt Murray says he hopes to sign a deal with Ottawa soon, as team and agent are currently working on that. He also said ""I see a team that's headed in the right direction and headed there pretty quickly," Murray said. "This is a young team stacked with talent and absolutely headed in the right direction. It's a team I think anybody would be excited to be a part of."

per Bruce Garrioch
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,967
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby longtimefan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:47 am

FLPensFan wrote:Matt Murray says he hopes to sign a deal with Ottawa soon, as team and agent are currently working on that. He also said ""I see a team that's headed in the right direction and headed there pretty quickly," Murray said. "This is a young team stacked with talent and absolutely headed in the right direction. It's a team I think anybody would be excited to be a part of."

per Bruce Garrioch


It's too bad he's not the plan in net when they get there. :lol: :lol: j/k
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,862
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby pens_CT on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:50 am

FLPensFan wrote:Matt Murray says he hopes to sign a deal with Ottawa soon, as team and agent are currently working on that. He also said ""I see a team that's headed in the right direction and headed there pretty quickly," Murray said. "This is a young team stacked with talent and absolutely headed in the right direction. It's a team I think anybody would be excited to be a part of."

per Bruce Garrioch


Translation, you show me enough money and I'll say nothing but good things about the team, that is until I start facing 40 shots per night.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,187
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:03 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.

I'd expect at this point that Dumoulin and Rust should be able to step up as leaders on the team. Rust isn't Hornqvist level intense, but he is one of those guys that rarely takes a game off. I still think with a mainly vet team, if you are having to talk about bringing in leaders from the outside, there's a problem.


Crosby is intense. Intensity is not leadership.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.

I can agree with that. It's a shame that in their 30's the big 2 aren't that guy!

EDIT:
FLPensFan - I just saw your comment. I DO think it is a problem. This team has done best when there was a fiery leader in the room. Guerin/Roberts was it when they were young. This last time, it was Hornqvist/Cullen and Sullivan to an extent.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,226
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Pitts wrote:
Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.

I can agree with that. It's a shame that in their 30's the big 2 aren't that guy!

EDIT:
FLPensFan - I just saw your comment. I DO think it is a problem. This team has done best when there was a fiery leader in the room. Guerin/Roberts was it when they were young. This last time, it was Hornqvist/Cullen and Sullivan to an extent.


I think the fact that Crosby/Malkin/Letang have been on the team about 15 years hurts their leadership ability. They kind of represent status quo. Not that I think it's time for a new generation of players, but they're legendary rather than motivators, if that makes sense.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,614
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby longtimefan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:22 pm

Pitts wrote:
Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.

I can agree with that. It's a shame that in their 30's the big 2 aren't that guy!

EDIT:
FLPensFan - I just saw your comment. I DO think it is a problem. This team has done best when there was a fiery leader in the room. Guerin/Roberts was it when they were young. This last time, it was Hornqvist/Cullen and Sullivan to an extent.


Mario wasn't that guy either. Stevens was. It's a personality thing. Sid has all the attributes, he's just not a fiery leader. Neither was Mario.

In addition to losing Horny, they also lost JJ. Say what you will about his play on the ice, he was always given high marks for his presence in the locker room. Of course, the counter argument is the leadership didn't get them anywhere the last two playoff series. IF they can't bring someone in, then somebody has to step up. I don't know who.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,862
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:19 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.


With Hornqvist out the team is going to need leadership. Crosby is a lead by example type, look at me practice, but he is not, this is going to hurt some people, he is not a "they won't take our freedom" leader. Malkin can't lead his line much less a team. Letang, no. There are the C and the A's.

I honestly do not know if Marleau would be that guy, don't know at all, but I would like to see someone brought in to take the wheel.

I can agree with that. It's a shame that in their 30's the big 2 aren't that guy!

EDIT:
FLPensFan - I just saw your comment. I DO think it is a problem. This team has done best when there was a fiery leader in the room. Guerin/Roberts was it when they were young. This last time, it was Hornqvist/Cullen and Sullivan to an extent.


Mario wasn't that guy either. Stevens was. It's a personality thing. Sid has all the attributes, he's just not a fiery leader. Neither was Mario.

In addition to losing Horny, they also lost JJ. Say what you will about his play on the ice, he was always given high marks for his presence in the locker room. Of course, the counter argument is the leadership didn't get them anywhere the last two playoff series. IF they can't bring someone in, then somebody has to step up. I don't know who.

I could see Tanev stepping up. Possibly Sceviour?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,964
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Defence21 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:14 am

Daniel wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

Would like to see JR use some of this "street cred" to his benefit some day...

I didn't read the TSN article about how the deal came about, but, on DK's site, GMJR basically said this was the ONLY REASONABLE deal that he was offered. I'm not sure what the original piece(s) were in the negotiations that went on for a few weeks, but, it sounds like a 2nd originally was not part of the deal. Once Ottawa told GMJR Tuesday morning that they would be willing to do a 2nd and the prospect, GMJR instantly jumped to finalize the deal.

So, it sure sounds like these rumors of a "standing deal for Murray out there" was either a horrible deal or 100% false. GMJR said in this crowded goalie market, this was about as good as he was going to be able to get.


The only reasonable deal seems odd considering JR allowed Chicago to talk to Murray, so obviously their offer was reasonable enough for JR to allow the conversation.


Good point, but Chicago also put a contingency of being able to sign Murray. When they couldn't, they withdrew the offer. Ottawa traded for him before a contract was finalized.


I get that, but to say no reasonable offer is disingenuous. The Chicago offer was reasonable but they were smart and withdrew the offer when Murray was unreasonable. I think Ottawa didn't care about long term because they don't want Murray long term. I think Ottawa got Murray to trade him and Chicago wanted him for long term.

Or Chicago said they were very interested and GMJR gave them the opportunity to negotiate with Murray's agent before they made an offer. I would presume if they could get Murray at $1 million per year, the return would be a lot higher than if they could get him at $5 million per year, and in the instance that he wanted $7 million, the decided they weren't interested. I don't think everything has to be a "GMJR is an idiot" reference.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,702
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:07 pm

4 years, $25M, $6.25M hit.

Youch.

That was in the 1st+3rd RFA compensation range.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:54 pm

Jim wrote:4 years, $25M, $6.25M hit.

Youch.

That was in the 1st+3rd RFA compensation range.



Yup, that is a lot more money than I thought. Why was everyone saying this was going to be a short term deal? Or is it?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,489
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:29 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Jim wrote:4 years, $25M, $6.25M hit.

Youch.

That was in the 1st+3rd RFA compensation range.



Yup, that is a lot more money than I thought. Why was everyone saying this was going to be a short term deal? Or is it?


Because "everyone" doesn't know what's going on. Dude was going to get paid by someone which is why people saying he would make less if he goes to arbitration, and that s***, was just comical...

Good for him, he brought us 2 cups and I'll be forever thankful. Don't get me wrong, he can **** off right now, but I'm appreciative... :pop:
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Hatrick on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Jim wrote:4 years, $25M, $6.25M hit.

Youch.

That was in the 1st+3rd RFA compensation range.



Yup, that is a lot more money than I thought. Why was everyone saying this was going to be a short term deal? Or is it?

he still got the AAV he wanted(or close to it) but not the term. It is a shorter deal years wise cause Ottawa seems to want him as a bridge for the next couple years rather than having him around longer.

Also since I am not sure about the rules and process for the RFA compensation(since it does not come into play often). I am assuming that would have had to be Ottawa's own picks not a team they acquired it from. In which case no way I would see them doing that since their first was an early one.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby KG on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Can't believe Murray got the contract with this environment/flat cap...

Glad we traded him when we did and were able to get a 2nd and B/C prospect...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,700
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:21 pm

KG wrote:Can't believe Murray got the contract with this environment/flat cap...

Glad we traded him when we did and were able to get a 2nd and B/C prospect...


This could turn out to be a really, really bad contract. Jesse speaks really highly of Gruden, so here’s hoping.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,504
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ejd43 and 10 guests


e-mail