2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Postby Jim on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:00 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:84 games?

You'd be close if you were counting in base 15.

I was referring to Delpen"s post.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Familiarity; how much more can they be with the metro teams. Send in the B team once in awhile.
What will be left of them when the play-offs begin?

Singing only 1 anthem. :(
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:47 am

penny lane wrote:Familiarity; how much more can they be with the metro teams. Send in the B team once in awhile.

Personally, I think this rivalry crap is *way* over-rated. After approximately 2/3 of a season against the same seven teams, the first two rounds of the playoffs will be... the same freaking teams. I fully get the reasons behind it, but this is in no way a positive. By the time the playoffs roll around, I'll be more than ready for new matchups, not more of the same. This season is shaping up to be way more 'meh' than the restart, and that's saying something. It's a 50 year regression to the original 6, but I suppose at least this time we get 8.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:11 am

Maybe the Penguins can hold a team building event at Neverland Ranch, now that Ron Burkle just bought it. :face: WTH is he thinking???
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:39 am

FLPensFan wrote:Maybe the Penguins can hold a team building event at Neverland Ranch, now that Ron Burkle just bought it. :face: WTH is he thinking???

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/12 ... -co-owner/

My guess is his thinking is part of the reason he's a self made billionaire. The original asking price of the property was $100M in 2016, and dropped to $67M in 2017. Burkle bought it for $22M. Whatever stigma may be attached will be fleeting. I have no idea what his plans are for the property, but I don't think he'll have any problems recouping his investment.

In addition to a 12,500 square-foot main residence and a 3,700 square-foot pool house, the property boasts a separate building with a 50-seat movie theater and a dance studio.

Other features on the ranch are a “Disney-style” train station, a fire house and barn.

Burkle’s spokesman said the billionaire had been eyeing Zaca Lake — which adjoins the property — for a new Soho House, a members-only club with locations in Los Angeles, Miami, New York and Toronto. Burkle ultimately decided the location was too remote and expensive for a club.

Burkle is the controlling shareholder of Soho House.

After Burkle saw the property from the air, he put in an offer to purchase.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:59 am

https://theathletic.com/2281834/2020/12 ... -schedule/

The Athletic did an analysis of the Pens schedule. It's going to be a grind, but there are a few surprises and potential benefits. For one thing, they are only scheduled for 6 back to back games. On the other hand, there is never more than a 2 day break between games. Travel will be minimal, with the two 90 minute trips to Boston being the longest of the season. It likely will be nostalgic for senior fans. I started following when there were only 12 teams, just 2 seasons after the expansion. Out of division play will have very little impact, since it will only decide seeding and home ice for the conference and cup finals. Kind of the feel of MLB before the advent of interleague play. I enjoy all the teams, but I understand the reasoning, and do see where it could be uniquely fun. The schedule is made up almost exclusively of 2 game series in one rink.

The Penguins play 26 two-game series with two one-offs apiece against the Islanders and Devils, all on the road, and all sandwiched between other games against New York-area teams — so the travel is, functionally, a wash. They probably won’t even need to change hotels. Their entire home schedule is composed of two-game series.

I'm anxious to see how it plays out. There's a bit of a groundswell for the league to continue the mini-series aspect moving forward.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:13 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Maybe the Penguins can hold a team building event at Neverland Ranch, now that Ron Burkle just bought it. :face: WTH is he thinking???

Burkle should also buy back the hyperbaric oxygen chamber. They can get another 20 years out of Crosby,Malkin and Letang.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:11 pm

One article I read said he was looking at a different property to use for a private club but thought that location was too remote.
Then he flew over the Neverland property and called the realtor. Even though it wasn't currently on the market.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:13 pm

longtimefan wrote:The original asking price of the property was $100M in 2016, and dropped to $67M in 2017. Burkle bought it for $22M. Whatever stigma may be attached will be fleeting. I have no idea what his plans are for the property, but I don't think he'll have any problems recouping his investment.

Personally, I think that stigma is going to last a good, long time... certainly past Burkle's remaining lifetime. There's a reason that price has cratered, and his purchase was not necessarily at the bottom. Just because someone is a billionaire doesn't mean they can't make the occasional bad investment.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
longtimefan wrote:The original asking price of the property was $100M in 2016, and dropped to $67M in 2017. Burkle bought it for $22M. Whatever stigma may be attached will be fleeting. I have no idea what his plans are for the property, but I don't think he'll have any problems recouping his investment.

Personally, I think that stigma is going to last a good, long time... certainly past Burkle's remaining lifetime. There's a reason that price has cratered, and his purchase was not necessarily at the bottom. Just because someone is a billionaire doesn't mean they can't make the occasional bad investment.

I'm not sure he is going to keep the place as is. I read another article this morning that was stating he has been looking to create some type of exclusive club, and the other property he was looking at on some lake was just way too overpriced. So, possibility he might just raze the whole thing and only be interested in the land/location.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:

I'm not sure he is going to keep the place as is. I read another article this morning that was stating he has been looking to create some type of exclusive club, and the other property he was looking at on some lake was just way too overpriced. So, possibility he might just raze the whole thing and only be interested in the land/location.

Certainly if the value of the bare land is more than $22M, then any concerns would be invalidated. It's California, so I suppose anything is possible. :wink: I would suspect the property was overvalued due to the legacy it contained, just not nearly as much as the sellers first hoped. That, however, is pure speculation on my part.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:22 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:

From what I've read, the property was recently appraised at $28M, most of which was attributed to the value of the land. The estate is still there, as well as the pool, theater, basketball courts etc. But the rides, zoo, and trains are all gone. I suspect Burkle sees it as a good value below market. Again, no idea of his plans. The property is 2700 acres and is in Santa Barbara county.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:33 pm

NHR
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Jim wrote:NHR

Who died and made you a moderator?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:39 am

sjnhiils wrote:
Jim wrote:NHR

Who died and made you a moderator?

All of the other mods apparently.

Drunk, high, and stupid is no way to go through life son.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:59 am

The majority of $%@t that you spew on this board is NHR. It does nothing to add to the hockey discussion. It is just you feeling the need to attack other posts. Whatever is missing in your life that fuels this need, I hope you find it during this Christmas season!!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:57 pm

sjnhiils wrote:The majority of $%@t that you spew on this board is NHR. It does nothing to add to the hockey discussion. It is just you feeling the need to attack other posts. Whatever is missing in your life that fuels this need, I hope you find it during this Christmas season!!

5 seconds. That's all the thought that you need to put into it.

I call out folly in posts. You say that I constantly call out your posts. What do you think that the connection is there?

This specific interaction right now is because you commented on something that I posted that had NOTHING to do with you. Yet you condemn me for attacking and having something missing in MY life

5 seconds of thought before you push "submit"...

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Buying this property while getting the small business loan is not a good look for Burkle.Just more ammo for the Pens haters!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm

https://twitter.com/i/status/1344031694383423497

Coach Sullivan speaking today. Hastily put up Evgeni jersey behind him. :) 8-)

Pens need to rocket out from the get go.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:30 pm

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nh ... 21-season/
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
2h
Four teams — Boston, Colorado, Philadelphia and Vegas — are headed to Lake Tahoe in February:

2021 ~ Penguins do not have to play outside. JOY
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:10 pm

Sounding like things are not going in the Penguins favor regarding Kapanen's immigration issues. Haven't seen anything official, but have seen a few reports he is being considered out through 1st regular season game.

Whenever Kapanen arrives, he'll have to quarantine for 7 days, and have 4 negative COVID tests during that time to be cleared.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like things are not going in the Penguins favor regarding Kapanen's immigration issues. Haven't seen anything official, but have seen a few reports he is being considered out through 1st regular season game.

Whenever Kapanen arrives, he'll have to quarantine for 7 days, and have 4 negative COVID tests during that time to be cleared.

According to Rossi, Kapanen doesn't have an appointment to have his travel documents reviewed until Friday. Add on the 7 day quarantine and there's no way he's playing in the first game. He might the first three or four games.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:27 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like things are not going in the Penguins favor regarding Kapanen's immigration issues. Haven't seen anything official, but have seen a few reports he is being considered out through 1st regular season game.

According to Rossi, Kapanen doesn't have an appointment to have his travel documents reviewed until Friday. Add on the 7 day quarantine and there's no way he's playing in the first game. He might the first three or four games.

I posted a link to the Trib article yesterday with quotes from JR.

“He has an immigration timing issue, so he will get here partway through camp,” general manager Jim Rutherford said by phone on Friday.

Immigration issues aren't really that unusual. It happens all the time in MLB too. The problem is the COVID quarantine. I suspect it is the first of many issues league wide for the NHL involving COVID this season, just as it has been throughout the MLB, NFL, and college football and basketball. If, in fact, his hearing is Friday, and he's cleared at that time, he'd likely be here no later than Saturday. Assuming that he passes the tests, he'd be available for the home opener against the Caps.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:50 am

Sigwolf wrote:
penny lane wrote:Familiarity; how much more can they be with the metro teams. Send in the B team once in awhile.

Personally, I think this rivalry crap is *way* over-rated. After approximately 2/3 of a season against the same seven teams, the first two rounds of the playoffs will be... the same freaking teams. I fully get the reasons behind it, but this is in no way a positive. By the time the playoffs roll around, I'll be more than ready for new matchups, not more of the same. This season is shaping up to be way more 'meh' than the restart, and that's saying something. It's a 50 year regression to the original 6, but I suppose at least this time we get 8.

yeah I would almost rather not play the flyers and capitals at all then play ONLY the flyers and capitals(plus a few other teams). I get wanting to restrict travel and everything but they could at least make 10-14 games against out of division opponents.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:57 am

longtimefan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I posted a link to the Trib article yesterday with quotes from JR.

“He has an immigration timing issue, so he will get here partway through camp,” general manager Jim Rutherford said by phone on Friday.

Immigration issues aren't really that unusual. It happens all the time in MLB too. The problem is the COVID quarantine. I suspect it is the first of many issues league wide for the NHL involving COVID this season, just as it has been throughout the MLB, NFL, and college football and basketball. If, in fact, his hearing is Friday, and he's cleared at that time, he'd likely be here no later than Saturday. Assuming that he passes the tests, he'd be available for the home opener against the Caps.

Looks like Anton Khudobin of the Stars is also absent due to immigration issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 5-10 of these pop up this week around the league.

EDIT: And now add Carl Soderberg missing for Blackhawks due to immigration issues per Taylor Haase
Last edited by FLPensFan on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins