2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Players getting the vaccine doesn't get fans into the arenas. Also, what about the players that don't plan on taking the vaccine? Maybe I'm naive but I would think > 80% wouldn't go near it....
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:09 am

In his 31 thoughts, Friedman said that while the players were within their rights to reject more than 20%: escrow, they may end up paying millions at the end of the contract in 2026. He thinks the younger players will be the most affected. Some here were on the players side and thought that the owners should abide by the agreement. Consequently, I hope you hold the players to the same standard when it come time to repay any salary that is over 50% of revenue. Its a long time away but it is definitely going to be an issue that could lead to another year without hockey.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:34 pm

sjnhiils wrote:In his 31 thoughts, Friedman said that while the players were within their rights to reject more than 20%: escrow, they may end up paying millions at the end of the contract in 2026. He thinks the younger players will be the most affected. Some here were on the players side and thought that the owners should abide by the agreement. Consequently, I hope you hold the players to the same standard when it come time to repay any salary that is over 50% of revenue. Its a long time away but it is definitely going to be an issue that could lead to another year without hockey.

The CBA is pretty clear, and Bettman referenced it. The players are entitled to 50% of HRR. No more, no less. It's pay me now or pay me later. It's good for the veterans who may not be around, but the younger guys are going to be on the hook.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:Players getting the vaccine doesn't get fans into the arenas. Also, what about the players that don't plan on taking the vaccine? Maybe I'm naive but I would think > 80% wouldn't go near it....

Fans getting the vaccine gets fans into the arenas.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:23 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:Players getting the vaccine doesn't get fans into the arenas. Also, what about the players that don't plan on taking the vaccine? Maybe I'm naive but I would think > 80% wouldn't go near it....

Fans getting the vaccine gets fans into the arenas.

Right...so u think that will be done by mid January? March? July?

Secondary to that how many will actually take it?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:15 pm

How would the playoff structure look like with these divisions??

could you do a true top 4 divison winners the 1vs16 2vs15 etc. I would think might be nice for the league to have a little fun with it or do you do the same 1vs4 2vs3 in your division to see who moves on then reseed the 4 winners. I guess it depends on the state of the country at that time.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:36 pm

no name wrote:How would the playoff structure look like with these divisions??

could you do a true top 4 divison winners the 1vs16 2vs15 etc. I would think might be nice for the league to have a little fun with it or do you do the same 1vs4 2vs3 in your division to see who moves on then reseed the 4 winners. I guess it depends on the state of the country at that time.

I have heard the latter, 1v4, 2v3 is what they are planning.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 pm

I remember when they did the 1-16, 2-15 etc Unfortunately, it really wasn't practical because of travel. Say the Pens ended up paired against Vancouver, that's a cross country trip each time they change venues. Fine for the finals, but pretty expensive and taxing otherwise. It was kind of fun though.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:33 am

longtimefan wrote:

I remember when they did the 1-16, 2-15 etc Unfortunately, it really wasn't practical because of travel. Say the Pens ended up paired against Vancouver, that's a cross country trip each time they change venues. Fine for the finals, but pretty expensive and taxing otherwise. It was kind of fun though.

to be honest with these divisions there are gonna be some cross country travel guaranteed even if they keep it division only(which is usually considered the pro of doing the dumb in division playoffs). Canadian division could be Toronto versus Vancouver and montreal versus Calgary. The division considered the western division could be st louis and san jose. the "central" division could be tampa versus Minnesota. Basically the only division that has enough teams bundled together to not have any far trips is the one we are currently possibly in. From Pittsburgh to boston would be the farthest distance I think. If it ends up with Carolina in it instead of Pittsburgh than the furthest travel would be boston and Carolina. Which is still less than any other division.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby johnnews on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:54 am

Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

to be honest with these divisions there are gonna be some cross country travel guaranteed even if they keep it division only(which is usually considered the pro of doing the dumb in division playoffs). Canadian division could be Toronto versus Vancouver and montreal versus Calgary. The division considered the western division could be st louis and san jose. the "central" division could be tampa versus Minnesota. Basically the only division that has enough teams bundled together to not have any far trips is the one we are currently possibly in. From Pittsburgh to boston would be the farthest distance I think. If it ends up with Carolina in it instead of Pittsburgh than the furthest travel would be boston and Carolina. Which is still less than any other division.

Based off Bettman's comments today, travel might be moot as bubbles are still in play. Still shooting for a mid-January start, but I think they need to decide details quickly if that's going to happen.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am

I don’t personally see the difference in keeping travel regional, other than from a wear and tear perspective. If you are getting in a plane, it doesn’t make a difference, from a covid perspective, if you are flying 45 mins to NY or 2.5 hours to Dallas. If they are shortening the distances due ti the condensed schedule that makes more sense. Although not much with Covid makes sense so who knows. I love having to wear a mask to walk in side for a take out order when everyone sitting at tables don’t require them....
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
17m
There is word tonight NHL & NHLPA have tentative deal on 56-game season.

WOW! One step closer to hockey. Maybe we the fans get to return for the play-offs ???
--------

NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
·
5m
More details per Frank Seravalli:
- Players have option to opt out (believed to be without pay) if they or immediate family member is considered high-risk. Team will have option to roll contract by a year
- Rosters: 23-players, $81.5M cap, with a 4-6 man taxi squad at AHL salary
Quote Tweet
NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
· 12m
NHL tentative agreement with NHLPA according to multiple reports:
- January 13th start with 56 games
- There WILL be a Canadian division
- Training camp to begin Jan. 3
- 7 non-RTP teams begin Dec. 30
- All dates subject to change.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby longtimefan on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:35 am

penny lane wrote:
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
17m
There is word tonight NHL & NHLPA have tentative deal on 56-game season.

WOW! One step closer to hockey. Maybe we the fans get to return for the play-offs ???
--------

NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
·
5m
More details per Frank Seravalli:
- Players have option to opt out (believed to be without pay) if they or immediate family member is considered high-risk. Team will have option to roll contract by a year
- Rosters: 23-players, $81.5M cap, with a 4-6 man taxi squad at AHL salary
Quote Tweet
NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
· 12m
NHL tentative agreement with NHLPA according to multiple reports:
- January 13th start with 56 games
- There WILL be a Canadian division
- Training camp to begin Jan. 3
- 7 non-RTP teams begin Dec. 30
- All dates subject to change.

It's progress, and suggests they believe the January 13th date is still practical. A 10 day training camp is less than I expected, but I'd guess the desire to get as many games in as possible trumped extra preparation time. I like the taxi squad early on, as the AHL isn't slated to start until February. Once it does. I'd expect the chance of getting them some game time will outweigh having them around. Especially with WBS being so close. It is helpful in terms of giving Poulin a fair audition without sacrificing a roster spot. I'd expect guys like O'Connor, POJ, Miletic, Angello, etc to be candidates for the taxi squad early on. Who is really going to get hurt are players looking for PTO's. Their just isn't going to be much chance to grab a roster spot with a 10 day camp. You have to expect that player movement will pick up a great deal over the next couple weeks now that things are coming together. Teams and players who have been in a wait and see mode will have to finally take action.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:11 am

I’m concerned about playoffs this year not from swapping Columbus and Carolina for Boston and Buffalo but that we are only getting 4 teams from each division and not up to 5. If I had to put money on 4 teams from the East it would be Caps, Flyers, Bruins and Pens. But Isles are still good, Rangers and Sabres should be better, Devils aren’t horrible. This will by far be the toughest division.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby longtimefan on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:25 am

DelPen wrote:I’m concerned about playoffs this year not from swapping Columbus and Carolina for Boston and Buffalo but that we are only getting 4 teams from each division and not up to 5. If I had to put money on 4 teams from the East it would be Caps, Flyers, Bruins and Pens. But Isles are still good, Rangers and Sabres should be better, Devils aren’t horrible. This will by far be the toughest division.

It is. It's the only division with 6 playoff teams from the summer. It's the right way to do it though. Point totals are going to be all inside the division, so it would be difficult to have a wild card when there won't be any like opponents.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:12 pm

Their division is Patrick + a couple of Adam's teams. :D On the flip side they will not have to worry about
Montreal. Last dregs of summer disappointment gone. Almost.
For young Tris Jarry- thrown into a daily pressure cooker. It would be wonderful if the back up goalies can win in the NHL.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:00 pm

It looks like Texas(4500)and Florida(2500) are allowing fans.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 pm

longtimefan wrote:
DelPen wrote:I’m concerned about playoffs this year not from swapping Columbus and Carolina for Boston and Buffalo but that we are only getting 4 teams from each division and not up to 5. If I had to put money on 4 teams from the East it would be Caps, Flyers, Bruins and Pens. But Isles are still good, Rangers and Sabres should be better, Devils aren’t horrible. This will by far be the toughest division.

It is. It's the only division with 6 playoff teams from the summer. It's the right way to do it though. Point totals are going to be all inside the division, so it would be difficult to have a wild card when there won't be any like opponents.

I love it. It will be playoff intensity every game.

I'm a hockey fan first, Pens fan second. Would love to see a good game and Pens win, but gun to head I pick good game and Pens loss every time. And I can back that up-I was a season ticket holder back in the early 2000's when it was bad games and Pens loses. :D
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:28 am

longtimefan wrote:

that's why I wouldn't have limited games to division only. The problem with that is the Canadian division would still be only playing themselves. But they could have let the other three divisions play each other. Also they shouldn't make the playoffs in division only, by then Canada should be able to finally travel to the US to play and vice versa. Because of that setup they could legitimately have 5 of the top ten teams in the league in one division and only one is able to even get beyond the second round, one doesn't even get into the playoffs. Its terrible for the sport when the best teams are playing each other in the first round.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:12 am

Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

that's why I wouldn't have limited games to division only. The problem with that is the Canadian division would still be only playing themselves. But they could have let the other three divisions play each other. Also they shouldn't make the playoffs in division only, by then Canada should be able to finally travel to the US to play and vice versa. Because of that setup they could legitimately have 5 of the top ten teams in the league in one division and only one is able to even get beyond the second round, one doesn't even get into the playoffs. Its terrible for the sport when the best teams are playing each other in the first round.

I think restricting travel as much as possible was a big part of this. Not only in terms of proximity, but in terms of the rumored series format. On one hand, I hate it because it will be much tougher to make the playoffs for the Pens. On the other, it will make for a more exciting regular season. It would be easier to make the playoffs in the Central, but, after 4 games in 10 months, it would have sucked not to have a Flyer or Capital game to look forward to.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby johnnews on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 am

Schedule allegedly being released today. Christmas 2 days early.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Seems like each 84 game season we play a lot of out of conference and division games before New Years and the division games are backloaded anyways to end the season. So it’s like we are getting rid of all those other games and skipping right to the important ones.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:46 pm

Schedule released. Start out with two in Philly.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:53 pm

84 games?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Jim wrote:84 games?

You'd be close if you were counting in base 15.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins