Murray to OTT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Murray to OTT

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:43 pm

4th line should Have fun against the Senators dumping the puck behind the net and forechecking. Their goalie will be no help
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:46 pm

the riddler wrote:
ville5 wrote:
the riddler wrote:It cost a 1st round pick for Kapanen, and the Penguins get a mid-late second round pick and a 4th round pick in 2018 for a goalie who won 2 Stanley Cups. Great, they dumped salary but that return is embarrassing.

If you don't see how the financial well-being of the NHL affected this trade, then I don't know what to say.

Ottawa has over 42 million in cap space. They have to spend $20 million to get to the floor with not a lot of huge RFA deals to sign. So this doesn't really seem to have anything to do with the financial well being on their end. If the cap would have rose, would the Penguins have kept him? I doubt it. And even with the 'glut' of old FA goaltenders available, Murray should still have a little more value than what they got. Athanasiou got Two 2nd round picks last year at the deadline.

It didn't hamper the other teams that might have been interested? Under normal circumstances, probably around 8-10 GMs would've been drooling to ad a 26 year old, 2 time Cup winner. $6- $7 million per year or not.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:47 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Apparently Murray is a stop-gap for OTT until their future starter is ready to take over. (So says one of the articles...we'll see when that contract is announced.) He's really not been that great the past two years since the Cup wins. "What have you done for me lately" has already forgotten about those Cups. Value is right about where everyone thought it would be for him, because there are more goalies out there than just old FAs. Rumors about Rask, Grubauer, maybe one of the CBJ goalies. Plus I wouldn't exactly qualify Holtby or Markstrom as old just yet.

spot on. :thumb:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Pierre LeBrun

@PierreVLeBrun

·

1h

Penguins and Senators have been talking about this deal for a few weeks. Ramped up over the past 90 minutes. Penguins like a few players around the 52 pick. Plus, important to Pitt to finally make this trade before free agency opens and glut of UFA goalies are avai
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:00 pm

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020 ... nators-dwm
Gruden, 20, had 30 goals and 36 assists in 59 games with London of the Ontario Hockey League last season.

He is 6-foot-1, 172 pounds and is signed through the 2022-23 season, with a contract that carries a salary-cap hit of $788,333.

Gruden is the son of former NHL defenseman and current New York Islanders assistant coach John Gruden and a native of Rochester Hills, Mich. He competed in the National Team Development Program, then went to Miami (Ohio) University for one season before moving on to the OHL.

Murray won Stanley Cups with the Penguins in 2016 and 2017, but his play slipped over the past few seasons and Jarry's strong showing in 2019-20 made him expendable.

"We would like to thank Matt for everything he's done in his five seasons with the Penguins," Jim Rutherford said, in a statement released by the team. "He was instrumental in our back-to-back Stanley Cup championships and we wish him the best."

Rutherford was not immediately available to discuss the deal, but is expected to conduct a conference call with reporters after the draft ends.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:14 pm

no name wrote:i would of rather got a 2nd and a 3rd, or at the least of swapped our 3rd 77th overall for their 3rd 64th overall.

but overall i think it is pretty good fit for him, and our return... beggers can't be choosers.

This guy kinda reads like a LW version of Bryan Rust.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/201 ... ng-report/
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 pm

.... and the Pens grab a goalie with that pick...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Jim wrote:.... and the Pens grab a goalie with that pick...

:lol:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Jim wrote:.... and the Pens grab a goalie with that pick...

So a younger version of Matt Murray with a better attitude and cheaper? In all fairness, by the time anyone is ready JR would have blown up the team and they'll end up being Milan Kraft.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Already has a better glove than Murray:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158400134318907393
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm

no name wrote:i would of rather got a 2nd and a 3rd, or at the least of swapped our 3rd 77th overall for their 3rd 64th overall.

but overall i think it is pretty good fit for him, and our return... beggers can't be choosers.

would have or would’ve.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby KG on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:41 pm

Really curious what Murray will sign for. Hopefully it's not "cheap" hoping for at least $5mill+
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:46 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

would have or would’ve.

You've been busted by THE GRAMMAR SQUAD! Yes, the grammar squad...fighters for dialect justice and proper communication expression! Consider yourself fortunate that this is all that you've had to endure.

(It's been a boring day in my retirement)
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:47 pm

KG wrote:Really curious what Murray will sign for. Hopefully it's not "cheap" hoping for at least $5mill+

I think he’ll over play his hand, sign a one year deal to bridge to UFA, have a terrible year and be lucky to be in the NHL in 2021-22.

Or this is an eye opener and he’s a bit humble, but starting to think he’s the prime example of who JR meant regarding complacent players.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

would have or would’ve.

You've been busted by THE GRAMMAR SQUAD! Yes, the grammar squad...fighters for dialect justice and proper communication expression! Consider yourself fortunate that this is all that you've had to endure.

(It's been a boring day in my retirement)

Congrats on your retirement!
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:Really curious what Murray will sign for. Hopefully it's not "cheap" hoping for at least $5mill+

I think he’ll over play his hand, sign a one year deal to bridge to UFA, have a terrible year and be lucky to be in the NHL in 2021-22.

Or this is an eye opener and he’s a bit humble, but starting to think he’s the prime example of who JR meant regarding complacent players.

How do you know he’s complacent?

JR should be looking in the mirror instead of calling players out. I didn’t hear a word about Marleau.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:50 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Congrats on your retirement!

Thank you! About 12 years late but thanks nonetheless.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:10 pm

I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

Would like to see JR use some of this "street cred" to his benefit some day...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:05 pm

https://t.co/b62fFfscQU?amp=1
Pierre LeBrun Retweeted

TSN Hockey

@TSNHockey

·

4h

#NHLDraft ANALYSIS:

@GinoRedaTSN

@PierreVLeBrun

&

@CraigJButton

on how the Murray deal came together for the Sens, what he brings in net and assessing Ottawa’s prospects from the early rounds - http://fw.to/CXvWt8e #TSNHockey
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:19 pm

From Matt Murray's Instagram acct:
matt30murray Thank you, Pittsburgh for some incredible years. I cherished every opportunity I had to step onto the ice in a Penguins jersey. I learned so many valuable lessons, developed so many great friendships, and experienced some truly awesome moments. Thank you to the city of Pittsburgh, team ownership and management staff, Jim Rutherford, Mike Sullivan, Mike Buckley, all of the assistant coaches, training and equipment staff, PR staff, and any/everyone in the organization. Most importantly, to all of my teammates, thank you for your friendship, your insights, and for always having my back. It means the world to me. I am truly grateful for every opportunity.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:50 pm

KG wrote:I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

Supposedly Dorian told GMJR from the start that all number 1 picks were off limits. On the other hand, when Rutherford is after one of his guys and the asking price is a number one and top prospect, GMJR says ""Where do I sgn."
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:24 am

would have liked more(at least get one of the higher picks in the second round, 52 definitely isn't the senators own pick) but this is honestly the best deal GMJR has made all year(which says a lot about how terrible his other trades were). Its not terrible and glad to have it done with, but would have liked for a bit more to make up for his previous terrible trades lol
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby maopens on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 am

Lots working against GMJR this offseason.

Flat Cap moving forward.
Murray reportedly wants a big money, long-term contract making any trade a likely 1 year rental for him.
Lots of cheaper options available.

Sure I wanted more back but cap relief and a 2nd may be on par for this economic climate.

With the money situation what it is for next season and likely beyond, the guys hitting the UFA market are likely going to be very disappointed. Maybe we can pick up a piece or two with the money saved on MM. Hopefully.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 am

KG wrote:I saw a Dorian interview he said him and JR have been working on this for some time and went out of his way to say "Jim Rutherford is great to work with."

I didn't read the TSN article about how the deal came about, but, on DK's site, GMJR basically said this was the ONLY REASONABLE deal that he was offered. I'm not sure what the original piece(s) were in the negotiations that went on for a few weeks, but, it sounds like a 2nd originally was not part of the deal. Once Ottawa told GMJR Tuesday morning that they would be willing to do a 2nd and the prospect, GMJR instantly jumped to finalize the deal.

So, it sure sounds like these rumors of a "standing deal for Murray out there" was either a horrible deal or 100% false. GMJR said in this crowded goalie market, this was about as good as he was going to be able to get.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

How do you know he’s complacent?

JR should be looking in the mirror instead of calling players out. I didn’t hear a word about Marleau.

Marleau is insignificant in all this. He played 13 games for the Pens. Barely had any time to settle in, let alone be of any significance in the bigger picture. He's literally forgotten already.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins