Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Pre-game Game 2 vs Flyers discussion thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Pre-game Game 2 vs Flyers discussion thread

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm

From the morning skate:

--It appears Codi Ceci will be a healthy scratch, and that Chad Ruhwedel will slot in as 3rd RD. (unconfirmed by Sullivan...based on practice)
--Matheson back to the 3rd pairing with Ruhwedel, Petterson back to 2nd pairing with Marino. (unconfirmed by Sullivan...based on practice)
--Jarry gets the start tonight, per Sullivan.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Pre-game Game 2 vs Flyers discussion thread

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 pm

That's a good start, and I think the right move on defense. Not too much to do with the forward lines until Kapanen is in the lineup, at which point hopefully ERod goes to the 4th line or the scratch list.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Those changes seem reasonable. Jarry may not have been spectacular, but he got hung out to dry constantly. I'd hope he can recapture last year's form if the team bothers to help him out at all.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Sigwolf wrote:That's a good start, and I think the right move on defense. Not too much to do with the forward lines until Kapanen is in the lineup, at which point hopefully ERod goes to the 4th line or the scratch list.

I hope it is the scratch list. I like the 3rd line and don't want him there. The 4th line is a bit questionable right now. Moving Tanev away from Blueger, plus no ZAR, I think is having a big impact on the 4th line. I'd like to give it a few games because I like Lafferty's game, and Sceviour didn't do anything egregiously wrong that I recall.

Hopefully, Matheson just needs a few weeks of games to improve, because if he cannot become a 2nd pairing guy on this team, that's an expensive 3rd pair anchor for quite a few years.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm

If Malkin no-shows tonight, the next game I would think about putting Jake on his LW since the Jake - Geno - Rust was pretty lights out when they were together. Zucker also worked pretty well with Sid so it seems plausible.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:If Malkin no-shows tonight, the next game I would think about putting Jake on his LW since the Jake - Geno - Rust was pretty lights out when they were together. Zucker also worked pretty well with Sid so it seems plausible.

Not a bad idea. Again, with a 56 game schedule, the "let's not rush things" timeline is a bit shorter than usual. 2-3 games of things not working is going to require changes.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:31 pm

Penguins cancelled practice yesterday because, per Sullivan, because of cancelling practice Sunday due to COVID concerns, the Penguins would have been in a situation where they would have been on the ice for 10 straight days (Which they either want to avoid or are not allowed to do). They've had to adjust their schedules a bit because of that missed Sunday practice and the way games are spaced.

Sullivan also said there were certain aspects of Philly's play they looked at, but more of their film sessions focused on the Penguins themselves and things they need to execute better on. (ie, Philly didn't beat us, we beat ourselves kind of statement)
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:If Malkin no-shows tonight, the next game I would think about putting Jake on his LW since the Jake - Geno - Rust was pretty lights out when they were together. Zucker also worked pretty well with Sid so it seems plausible.

Not a bad idea. Again, with a 56 game schedule, the "let's not rush things" timeline is a bit shorter than usual. 2-3 games of things not working is going to require changes.

Those are the lines I've wanted from the start. In my ideal world I'd ice:

Zucker-Sid-Kapanen
Guentzel-Geno-Rust
McCann-Jank-Tanev
Sceviour-Blueger-Lafferty/Erod

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Riikola-Matheson

I enjoy watching Riikola every time he's in the lineup, brings speed, a great shot and more physical edge than most. I don't see the mistakes the coaching staff see. Matheson only there due to possible upside, will give it 15 games. Think he played both sides in FLA?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 pm

Penguins announce Zach Trotman had knee surgery and will be out 4-6 weeks minimum.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Watched Wednesday's game again. The one ongoing problem I continue to see is their puck management. Too many blind passes,hope passes and carelessness with the puck at their own blueline which turn into prime scoring chances. Even on the pp they never have much zone time because they are too lackadaisical with the puck and turn it over easily. As a team, they are just not strong on the puck.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins