2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 am

Kapanen had his immigration hearing today in Finland and will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow per Rutherford.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:14 pm

pens_CT wrote:Kapanen had his immigration hearing today in Finland and will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow per Rutherford.

So provided he has 4 negative COVID tests, he'll miss the opener and possibly the 2nd game in Philly, but will be ready for the home opener next Sunday against the Caps.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:06 pm

pens_CT wrote:
penny lane wrote:I think hockey conditions lend itself to spreading of COVID- indoors and germs on the ice. I like being hopeful in trying to begin the season.
With the 2021 schedule, I could see hockey losing players for 6 games in 2 weeks. Could be more if sitting out 14 days.

Just get all of the players vaccinated before the start of the season and you avoid the problem. I know they would be accused of jumping ahead in the line of the people who really need it (seniors, first line workers), but you avoid the disaster of players sitting out and avoiding the issues the NFL had this season.

They would and should be accused of jumping line -- because that's what they would be doing. Ridiculous suggestion for a game, when people -- healthcare workers and at-risk citizens alike -- need the vaccine. I'd rather see players miss games and games be postponed/canceled, than witness my wife come home from work in tears everyday because she held the hand of another person as they lay in their hospital bed dying without the comfort of friends or family. Or witness an inconsolable colleague -- who hasn't been able to see her father in the nursing home for months -- as she morns said father's death, having not been able to even see his body at the funeral home. This is a hell of a lot more important than hockey players getting the vaccine so they don't miss games.
Last edited by Defence21 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Defence21 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
penny lane wrote:I think hockey conditions lend itself to spreading of COVID- indoors and germs on the ice. I like being hopeful in trying to begin the season.
With the 2021 schedule, I could see hockey losing players for 6 games in 2 weeks. Could be more if sitting out 14 days.

Just get all of the players vaccinated before the start of the season and you avoid the problem. I know they would be accused of jumping ahead in the line of the people who really need it (seniors, first line workers), but you avoid the disaster of players sitting out and avoiding the issues the NFL had this season.

They would and should be accused of jumping line -- because that's what they would be doing. Ridiculous suggestion for a game, when people -- healthcare workers and at-risk citizens alike -- need the vaccine.

I would agree with you if the limiting case was the amount of vaccine available, the issue is the lack of a plan/resources to get people vaccinated. Do you really below using 30 to 40 doses of the vaccine really changes the number of virus cases/hospitalization rates in Allegheny County?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:30 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

They would and should be accused of jumping line -- because that's what they would be doing. Ridiculous suggestion for a game, when people -- healthcare workers and at-risk citizens alike -- need the vaccine.

I would agree with you if the limiting case was the amount of vaccine available, the issue is the lack of a plan/resources to get people vaccinated. Do you really below using 30 to 40 doses of the vaccine really changes the number of virus cases/hospitalization rates in Allegheny County?

Yeah. I do. And if you read my edits above, you'll see why. I don't care about numbers. I care about people. If the 30-40 vaccines can be used to help the heroes on the front lines or the at-risk in the community, they should get them first. Period.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 am

longtimefan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Kapanen had his immigration hearing today in Finland and will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow per Rutherford.

So provided he has 4 negative COVID tests, he'll miss the opener and possibly the 2nd game in Philly, but will be ready for the home opener next Sunday against the Caps.

DK is reporting he will miss the first 3 games, which would stink having him miss the home opener
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:26 am

From what I understand there are millions of doses of the vaccine sitting in warehouses, the problems seem to lay in the actual distribution. If the NHL wanted to buy the vaccine, it seems it there. Now would that be the right thing to do? I don’t know. If they continue to make and no one is using it, wouldn’t the supply continue to rise even if the NHL handled it themselves?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am

Skatingpen wrote:From what I understand there are millions of doses of the vaccine sitting in warehouses, the problems seem to lay in the actual distribution. If the NHL wanted to buy the vaccine, it seems it there. Now would that be the right thing to do? I don’t know. If they continue to make and no one is using it, wouldn’t the supply continue to rise even if the NHL handled it themselves?

About the only way I would see it being "fair" for a sports team to get the vaccine and get their players vaccinated, would be if via the team having that access, they also made sure to get X amount of high need people jumped to the head of the line as well.....ie, we've got quick access to 200 doses for our players, staff, and workers, so we are also getting an additional 200 doses and working with UPMC to get X hospital location staff vaccinated as well.

Use your powers for good.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:53 am

Skatingpen wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

DK is reporting he will miss the first 3 games, which would stink having him miss the home opener

I was going to respond last night that I thought it would be 50/50 on him making the home opener. If he's leaving Finland Saturday, it's about 9 hours direct, and about 12 hours if they have to make a stop in London or Frankfurt. Unless he's leaving early in the morning, he probably won't get into Pittsburgh until later at night (even with the 7 hour timezone gain).....Helsinki to NY, immigration/customs process expected to be longer due to COVID, then having to get from NY to PIT. Just seems to me his 7 day quarantine probably won't officially start until Sunday morning sometime.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am

Sounding like Dallas may have a COVID situation. They cancelled practice and media availability, and per Stars main reporter, any updates on why are supposed to be coming from the NHL, not the team.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:54 am

FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like Dallas may have a COVID situation. They cancelled practice and media availability, and per Stars main reporter, any updates on why are supposed to be coming from the NHL, not the team.

KAPANEN CLEARED
TO TRAVEL FRIDAY
9:40 a.m. Thursday: Kasperi Kapanen had his immigration hearing in Finland today and has been cleared to travel to Pittsburgh, Jim Rutherford said. "He just had it," Rutherford said. "He just got approved." He added that Kapanen is expected to arrive here Friday.
Because of the pandemic, Kapanen will have to serve a seven-day quarantine after reaching Pittsburgh, during which time Rutherford said "I don't believe" he will be allowed to skate.

Nonetheless, Rutherford suggested that Kapanen will need only "a couple of days" of practice before being added to the lineiup, where he is expected to play on the No. 1 line with Sidney Crosby and Jake Guentzel. Under that scenario, Rutherford said that a projection that Kapanen would miss the first three games of the regular season -- Jan. 13 and 15 in Philadelphia and Jan. 17 at home
against Washington -- "is a fair ballpark (estimate)." -- Dave Molinari
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:From what I understand there are millions of doses of the vaccine sitting in warehouses, the problems seem to lay in the actual distribution. If the NHL wanted to buy the vaccine, it seems it there. Now would that be the right thing to do? I don’t know. If they continue to make and no one is using it, wouldn’t the supply continue to rise even if the NHL handled it themselves?

About the only way I would see it being "fair" for a sports team to get the vaccine and get their players vaccinated, would be if via the team having that access, they also made sure to get X amount of high need people jumped to the head of the line as well.....ie, we've got quick access to 200 doses for our players, staff, and workers, so we are also getting an additional 200 doses and working with UPMC to get X hospital location staff vaccinated as well.

Use your powers for good.

Agree, nice post
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Watching a bit of the scrimmage today, fun moment; Sid lost his stick took one from Drew O'Connor and scored! He celebrated like he won an OT game.
Legace & Legare ; Sacrebleu!

They will televise another scrimmage on Sunday, 5:30pm
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like Dallas may have a COVID situation. They cancelled practice and media availability, and per Stars main reporter, any updates on why are supposed to be coming from the NHL, not the team.

Press release from the NHL on Dallas situation. Looks like Dallas isn't starting the season as planned:

Columbus also released a statement that "a number of player" were held out of practice today out of an abundance of caution and amid NHL COVID protocols.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:06 pm

Mike Lange not announcing until he gets the vaccine.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Was listening to DK's Java video with Taylor Haase and Dave Molinari. Taylor had some good info on Kapanen and the immigration process:

--Said she did some research, and found that it is recommended that athlete's start the process about 45 days out from the start of their season.
--HOWEVER, she said from her research, as part of the process, you need exact dates of when X is starting (training camp, actual games, etc). The NHL did not have those exact dates in place 45 days ago.
--She also noted that the players that are experiencing these issues are the ones that are either on new teams (Kapanen, Soderberg) or have new contracts with their old team (Khudobin, Kylington, Granlund)

Still doesn't explain why someone like, say Patric Hornqvist didn't have an issue...but I don't know for certain if Hornqvist returned to Sweden during the break.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Was listening to DK's Java video with Taylor Haase and Dave Molinari. Taylor had some good info on Kapanen and the immigration process:

--Said she did some research, and found that it is recommended that athlete's start the process about 45 days out from the start of their season.
--HOWEVER, she said from her research, as part of the process, you need exact dates of when X is starting (training camp, actual games, etc). The NHL did not have those exact dates in place 45 days ago.
--She also noted that the players that are experiencing these issues are the ones that are either on new teams (Kapanen, Soderberg) or have new contracts with their old team (Khudobin, Kylington, Granlund)

Still doesn't explain why someone like, say Patric Hornqvist didn't have an issue...but I don't know for certain if Hornqvist returned to Sweden during the break.

More proof of Rutherford's incompetence.

:pop
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 am

Now the Pens have a potential covid situation..... the season has not even started
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:56 am

Skatingpen wrote:Now the Pens have a potential covid situation..... the season has not even started

To elaborate, Penguins cancelled practice today and used the same "abundance of caution " wording other teams facing COVID have used.

Personally, I think it's a ploy to get some games moved like Dallas so that Kapanen misses no time. :wink
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:00 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Now the Pens have a potential covid situation..... the season has not even started

To elaborate, Penguins cancelled practice today and used the same "abundance of caution " wording other teams facing COVID have used.

Personally, I think it's a ploy to get some games moved like Dallas so that Kapanen misses no time. :wink

Lol, could we see this game all year? If a star player gets hurt, claim covid until he is healthy. The season could last 2 years!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 am

FLPensFan wrote:

All joking aside, it's an ominous start for the league. Hopefully things improve as they move along. With things seemingly out of control with the virus right now, it's going to be an uphill battle. We can only hope things improve.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:43 am

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

All joking aside, it's an ominous start for the league. Hopefully things improve as they move along. With things seemingly out of control with the virus right now, it's going to be an uphill battle. We can only hope things improve.

We all saw what happened in the NFL with regards to the virus and this in a league that plays once per week. I suspect the NHL with more games, and more travel probably has a worse situation coming, at least for the next 2 to 3 months.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:00 am

pens_CT wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

We all saw what happened in the NFL with regards to the virus and this in a league that plays once per week. I suspect the NHL with more games, and more travel probably has a worse situation coming, at least for the next 2 to 3 months.

Penguins resuming today, holding their planned Sunday scrimmage at 6pm.

In other news, LA just had 5 players deemed "unfit to play."
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 am

For those who didnt watch scrimmage or see a summary, Matheson has already been moved up with Marino, and Pettersson with Ceci. I think Pens have been trying that for last 2 days. Will be interesting to see if that sticks for regular season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:40 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like things are not going in the Penguins favor regarding Kapanen's immigration issues. Haven't seen anything official, but have seen a few reports he is being considered out through 1st regular season game.

Whenever Kapanen arrives, he'll have to quarantine for 7 days, and have 4 negative COVID tests during that time to be cleared.

According to Rossi, Kapanen doesn't have an appointment to have his travel documents reviewed until Friday. Add on the 7 day quarantine and there's no way he's playing in the first game. He might the first three or four games.

I posted a link to the Trib article yesterday with quotes from JR.

“He has an immigration timing issue, so he will get here partway through camp,” general manager Jim Rutherford said by phone on Friday.

Immigration issues aren't really that unusual. It happens all the time in MLB too. The problem is the COVID quarantine. I suspect it is the first of many issues league wide for the NHL involving COVID this season, just as it has been throughout the MLB, NFL, and college football and basketball. If, in fact, his hearing is Friday, and he's cleared at that time, he'd likely be here no later than Saturday. Assuming that he passes the tests, he'd be available for the home opener against the Caps.

Looks like Anton Khudobin of the Stars is also absent due to immigration issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 5-10 of these pop up this week around the league.

EDIT: And now add Carl Soderberg missing for Blackhawks due to immigration issues per Taylor Haase

While I cannot confirm the reason was immigration (pretty sure it was), Hornqvist also missed the first week of Panthers camp and attended his first practice yesterday.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins